SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server 2017 powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server 2017 brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. SSMS 18.2 default language display bug

Hi, SSMS 18.2 displays the default language for all logins as Arabic, and my default language is us_english.

I'm using language 1033 so this shouldn't display as Arabic. I tried with a few servers - all the same. This is across all versions of the database engine from 2008, 2012, 2014, 2017 etc.

querying sys.server_principals shows this isn't actually the case so this seems to be display bug in SSMS 18.2

39 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

10 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. SSMS 2016 does not remember added SQL Snippets folder

You can add your own snippets in SSMS bij using the Code Snippet Manager.
    In the Code Snippet Manager window you have the possibility to add a folder containing customer snippets by using the "Add..." button.
    This works fine as long as you're not closing SSMS. After restarting SSMS you have to add the folder again because it is no longer available in the snippets.

32 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

23 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Remove the word "Initial" in SSMS, Object Explorer, Database Properties, Files.

Right-click a database, Properties, Files. There's a column named "Initial Size (MB". The word "Initial" should be removed. It is incorrect to have that word there. What we see here is the current size. This is particularly confusing for tempdb since people tend to think that what you see here is indeed the initial size (size at startup, from sys.master_files), which is not correct. Again, you see the current size!

32 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  5 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. SSMS bug: missing ellipsis for truncated field values (Results to Grid)

This bug led me to think the values were different than actual ones: sometimes, when truncating values due to column width, SSMS 2017 (17.7) doesn't put ellipsis (…) in the end of the truncated value, and users are misled to think the value is not truncated.

29 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. SSMS2018 - Installed, but will not run

Original post is here, with additional customer failure report: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/76236e43-dc82-4586-bf7f-b01ff6374462/ssms2018-installed-but-will-not-run?forum=sqltools

Windows 2016 Standard Edition. Brand new Hyper-V image. No prior SSMS on the server. Freshly installed SQL 2014, 16, and 17, Standard and Enterprise as 6 named instances. Restarted multiple times. Repaired the SSMS install. Restarted. I chose to install in a named folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\SSMS18 ..\Common7\ Size on disk: (1,090,367,488 bytes)

All that shows is the splash screen, then nothing. Run as administrator - I am a Local Admin - nothing.

Event Viewer - Nothing.

Uninstalled. Reboot. Reinstalled to default location.

WORKS FOR ME, but NOBODY ELSE on…

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

33 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. SQL Server Management Studio: Restore Database from Device HANGS on clicking "..."

When I wish to restore a database from a .back file, I go into SSMS, select Tasks->Restore Database, and on the dialog, I click the "From Device" radio button, and then click the "..." button to browse to the .bak file I wish to restore. This then HANGS for MINUTES before the "select a backup device" dialog appears and allows me to drill down and select the backup file.

I have literally HUNDREDS and HUNDREDS (maybe THOUSANDS) of *.bak files on a big data drive with lots of folders. It seems like it might be trying to iterate over all…

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

32 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. SSMS 17 Tools > Options > Environment > Fonts and Colors missing Display items

In a generic SSMS 17.2 install on a Windows 7 64-bit workstation, if I open Tools > Options > Environment > Fonts and Colors, I only get 3 items in the 'Display items:' list: Plain Text, Selected Text, and Inactive Selected Text. I have no options to change anything else. In my SSMS 2016 install, I have over 200 items in the 'Display items:' pick list. Comparison screenshot here: https://imgur.com/a/XiGMm

I have tried resetting all settings to default in the Import and Export Settings Wizard. No change.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. The DELETE key does not work as expected when trying to rename a database object in Object Explorer.

The DELETE key does not work as expected when trying to rename a database object in Object Explorer. The BACKSPACE key works correctly.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. SSMS 17.5 Intellisense not working for Azure Server

I am running SSMS 17.5 and attaching to an Azure server with 35 Databases and over 50 users.

If I connect to a local DB intellisense works fine. On the Azure server there is nothing. No Intellisense at all. It is turned on (TextEditor -> IntelliSense -> Enable Intellisense) and working against other servers.

My questions are:

Could this be a bug in SSMS 17.5?
    Is there a setting in SQL server to disable Intellisense queries?

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. SSMS 17.6 crashes when clicking on a schedule in a maintenance plan

SQL Server Management Studio 17.6 (version 14.0.17230.0) crashes when I click on the schedule icon for a subplan (from a SQL Server 2016 SP1 CU4 instance). In Event Viewer, I find the following event from ".Net Runtime":

Application: Ssms.exe
    Framework Version: v4.0.30319
    Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
    Exception Info: System.NullReferenceException
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SqlMgmt.ScheduleDialog.InitializeControls()
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SqlMgmt.ScheduleDialog..ctor(Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SqlMgmt.JobScheduleData)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.DatabaseMaintenance.DbMaintDiagramHostCtrl.ChangeShedule()
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.DatabaseMaintenance.DbMaintDiagramHostCtrl.grid_MouseButtonClicked(System.Object, Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.Grid.MouseButtonClickedEventArgs)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.Grid.GridControl.OnMouseButtonClicked(Int64, Int32, System.Drawing.Rectangle, System.Windows.Forms.MouseButtons)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.Grid.GridControl.HandleButtonLBtnUp(Int32, Int32)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.Grid.GridControl.ProcessLeftButtonUp(Int32, Int32)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.Grid.GridControl.OnMouseUp(System.Windows.Forms.MouseEventArgs)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef, System.Windows.Forms.MouseButtons, Int32)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.Grid.GridControl.WndProc(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control+ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control+ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef)
    at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.DebuggableCallback(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr)

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. SSMS 17.6 Crash when opening scheduler task for a maintenance task

When conencting for far to

2012 sp3
    2014 sp2
    2016 sp1

I crash anytime I try to open the scheduler task, I still had a VM with 17.4 and this works correctly on the same versions.

New or already created one. No time to enter or modify as it crash on load.

Event id 1000
    Faulting application name: Ssms.exe, version: 2017.140.17230.0, time stamp: 0x5aa77b02
    Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x15723a35
    Faulting process id: 0x163c
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d3c19109d5c915
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\140\Tools\Binn\ManagementStudio\Ssms.exe
    Faulting module path: unknown …

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Unable to horizontal scroll Results pane via mouse wheel in SSMS

My mouse has a horizontal scroll wheel. I can use the horizontal scroll in the Query pane, but if I select the Results pane, I can't scroll horizontally using my mouse. If I scroll to the left by dragging the scroll bar, and then try to use the horizontal scroll wheel on my mouse, the Results pane snaps to the leftmost position.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Batch mode window aggregate arithmetic overflow bug

The following query performs a windowed SUM over a columnstore table with 1500 total rows, each of which has the value 0 or 1, and it overflows the INT data type. This appears to be a bug in the batch mode window aggregate operator.

SELECT a, p, s, v, m, n,

SUM(CASE WHEN n IS NULL THEN 0 ELSE 1 END)

OVER (PARTITION BY s, v, a ORDER BY p) AS lastNonNullPartition

FROM (

SELECT a, p, s, v, m, n,

RANK() OVER (PARTITION BY v, s, a, p ORDER BY m) AS rank
    FROM #t /* A columnstore table
    9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. SSMS 17.3 Font and Color setting limit changes to 4 areas

After upgrading to ver. 17.3 of SSMS 2017, I am unable to enlarge the default font size used for grids or the object explorer (Environment Font). After running a search I several posts in the SQL Server Forum, but after trying the fix mosts sided, which was uninstalling 17.3, then install 17.2 and do the upgrade to 17.3. This was ineffective for me and others.

Under "Show settings for:" instead of listing all the options that should be listed, I see only the following. This is obviously a bug. Has anyone found a solution that fixes this problem?

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. new TRANSLATE function syntax not recognized by SSMS 17.3

The new TRANSLATE function is not recognized as valid syntax by SSMS 17.3 intellisense, though it executes just fine against SQL Server 17 instances. The TRANSLATE syntax is underlined in red with the warning "'TRANSLATE' is not a recognized built-in function name"

Tested against SQL Server 17 RTM.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  6 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. SSMS v17 - Object must implement IConvertible. (mscorlib)

When a query is selected with the mouse/keyboard, and then "Analyze Query in Database Engine Tuning Advisor" option in the context menu is selected the following error appears.

"The argument type 'server type = Sql, server name = KSHQ-DB, timeout = 30, database = KSH_Cloudcare, protocol = NotSpecified, workstation = , integrated security = True' cannot be converted into parameter type 'Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Common.SqlConnectionInfo'. (mscorlib)
    Object must implement IConvertible. (mscorlib)"

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. SSMS Install with SQL Server 2016 causes Device Manager conflict on VS location sensor driver

If you take (as an example) a clean machine, with no VS or SQL Server yet, install SQL Server 2016 (say community but doesn't matter), Device Manager is fine, no conflicts (no VS location sensor driver yet)...Then you install SSMS (production/GA version 16.5.3), you get a Device Manager conflict (yellow exclamation mark/can't load driver error) on a new sensor entry called "Microsoft Visual Studio Location Simulator Sensor".

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Incorrect GrantedQueryMemory(KB) Value on SQL Performance Dashboard or SSMS17.9

The inbuilt SQL Dashboard within newer versions of SSMS displays report for GrantedQueryMemory(KB) column for current request sub report. The value displays the wrong number as output displayed is in bytes while column says KB.

I have verified using the dmv "sys.dmexecquery_stats" which lists this number in no.of pages which later is converted to KB

When checking within rdl file we can see that conversion is made with expression as =8192 * Fields!grantedquerymemory.value which gets this value in bytes.

Therefore we might need to change that expression to = 8 * Fields!grantedquerymemory.value

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. SSMS pop-up windows/forms on same screen where SSMS window is active.

When right clicking in the object explorer on an element, i.e., "Tables" and wanting to perform an action such as filtering tables by going to Filter > Filter Settings, the filter settings form can appear on the other screen than where SSMS is currently active -- which is quite distracting.

I believe this is due to the initial position of SSMS on startup. If you move the SSMS window to another screen, the opening of forms/windows etc. will remain on the original screen and not follow the main SSMS window.

Watch this clip: https://d.pr/v/v7dq8v
    Notice that you can only see…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Locate backups in azure container fails when Shared Access Signature contains sip parameter

1. I have a SAS created as here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/relational-databases/lesson-1-create-stored-access-policy-and-shared-access-signature, but i added ip restrictions (IpRange argument in GetSharedAccessSignature ), so that sas contains paramter sip=x.x.x.x-y.y.y.y

2. When I use this SAS in SSMS 17.4 to restore the backup, then in the "Locate Backup File In Microsoft Auzre" popup i cannot see any files. The reason is that SSMS issues invalid rest call, as it does not include the sip parameter, and that is the reason why the call is not authorized.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 21 22
  • Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base