SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Can not edit data source in Report Model project

I recently purchased and installed SQL 2008 (Standard) SP1 on a Win2008 server.
    I installed BIDS on my XP-SP2 workstation and have problems editing data sources. BIDS crashes with the error below.

I can edit the Data Source created in step 2, as long as there is no Report Model in the project (i.e. skip step 4). As soon as a Report Model is added, I can't edit the Data Source.

I used FilMon to watch what processes were accessing the DataSource file (ServiceCenter.ds). The only process that accesses the file is DevEnv.exe.
    When I don't have a Report Model…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 3

<=-=Nov 23 2009 7:49AM=-=>

Thanks csharp_guru for the workaround! That helped.

<=-=Nov 23 2009 3:13PM=-=>

We have addressed this issue in the upcoming SQL Server 2008 R2 release, thank you for taking the time to file the bug.

<=-=Nov 24 2009 6:42AM=-=>

Fantastic!

<=-=Mar 25 2010 1:47PM=-=>

The workaround doesn’t work for me. I’m using TFS, so I tried unbinding. Same problem. I also tried leaving the DSV and SMDL files open. Any other suggestions?

<=-=Mar 25 2010 1:51PM=-=>

Found it. I had to open every DSV and SMDL in my project, even if they don’t use that DS.

2. FISERV TAP - Shared Dataset Refresh Plan Doesn't Require Parameter Values

According to BOL:

"If the shared dataset has parameters, you must specify static default values for each parameter that is not marked read-only. Read-only parameters will always use the default value. To cache a shared dataset for multiple combinations of parameters, you must create a separate cache refresh plan for each combination of values. Parameters cannot contain references to other datasets."

Yet, Report Manager doesn't require parameter values. When no parameter values are provided, the dataset query executes with empty parameter values.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 1

<=-=Nov 17 2009 7:59AM=-=>

Thanks Teo. Can you include the definition of the Shared Data Set you’re using in the bug report? I’m specifically interested to know if null is a valid value for your parameters.

Thanks,
    -Lukasz

<=-=Nov 17 2009 10:01AM=-=>

Hi Lukasz

You were right! All shared dataset parameters were configured to accept NULL. Once I re-configured them, I got the expected error message:

“This data set requires a default or user-defined value for the data set parameter ‘@ReportYear’. To execute this data set, you must provide a parameter value. (rsDataSetParameterValueNotSet) "

So, I’ld lke to change this bug report to a suggestion to NOT default the shared dataset parameters to NULL when you convert a dataset to a shared dataset to avoid confusion that specifying parameters is optional.

<=-=Oct 24 2013 4:25PM=-=>

Hello,
    Thank you for submitting this feedback. After carefully evaluating all of…

3. ForceCommitTimeout should kill any running sprocs

To mimic the CSS guys, "Consider this scenario..." :-)

1. An MDX query is executed which calls an .NET sproc.

2. Cube processing finishes and asks for a commit lock. The lock cannot be granted until the MDX query completes.

3. The .NET sproc then opens a connection to Analysis Services with AMO or AdomdClient. This new connection is blocked by #2 which is blocked by #1. A deadlock is reached.

4. Even when ForceCommitTimeout expires (the duration allowed for cube processing commits to be blocked), Analysis Services does not kill the sproc, so the deadlock continues forever.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Nov 14 2009 1:44PM=-=>

This scenario is discussed here:
    http://asstoredprocedures.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Don%27t%20Deadlock%20Yourself&referringTitle=Additional%20Resources

<=-=Dec 15 2009 4:02PM=-=>

There’s a good discussion of the SQLCLR equivalent here:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/psssql/archive/2009/12/15/how-it-works-are-you-handling-cancels-correctly-in-your-sqlclr-code.aspx

It would be interesting to take a similar approach in SSAS sprocs by the engine throwing a ThreadAbortException that we could catch.

<=-=Mar 15 2010 7:28PM=-=>

Thank you for filing this feedback item. We will investigate the reported behavior and update this item when we have more information to report.

Sincerely,
    The Analysis Services team

4. Analysis Services DrillThrough Error

We are facing strange DrillThrough error in our cube.

We have cube which has calculated measures, Drill through and 2 roles for securing the data.
    When users click on drill through report we are getting following error

===================================

The selected action cannot be completed because of the following error.
    Internal error: An unexpected exception occurred.
    This error may have occurred because the definition for the action is not valid. Verify the definition using the Actions view. (Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio)

Program Location:

at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Browse.ActionsAwarePivotTable.OnAction(MenuCommand menuCommandSender, CommandHandlingArgs args)
    at Microsoft.DataWarehouse.Design.CommandHandlingInfoMap.HandleCommand(MenuCommand menuCommand)
    at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Controls.PivotTableControl.Microsoft.DataWarehouse.Interfaces.ICommandTarget.InvokeCommand(MenuCommand menuCommand)
    at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Browse.CubeBrowser.BrowserStateSwitchManager.ConnectedAndActiveStateCommandTarget.InvokeCommand(MenuCommand menuCommand)
    at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Browse.CubeBrowser.Microsoft.DataWarehouse.Interfaces.ICommandTarget.InvokeCommand(MenuCommand menuCommand)

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Mar 15 2010 7:28PM=-=>

Thank you for filing this feedback item. We will investigate the reported behavior and update this item when we have more information to report.

Sincerely,
    The Analysis Services team

<=-=Mar 24 2011 5:30PM=-=>

Hello,

We would like to know if you have upgraded to a more recent product version. If yes, do you still see the same issue?

Sincerely,
    The Analysis Services Team

<=-=Jun 6 2011 3:40PM=-=>

Hello,
    We wanted to check with you if you are still seeing this issue with newer product version.

Sincerely,

5. Copy-Paste does not working properly in SQL Server Management Studio

You cannot copy more than 100000 rows from SQL Server Management Studio query edit window or "Messages" tab that appears after executing T-SQL batch.

It is not a Windows clipboard limitation, because you could easily copy and paste any number of rows from notepad to Word, for example.

There is no limitations on how many rows you could paste into SQL Server Management Studio.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Dec 9 2009 9:20PM=-=>

Just started using 2008 SMS and found the same problem. I looked for a configuration parameter but could not find one. Is this a bug or one of Microsoft’s usual arcane and stupid “improvements”?

<=-=Nov 1 2010 10:25AM=-=>

Hello Andrey,
    Thank you for reporting the problem via connect. Sorry for the delay in responding to this.

Currently we are tracking the same issue through different work item, see this connect request (http://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=479617). For now I am resolving this as duplicate of feedback ID 479617.

If you have any other comments or feeback then feel free to contact me directly at nikhilku@microsoft.com

Thanks,
    Nikhil Kumar
    nikhilku@microsoft.com

6. Certain values for ROWTERMINATOR field in BULK INSERT crash SQL Server 2008 SP1

I've noticed that using ROWTERMINATOR = '0x7c0x0a' consistently crashes SQL server 2008 when executing BULK INSERT statement to load the data. The following error can be found in the System event log:

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Service Control Manager
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 7034
    Date: 11/22/2009
    Time: 8:25:11 AM
    User: N/A
    Computer: WPRDUSMJ00751
    Description:
    The SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER) service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 2 time(s).

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

The complete bulk insert statement is below:

BULK INSERT RXNATOMARCHIVE
    FROM 'c:\rxnorm\rrf\RXNATOMARCHIVE.RRF'
    WITH
    (
    FIELDTERMINATOR = '|',
    ROWTERMINATOR = '0x7c0x0a' …

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 8

<=-=Dec 1 2009 10:47AM=-=>

Victor: Thanks for reporting this issue. I just tried loading file from the following web but it requires me to be a registered user. http://www.nlm.nih.gov/research/umls/rxnorm/docs/rxnormfiles.html

It will be great if you can send us a sample data file containing couple of rows. One question on your row terminator. you are using 0×7c0x0a. I assume it is 0×7c0a (i.e. two bytes?). Also, how did you identify the row terminaton character. We need to look at the server crash situation

thanks
    Sunil

<=-=Dec 2 2009 7:10AM=-=>

Sunil,

I have attached a file that contains first 100 rows from the original file. You are correct, I was trying to use two-byte row delimiter (0×7c0a) but I was specifying it as a sequence of two one-byte notations. I didn’t try much further after I’ve discovered that it crashes the server.

They use vertical bar character to separate the…

7. 2008 R2 Nov CTP - BIDS - text box - action fails to display parameters of destination report

SQL server 2008 R2 NOV CTP
    When an action and destintation report are selected.

It should be possible to view the parameters of the destination report. The parameters are available if report builder 3.0 is used.

Reproduceable with Text box , map layer properties
    It is as if BIDS does not query the RDl correclty?

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. KJTAP - QXL Ricardo : Formula have error when renaming a column or a table referenced by it

In PowerPivot Addon, if calculated column depending on other calculated exists, the rename of a table or a column reference by this formula goes to error.

If you change the table name, all the DAX formula pointing to referring to column on this table will show errors. An warning when trying to change the name should be great, or an automatic refreash of the table name in formula could be more interesting. Same if you change the column name and have dependencies on the column.

Env : XP SP3 - x86 - Excel 2010 Beta 2 - English OS but…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Hidden Parameter is resetted to default value, allthough it has been updated before by (go to report) action

Hidden Parameter is resetted to default value, allthough it has been updated before by (go to report) action.

This (only) occurs when another, visble, parameter has been changed and refreshed (View Report) by the end-user sing the Report Viewer via a web browster (IE8), thus not when using BIDS! However when the parameter is set to "Visible" the parameter is not resetted to its default value.

I attached two *.rdl files to reproduce the bug. See for futher information in "Steps to Reproduce"

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Dec 1 2009 8:25AM=-=>

This is an extremely important fix for us as the Workaround does not work for us as it contains secure information. Furthermore, we MUST show a snapshotted report.

<=-=Dec 11 2009 10:19AM=-=>

Thanks for reporting this issue and for providing excellent repro cases. We will investigate the issue for a future RS release. One additional workaround you can try is to place all your hidden parameters before any visible parameters. This should keep RS from re-applying the default value when a visible parameter is changed. I’ve attached a modified version of your hidden parameter report with the workaround.

Thanks,
    John
    Reporting Services Team

<=-=Dec 14 2009 11:45PM=-=>

I’ve tested your proposed workaround and it worked in our case. Allthough I can think of other cases in which the hidden parameter is ALSO dependant of proceeding parameters. In that case the proposed workaround, so please…

10. Reporting Services 2008 MDX Query Designer Syntax Highlighting

In the RS 2005 query designer had all the features you would expect from an editor, such as syntax highlighting and line spacing. All this seems to have disappeared in RS 2008, what you get is a single line of grey text, meaning it's totally unusuable. I have to use Mgmt Studio to test my queries and then copy & paste into RS.

I also find it frustrating that in RS 2008 you have to fire up the query designer every time you want to edit a query (especially as it's not exactly super fast), as opposed to the design…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 24

<=-=Nov 26 2009 6:45AM=-=>

Yes, I know I’ve already found a work around of sorts by using Mgmt Studio but it’s pretty inconvenient when your query contains parameters.

<=-=Feb 17 2010 8:15AM=-=>

We utilize MDX for a most of DW reporting, and our company has not upgraded to SQL 2008 specifically for the omission of this feature. Some of our reports have 5,6 or even more parameters so simply using Management Studio is not feasable.

<=-=Feb 17 2010 8:26AM=-=>

The two points above are the major reason I’m resisting switching to SSRS 2008. I am glad to see that there are other users that see that the loss of these features is a big problem to SSRS developers. Many of my companies reports have 8-10 drop downs, and the lack of a Data tab found in SSRS 2005 is a major hastle to me.

We also design very…

11. KJTAP � MIP: Re-installation of PowerPivot Add-in doesn�t enable the add-in.

Excel crushed when I was working on a Gemini model. After the crush PowerPivot add-in disappeared. I re-installed PowerPivot add-in by uninstalling the existing add-in from Control Panel and installing PowerPivot from the drop location. Still PowerPivot add-in wasn�t available in Excel. I had to manually enable it.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jan 7 2010 2:36PM=-=>

Thank you for providing this feedback. We are currently investigating the reported functionality and will provide updates as we have them.

Thank you for assistance,

<=-=Apr 1 2013 9:55AM=-=>

Hello,

This issue is resolved when you use the Excel 2013 version of PowerPivot. Closing it as fixed.

Regards,
    The Analysis services team

12. Multi-Select Issues - connecting to Analysis Services 2008 using Excel 2007

We are creating reports on in Excel 2007 pivot tables connecting to Analysis Services 2008.

If we create report with one attribute from dimension at Row Level and another attribute from same dimension is at report filter level
    when I try to do multi selecting and unselect some members on both the attributes, Excel throws up following error

Internal error: An unexpected exception occurred

When I try to execute MDX query generated by Excel it shows up same error.

Same process doesn�t show any error in SQL management studio.
    Query generated by SSMS and Excel are different.

Also same process…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 4

<=-=Jan 8 2010 3:51PM=-=>

Thank you for providing this feedback. We are currently investigating the reported functionality and will provide updates as we have them.

<=-=Sep 28 2011 9:37AM=-=>

It turns out that this bug got filed in our system twice. We are resolving one of the bugs as a duplicate of the other. The other copy of this bug will remain active and the plan is to address it in the release (or in an update) that follows Denali.

Thanks,
    Howie Dickerman
    Analysis Services Product Team

13. TempDB Log file showing free available space in negative.

One of the SQL Server(Microsoft SQL Server 2008 (SP1)) went out of space. The tempdb is showing one strange behavior.

When I tried to shrink the files, I saw the available free space in negative numbers as highlighted. Even the free space percentage is too weird.
    The screenshot is posted on dbtalk@microsoft.com.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 11

<=-=Sep 24 2010 1:11AM=-=>

running SQL Server 2005. The server ran out of space because tempdb grew unproportioanlly large. Recovered space but now tempdp is showing available free space in negative. Both for data and log file. If we restart the server, it would adjust but after data loads it goes back to negative.

<=-=Aug 11 2011 2:14AM=-=>

Hi

Greetings from the SQL Server Manageability team.

Thanks for writing in to Microsoft. We greatly value your feedback.

We tried reproducing the problem that you are facing, but not able to observe the issue that you describe. If you can consistently repro this, please get back to us, with detailed configuration and repro steps.

Thanks again for providing feedback and making SQL Server the greatest Database server.

Regards,
    Sai.

<=-=Jul 6 2012 12:52PM=-=>

I am having the same issue on Server 2003 with SQL Server 2005 SP3. Same situation…

14. DATETIME parameters getting DATETIME2 values from .NET

When creating a new stored procedure on SQL 2008 and using the older DATETIME datatype something is converting the value into a DATETIME2 style value when it tries to put it into the DATETIME datatype.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 6

<=-=Dec 11 2009 11:09AM=-=>

People have been talking about this problem here http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqldatabaseengine/thread/6d455ce9-d699-46b0-9b1f-04cc8a3279ea for a bit now, but no one could actually confirm that it was submitted to the PG for resolution.

<=-=Dec 14 2009 12:10PM=-=>

Hi,

This is a problem with RPC trace, which results in displaying extra zeros in SQL Server Profiler because we always print 7 fractional digit for the type DBTYPE_DBTIMESTAMP regardless of whether this comes from datetime, smalldatetime, datetime2, or datetimeoffset.

Rest assured, the stored procedure taking a datetime parameter, and being sent a .NET DateTime is actually not using a datetime2 type despite what SQL Server Profiler shows. The stored procedure is receiving a datetime. No conversion is happening on the server in this case. This is only a tracing problem.

Thank you for reporting that issue, we had discovered and fixed it a few month ago, and the next major…

15. Report manager: Access to drop down menu actions.

When logged in as a user with Browser only rights I found that users where still presented with all of the same options on the report and folder dropdown menus as an administrative user. Users should only see the actions which they have rights for.

We do create custom roles for users to provide them with specific elevated rights within their folders but it creates confusion for them when they see actions they have rights to as well as actions they are not granted access to.

This also creates a longer process when auditing security as we must test each…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Dec 14 2009 5:23PM=-=>

Thnk you for filing this bug Deborah.

After further investigation, in SSRS 2008 R2 we have decided to continue assessing the permissions after or once the user has clicked on the item in drop down context menu. We do plan to consider assessing them before and hide drop down context menu items a user does not have access to accordingly in the next major release.

HTH
    Prash

16. Corrupt index after doing CREATE INDEX WITH(ONLINE=ON)

We have witnessed a strange case of index corruption after trying to create an index ONLINE the last time. The problem manifested itself in that we couldn't do an UPDATE to a few data sets after creating the index ONLINE. We could do SELECT, so we have noticed that the non-updatable rows must have been created (inserted) exactly while the index creation was underway (we have seen it because this is a "purchase" table which has a timestamp for each data set).

The error manifested itself trough a strange ERROR message (which point at low level problems) every time we…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 2

<=-=Dec 17 2009 6:06AM=-=>

Andras, is the index compressed? Row or page?

<=-=Dec 17 2009 6:57AM=-=>

No, no compression at all (nowhere in our db).

<=-=Jan 11 2010 6:42AM=-=>

What are the odds to get some response on this issue?

<=-=Jan 20 2010 1:13PM=-=>

Andras: Sorry for the delay in the response. I have requested developer to comment on this. I assume that you rebuilt the index. I would like to know if (a) you built it ONLINE and if yes, are you still seeing the issue (b) if you built it OFFLINE, I assume the problem will not come as this is the sceanrio that has worked for you.

thanks
    Sunil

<=-=Jan 21 2010 2:13AM=-=>

Well, the correction of the problem was really – as you assumed – by recreating the same indexes with normal OFFLINE. And then, the problems went away.

But even while…

17. An error the file path for ITOps.xlsx is not found prompts on PowerPivot Dashboard

After I install PowerPivot for SharePoint and go to PowerPivot Dashboard, I get an error box saying the file path for ITOps.xlsx is not found. It may be a localization problem.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jan 8 2010 4:25PM=-=>

Thank you for providing this feedback. We investigated the reported functionality and determined that it was a known CTP3 bug which has been fixed for the final release.

18. Internal error: An unexpected exception occurred. (Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Analysis Services)

Error gets introduced when running existing SSRS reports after updating the cube to include additional sets (for working with relative dates). Existing reports do not use these sets but get effected by their inclusion in the cube.

CREATE DYNAMIC SET CURRENTCUBE.[TodaySet]
    AS filter([D Date].[Year Month Date].[Simple Date].Members,

[D Date].[Year Month Date].CurrentMember.Properties(&quot;Date As Int&quot;) 

= Format(Now(), &quot;yyyyMMdd&quot;));

CREATE DYNAMIC SET CURRENTCUBE.[Last6MonthSet]
    AS {[YearMonthDateTodaySet].Item(0).Parent.lag(7) : [YearMonthDateTodaySet].Item(0).Parent.lag(1) } ;
    CREATE DYNAMIC SET CURRENTCUBE.[LastMonthSet]
    AS {[YearMonthDateTodaySet].Item(0).Parent.lag(1)} ;
    CREATE DYNAMIC SET CURRENTCUBE.[YearMonthDateTodaySet]
    AS exists([D Date].[Year Month Date].[Simple Date].Members, [TodaySet]).ITEM(0).ITEM(0) ;

The following error appears when executing the dataset from the report designer:

===================================

Internal error:…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 8

<=-=Jan 8 2010 3:52PM=-=>

<=-=Feb 4 2010 9:28AM=-=>

Hi guys, I am having the same error, but when I want to execute any type of Drillthrough operation from the Pivot table (Visual Studio or SMMS).

I run into the following post: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/957819. I have tried that approach but with no luck.

I am running SQL 2008, SP1.

Please any suggestion?

Regards,

Ben

<=-=Feb 4 2010 9:37AM=-=>

Hi guys,

I solved part of the problem. I had to erase a named set. After that Drillthrough worked ok.

Regards,

Ben

<=-=Apr 18 2010 2:45PM=-=>

Hi,

I have exactly this problem. I have a cube with approx 30 DYNAMIC SETS based on Time. When users want to filter on Time…

19. View Dependencies fails with Transact-SQL Error 515

"View Dependencies" operation performed against a table in in SQL Server Management Studio fails with Transact-SQL Error 515.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 22

<=-=Jan 5 2010 11:55PM=-=>

Hi Rdoherty,

Thanks for reporting this issue, we are able to reproduce this issue internally when table has a filtered index on it. Please let us know if that is the case where you are hitting it too. If not, please provide clearer steps to reproduce the issue. We will try to fix this issue in our next release.

Thanks,
    Sravanthi

<=-=Apr 8 2010 7:16AM=-=>

In my case, I can verify the use of a filtered index but this problem doesn’t only occur when I try to do dependencies on the object with the index. Any object with dependencies with that object is also unable to enumerate it’s dependencies because of this error.

<=-=Apr 21 2010 3:12PM=-=>

In this code, below, there is no provision for referencing class 7 but in my database I have 7 but your case statement does not handle this.…

20. The query processor ran out of internal resources and could not produce a query plan with WHERE in and several thousand values

The query processor ran out of internal resources and could not produce a query plan. This is a rare event and only expected for extremely complex queries or queries that reference a very large number of tables or partitions. Please simplify the query. If you believe you have received this message in error, contact Customer Support Services for more information. (SQL-42000)

SELECT DISTINCT value FROM sometable WHERE id IN (several thousands of values)

Hardly complex.
    For SQL 2005 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/946020

However this does not appear to be fixed for SQL 2008

A workaround is to build a C# CLR Tabular function…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 34

<=-=Dec 23 2009 4:50PM=-=>

Thank-you for taking the time to post this issue. Whilst we will not make a change to SQL 2008 to increase the limit of elements in an IN list, we are working to improve such limits generally in a future release. Please be aware however that with such queries, better performance is likely to be achieved by inserting the constant values into a temp table and performing a join with the underlying permanent table.

Sincerely,
    Campbell Fraser
    SQL Development

<=-=Dec 27 2009 11:32PM=-=>

Inserting into a temp table is impractical when dynamically generating statements based on previously queried results sets where the WHERE data used orginally can not longer be used, such as after an UPDATE. Or when the process is the result of a dynamic process in a external application. In the case where I ran across this a the values being…

• Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base