SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. SQL Server 2017 Express LocalDB Shared Instance Connections Fail

Using SQL Server 2016 Express LocalDB I can create a shared instance and connect to it by name, e.g. "(localdb).\SharedTestingInstance". After upgrading to SQL Server 2017 and applying the latest CU (puts me at version 14.0.3048.4) the connection now times out. Here are the steps to recreate:

SqlLocalDB versions
    SqlLocalDB create TestingInstance
    SqlLocalDB share TestingInstance SharedTestingInstance
    SqlLocalDB info
    SQLCMD -S "(localdb)\TestingInstance" -Q "SELECT 'hello'"
    SQLCMD -S "(localdb).\SharedTestingInstance" -Q "SELECT 'hello'"
    SqlLocalDB unshare TestingInstance
    SqlLocalDB stop TestingInstance
    SqlLocalDB delete TestingInstance

And here is the output:

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> SqlLocalDB versions
    Microsoft SQL Server 2017 (14.0.3048.4)
    PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> SqlLocalDB create TestingInstance
    LocalDB instance…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

4 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. SSMS graphical execution plan doesn't show IsNotNull seek predicate

The IsNotNull node under the SeekKeys node of execution plan XML is not being displayed at all in the graphical execution plan for an Index Seek. This makes it look like the IS NOT NULL portion of the predicate is being ignored unless you look at the XML.

SentryOne Plan Explorer correctly parses and displays the IsNotNull node - see the attached screenshot pe-vs-ssms.PNG. That's hovering over the Index Seek operator for the same execution plan in both tools.

The problematic XML looks like this in my example query:

<SeekKeys>

<Prefix ScanType="EQ">
    <RangeColumns>
    <ColumnReference Database="[StackOverflow2010]" Schema="[dbo]" Table="[Comments]" Alias="[c]" Column="PostId" />
    8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Fix merge bug on temporal history tables with indexes

Fix bug in temporal tables where indexes on history tables result in the error: Attempting to set a non-NULL-able column's value to NULL when an MERGE is performed. Exact steps to replicate can be found here:
    https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/f4fbdfcc-c10e-4412-8011-2bbd3cdda5eb/merge-on-temporal-table-fails-with-attempting-to-set-a-nonnullable-columns-value-to-null?forum=sqldatabaseengine

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. -Database parameter on Invoke-SqlCmd powershell cmdlet should accept the output from Get-SqlDatabase cmdlet

Following on from a conversation on https://www.powershellgallery.com/packages/Sqlserver/21.0.17279
    The -Database parameter on the Invoke-SqlCmd cmdlet takes a [string] as its input, but ideally should be able to cope with receiving the output object from the Get-SqlDatabase cmdlet.
    As the -Instance parameter does successfully take the output of the Get-SqlInstance cmdlet, I assume this is a bug.
    Issue can be reproduced like so:

$SQLCred = Get-Credential -UserName "dbUser"

$instance = Get-SqlInstance 192.168.1.100 -Cred $SQLCred #Works fine

$db = Get-SqlDatabase -Name "test_db" -ServerInstance $instance #Works fine

$results = Invoke-SqlCmd -Database $db -ServerInstance $Instance -Query "Select column FROM view" -Cred $SqlCred # Throws that…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. SQL Server 2016 SP2 CU1 deletes Database Mail file

Installing the above mentioned CU deletes this file...

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server<instance>\MSSQL\Binn\DatabaseMail.exe.config

It results in Database Mail being queued but never sent.
    This appears to be a return to an issue caused by SP1 CU1, as described here...

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3186435/fix-sql-server-2016-database-mail-does-not-work-on-a-computer-that-doe

To fix, follow the workarounds in the article. Hopefully this latest CU hasn't broken anything else!

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. SSRS 2016 SP2 no longer respects text/html MIMEType

An HTML file uploaded to SSRS 2016 SP1 would be identified as mimetype text/html. From the Report Manager portal you could click the link and it would be rendered in a browser window.

After installing 2016 sp2 the mime type for the exact same file is now application/octet-stream. When clicking the link for this file from report manager, it prompts for download instead of opening in a browser window.

This occurs in I.E, Edge, FF and Chrome.

The Use case is uploading an HTML file to include a link/redirect to our data dictionary website to keep our users inside of…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  4 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Opening Schema Compare Options crashes SSDT

I open a saved schema comparison and press the arrow in front of "Application Scoped" on the "Object Types" tab. This makes SSDT crash immediately.

Microsoft SQL Server Data Tools for Visual Studio 2017 (SSDT)
    Version 15.6.6
    VisualStudio.15.Release/15.6.6+27428.2037
    Microsoft .NET Framework
    Version 4.7.02556
    SQL Server Data Tools 15.1.61801.210
    Microsoft SQL Server Data Tools

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. The "Number of Rows Read" property is incorrect when the Predicate property contains a PROBE

Scan and Seek operators in newer versions of SQL Server report a property "Number of Rows Read" in the actual execution plan which is incredibly usesful when troubleshooting slow queries. However, it reports a misleading number of the execution plan contains a Bitmap operator and the bitmap is probed as part of the Predicate of the scan operator.

This can be demonstrated in ContosoRetailsDW with the queries below:

SELECT ds.StoreManager,

dp.BrandName,

SUM(fos.TotalCost)

FROM dbo.FactOnlineSales AS fos
    INNER JOIN dbo.DimStore AS ds

ON   ds.StoreKey = fos.StoreKey

INNER JOIN dbo.DimProduct AS dp

ON   dp.ProductKey = fos.ProductKey

WHERE ds.EmployeeCount < 30
    AND dp.ColorName…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Error with Detail Rows Expression when used with Excel drillthrough

With a SSAS Tabular model on compatibility Level 1400, I have defined a Default Rows Expression to allow the client to obtain specific columns when connecting with an Excel pivot table but in Excel 2016 the following error is returned when the drillthrough is executed:

"RETURN clause cannot be used with the DRILLTHROUGH statement when a DetailRows expression is already defined on the measure 'Transaction Count'"

I have defined the Default Detail Rows Expression at the table level and have not defined a Detail Rows expression on any measures individually. My understanding is that if no expression is defined on…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  6 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. SQL Server should not raise illogical errors

You already have tons of these bug reports, and I bet that you have closed them all "by design" and told people to use the CASE statement. But, no, you are wrong. This is a bug, and should be fixed. Although the fix is to add new functionality, hang on.

Consider this silly repro:

create table albert(a int NOT NULL,

b varchar(23) NOT NULL)

create table stina (a int NOT NULL)

go
    insert albert (a, b)

values  (1, &#39;99&#39;), 

(2, &#39;Gurka&#39;),
    (3, &#39;89&#39;)

insert stina (a) values(1), (3), (9), (12)
    go
    SELECT a.a, a.b + 100

FROM albert a
    JOIN…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 82

<=-=Mar 3 2010 10:44AM=-=>

Hi Erland,
    Thanks for your feedback. We are aware of this request and hope to address it in a future version of SQL Server.

Umachandar, SQL Programmability Team

<=-=Jul 21 2010 5:36PM=-=>

This bug cost me and others about 8 hours of troubleshooting this week. And the query was working until statistics were updated. That’s the spooky part, that a new join order can cause an error in a previously-working query. This was compounded by the fact that the query was in a UDF and 1) error messages don’t list the line in the UDF but rather the calling SP and 2) I know of no way to see the execution plan of a UDF, which would have helped because I could have seen in the plan the conversion to float before the JOIN to the filtering table.

<=-=Mar 9 2011 12:08PM=-=>

11. SSMS / Management Studio shows wrong decimal separator

When the regional settings of the computer has , as decimal separator, management studio will use it to format float -columns, but for decimal(x,x) it still uses . instead. This is quite annoying since . is used as a separator in dates, so copying data into excel tries to turn numbers into dates.

This same issue exists at least in all versions from 2005 up to 2016 CPT2. I think there was a connect item for this earlier too, but I can't find it anymore.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. SSRS 2016 Report Descriptions missing in report manager tiles

In the new report manager which came SQL Server 2016 i'm missing the report description in the tiles.

In our environment we used this field as a user friendly report name and the report name property as just a code. This way we could easily link to existing reports and never have to worry about changing report names, but without the descriptions the users won't know which report they must open.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 8

<=-=Oct 19 2016 4:13PM=-=>

Thanks for your feedback Mark. A change for this is coming with SQL server 2016 SP1.

-SSRS team

<=-=Oct 19 2016 4:13PM=-=>

Thanks for your feedback Mark. A change for this is coming with SQL server 2016 SP1.

-SSRS team

<=-=Jan 24 2017 3:17PM=-=>

We have an SSRS 2016 SP1 Developer Edition instance running in native mode, and we still do not see descriptions on the report tiles.

<=-=Aug 1 2017 1:39AM=-=>

We are using SQL server 2016 SP CU3 and I don’t see any description on my reports, do you know if the change have been done ?

13. cannot change GridResults background color

I still cannot change the background color on the grid results pane in SSMS. Changing the foreground color works, and I can change the background color on the text editor without issues, but it does not work for grid results. This has been broken since SQL 2005. WTFFFFFFF

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Plain Text Password in Maintenance Plans

The user and password of the user that create a Maintenance Plans using the MSSMS is save in plain text, you can use the following query to access this informaci�n.

SELECT CAST(CAST(packagedata AS VARBINARY(max)) AS VARCHAR(max)) FROM sysssispackages
    WHERE name LIKE 'MaintenancePlansName'

This will show the xml of Maintenance Plans including the user and password.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. SSDT Clustered ColumnStore Rebuild Behaviour

When adding a column to a table with a clustered column store index SSDT performs the following actions:
    1) Drop the CCS
    2) Adds the new column
    3) Adds a standard clustered index (non unique) on the first column
    4) Adds a clustered columnstore index using with DROP EXISTING ON

It should just add the column - there is no need to drop and create the index twice.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Microsoft SQL Server 2014: Incorrect result when selecting from nested query with UNION in CROSS APPLY

When selecting from a nested query in an OUTER APPLY statement the nested query seems to be evaluated only once in certain circumstances.

Test Case 1

Evaluates nested FROM query for every row in VALUES (imho expected behaviour)

SELECT

v,

v2

FROM

(VALUES (1), (2), (3), (4)) AS inner_query(v)

OUTER APPLY (
    SELECT
    MAX(inner_v2) AS v2
    FROM (
    SELECT
    15 AS id,
    v AS inner_v2
    ) AS outer_query
    GROUP BY id
    ) AS outer_apply

Result:

| v | v2|
    |---|---|
    | 1 | 1 |
    | 2 | 2 |
    | 3 | 3 |
    | 4 | 4 | …

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. SQL server crashed (with dump) on this query (2017, latest CU)

SQL server crashed on this query
    Query is attached
    Database can be found here (5Mb backup) https://gofile.io/?c=R8oJ1Q

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. TRY_PARSE and PARSE produce an error converting "NaN" value into Real or Float

DECLARE @R REAL = TRY_PARSE('NaN' as REAL)
    SELECT @R
    GO

DECLARE @F FLOAT = TRY_PARSE('NaN' as FLOAT)
    SELECT @F
    GO

Both statements instead of NULL return an Error: "An error occurred while executing batch. Error message is: Arithmetic Overflow."

Moreover, you can insert value in a table and any query, which will hit that value will fail with that error.

DBCC CHECKDB recognizes it as a corruption.

Seen on 2016 & 2019 on premise.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. SQL Server 2019 scalar functions with inline are broken

This SQL code returns "a" instead of "asdfg":

CREATE FUNCTION [dbo].[GetPayload2] (@ID int) RETURNS VARCHAR(300) AS
    BEGIN
    IF @ID = 1
    RETURN 'asdfg'
    RETURN ''
    END
    GO
    SELECT dbo.GetPayload2(1)

Reproduced on both 15.0.2000.5 and 15.0.2070.41. Works fine in SQL Server 2017.
    Workaround is to use WITH INLINE = OFF.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. when i switched between tabs, new tab still show previous tab text. Please fix asap

when i switched between tabs in SSMS 18.4, new tab still show previous tab text. Please fix asap

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base