SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. CmdExec job step editor slow to open

In SSMS 18.2, when trying to edit a CmdExec job step, the editor is super slow to open, often takes 30 or more seconds. This same behavior does not happen with T-SQL job steps.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

4 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. SqlPackage.exe - CREATE USER [<name>] FOR EXTERNAL PROVIDER;

CREATE USER [<name>] FROM EXTERNAL PROVIDER; is the correct syntax for creating database users from Azure AD.

SqlPackage.exe generates CREATE USER [<name>] FOR EXTERNAL PROVIDER;. Executing this creates an invalid database user.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. 18.2 Tabbing Bug Not Updating Query Window Text

If I have multiple query tabs open at a time, switching between tabs causes a lag in actual displaying the content of the new tab.

For example, if I have two tabs open with different queries on each tab. If I switch from one tab to another, the content doesn't appear to change in the query window, but if I highlight the text, then it'll change. This has been happening since the 18.0 GA release and I was hoping subsequent updates would fix it, but they have not. I have attached three files.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Hybrid Buffer Pool using all conventional memory on SQL Server 2019 CTP 3.0 when trace flag 834 is enabled

In SQL Server 2019 CTP 3:

1. Set your max server memory so that SQL Server doesn't use all the memory on the box - in my case, I'm using a 16GB VM, and I set max memory to 10GB

2. Enable Locked Pages in Memory and trace flag 834 (large pages)

3. Restart the SQL Server. SQL Server uses the appropriate amount of memory, say 10GB.

4. Enable Hybrid Buffer Pool:

5. Enable hybrid buffer pool:

EXEC spconfigure 'show advanced', 1;
    RECONFIGURE
    EXEC sp
    configure 'hybrid', 0
    RECONFIGURE

And restart the SQL Server. SQL Server instantly uses all of the memory on the…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. SSIS Server Maintenance job fails

For most recent CUs of 2017 SQL the native SSIS Server Maintenance job Fails (for AlwaysOn at least). See notes here.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/9ce94c74-d552-48ec-8621-8be3124c53bc/ssisdb-2017-cu8-running-in-always-on-group-maintenance-procedure-bug?forum=sqlintegrationservices

Manually modifying the proc if executes will fix the error but that isn't something end users should be changing.

Resolution: The cursor deallocate statement on line 175 of proc "ssisdb.internal.cleanupserverretention_window" needs to be moved two lines down.

http://answers.flyppdevportal.com/MVC/Post/Thread/238eb212-f757-4ce8-acea-e4c579628bd2?category=sqlintegrationservices

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. DacFx - LongRunningQueryTimeoutSeconds assigned wrong value

When a DacService.Publish is run for the 1st time on a clean machine, it creates some registry keys in "Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\SQLDB\Database", however, when LongRunningQueryTimeoutSeconds is created, it then reads back the value from 'QueryTimeoutSeconds', so it gets setup with the wrong value (60 as apposed to 0), this can cause the publish to fail, but then work correctly the next time it is run.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. SSMS 17.9.1 Activity Monitor pauses when open Processes tab

When running SSMS 17.9.1 Activity Monitor to SQL Server with around 2100 connections listed in sys.dmexecconnections and 1700 in sysprocesses and 1600 rows in sys.dmexecsessions with an active workload the query Activity Monitor pauses and tracing SSMS using the tracing in Tools\Binn\ManagementStudio\Ssms.exe.config shows a query timeout after 30 seconds:
    <system.diagnostics>

&lt;sources&gt; 

&lt;source name=&quot;global&quot; switchName=&quot;SourceSwitch&quot; switchType=&quot;System.Diagnostics.SourceSwitch&quot; &gt;
    &lt;listeners&gt;
    &lt;add name=&quot;logFile&quot; type=&quot;Microsoft.SqlServer.Diagnostics.STrace.LogFileTraceListener, Microsoft.SqlServer.Diagnostics.STrace, Version=13.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91&quot; logPath=&quot;C:\temp\logs&quot; &gt;
    &lt;/add&gt;

Capturing the query Activity Monitor runs and running the query directly in SQL Query Analyser completes after 38 seconds:
    WITH profiled_sessions as (

SELECT DISTINCT session_id profiled_session_id from sys.dm_exec_query_profiles

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Connection-terminating error when inlining scalar UDF in a view in 2019 CTP2.2

When we installed SQL Server 2019 CTP 2.2 on a testing server and began running a test workload, we immediately saw connection-terminating errors every time a particular view was accessed.

We narrowed the issue down to a view that uses a scalar UDF, and that scalar UDF has a call to the USER_NAME() function. The error does not happen when a sysadmin is logged in, but does happen for a login with dbo privileges on the database.

The attached file contains a simplified, standalone reproduction of the issue (submitted as .txt because the system says .sql files are not allowed).

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. SQL 2016 Server Agent does not read Windows Credential when running a job step with Proxy

When running an SSIS package to copy files to Azure File Storage, a Windows Credential is used with the Azure credential information to be able to authenticate. This works fine in Visual Studio, and when executing package manually through SSISDB when deployed to server - but not when executed through SQL Server Agent using a proxy. The proxy credential have the correct Windows Credentials provided using cmdkey. The package execution fails with "The file name specified in the connection was not valid". Both UNC and drive mapping variant fails.

A similar problem here:
    https://stackoverflow.com/questions/46497728/sql-server-agent-untrusted-domain-message/46567995#46567995

And here:
    https://stackoverflow.com/questions/52228418/ssis-package-not-picking-up-configured-windows-credential-manager-credentials

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. 7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Intellisense is noticeably slower in SSMS 18

Intellisense is so slow it makes SSMS 18 Preview 4 unuable. I've reverted back to 17.9 for now. I ran them side by side on my machine to make sure it wasn't just an my machine or environment, but 17.9 performs well and 18 has extensive lag pulling up table names and fields as I type SQL queries.

Below is the version info from my install of SSMS18:

SQL Server Management Studio 15.0.18040.0
    Microsoft Analysis Services Client Tools 15.0.900.156
    Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) 10.0.16299.15
    Microsoft MSXML 3.0 6.0
    Microsoft Internet Explorer 9.11.16299.0
    Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0.30319.42000
    Operating System 6.3.16299

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Cardinality estimator expects rows to be filtered in OUTER JOIN when dimension table has higher cardinality than fact

Executing a query with an OUTER JOIN can cause the cardinality estimator to expect rows being filtered out. This should never be the case if we're doing an OUTER JOIN and can result in performance issues as the row set and memory needed for downstream operators is underestimated.

Attached is a reproduction script and some sample data. A few additional observations:
    - This seems to happen when the dimension has a higher cardinality than the fact table. Perhaps not the main use case, but we have financials where codes may be added/removed over time, while the dimension table will contain…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Make Central Management Server remember Azure Integrated authentication for Azure SQL DB

In SSMS 17.8.1 we have a number of Azure SQL DB instances registered in our CMS.

Everytime we re-open SSMS the CMS switches the authentication method back to "Windows Authentication"

Manually switching back to "Azure - Integrated" works, but this option should be persisted and remembered in the CMS.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. VS2017 and SSDT Graph table with custom columnstore index wrong publish script

VS 15.7.4
    SSDT 15.1.61804.210

We have a SQL Server Database project with a Graph table and we created a Clusted Columnstore Index in it as follow:

CREATE CLUSTERED COLUMNSTORE INDEX [IXCCSindex_name]

ON [schema_name].[table_name];

Trying to publish it from VS, wrong t-sql script is created:

CREATE CLUSTERED INDEX [IXCCSindex_name]

ON [schema_name].[table_name] ([$edge_id]);

CREATE CLUSTERED COLUMNSTORE INDEX [IXCCSindex_name]

ON [schema_name].[table_name] WITH (DROP_EXISTING = ON);

The first CREATE INDEX fails, to successfully publish the index we had to remove square brackets specifying column name:

CREATE CLUSTERED INDEX [IXCCSindex_name]

ON [schema_name].[table_name] ($edge_id);

CREATE CLUSTERED COLUMNSTORE INDEX…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. VS2017 and SSDT doesn't import every Graph Database Objects

VS 15.7.4
    SSDT 15.1.61804.210

We created a new SQL Server Database Project in VS2017 and imported a database that use Graph DB features.
    We found that not every edge tables were impoted in project, it seems only tables with custom columns were imported.
    Edges with graph metadata columns only are ignored.

You can see an example in the screenshot.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. 7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. 'Windows API call "RegGetValueW"' error when displaying version in SQLLocalDB Utility 2016 and newer

When using the "v" switch for the SQLLOCALDB command-line utility, it can only display versions 2012 and 2014. Starting with SQL Server 2016, the utility can no longer display installed versions of SQL Server Express LocalDB.

In a command prompt, if I run the following:

C:&gt;sqllocaldb v

It returns the following (and I have versions 2012, 2014, 2016, and 2017 installed, running on Windows 10 Home Edition):

Microsoft SQL Server 2012 (11.0.7462.6)
    Microsoft SQL Server 2014 (12.0.5214.6)
    Windows API call "RegGetValueW" returned error code: 0.

The SQL Server 2017 version of SQLLOCALDB.EXE is being used, as indicated by the first…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  4 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. SSMS Crash Faulting module name ucrtbase.dll Exception code 0xc0000409

I also have a memory dump if necessary.

Faulting application name: Ssms.exe, version: 2017.140.17199.0, time stamp: 0x59d44f4f
    Faulting module name: ucrtbase.dll, version: 10.0.14393.1770, time stamp: 0x59bf2b5a
    Exception code: 0xc0000409
    Fault offset: 0x000891cb
    Faulting process id: 0x263c
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d39909f6e1ea59
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\140\Tools\Binn\ManagementStudio\Ssms.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\ucrtbase.dll
    Report Id: 07a53298-3a3f-4a67-97f7-5a15f1dd1cb1
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I’m not able to repro this issue in both SSMS 18.0 (current development bits) and SSMS 17.9.1.

I tried to follow the repro outlined by @Mattias’ below. My steps:
    1) Install SSDT 15.8.2
    2) Create simple SSIS package and converted to Package Deployment Model
    3) Added simple “Send Mail” Task (minimal info, but enough to try to connect and send e/mail)
    4) Rebuild and generated .dtsx file
    5) Open SSMS, navigate to SSISDB node
    6) Create new folder F1
    7) Right clicked on Projects and selected “Import Packages…”
    8) Pointed the wizard to the .dtsx file and let it do the conversion (.dtsx → .ispac)
    9) Then, I continued the wizard do to the deployment
    10) No crashes observed: I was even able to run the package.

Could you review my steps and see if I’m doing anything differently? FWIW, my server was SQL2017 (latest CU).

19. Support compression on TDE enabled database transaction log backup from log shipping.

With SQL 2016, it becomes possible to compress TDE enabled database backup using explicit option of MAXTRANSFERSIZE if it is greater than default 64K.

However for log shipping, it seems impossible to compress LS generated transaction log backup if database is TDE encrypted. This is because the system stored procedure spaddlogshippingprimary_database does not offer parameter @maxtransfersize, therefore compression is not kicked in.

Is this a bug or by design? Will it be fixed in future release?

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Microsoft.SqlServer.Types - Unable to find an entry point named 'SetClrFeatureSwitchMap' in DLL 'SqlServerSpatial110.dll'.

When trying the use EntityFramework to save changes to an Entity with a Geo-Spatial datatype I get this error.

Unable to find an entry point named 'SetClrFeatureSwitchMap' in DLL 'SqlServerSpatial110.dll'.
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Types.GLNativeMethods.SetClrFeatureSwitchMap(Int32 clrFeatureSwitchMap)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Types.SqlGeometry.IsValidExpensive()
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Types.SqlGeometry..ctor(GeoData g, Int32 srid)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Types.SqlGeometry.Construct(GeoData g, Int32 srid)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Types.SqlGeometry.GeometryFromText(OpenGisType type, SqlChars text, Int32 srid)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Types.SqlGeometry.STGeomFromText(SqlChars geometryTaggedText, Int32 srid)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Types.SqlGeometry.Parse(SqlString s)

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 53

<=-=Jan 14 2016 2:35AM=-=>

I think this is caused by new dlls from SQL Server 2012 SP3. One system with Microsoft.SqlServer.Types.dll file version 2011.110.5058.0 works, another with 2011.110.2011.60 breaks with this error.

<=-=Jan 14 2016 4:36AM=-=>

Cause tracked down to version Microsoft.SqlServer.Types.dll v11.0.0 (file version: 2011.110.2011.60 ) which comes as part of MS SQL Server 2012 SP3.
    SP2 is fine and has Microsoft.SqlServer.Types.dll v11.0.0 (file version: 2011.110.5058.0 ) so I removed SP3 from my system but it was still in my GAC (check C:\Windows\assembly and look at properties of the file)
    so had to do the below to overwrite it. That solved it for me.

>gacutil /i “path_to_the_older_nonbroken_version_of_\Microsoft.SqlServer.Types.dll” /f

<=-=Jan 14 2016 5:31AM=-=>

I think I may have got the version of the SP3 dll wrong, it was 11.0.6020.0

<=-=Jan 14 2016 6:15AM=-=>

Sorry confused myself. Version which is broken for me is Microsoft.SqlServer.Types.dll File version = 2011.110.6020,…

• Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base