SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server 2017 powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server 2017 brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Start Powershell failes when connecting to non default port

When connecting in SSMS to a server configured to run under a different port than 1433 and TCP/IP network library only the Start Powershell command failes to connect to the server. The server is registered as SERVERNAME,PORT. The SqlBrowser service is not running.

It seems that the comma needs to be escaped. The next command isn't working within the SQLPS utility as well:
    set-location SQLSERVER:\SQL\SERVERNAME,PORT\DEFAULT

When you change this to:
    set-location SQLSERVER:\SQL\SERVERNAME`,PORT\DEFAULT
    it works.

I'm know the character needs to be escaped in powershell or enoded. The problem is that the connection is failes when is start powershell within SSMS…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 2

<=-=Jul 18 2008 7:58AM=-=>

Hi Robert,
    Thanks for reporting the issue on PowerShell. This is by design. There are certain characters within PowerShell that have special meaning. This is mostly documented here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc281841(SQL.100).aspx

You need to escape the special characters and there are a few options for doing so:
    1) Escape with a tick `
    2) Wrap the text in double quotes “blah,blah”
    3) Use the hex equivalent %2C
    4) Use the Encode-SqlName cmdlet

Best of luck,
    Dan Jones
    Group Program Manager
    SQL Server Manageability

<=-=Jul 18 2008 12:35PM=-=>

Hi Dan,

Well, I’m aware of that, as I described connecting in SQLPS works when you escape the character. It doesn’t work when you select Start Powershell from the context menu within SSMS. And I can’t escape the characters there, or can I?

<=-=Jan 29 2009 8:48PM=-=>

Hi, Robert! This is a bug and we will fix this…

2. SQL Query Editor Extension Mapping

When I map a the .prc extension to the SQL Query Editor, it is not recognized with a File | Open. However, it is recognized when I drag the .prc file into the editor.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 1

<=-=Jul 17 2008 8:15AM=-=>

Hi Tom,
    Thanks for reporting the bug. I was able to repro this but only in a very specific way. After I setup the prc extension I opened the file and it did not recognize it as a SQL file. I then restarted SSMS. When I open the file from the recent files list it doesn’t recognize it as a SQL file. However, if I open it using File-Open it does recognize it. It appears that SSMS/VS is caching some information about the file when it’s opened from Recent files. This isn’t something we’ll be able to address in SQL Server 2008. We’ll keep this on the books and review it again when we start the next release.

Thanks,
    Dan Jones
    Group Program Manager
    SQL Server Manageability

<=-=Nov 13 2008 3:07AM=-=>

Very helpful, was able to apply this to UDF extensions too

3. Disk usage summary does not display space used for data files

Disk Usage Summary built-in report in SSMS (Data Collection) displays "MB MB" instead of the space used for specific data file.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 4

<=-=Jul 29 2008 8:12AM=-=>

Hi brejk,
    Thank you for your feedback regarding this report. We are aware of the problem and we’ll use this as the tracking issue so that others can vote on the issue. You can use the Standard Disk Usage report for the selected database to view the correct report as a workaround.
    Thank you,
    Bill Ramos

<=-=Jun 10 2011 6:20AM=-=>

Hi brejk,

This has been fixed. Please confirm this in the next available public release of SQL Server “Denali”.

Nikhil
    SQL Server Team

4. after upgrade to SQL Server 2008 spike on processing time in special regard to the indexes portion

Since the upgrade of our SSAS environment on SQL Server 2008 we have noticed a consistent increase on cube process time.
    The picture below shows the time spent during process executing using the two version of SQL Server meanly 2005 and 2008.

For your convenience I have attached the excel document that the pictures was derived from; as well as the xmla scripts that is used to process the indexes.

We would like to know what could have caused such a spike on processing time in special regard to the indexes portion.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jul 25 2008 11:07AM=-=>

Joseph.

Thanks a lot for reporting the problem.
    It is very hard to diagnose it without having exact repro in-house.
    We suggest you work with Product support to setup a scenario for us to be able to debug and figure out what is happening.

Thank you.
    The Analysis Services Team.

5. Characters and linebrakes are disappering in a Job with powershell that holds an \

Characters and linebrakes are disappering in a Job with powershell that holds an \

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jul 24 2008 9:11AM=-=>

Eric Verschoor,

Thanks for the report – we will investigate this issue.

-Richard Waymire

<=-=Dec 1 2011 11:47AM=-=>

We took a look at this bug along with several others recently.
    Unfortunately, triaging it against other critical bugs, I do not think we would get to investigating this in the near future.
    However, we have taken note of this internally, and when we revisit this functionality in the future, we will try and get this resolved.

Thank you
    Alex Grach[MSFT]

6. Transaction log file size will not grow exactly 4GB when filegrowth=4GB.

When I set filegrowth to 4GB , 4096MB or 8GB for transaction log file of any database, after the log fills up, the autogrowth will kick in and then I monitor file growth of the log file. It will not grow exactly 4GB or 8GB. It grows in much smaller chunks. Something like, 248KB.
    If I set log filegrowth to 3GB, 5GB, 4095MB, 4097MB or anything that's not exactly 4GB, it will grow exactly the set size for filegrowth.
    This also happens on SQL2005 Developer Edition and Standard Edition on x86.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 5

<=-=Aug 12 2008 1:22PM=-=>

Thank you for your report. This does seem like an interesting anomaly. We will see if we can reproduce this in the current product and addess it in ongoing development.

<=-=Aug 4 2009 9:44AM=-=>

I’m seeing behavior similar to this now with VLF and log files on the latest CUs of SQL 2005 and 2008.
    I was attempting to create a 40GB log file in 5 steps of 8GB each and I don’t arrive at 16 × 5 VLFs of the same size. I’m going to do some more testing before I log a bug.

7. Many to many dimension query returns incorrect value

I've just been shown a repro of what looks like a bug where a query with a many-to-many dimension and the expression MyM2MDim.MyHier.Children in the Where clause returns an incorrect value. It looks like a case where an incorrect assumption has been made for query optimisation purposes. I can repro on AS2005 SP2 and AS2008 RC0.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jul 24 2008 8:50PM=-=>

Thanks a lot Chris for reporting the problem.

Unfortunately it is too late to look at this in 2008 release of Analysis Services.
    We will take a look at this in the next release.

Edward Melomed

<=-=Aug 1 2008 12:56AM=-=>

I think that a good solution would be a different one than simply changing the behavior of the query optimizer. I would add a property to measures (or measure groups) to specify if the evaluation of that specific measure/measure group has to always consider the related m2m dimension and its intermediate measoure group or if this passage can be optimized. This would solve the issue I described in my m2m paper (http://www.sqlbi.eu/manytomany.aspx) related to the distinct count alternative measure.

8. Reporting Visual Studio: ShowGrid is not working

In Visual Studio
    Tools -> Option -> Windows Forms Designer -> General the Settings are
    LayoutMode=SnapToGrid
    ShowGrid=True
    SnapToGrid=True

But there is no visible Grid.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 79

<=-=Jul 22 2008 1:26PM=-=>

Thank you for providing this feedback. With SQL Server 2008 we replaced grid lines with object snapping and snap lines. We will consider this as feedback that you would like grid lines back. We will consider adding them back in a future release. If this feature is brought back, however, it would not be enabled by this VS option, the Designer would have it’s own command to display or hide grid lines. The VS option you mention is for designing WinForms apps, not directly related to the Report Designer.

<=-=Jul 23 2008 2:04AM=-=>

Many thanks for your reply!

Greetings
    Webfred

<=-=Oct 23 2008 12:55PM=-=>

I would also like the SnapToGrid, DrawGrid, and GridSpacing options back. Report development is so much more cumbersome with the object snapping and snap lines. I could actually see how things lined up when the grid was there. Now I’m…

9. Cannot install 08-040 for SQL 2000 on Vista

According to
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=8316BC5E-8C2D-4710-8ACC-B815CCC81CD4&displaylang=en
    this hotfix is supported on Vista. However if try to run the install on
    Vista, it fails with "There is not enough storage for this
    command".

I have x64, but I have reports that it fails on x86 as well.

Since SQL 2000 is not supported on Vista, the error may be on the download page.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Edit Menu -> Advanced -> Tabbify / Untabbify Selected Lines option is not working

I select 10 lines of code and then selected "Tabbify Selected Lines" menu from "Edit->Advanced", but its not working, similary "Untabbify Selected Lines" as well.

FYI, The uppercase and lowercase converts everything into uppercase, if we have some option to convert only keywords to uppercase then it would make the code look good and also please assign some shortcuts for "Tabbify Selected Lines" and "Untabbify as well, because those are options which we regularly use, so using the menu is time consuming so if we have shortcut it would save lot of time and easy to use as well

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 0

<=-=Aug 27 2008 9:30AM=-=>

arunraj_c,

Thank you for reporting this issue. We will mark it as a product issue and request dev team to investigate it.

Regards,
    Eric

<=-=Jun 20 2011 12:31AM=-=>

Hi Arun,

This is regarding the connect issue 357143. Kindly note that the function “tabify” converts all tab length white spaces to a tab. So there is no visual indication and tabify does not mean to move selected text by a tab. Say there are 4 white spaces in a tab, then tabify would look for 4 consequent white spaces in the selected text and replace them by a single tab character. Similarly untabify replaces a tab character with equivalent number of white space characters.

I hope this explains the behavior. We are closing the issue as by-design.

thank you

Seshagiri
    PM, SSMS

11. Data Collection: Disk Usage Summary

Incorrect Figure in Disk Space Used

Workbench is a SQL Server 08 RC0

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 3

<=-=Jul 11 2008 7:02PM=-=>

Hi Nitya,
    thank you for your bug submission regarding the problem with the disk usage report. we are aware of the problem already and will fix this in a future release.
    Thank you,
    Bill Ramos

<=-=Jun 18 2009 8:28AM=-=>

Just a note – I needed to do some hosecleaning to duplicate this issue to the active connect item. This is now linked to http://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=356518.
    Thank you,
    Bill Ramos

12. Multiple Filters using hinting a spatial index should work

The following query produces this error message when I do not believe its appropriate to:

Msg 8635, Level 16, State 10, Line 2
    The query processor could not produce a query plan for a query with a spatial index hint. Reason: Could not find required comparison predicate. Try removing the index hints or removing SET FORCEPLAN.

The BOL topic: "Geometry Methods Supported by Spatial Indexes" doesn't require just one filter.

The queries in question:

drop table dbo.shapeParts
    go
    create table dbo.shapeParts(

shapePartID tinyint not null identity(1,1) primary key,

shapeID tinyint not null,
    shapeQuad tinyint null,
    shape geometry not null);

go …

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jul 24 2008 1:04PM=-=>

Thank you for the bug submission. Spatial indexes match only WHERE/ON clauses made of single atomic predicates or ANDs thereof — not ORs. We also do not infer that STIntersects here is redundant.

<=-=Jul 28 2008 10:25AM=-=>

We we have not done a good job (yet!) documenting how exactly Katmai spatial indexing works; capabilities, limitations, recommendations. This is a sore spot and it’s overdue. Meanwhile, “index union” support will go on the list of possible enhancements for next release.

<=-=May 25 2011 9:52AM=-=>

This is resolved as duplicate of 670505 connect item.
    https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/670505/cross-feature-support-for-spatial-types-should-improve

13. SQLServer Exception with SPs that start with Sys, contain TVP, and accessed via ADO.NET

A fatal exception occurs, and SQL Server terminates the session, if you call a stored procedure from C#, and that stored procedure (1) contains a TVP and (2) begins with the letters "sys".

For example, the following causes the problem:
    ALTER PROC [dbo].[SystemConfiguration_StoreContact]

@ItemList contactDetail READONLY

but these do not:
    ALTER PROC [dbo].[ystemConfiguration_StoreContact]

@ItemList contactDetail READONLY

ALTER PROC [dbo].[SystemConfiguration_StoreContact]

@ItemList int

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jul 28 2008 9:25AM=-=>

Hi Brian,

Thankyou for this bug report. After investigation, the situation that triggers this bug is:

A CLR routine calls a stored proc that 1) contains a TVP and 2) has a name beginning “sys”.
    (yes, I know – we are probably thinking the same thoughts :-)

Anyhow, we have a fix for this bug, pending review and checkin.

Meantime, a workaround is to rename your stored proc to not begin “sys”.

Thanks,

Jim

<=-=Jun 22 2010 1:57PM=-=>

Ran into this bug today on a sql server 2008 instance and it took some time to diagnose. Is the fix available? When was it released? Where can I get it?

<=-=Jan 4 2011 2:55PM=-=>

Hi,
    We have fixed this issue for an upcoming cumulative update for SQL Server 2008 R2. Thanks again for reporting it.

Umachandar, SQL Programmability Team

14. Intellisense does not display properly without Use statement

When typing select statements using Intellisense without prefixing the query in the query window with a Use statement, the select statement does not show the appropriately available table names.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Aug 11 2008 7:15AM=-=>

Hi,

Thank you for reporting this problem. Intellisense tries to determine the context mentioned in the query to display the list and not from the connection instance. However if you launch the query editor on the current database making it the default context, this problem does not occur. I can understand that this can sometimes be a pain when using the feature. We will try to address the issue in a future release of SQL Server.

Thanks,
    Karthik

<=-=Mar 10 2011 6:25AM=-=>

My 2 cents: The context chosen by Intellisense is perfectly OK to me – seems logical (on 2008 R2 CU3). However, the choice for a default context for new query windows is less perfect than it was in 2005. Sorry, haven’t yet understood the specifics, but I know I’m suprised to find ‘master’ up there twice a day.

<=-=Jun 28 2011 6:19PM=-=>

15. SSRS2008 RC0 row headers visible and repeated bug

Checking the options:
    Repeat header rows on each page
    Header should remain visible while scrolling
    in the Tablix properties page has no effect.
    The headers do not repeat, and they don't remain visible while scrolling.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jul 29 2008 10:52AM=-=>

Thank you for using SQL Server Reporting Services
    We are investigating this issue for the next release. Were the reports your working with upgraded from SSRS 2005?
    Thank you for your time.

<=-=Jul 29 2008 11:12AM=-=>

No, they weren’t upgraded. I found my answer in
    https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=356434&wa=wsignin1.0
    Thanks.
    Because the header row for the Table template is a Fixed Row and not a group header, it is not affected by the options I selected. I tried checking those options for a matrix, and it worked fine. It would be better if the options worked with a table template as well.

<=-=Jul 31 2008 11:49AM=-=>

Thank you for the closing notes.

16. Crash on Startup

This is from the Application event log:
    Faulting application ssmsee.exe, version 2005.90.3042.0, stamp 45cd6a6a, faulting module mscorwks.dll, version 2.0.50727.3082, stamp 492b82c1, debug? 0, fault address 0x0000c98e.

Just yesterday I installed a few MS updates.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Dec 13 2012 11:46AM=-=>

Let us know if you see this issue in SQL 2012 SP1.

Thanks
    Sethu Srinivasan [MSFT]
    SQL Server

<=-=Dec 14 2012 3:49PM=-=>

Please reactivate this issue if you have more information about the crash

Thanks
    Sethu Srinivasan

17. Fuzzy lookup triggers SQLDUMPER, even with very small dataset with Run64BitRuntime set to false

Fuzzy lookup running small, published package, triggers SQLDUMPER, even with very small dataset, with Run64BitRuntime set to false. Runs fine with it set to true.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 28

<=-=Sep 24 2009 1:22PM=-=>

Thank you for your submission. We will be reviewing your information and providing you feedback on our findings and progress. Thanks for your interest and support of SSIS.

<=-=Oct 1 2009 2:20PM=-=>

I get the same issue running on Vista Business Edition (x64).

<=-=Nov 22 2009 5:39PM=-=>

I ran into the same problem. Simple Fuzzy Lookup which hangs: doesn’t pass any records downstream and remains yelllow. No error messages, it just hangs. And the log says that the package was cancelled (even though the Data Flow on the Control Flow tab, and the transforms on the Data Flow up until and including the Fuzzy Lookup are all still yellow. Doesn’t seem to be anything unusual about the Fuzzy Lookup transform.

I have gotten other Fuzzy Lookups to work on the same server without this bug.

<=-=Dec 9 2009 8:30AM=-=>

same issue on Microsoft …

18. ReportViewerControl Crash When Printing To XPS DocumentWriter

When printing to the XPS document writer printer from a ReportViewerControl on a WinFrom app, the application will crash.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Sep 28 2009 11:29AM=-=>

Thank you for your feedback. The issue that you have reported is already tracked by another work item in our database. We are resolving this issue as “Duplicate”.

Thank you.

Stella Chan
    SQL Server Reporting Services

<=-=Nov 30 2009 4:22PM=-=>

Is it possible for you to tell me what item it is a duplicate of and whether there is likely to be a fix? I have no way of tracking the status of this bug now.

19. Some times the password is not get saved in SQL Server 2005

I am using SQL Server 2005, Always i will check the option "Remember password" to save my password while connecting to the Database Engine. But the problem is, it is again asking for the password when i next login to the same server.

This is happening in all the systems of my office. Please fix this bug as soon as possible

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Sep 14 2009 5:48AM=-=>

I am using SQL Server 2005, Always i will check the option “Remember password” to save my password while connecting to the Database Engine. But the problem is, it is again asking for the password when i next login to the same server.

This is happening in all the systems of my office. Please fix this bug as soon as possible

<=-=Sep 14 2009 11:38AM=-=>

This has been reported several times already. See the following feedback items:

<=-=Aug 27 2010 10:24AM=-=>

Still a problem. No matter how often it gets reported, it seems microsoft doesn’t care.

<=-=May 22 2011 3:02AM=-=>

Hi:

We were tracking this issue through another bug. Hence we are closing this as a duplicate. I quote the workaround to avoid this problem here:

Refer to:
    http://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/124842/remember-password-option-is-not-remembered-in-registered-server-properties

The only change that we suggest is, please do…

20. Updates such as changes in Role membership are slow or timeout in large databases Initial Connection is Slow

Updates such as role membership changes or calculated member changes are extremely slow or timeout with large databases with many partitions, and substantial aggregations.
    As a hack workaround we have been able to update the the MDXScript file and bounce the SSAS service to make changes in a fraction of the time it takes to update via BIDS or Mgt. Studio. In addition, any intial connection to a sever with one or more large databases is very slow as metadata is loaded. It appears that a single aggregation design which is defined once in a measure group and reused for…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base