Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more here.

SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Microsoft Q&A or Stack Overflow

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Report Designer Error - Object Has Been Disconnected or Does Not Exist at the Server

As of Sep 2009, the following bug is NOT fixed in SQL 2008 but will be addressed by an upgrade (R2).

When running SQL 2008 reports in the Visual Studio (VS) 2008 report designer you encounter an obscure error message:

"An error occured during local report processing" ... "has been disconnected or does not exist at the server"

As I understand from tech support, this is a bug that is caused as a result of bad defaults on the lifetime management of certain remoting objects that are used within the VS report designer. I see this error frequently when doing…

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 37

<=-=Jul 13 2009 5:42PM=-=>

Hello, we have a pre-existing defect filed for this issue. I am closing this as a duplicate of the one we already have.

Thanks,
    Chris B.

<=-=Jul 14 2009 6:10AM=-=>

Is there another Connect issue? A tech support engineer at Microsoft agreed that I should report this bug here. The idea is to gain concensus that the regression bug should actually be fixed in the current version of the product (as opposed to being fixed in some future full release of SQL Server.)

<=-=Aug 11 2009 5:19AM=-=>

I run into this issue where the report server kicks out the error but I don’t get the error in the visual studio environment. I’m still trying how to get a fix on this because I have teams expecting this report to work and it is timing out.

<=-=Aug 31 2009 6:54AM=-=>

This bug is fixed? Can…

2. Extremely bad performance with meterialized referenced dimensions

When using Materialized Referenced Dimensions, processing performance is extremely bad, this is due to reduntant JOIN clauses (one per referenced dimension, even though they could be the same dimension only different columns) issued for the queries that process partitions, e.g

I have the following objects:

Measure groups

Load
    Count

Manifest
    Count

Dimensions

Load
    Number
    Manifest Number

Manifest
    Manifest Number
    Business Unit
    Origin Terminal
    Destination Terminal

Business Unit
    Business Unit Code

Terminal
    Terminal Code

Manifest measure group has regular relatinships with dimensions: Business Unit, Terminal (Origin, Destination - role playing).

Load measure group has a regular relationship with the Manifest dimension…

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 3

<=-=Jul 28 2009 6:10PM=-=>

Thanks a lot josegomezmontes for reporting this problem.
    We will take a look at this.
    The Analysis Services Team.

<=-=Jul 29 2009 5:46PM=-=>

Hi there,

The only workaround I can implement is not to materialize the relationships in which case the processing times goes down to half the time but query response times go from seconds to minutes.

Due to this performance problem the company is thinking of abandoming AS and use Oracle or SAP.

<=-=Jan 6 2010 10:36AM=-=>

We are continuing to investigate this issue and will keep you apprised.

Thank you for sending us this information.

The Analysis Services Team

3. Report Builder 2.0 crashes when resizing a column

After working for some time (1-2 hours) on a report, the Report Builder 2.0 application crashes.

The following error was logged on the Event Viewer:

.NET Runtime 2.0 Error Reporting

Faulting application msreportbuilder.exe, version 10.0.1600.60, stamp 48e81623, faulting module kernel32.dll, version 5.1.2600.3541, stamp 49c4f797, debug? 0, fault address 0x00012a6b.

This has happened on 2 PCs so far, both with the same version of Report Builder, and Windows XP Service Pack 2.

It happens when resizing a column.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 2

<=-=Jul 24 2009 11:27AM=-=>

Thank you for submitting this feedback. We’ve been trying to reproduce the crash you mention but have not been able to do so. Do you have any additional information about the repro steps that could help us reproduce the crash?

We have a separate feature for autosave and crash recovery that we will consider for a future release of Report Builder also.

<=-=Aug 12 2009 5:51PM=-=>

If you are able to reproduce the issue and can provide us the repro steps, please reactivate this bug. For now we are resolving it as not repro. Thank you.

<=-=Sep 29 2009 12:40AM=-=>

I have just experienced this issue (after working on a report nearly all day and not hitting the save button)… I am using 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate, and this is logged in the event log:

Log Name: Application
    Source: Application Error
    Date: 29/09/2009 5:12:04…

4. Sql2008 "msdb.dbo.sp_cycle_agent_errorlog" fails with "SQLServerAgent Error: The process cannot access the file because it is bein

On Sql2008 10.0.1600, when running "EXEC msdb.dbo.spcycleagent_errorlog" I get

Msg 22022, Level 16, State 1, Line 0
    SQLServerAgent Error: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

This same error happens on both my Sql2008 sql servers, every time I try.

I do have a couple of SqlAgent jobs that run 'continuously'
    * One is a Replication Agent
    * One is a monitor that runs, then does a WAITFOR, and runs again (and so on)

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 4

<=-=Jul 15 2009 11:36AM=-=>

Gary -

Thank you for your feedback; this is a known issue that we fixed in SQL 2008 PCU 1.

Thanks,

Amy Lewis

<=-=Dec 12 2011 2:19AM=-=>

Hi Gary, where can PCU1 be downloaded from? Is is fix also included in Service Pack1?

5. Borders are clipped when opening a email report in Outlook 2007.

Problem:
    When opening an email that holds a report with borders in Outlook 2003 it looks Ok.
    However, opening the same email in Outlook 2008 shows that some of the borders are clipped.

Cause:
    The reason is that Outlook 2007 uses Word as renderer while Outlook 2003 uses HTML.
    This in conjunction with a problem with borders of Tablix controls and Rectangle controls is the reason why borders are clipped when being viewed in Outlook 2007.

Suggested resolution:
    The suggestion on how to resolve this issue is to embed the Tablix as the only member of a Rectangle object that's…

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 0

<=-=Jan 12 2010 3:27PM=-=>

Hello,

Thanks for reporting this. This seems to be an issue wherein Outlook renders HTML content differently than Internet Explorer or other browsers. I have notified the Outlook team of this behavior, and I’m going to keep this bug open in order to track this issue on the SSRS end.

Thanks,
    Chris
    SSRS Team

<=-=Apr 26 2013 4:09PM=-=>

Thank you for filing this issue. Though this is a legitimate issue, we do not plan to address it in an upcoming release of Reporting Services. If this issue affects a production deployment, please contact Customer Support.

6. Missing fact data when Referenced Dimensions are materialized and fact attribute is NULL

When a materialized Referenced Dimension is used, AS issues SQL queries that JOIN the Fact table and the referenced dimension, the problem arises when the value for the attribute on the Fact table is NULL, records are filtered out, instead of being included as UNKNOWN member.
    The issue doesn't occur if one doesn't materialize the referenced dimension which doesn't issue a JOIN at processing time.
    The solution is to issue a LEFT JOIN instead of a JOIN.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 4

<=-=Jul 28 2009 6:38PM=-=>

Thanks a lot josegomezmontes for reporting this problem.
    We will take a look at this.

<=-=Jan 6 2010 10:55AM=-=>

Thank you for this feedback. We are investigating for a future release of SQL Server.

The Analysis Services Team

7. Using DECLARE and inline value assignment fails for multiple variables

Using DECLARE and assigning multiple variables in a report query fails.

DECLARE multiple variables and then using SET to set each works and using DECLARE and assigning one variable works. Problem seems to be when declaring and assigning multiple variables at once.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 1

<=-=Sep 2 2009 5:27PM=-=>

Thanks for your feedback. We were able to reproduce the issue internally. It turns out the DECLARE syntax you specified is new in SQL 2008 and is not recognized by the RS query schema discovery code. We are considering a fix for this in a future release. In the meantime, you can work around the issue by rewriting the query as follows:

DECLARE @Var CHAR, @Var2 CHAR SET @Var = ‘A’ SET @Var2 = ‘B’ SELECT 1 ID WHERE @Var2 = ‘B’
  8. Using the ReadBatchThreshold parameter in Logreader agent leads to slow performance

It appears the overall throughput of a SQL Server Replication logreader agent is significantly slower if specifying a value for the ReadBatchThreshold parameter on the command line.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Aug 3 2009 10:30AM=-=>

Thanks for reporting this. We will take a look at this and get back to you.

<=-=Sep 21 2009 12:13PM=-=>

Hello,

Thanks for reporting this issue, this behavior was actually by design, we are comparing the returned #of transactions and commands against max_tran and the threshold u specified when smaller we intentionally hold off the scan for the period of pollinginterval so to achieve bigger batch with more commands, this optimization was done several versions ago and I tend to agree it is more confusing than useful, therefore i will change this in next version of SQL server so we will no longer wait in the case you described here. For current versions you can workaround this behavior to some degree by reducing pollinginterval from the default 5 second to 1.

Again, thanks for contact us regarding this issue.
    Qun Guo
    SQL Server dev…

9. Wrong error number being reported when using try-catch on bulk insert

Wrong error number being reporting when using try-catch on bulk insert. I have a file that is too wide for the column. Without the try-catch I get:
    Msg 4863, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
    Bulk load data conversion error (truncation) for row 2, column 2 (LASTNAME).
    Msg 4863, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
    Bulk load data conversion error (truncation) for row 3, column 2 (LAST
    NAME).
    It is throwing an error: 4863

With the try catch I get:
    (0 row(s) affected)
    0 (this is just an @@error)

Shouldn't this throw an error message just as when I…

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jul 31 2009 1:02PM=-=>

What CATCH block? Could you try to show the actual code you are using so we can explain what is going on? I don’t see a code sample with TRY or CATCH.

<=-=Jul 31 2009 2:02PM=-=>

The problem is that you’re using @@ERROR. Use ERROR_NUMBER() in your CATCH block.

<=-=Aug 5 2009 6:43AM=-=>

I’ve added the SP I created and the try-catch block.

<=-=Aug 14 2009 3:48PM=-=>

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback, we will be investigating this issue and give you an update as soon as we have more information.

- Tobias

<=-=Sep 24 2010 11:44AM=-=>

Hi – sorry for the delay,

This behavior is connected to the value of the MAXERRORS option for the BULK INSERT statement, which specifies the maximum number of syntax errors allowed in the data before the bulk-import operation is canceled. Each row that cannot be imported by…

10. Error -2147467259 "Data provider or other service returned an E_FAIL status" when running a query from a Vista client to SQL Serve

When running a query that returns an ADO recordset of a certain size I receive an error:
    -2147467259 Data provider or other service returned an E_FAIL status.
    This problem only happens when these conditions are all met:
    � The client is Vista
    � The client is using the SQLOLEDB provider
    � SSL (Force Encryption) is enabled on the SQL Server
    � The data returned is of a certain size (changing the query or the data in the table by one byte will cause it to succeed)
    If any of these conditions is changed, the query succeeds. It seems to be…

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jul 30 2009 10:53AM=-=>

Thank-you for your feedback regarding this issue you are encountering. We are currently investigating this issue. Once we have a better understand of the problem, we will post an update.

Regards,
    Microsoft SQL Server

<=-=Jun 22 2010 12:38PM=-=>

Hi,

Thank you for reporting this problem and for the nice and simple repro scenario. We have investigated the details and found that the problem is related to a known issue which is fixed in Windows 7. As you have mentioned, for prior versions of Windows, a simple workaround exists – use SQL Server Native Client instead of WDAC. I hope this workaround is acceptable for your environment.

A bit of technical information on the issue – due to the specific of data being queried, the result is split into multiple TDS packets. When encryption is enabled, SChannel SSPI API adds an SSL trailer to…

11. Print and Print Preview Issues, "An error occurred trying to render the report. (0x80004005)", SSRS 2008

As posted on http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlreportingservices/thread/45aa9c1b-04c3-4664-8114-740ebaadf4d4

Brad Syputa replied to my post and has worked with me via email over the last week and has a simple RDL to reproduce this issue.

On a side note, Brad has been very helpful and a delight to work with.

See excerpt from original post below.

We are using SSRS 2008, and for the most part everything seems to work very well. However, on one of our more elaborate reports, we have a very intermittent issues when we attempt to print or preview the report.

The error received is �An error occurred trying to render…

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jan 14 2010 11:35AM=-=>

Hello,

Thanks for writing in. We have marked this bug for consideration to be fixed in the next service pack for SQL Server 2008 Reporting Services.

Best regards,
    Chris B.
    SSRS Team

<=-=Feb 26 2010 10:24AM=-=>

I’m getting this not only in the SSRS 2008 but in the preview mode in Visual Studio 2008.

<=-=Apr 12 2013 9:46AM=-=>

Thank you for filing this issue. I has been fixed in SQL 2008 R2 and later releases.

12. SQLXML: for xml path(), elements xsinil: xsi:nil="true" attribute is missing when other attribute is generated on the same elemen

If I run the below query, I get for the row that has a null value in AddressLine2 an xsi:nil="true" attribute, as expected:

Use AdventureWorks;
    go

select
    AddressLine2 as [value]
    from Person.Address
    where AddressLine1 = '1119 Elderwood Dr.'
    for xml path('address'), root('xml'), elements xsinil, type;

/*
    result:
    <xml xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
    <address>
    <value xsi:nil="true" />
    </address>
    <address>
    <value></value>
    </address>
    <address>
    <value>#3</value>
    </address>
    </xml>
    */

However if I add any attribute in the query, the xsi:nil="true" disappears:

Use AdventureWorks;
    go

select
    'string' as [value/@t],
    AddressLine2 as [value]
    from Person.Address
    where AddressLine1 = '1119 Elderwood Dr.'
    for xml path('address'), root('xml'), elements xsinil, type;

/*…

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 6

<=-=Jul 24 2009 4:47PM=-=>

Thanks for reporting this unexpected behaviour. Since we have been shipping this since SQL Server 2005, we cannot easily change the current behaviour, but we will consider an extension to add the xsinil preserving semantics in presence of attributes for a future version of SQL Server.

Best regards
    Michael

<=-=Nov 30 2012 7:24AM=-=>

Any plans to fix this? It’s still present in 2012.

<=-=Mar 17 2014 12:37AM=-=>

Looks like this is fixed in build 11.0.3393 at least.

13. SQL Server generating invalid execution plan when using windowed ranking functions and partitioned tables.

SQL Server generates an invalid execution plan, and thus, invalid results in the following circumstances:
    1. A partitioned table is created, using a partition function around a column, let's call it column A. In our example, column A is a datetime column.
    2. A clustered index is created on this partitioned table, clustered around columns B, C, A, in that order. (Note, it is NOT clustered around A primarily)
    3. This table is filled with hundreds of millions of records.

What I'm finding is that, if I run the query:

SELECT *
    FROM
    (
    select *,
    ROW_NUMBER() OVER (PARTITION BY…

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 3

<=-=Jul 29 2009 2:25PM=-=>

There is a heavy price to be paid for nesting. I am wondering your clustered index on B, C, A with B >= someothervalue if repeated outside the x would lead to a different set of results?

Meaning, WHERE x.Rnk = 1 AND x.B >= someothervalue

<=-=Jul 29 2009 2:40PM=-=>

Can you build a small, self-contained repro? Like a scaled down db with one partitioned table and just a few rows. You may need to use hints to get the original plan. Also, could you document the plan you are seeing? (Cut and paste statistics profile or showplan). Thank you!

— Marc

<=-=Aug 26 2009 10:03AM=-=>

We have received a duplicate request from another user with sufficient information for us to fix! Expect a fix in the Yukon SP3 Cumulative Update after the next one (i.e. expect it in October-November 2009). I am resolving…

14. Database Engine Tuning Advisor error

When I analyse stored prosedure or query within Database Engine Tuning Advisor it raise error message (in the Consuming Workload step):

TITLE: DTAEngine

The minimum storage space required for the selected physical design structures exceeds the default storage space selected by Database Engine Tuning Advisor. Either keep fewer physical design structures, or increase the default storage space to be larger than at least 72057594037928432 MB.Use one of the following methods to increase storage space: (1) If you are using the graphical user interface, enter the required value for Define max. space for recommendations (MB) in the Advanced Options of the…

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 7

<=-=Aug 12 2009 2:17AM=-=>

Hi Yuriy Mikheev,
    Thanks for reporting this issue. Is this working earlier and the issue is coming now? Could you increase the default storage space as suggested in the error and try this operation.

Thanks
    Rajesh Basa

<=-=Oct 5 2010 10:02AM=-=>

Rajesh,

How can one possilby be expected to increase space to the level indicated? 67,108,864 petabytes is not exactly something we have available. I get this error with several stored procs that we are trying to tune for NAV 5.0 and I get slight variation of this same number. Is this error really an accurate description of the issue that DTA Engine is having, or is there another issue at work here and DTA is unable to handle it? The workload files I am using come from production activity and are reasonable small in size.

Thanks,
    Jim

<=-=Dec 1 2011 5:14AM=-=>

I have…

15. GFS_BI, CTP2, build .1092.06, Save takes a long time even if there is absolutely no changes

Whenever, I save my Gemini excel file it takes a long time even if there is absolutely no changes. OS = Win 7

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Aug 18 2009 6:27PM=-=>

Thanks Surush for reporting this.

We will take a look.
    Edward Melomed

<=-=Oct 2 2009 6:32PM=-=>

Thanks again for reporting this issue. We have made a number of performance improvments between CTP2 & CTP3 and believe this particular scenario is much improved. Please let us know if you try our CTP3 release when it comes out and you still believe this is an issue.

Thanks,
    -Ron Pihlgren [MSFT]

16. Data Mining Model Training Destination Orphaned in SSIS Package

A Data Mining Model Training Destination has become orphaned in my SSIS Package. The GUI shows the object with a red cross indicating an error - when double-clicked the message is "Component with name Data Mining Model Training and class ID {253F1050-C529-4413-84D7-4726B9CF8560} could not be created. Contact information:". There is also an warning in the Error List which seems to pertain: "Validation warning. Train Mining Structure: Data Mining Model Training [1]: Message-handling subsystem: The message manager for the default locale cannot be found. The locale will be changed to US English. DFEEST.MILI.SSIS.DW.Load.dtsx" I can create a new Data Mining Model…

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Aug 18 2009 3:19PM=-=>

Thanks a lot Kristen for reporting the problem.

We will take a look.

<=-=Sep 4 2009 10:03PM=-=>

Note: I was able to replicate this again ie training another model in the same mining structure in a separate SSIS package.

<=-=Sep 4 2009 10:04PM=-=>

Correction: I was able to replicate this again ie training another mining structure in a separate SSIS package.

17. MDX: Analysis Services does Calculations based on default (p=18,s=15) precision and scale but displays data only with (p=18,s=13)

Analysis Services does Calculations based on default (p=18,s=15) precision and scale but displays data only with (p=18,s=13) precision and scale. That's misleading. Because of that You can not retrieve correct resultset from TopPercent and BottemPercent Functions.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Proper support for banded rows (green bars)

I am trying to add Excel2007-like banded rows to my table:

For detail rows I set the background to the following expression:
    =iif(RowNumber(Nothing) mod 2, "Azure", "White")

I have multiple nesting groups. For group headers I set the background like this example:
    =iif(RunningValue(Fields!GroupByField.Value, CountDistinct, "Group1") mod 2, "White", "Azure")

Individually both expressions are working fine. i.e., If I look at the detail rows by themselves alternate rows have Azure color. If I look at the group headers by themselves alternate headers have Azure color.

The problem is when you expand all groups and then look at the banding. I want…

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Reporting Services - Report Viewer - Object Required JavaScript Error on Empty Table with Fixed Header

When viewing a report with no rows returned in a browser, get a JavaScript error stating "Object Required".

This only happens when the report table has a fixed header, has no rows returned, and there is not a footer on the report table.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jan 5 2010 3:20PM=-=>

Hello,

Thanks for writing in about this. Based on your description, this is a bug that we are aware of and that is fixed in the next release of the ReportViewer coming in VS 2010.

Best regards,
    Chris B.
    SSRS Team

<=-=Jan 5 2010 3:23PM=-=>

Another suggestion in the interim would be to use a NoRows message for your table. This will cause a text message to be displayed instead of the problematic fixed headers if there is no data in your table.

Thanks again,
    Chris B.
    SSRS Team

20. Long wait on Index Properties Fragmentation screen

It takes on average 2-5 minutes for this screen to show Index Fragmentation results.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Apr 5 2010 1:58PM=-=>

Confirming the behavior: the underlying query calls dm_db_index_physical_stats() but for all indexes in the database, passing NULLs for the ObjectId, IndexId, and Partition parameters. So it calculates the fragmentation for everything in the database and then uses the WHERE clause to remove all the unneeded rows. Much better would be to supply the appropriate IDs so that fragmentation is calculated only for the relevant object, index, and partition. The pane should likely come up with a table of partitions for the index so the user can check off the ones they want, then do the calculation for only the items requested. It should at least have a Cancel option as the only recourse is to kill the Index dialog which also kills all other SSMS windows that are open.

<=-=Apr 17 2011 4:26AM=-=>

Hi:

Apologies for closing the loop on this bug late.

We…

• Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base