SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server 2017 powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server 2017 brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. datetimeoffset breaks sys.extended_properties

On SQL Server 2008, adding an extended property w/ type DATETIMEOFFSET via spaddextendedproperty breaks sys.extendedproperties.

Extended properties are still visible through SSMS -> Table -> Properties -> Extended Properties.

Reproduced on the following systems:

Microsoft SQL Server 2008 (SP1) - 10.0.2531.0 (Intel X86) Mar 29 2009 10:27:29 Copyright (c) 1988-2008 Microsoft Corporation Enterprise Edition on Windows NT 5.1 <X86> (Build 2600: Service Pack 3)

Microsoft SQL Server 2008 (RTM) - 10.0.1600.22 (Intel X86) Jul 9 2008 14:43:34 Copyright (c) 1988-2008 Microsoft Corporation Enterprise Edition on Windows NT 5.2 <X86> (Build 3790: Service Pack 2)

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 1

<=-=Dec 30 2009 2:53PM=-=>

Hi Peter,

Good catch. This bug is now assigned over to the Dev for further investigation and fix.

Thanks,

Jim Hogg

<=-=Mar 23 2010 2:50AM=-=>

Hi Peter,

We investigated this particluar issue and the fix for this will be part of our future releases. There is a similar bug that we are tracking for this issue – http://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/379631/ssms-partition-functions-with-datetimeoffset-cause-error-crash . Given this, I am going to resolve your issue as duplicate of the other issue.

Thanks for catching this issue and reporting to us.

Thanks,
    - Vikrant Arora

2. Calc script using IIF and CASE statements could be slower since AS08 vs AS05 due to the lite mode

It have been discussed with the SSAS dev team and this entry is to allow one the customer to followup the resolution of the issue in a future release.

SSAS 2008 introduced a lite evaluation mode, which is eager mode for fast calculations, a very loose term since the actual algorithm to determine whether a calculation is good for lite mode.

For IIF function, SSAS first try lite mode on each branch when there is no hint present. If lite mode succeed, great, if not, it fall back to strict mode. This algorithm falls apart when there is deeply nested…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Remove excess steps to execute script file

When you open a new script window in the Management Studio, do not force me to re-login to the server, then change the database I am using to the master form the database I am working it. This now causes me to loose precious time I do not have, plus now I have all sorts of tables and scripts in the master database I do not need.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Feb 17 2006 12:52PM=-=>

Hi Docluv,
    Thank you for your feedback. The trick to achieving a new query window with the context and credentials is to to right click on the database in Object Explorer and selecting the New query option; You could also use the New Query btn. from the toolbar. The Dabase Engine Query btn ont he toolbar is to get a new query with new credentials.
    Note that if you do not have the appropriate user database selected in OE, the new window would be opened in master db
    Thanks,
    Ramesh Singh

4. Compact Database Error: 0

I am currently working in VB.NET with SQL Mobile 2005. I am trying to compact a database, .sdf, using the SqlCeEngine Object compact(connectionstring). When I use this code to compact a small database, only about 300KB, it returns okay however when I try to compact a larger database, about 9MB, it returns with a SQL Error Code: 0, "The operation completed successfully" however with no compacted database. The code works however it only seems to work for smaller databases.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jan 19 2006 5:20AM=-=>

The password for the database is password1.

<=-=Jan 19 2006 8:12AM=-=>

Hi John,

We have downloaded the Database. And we are able to compact the database easily. We have attached the compacted DB and the program we ran to compact it.
    To conclude, we are unable to repro.

Thanks,
    Laxmi NRO, MSFT, SQL Mobile Team

<=-=Jan 20 2006 2:36AM=-=>

Hi John,

We have downloaded the Database. And we are able to compact the database easily. We have attached the compacted DB..
    To conclude, we are unable to repro on Windows Server 2003. The difference here is that OS, and I have written a C# program which is pasted below.

using System;
    using System.Collections.Generic;
    using System.Text;
    using System.IO;
    using System.Data.SqlServerCe;

namespace SqlMobileCompactSample
    {
    class Program
    {
    static void Main(string[] args)
    {
    String SrcDatabaseFile = “D:\\testdir\\DB\\ReproData.sdf”;
    String DstDatabaseFile = “D:\\testdir\\DB\\ReproDataCompacted.sdf”;

try { Console.WriteLine("Compacting "…
  5. UNC file path backups

UNC paths work for backups but not in removing old backup files.

Although you can use a UNC path to backup to a remote server under a service account with rights to access the remote drive. You cannot use the maintenance cleanup task to remove dated backup files using UNC paths.

When creating the path for the folder selection it gives the following error yet it work fine for the backup task.

\webreports\backup\current\
    Cannot access the specified path or file on the server. Verify that you have the necessary security privileges and that the path or file exists.

If you…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Mar 21 2006 3:16PM=-=>

Hi Tim,
    Thanks for reporting this and we could mnot repro it in our lab

We created a maintenance plan with two tasks
    1) Backup adventureworks to \\abc\def\adv.bak
    2) Deletes \\abc\def\adv.bak
    3) We specified that task2 should execute only on success of task1

The file \\abc\def\adv.bak got deleted.

Step 3 is very important because becuase that defines the work flow and executes the task in the right order.

If you still could repro it. Please add detailed repro steps to the bug and reactivate the bug.

Thanks,
    Gops Dwarak

Did customer specify the order of execution?

6. SSIS, exporting to flat file column names will not export

When building a data flow task, source is a view and export is a flat, comma delimited file, the column names will NOT come over as a header row in the flat file.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. SP1 CTP Cube Designer freezes when trying to access the Calculations, Perspectives and Tranlation Design Tabs

Clicking on these tabs results in the BIDS indicating it's loading the definitions you want to see for these tabs, but never returns.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Mar 24 2006 11:40AM=-=>

Dave, in our initial attempts we were unable to repro this in house. We are going to continue investigating. To help us, could you please check the versions of these binaries: programFiles\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\PrivateAssemblies\ msmdgsrv.dll and programFiles\System\Ole DB\msmdlocal.dll.?

<=-=Mar 24 2006 12:44PM=-=>

We have been unable to reproduce this in house. Without such repro, I’m afraid we cannot investigate the issue any further. More information might help us, such as the version of the binaries mentioned before, how much RAM you have, a history of SQL installations on this machine, whether you made changes to the AdventureWorks DW sample, etc. Thank you for your help!

8. Using "+" instead of aggregate

Results are inaccurate when using "+" to define calculated members inside cubes.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Apr 19 2006 11:32AM=-=>

Dear customer: I couldn’t repro your problem by repeating the repro steps on a simple cube. Could you please provide the AS project or the AS database? You can send it to hfeng@microsoft.com. Thanks. Hanying Feng

<=-=May 1 2006 5:40PM=-=>

Dear Customer, I can not reproduce your problem by following the repro steps. Please provide more info. Thanks

9. Object reference not set to an instance of an object. (SQLEditors)

when I create a Table or column the following error appears:

Object reference not set to an instance of an object. (SQLEditors)

Program Location:

at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.Editors.TableDesignerNode.CreateDesigner(IDTDocToolFactoryProvider factoryProvider, IVsDataConnection dataConnection)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.Editors.VsDataDesignerNode.CreateDesigner()
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.Editors.VsDataDesignerNode.Open()
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.Editors.VirtualProject.Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.Editors.ISqlVirtualProject.CreateDesigner(Urn origUrn, DocumentType editorType, DocumentOptions aeOptions, IManagedConnection con)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.Editors.ISqlVirtualProject.CreateDesigner(Urn origUrn, DocumentType editorType, DocumentOptions aeOptions, IManagedConnection con)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.Editors.VsDocumentMenuItem.CreateDesignerWindow(IManagedConnection mc, DocumentOptions options).

I have installed the SqlServer and the SqlServer Express.
    I can not enter the option Query- Design Query in editor... because Cannot show Query Designer.

Thanks

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Mar 28 2006 8:04AM=-=>

Hi Roberto,
    Thank you for your bug report regarding the object reference not set.

<=-=Apr 5 2006 4:44PM=-=>

We aren’t able to reproduce this defect. Do you get this error every time you try to create a table, occasionally, or was this a one-time occurance? Thanks.

<=-=Apr 6 2006 4:20PM=-=>

We aren’t able to reproduce this defect. Based on the call stack, it looks like the installation might have been corrupt. Repairing the installation from the Add and Remove Programs tool might fix this problem.

10. Service ... could not be installed.

See bellow for Error Message.
    Under MMC->Services there is SQLEXPRESS even though I just uninstalled it. I was to reinstall but this is a stoping point for me.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=May 2 2005 8:24AM=-=>

From the log files you attached it looks like you either have a bad download or you don’t have sufficient disk space. The download package will be uncompressed on your local machine. You need ~70MB for the download package and ~150MB, in addition to the 70MB, for the uncompressed files. From there you’ll need ~150MB for the SQL Server installation. Please make sure you have enough disk space, ~400MB. If you have enough free space please try downloading the package again.

11. Unknown Software exception

When first booting my machine I get a "Unknown Software exception 0xc06d007e at location 0x7c81eb33.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Apr 22 2005 8:29AM=-=>

Please reactivate and attach the log files from:
    Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\log\files\*.log. You can zip the files before attaching them.

<=-=Apr 26 2005 8:49AM=-=>

There really isn’t enough information to troubleshoot this issue. I suggest you make sure your machine is totally clean of SQL Server, Visual Studio and .NetFX Betas and CTPs. Once you’re sure it’s clean try reinstalling.

<=-=Apr 27 2005 8:34AM=-=>

You reactivated the bug – do you have new information that can help with investigating the issue?

12. Database Mirroring - Pressing OK in database properties dialog box breaks mirroring

In sqlwb (ssms), using database properties dialog box (right click on the database) configure database mirroring through the UI. After the mirroring is showing as synchronized exit this by pressing the OK button.
    ssms is gets stuck.

My versions:
    Copied from ssms help about
    Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio (expires in 349 days) 9.00.1187.00
    Microsoft Analysis Services Client Tools 2000.090.1187.00
    Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) 2000.085.1117.00 (xpspsp2rtm.040803-2158)
    Microsoft MSXML 2.6 3.0 5.0 6.0
    Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0.2900.2180
    Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0.50215.312
    Operating System 5.1.2600

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jul 25 2005 4:39PM=-=>

We have made a lot of changes from build CTP 15. We can not repro it in our newer build. And also there is a QFE in DB mirroring and Database properties dialog. If you find this problem again on newer version, please let us know.

Thanks

13. Unknown properties generated by Package Configuration Wizard

The Package Configuration Wizard in Integration Services does not properly create the EnumeratorProperties for the Foreach Loop Container

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Copy Paste Stop working in SQL 2005

After using Server Management studios editing a script, sometimes copy and paste stop working. I can't use keystrokes or a right click on the mouse. If I go to other applications it works fine. If I close the script and not Server Mgmt and reopen it again, it still does not work. I have to close all scripts and shutdown the app and restart it.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 5

<=-=May 1 2006 4:28PM=-=>

Hi Eugene,

Thanks for taking the time to log this issue. So far we have not been able to repro this issue in our lab environment.
    I suspect that it may be something specific to your configuration or hardware. (Can you let us know what your config is?)
    Can you also check your free swap space and other resources on your system and determine if they are constrained?
    Also check the Windows event log and see if there are errors in there that may give us a clue as to what is failing.

Thanks,

Terrence

<=-=May 23 2006 1:40PM=-=>

Hi Eugene,

I am closing this issue as a “no repro” on our end.

Please let us know if this happens to you again.

Thanks,

Terrence Nevins
    SQL Server Program Manager

<=-=Aug 25 2010 12:46PM=-=>

I’m seeing the same behavior. Windows 7 64-bit & SQL

15. SSAS Error "Internal error: An unexpected exception occured." when creating aggregations

This error occur on Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 when working with Analysis Services cubes and creating aggregations.

With this error no aggregation at all is created, making the cube VERY slow.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. SP1 Failure

Attempting to install SP1 reports a failure on Database Services, Analysis Services and Reporting Sevices - also fails on Windows 2003 with SP2 installed.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Apr 24 2006 9:24AM=-=>

Thank you for your feedback. For us to investigate this problem, could you supply us with the Service Pack 1 log files located at
    Windir\Hotfix?

Thank You,
    Peter Saddow

<=-=Apr 26 2006 9:24AM=-=>

Thank you for your feedback. For us to investigate this problem, could you supply us with the Service Pack 1 log files located at
    Windir\Hotfix and reactive this issue.

Thank You,
    Peter Saddow

17. underline should be treated as a part-of-identifier character

underline should be treated as a part-of-identifier character, so that double click on a sql identifier within sql pane within query editor in sql mgmt studio select complete inentifier (this also apply to ctrl-left and ctrl-right which are supposed to jump to start and end of words, identifiers included

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 2

<=-=Aug 26 2005 4:52PM=-=>

Hi Pgklada,
    Thank you for your suggestion regarding the underline character being treated as part of the indentifier. We will consider this for a future release.
    Thank you,
    Bill Ramos

<=-=Aug 29 2005 11:24AM=-=>

Hi pgklada,
    After further investigation, it looks like we have fixed this problem already. it will be available in our next customer technology preview release.
    Thank you,
    Bill Ramos

18. Generated script of a view from SQL Server 2005 Management Studio Express CTP with the 'Script for Server Version' will not run in

Script of a view generated with 'Script for Server Version' to 'SQL Server 2000' option using 'Generate Scripts...' from SQL Server 2005 Management Studio Express CTP will not run in SQL Server 2000. The script is generated with:

IF NOT EXISTS (SELECT * FROM sys.views WHERE objectid = OBJECTID(N'[dbo].[v_GroupMembers]'))

and results with "Invalid object name 'sys.views'." when executed in SQL 2000 Query Analyzer

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 0

<=-=Mar 24 2006 9:32AM=-=>

Thank you for your bug report. We will investigate this for a future service pack.

<=-=Mar 28 2006 8:44AM=-=>

Quick update. We are placing this bug report under consideration for SP2.

<=-=Apr 11 2006 12:04PM=-=>

Thank you for reporting this. This issue is fixed in the SP1 release of SQL Server Managment Studio Express.

19. Location of precedence contraints not saved with SSIS packages, and no auto arrange

When designing SSIS package control flows, one can move the precedence contrains
    around to create an easy to view layout, where the precedence constraints do NOT
    overlap tasks (which looks confusing.)

This arrangement of precedence constraints is however not saved with the package -
    after saving & reopening the package all precedence constraints goes back to a default
    position, usually overlapping tasks.

Since the default layout is so bad (the overlaps), and there is no "auto arrange" that
    does a better job, this is to me a bug.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 5

<=-=Sep 23 2005 4:28PM=-=>

Good comment. We’ll look at this in next version

<=-=Dec 7 2005 2:20PM=-=>

We could not repro this problem with RTM release of SQL Server 2005. If you can repro this, could you please provide more details and possibly attach the package that causes this behavior?

<=-=Feb 15 2006 1:40PM=-=>

Not Able to Repro on RTM or SP1
    The layout always remeber the position of the precedence constraints

<=-=Nov 14 2008 3:32PM=-=>

I believe this has to do with 1 a diagram that does not fit on the page (therefore has up/down and left/right scrollbars), 3 little margin space around the edges of the diagrams, and 3 tasks that are placed fairly close together. If tasks have sufficient space between them, then it does not act up this way.

<=-=Mar 29 2010 2:53PM=-=>

Here are my steps:
    � Created 25 Data Flow Tasks
    �…

20. Error then try to use output on table with computed column and instead off trigger

Then try to use output clause in DML operator on table with computed column and enabled instead off trigger on same DML, the server rise error: Internal Query Processor Error: The query processor could not produce a query plan. For more information, contact Customer Support Services.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base