SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server 2017 powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server 2017 brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

Do you have a comment or suggestion to improve SQL Server? We’d love to hear it!

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. VS 2017 SSDT SSIS Dark Theme fail

VS 2017 SSDT SSIS Dark Theme: Annotations and dataflow row numbers are in white text, therefore invisible.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 4

<=-=Oct 12 2017 11:54AM=-=>

Agreed – it’s pretty much unusable with the dark theme. See attachment of screenshot.

<=-=Oct 12 2017 11:55AM=-=>

Apparently I can’t add an attachment so for a screenshot look here: https://i.imgur.com/X2PfTp7.png

<=-=Oct 25 2017 9:23AM=-=>

I am also getting this. I thought I was going crazy! When I was using VS 2015 my canvas color was black, so the dark theme worked. But now that I have installed windows 10 and VS 2017 fresh, and the white text on cream background is totally unreadable. Is there any way to change the canvas color?

2. Key Lookup against Columnstore Index Causes Slow Query Execution

On tables with a clustered columnstore index and a b-tree index on the same table, some parameter sets get an execution plan with an index seek against the b-tree, and then key lookup (in row mode) against the columnstore. This is extremely expensive, and most of the queries against larger columnstores never complete. The remedy is to hint the columnstore index in the query. I can supply plans as needed, but apparently can't upload here.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. SSIS package fails to start - application lock timeout in SSISDB.catalog.create_execution

Details are described here:
    https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/783291/ssis-package-fails-to-start-application-lock-timeout-in-ssisdb-catalog-create-execution

In short: when a scheduled job tries to execute an SSIS package , there's a time-out in the communication between the job and the SSISDB database. The package is never executed. The original bug reports was closed as duplicate (no duplicate to be found though).

I encountered this bug in SQL Server 2017, patched to the latest CU.

Error message: Failed to execute IS server package because of error 0x80131904. Description: The operation failed because the execution timed out. Source: .Net SqlClient Data

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  6 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. SSAS Supported Compatibility level is actually showing default Compatibility in SSMS 17.3

In SSMS 17.3 with Analysis Services Client tools 14.0.1008.227 when you click on server properties for an SSAS 2017 instance it shows the "Suppported Compatibility level" as 1200 when it should show 1100,1103,1200,1400.

If you run a DISCOVER_XML_METADATA command against the SSAS 2017 instance you can see the correct data returned for the default and supported compatibility modes, it appears that the SSMS UI has just mapped this incorrectly.

<ddl400:DefaultCompatibilityLevel>1200</ddl400:DefaultCompatibilityLevel>
    <ddl600:SupportedCompatibilityLevels>1100,1103,1200,1400</ddl600:SupportedCompatibilityLevels>

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Index rebuild removes persisted sample percent

The UPDATE STATISTICS statement has a (relatively) new PERSIST_SAMPLE_PERCENT option, but when rebuilding an index which previously had statistics updated with this value set the persisted sample percent is reset back to default. I would expect the rebuild to create statistics with 100% sampling (which it does), but leave the persisted sample percent intact so that automatic statistics updates would use the previously specified value.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. xp_delete_file on SQL Server 2017/Linux

The xp_delete_file system stored procedure for deleting bakup file does not work on Linux client OS.
    Wee tested on Microsoft SQL Server 2017 (RTM-CU1) (KB4038634) - 14.0.3006.16 (X64) Enterprise Edition (64-bit) on Linux (Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS)

Script we used :
    DECLARE @BACKUP_DIR NVARCHAR(256);
    EXEC master.dbo.xp_instance_regread
    @rootkey = 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE',
    @key = 'Software\Microsoft\MSSQLServer\MSSQLServer',
    @value_name = 'BackupDirectory',
    @BackupDirectory = @BACKUP_DIR OUTPUT;
    SELECT @BACKUP_DIR
    EXEC master.sys.xp_delete_file 0, @BACKUP_DIR, N'bak', N'21111111';
    GO

Error message :
    Msg 22049, Niveau 15, État 0, Ligne 67
    Error executing extended stored procedure: Invalid Parameter

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. service broker target not functional on extended events

I filed a question on StackOverflow, if SQL Server 2017 supports a service broker service as a target for extended events. It seems to be configurable, but no events are written to the service broker queue.

Any ideas?

https://dba.stackexchange.com/questions/196571/is-there-a-service-broker-target-for-an-extended-event-session

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. SSDT 17.2 for VS 2015 - SSIS 2016 packages can't open Analysis Services Processing tasks

I upgraded an SSIS project from 2014 to 2016 using SSDT 14.0.61707.300 in Visual Studio 2015. Upon doing so, whenever I open a Analysis Services Processing Task, I get the following error:

TITLE: Analysis Services Processing Task
    ------------------------------
    Method not found: 'Microsoft.AnalysisServices.ErrorConfiguration Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Commands.BatchCommand.get_ErrorConfiguration()'.
    ------------------------------

If I revert back down to 2014, I can open it just fine. If I create a new AS Processing Task in the same package or new package in the same solution, I get the same error. If I upgrade the SSIS project to SQL2017, it magically works. The issue is only when the target version…

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 13

<=-=Dec 4 2017 3:53AM=-=>

Hi Gabe,
    I’m having a similar problem, but not only with upgraded packages.
    I’m having problems also if I create a completely new package
    with Integration Services 2016 in Visual Studio 2015 (SDDT version installed is 17.2).
    It works if I use Integration Services 2014 or 2017.

I’ve not yet found solution to that issue.

Please let me know if you identify a solution to your issue

9. Performance Dashboard / Expensive Queries / copy query text

When using the reports in the SSMS Performance Dashboard, you are unable to copy the query text from any of the "expensive queries" reports. Make it so you can either click to view the query in a new query window, or right-click the query to copy the text for pasting into a new window.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

planned  ·  0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. MSOLEDBSQL

When trying to use the new MSOELDBSQL driver as a linked server, any attempt to run a query as simple as

SELECT * FROM SERVER.master.sys.databases

results in the error message "Microsoft Distributed Transaction Coordinator (MS DTC) has stopped this transaction.", even in the trivial case where you set up a loopback server to the same instance.

There is a workaround: if you first say BEGIN DISTRIBUTED TRANSACTION, you can access the linked server.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. dark theme

please fix the dark theme problem. thankyou

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. SQL 2016/17 Assertion Check Bug

Running the code below will result in a severe error and stack dump, full error message below. Had others test in both 2016 and 2017 with same results. Looks like it's partially an implicit conversion issue, if you explicitly cast to DATE inside the EOMONTH no errors. It also causes the same error if you insert into a table with a datatype of DATE. It will crash even if no data is returned.

Location: e:\b\s3\sources\sql\ntdbms\storeng\dfs\access\rowbucketprocessor.inl:658
    Expression: comp_setop_types(*pValueInfo, *pParamInfo) <= 0
    SPID: 82
    Process ID: 3000
    Msg 3624, Level 20, State 1, Line 38
    A system assertion check has failed. Check…

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. SQL Server Management Studio - search interface bug, crashing SSMS

There is a bug in SQL Server Management Studio (17.9 and all below) that force the application to crash/restart. In order to reproduce follow the steps below:

1. Select database from the object explorer
    2. Press F7 to open Object Explorer Details window and perform a search to object
    3. After the search completes, select the object, right click on it and then click "synchronized" from the menu.
    4. Then click the `BACK` button several times (fast). You will get the following error:

"There is already a commandd handler for the menu command 'guid goes here: 189."

After several clicks…

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. MDS Explorer should show Attribute description of Name and Code attributes.

It's possible to set Attribute description on system attributes Name and Code in the same way as user defined attributes on an entity in MDS. But Description only shows in MDS Explorer for user defined attributes not for Name and Code. I expected this to work the same way for system and user defined attributes.

SQL Server version 13.0.4466.4
    MDS Schema version 13.1.0.3

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Fix Export/Import of Registered Servers WITH Passwords

I just did an Export of Registered Servers from one machine, running SSMS 17.5, followed by an IMPORT of that file in a machine running SSMS 17.6. Upon exporting, I left the check box blank for "Do not include user names and passwords in the export file". Yes, I am aware that it is a security risk, but I don't want to have to re-enter all my passwords again.
    Upon import, I got about a dozen errors stating "Key not valid for use in specified state." (I'm in Connecticut. Does it only work in Washington state?)
    Then it says, "Import…

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  9 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. SSMS 18.0 tabs don't display proper contents

I'm getting this CONSTANTLY on my new install of SSMS 18.0, and it's DANGEROUS. I'll open several tabs, and when I switch from one tab to another, the contents of the window don't change... I'm still looking at the old tab's contents with the new tab selected. It doesn't ALWAYS happen, but it happens at least half the time... FREQUENTLY. Further, I can close a tab, and the contents of the closed tab will still display under the new "top most" tab. This can lead to making changes to the wrong file, or being confused, and losing code. This is…

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. STRING_AGG - Multiple STRING_AGG columns defer to first delimiter

If you have multiple STRING_AGG columns with different delimiters, the delimiter specified in the first STRING_AGG column will be used for all other columns. For example:

;WITH personFruits
    AS
    (
    SELECT 'John' AS [Person], 'Apple' AS [Fruit] UNION
    SELECT 'John' AS [Person], 'Banana' AS [Fruit] UNION
    SELECT 'John' AS [Person], 'Kiwi' AS [Fruit] UNION
    SELECT 'Jane' AS [Person], 'Apple' AS [Fruit] UNION
    SELECT 'Jane' AS [Person], 'Strawberry' AS [Fruit] UNION
    SELECT 'Jane' AS [Person], 'Watermellon' AS [Fruit] UNION
    SELECT 'Jane' AS [Person], 'Grape' AS [Fruit] UNION
    SELECT 'Dale' AS [Person], 'Kiwi' AS [Fruit] UNION
    SELECT 'Dale' AS [Person], 'Watermellon' AS…

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Specified sample rate is not followed when statistics object is created on an empty table

A statistics update "WITH RESAMPLE" does not respect specified sample rate if the statistics object was created on an empty table. This behavior is best understood with an example (see the attached script).

This bug is a bit annoying because it requires the user to take a specific order of operations with their table creation, data population, and stats population to get around it. The workaround we currently have is to just insert a row with default values of each data type, create stats with the desired sample rate, and then delete that row.

x

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Don't show diagram in Microsoft SQL Server management studio 18

Hello.

I have error. I didn't see diagram in database. You can help me show diagram. I use Microsoft SQL Server management studio 18

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. BULK INSERT does not work Utf-8 support enabled for system locale

In Windows 10 (build 1803) you can go the Control Panel and select the Region applet. Here you can go to the Administrative tab and in the second half of that tab, you can change the System Locale. In this dialog, there is a checkbox "Beta: utf8 support". If you check this, reboot Windows, you find that any attempt to use BULK INSERT fails with

Msg 2775, Level 17, State 12, Line 3
    The code page 65001 is not supported by the server.

For instance

create table ttt(namn nvarchar(24) NOT NULL, col2 char(3), col3 char(3) NOT NULL)
    go
    BULK INSERT…

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Feedback and Knowledge Base