SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server 2017 powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server 2017 brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Copy Paste Functionality in Report Builder Formula

In all versions of SSRS Report Builder (including the 2008 RC1 Release) The ability to copy and paste in the formula dialog does not work. This is the one issue in which we have dozens of users being challenged by the work arounds and avoiding adoption of what is an excellent ad hoc reporting tool.

This issue is also occurs for Report Model Developers through the design tools in BI Developer Studio.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 4

<=-=Sep 11 2008 11:12AM=-=>

Thanks for your feedback. The inability to copy/paste in the Formula dialog is a known issue and has not been implemented yet due to the need to handle embedded subformulas. Other customers have expressed desire for this feature as well. We hope to address this in a future release.

2. Report Builder 2.0 cannot run reports using forms authentication

Creating a report against a model and then trying to execute it against a report server configured for forms authentication does not work.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Data Collector : query statistics report duration can be WAY off

I let a query run overnight (over 15 hours); when I viewed the query statistics report, it has divided the duration (in seconds) by 1000, showing that it ran in 56 seconds (56,000 milliseconds) instead of 56,000 seconds.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 1

<=-=Nov 5 2008 6:27AM=-=>

We are running into a similar problem, however in our case we consistenly see zero values for the snapshot_worker_time column for the first n runs where n is random. For example we tried with a very simple query like this one:
    SELECT *
    FROM Sales.SalesOrderHeader AS O1
    JOIN Sales.SalesOrderDetail AS O2
    ON O1.SalesOrderID = O2.SalesOrderID

<=-=Nov 20 2008 5:26PM=-=>

Aaron,

This looks like an existing bug (bug # is 234755). The problem is an understating of execution time (and CPU) for in-progress queries. Only very-long-running queries that are still in-progress at the point of data collection are affected. Once a query has completed, the execution stats roll from dm_exec_requests into dm_exec_query_stats, and the correct stats will get harvested and reported after that point. (However, note that if you cancel a query — as in your repro scenario — the stats never get rolled…

4. CREATE LOGIN fails when DB collation does not match AD collation

Customer is using case sensitive SQL Server instances for their SAP rollout. When adding a Windows login to SQL Server, if the account was already used locally in some capacity on the cluster node, and the case of the login used was incorrect from what was used for Active Directory (upper or lower case), then SQL Server will fail in the attempt to add the Windows account.

I found a solution in KB article 946358 to clear the local SID cache. This is working for them, however the customer has asked if we can submit a request to have the…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 3

<=-=Sep 11 2008 10:54AM=-=>

Hi Joe,

We’ve heard of this problem before and we’ll investigate a fix in a future release of SQL Server.

Il-Sung.

<=-=Oct 12 2009 5:02AM=-=>

Hi ,
    Is this bug fixed now, if yes let me know how to resolve this issue plz..

<=-=Oct 24 2009 12:24AM=-=>

Hi. No, the issue still exists.

<=-=Nov 12 2009 5:30AM=-=>

A possible workaround for this issue is to use suser_sname(suser_sid(@name, 0)) as described in the BOL, http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms179889.aspx.

Il-Sung.

<=-=May 9 2013 5:40PM=-=>

Hi, Thank you for providing your feedback. You suggestion is something that we have already started thinking about. It’s unfortunately too late to add any new features to this release but we’ll definitely consider it for a future version of SQL Server.

5. RepeatColumnHeaders=True has no effect

I have a table (tablix) with column headers. When the table detail rows span more than one page in Preview, the column headers should repeat on each new page. Setting the RepeatColumnHeaders property of the tablix to True has no effect.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 7

<=-=Dec 12 2008 11:44AM=-=>

Thank you for posting this feedback. The RepeatColumnHeaders property works if there is a column headings area in your report. Unfortunately, the default table does not contain a Column Header area so setting the property appears not to work. You can identify a Column Heading area if you see the double dotted lines in your tablix. A work around is to add a column group to your table. Then delete the group in the grouping pane but choose to leave the associated rows and columns. Now you can move your column header labels to the new cells above the double dashed lines and it should work.

We know this is a usability issue and are looking at fixing it in the next release.

<=-=May 12 2009 2:09PM=-=>

Requiring the column headers to be included as 2008 wants us to seems a little strange. There…

6. PIVOT fails with XML column in table even if the column is not referenced

Executing PIVOT command fails if the source table includes columns that are not comparable e.g. XML. This failure occurs even if the XML column is not referenced in the query.

This needs to be circumvented by by either using a subquery or CTE to limit the columns in the result that is passed to the PIVOT operation.

There should be no need to do that.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 6

<=-=Sep 23 2008 6:30PM=-=>

Dear Adam

Thanks for the report. This is currently by design since these uncomparable columns (also observable with other non-comparable types like the spatial types) serve for grouping purposes unless they are not included in the rowset. We are however looking into possible solutions for this and have filed it for investigation for now.

Best regards
    Michael

<=-=Sep 7 2009 9:55AM=-=>

Forum discussion related to this issue http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/transactsql/thread/27286804-9411-4ac1-8a0d-165ce37c66db

<=-=Mar 10 2011 6:18PM=-=>

Hello Adam,

I have resolved your request as duplicate of one below:

http://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/127071

We will track your feature request as part of that.

Umachandar, SQL Programmability Team

7. SSIS Data Mining Query transform seems to give wrong results

Using a Decision trees model I can query the model in SSMS and the Excel AddIn giving me results that have varying Predict() and PredictProbability() values for the input dataset. With the SSIS Data Mining query transform I always get the same values in these prediction functions for the same dataset in all rows. I can copy + Paste the query into SSMS from the transform and it gives me different values to SSIS.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Oct 13 2008 4:47PM=-=>

Thanks Allan for reporting the problem.

in order to understand what is going on we need more information attached to this issue.

Alternatively you can try and contact customer support immideate help.

Thanks.
    The Analysis Services Team

<=-=Oct 14 2008 6:13AM=-=>

What information would you like.

The problem is that the Excel add-in when running the prediction query gave me what I think was good results. It had a mix of getting things right and wrong and different probabilities.

SSIS the DM Query transform for the exact same query told me that the expected prediction was the same for every single row as was the the PredictProbability() value.

Does that help.

<=-=Oct 14 2008 7:23AM=-=>

Hi Guys. I have attached a file with some pictures. The data being used in XL and SSIS as the testing data is the same. The results are very…

8. mimefilt.dll does not recognize HTML body mail in full Text Search

mimefilt.dll works fine with pain text mail but not with HTML formatted body
    In this case it reads only the object of the mail

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

<=-=Nov 3 2009 10:53AM=-=>

Thanks for the feedback.

We succesfully indexed the email in question you attached in this bug. Can you please tell me what content you do not see later on at query time? we want to verify we index indexed all the content (including HTML formatted one), thus we need the query you are using that fails to you.

Thanks!

<=-=Nov 5 2009 1:59AM=-=>

It is quite strange.
    Im using SQL 2008 10.0.2531 and a database with filestreams full text indexed.
    One of the file is the second mail I’ve just sent to you and I Cant’ find the text ‘vediamo’ inside the body (a freetext statament) … (“Pillole di Tecnologia, l’Hard Disk questo sconosciuto.eml”) but the oject of the mail is correct indexed, in fact ‘Pillole’ is found correctly and also ‘Hard Disk’
    Regards.
    Luca

<=-=Jul 22 2013 5:36PM=-=>

Thanks for the feedback.

Unfortunately…

9. SQL Server 2008 Service Pack 1 Cumulative Update 4 Hotfix to Version 10.00.2740.00

SQL Server 2008 SP1 CU4 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/973602) has been updated on 4th November 2009. On the the download page you can fetch an updated version (10.00.2740.00 instead of the original 10.00.2734.00)
    The filename (SQLServer2008SP1CUUpdatedRefKB976761) points to a knowledgebasearticle 976761 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976761) that does not (yet) exist.
    I could not find any information on the net about this revision. What happened?

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 8

<=-=Nov 8 2009 12:43PM=-=>

I wrote a pretty lengthy blog post about this today: http://is.gd/4Qk4o / http://sqlblog.com/blogs/aaron_bertrand/archive/2009/11/08/some-updates-to-sql-server-2008-sp1-cu4-you-may-not-have-noticed.aspx

I think the PSS team should think hard about the servicing model and why files must be rushed out to the download servers before any documentation or announcement about those files has been released. There should never be a public reference to a KB that hasn’t been published yet, but letting me put 2470 on my servers (potentially by accident!), without first telling me what it is, is a nightmare waiting to happen.

I realize that some of these tasks take longer than others, and are signed off on by different groups. But if the files are not a critical fix, then you should be able to talk about the update before it needs to be physically out there. And if the files are a critical fix, then all the more…

10. SQL Server 2005 Slow Performance

Thesql server 2005 is very slow for specific time duration particulary between 2 PM to 4 PM. It is caused even only very limited user connected. The server specification is IBM X-226 series (Xeon Processor, 2 GB RAM, 140 GB Hardddisk)

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Nov 20 2009 4:53PM=-=>

Govindaraj,

We don’t have enough information to understand this issue from your initial description. It could be a larger number of possible things that may involve application design, SQL Server, or both. In this forum, it’s important that you narrow down the issue by providing a detailed way to reproduce the problem. If you need additional help, consider contacting Microsoft Consulting Services (for design help) or Product Support Services (if you think the problem is a bug).

Best regards,
    Eric

<=-=Nov 22 2009 5:23PM=-=>

Govind,

For issues like this you will get better responses if you post this in the forums. As Eric mentioned there could be lot of factors that could be causing. SP2 and SP3 fixed lot of issues and you may want to look at those options too. Please feel free to post in here (http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqldatabaseengine/threads/) and one of…

11. Can not edit data source in Report Model project

I recently purchased and installed SQL 2008 (Standard) SP1 on a Win2008 server.
    I installed BIDS on my XP-SP2 workstation and have problems editing data sources. BIDS crashes with the error below.

I can edit the Data Source created in step 2, as long as there is no Report Model in the project (i.e. skip step 4). As soon as a Report Model is added, I can't edit the Data Source.

I used FilMon to watch what processes were accessing the DataSource file (ServiceCenter.ds). The only process that accesses the file is DevEnv.exe.
    When I don't have a Report Model…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Nov 23 2009 7:49AM=-=>

Thanks csharp_guru for the workaround! That helped.

<=-=Nov 23 2009 3:13PM=-=>

We have addressed this issue in the upcoming SQL Server 2008 R2 release, thank you for taking the time to file the bug.

<=-=Nov 24 2009 6:42AM=-=>

Fantastic!

<=-=Mar 25 2010 1:47PM=-=>

The workaround doesn’t work for me. I’m using TFS, so I tried unbinding. Same problem. I also tried leaving the DSV and SMDL files open. Any other suggestions?

<=-=Mar 25 2010 1:51PM=-=>

Found it. I had to open every DSV and SMDL in my project, even if they don’t use that DS.

12. FISERV TAP - Shared Dataset Refresh Plan Doesn't Require Parameter Values

According to BOL:

"If the shared dataset has parameters, you must specify static default values for each parameter that is not marked read-only. Read-only parameters will always use the default value. To cache a shared dataset for multiple combinations of parameters, you must create a separate cache refresh plan for each combination of values. Parameters cannot contain references to other datasets."

Yet, Report Manager doesn't require parameter values. When no parameter values are provided, the dataset query executes with empty parameter values.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Nov 17 2009 7:59AM=-=>

Thanks Teo. Can you include the definition of the Shared Data Set you’re using in the bug report? I’m specifically interested to know if null is a valid value for your parameters.

Thanks,
    -Lukasz

<=-=Nov 17 2009 10:01AM=-=>

Hi Lukasz

You were right! All shared dataset parameters were configured to accept NULL. Once I re-configured them, I got the expected error message:

“This data set requires a default or user-defined value for the data set parameter ‘@ReportYear’. To execute this data set, you must provide a parameter value. (rsDataSetParameterValueNotSet) "

So, I’ld lke to change this bug report to a suggestion to NOT default the shared dataset parameters to NULL when you convert a dataset to a shared dataset to avoid confusion that specifying parameters is optional.

<=-=Oct 24 2013 4:25PM=-=>

Hello,
    Thank you for submitting this feedback. After carefully evaluating all of…

13. ForceCommitTimeout should kill any running sprocs

To mimic the CSS guys, "Consider this scenario..." :-)

1. An MDX query is executed which calls an .NET sproc.

2. Cube processing finishes and asks for a commit lock. The lock cannot be granted until the MDX query completes.

3. The .NET sproc then opens a connection to Analysis Services with AMO or AdomdClient. This new connection is blocked by #2 which is blocked by #1. A deadlock is reached.

4. Even when ForceCommitTimeout expires (the duration allowed for cube processing commits to be blocked), Analysis Services does not kill the sproc, so the deadlock continues forever.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Nov 14 2009 1:44PM=-=>

This scenario is discussed here:
    http://asstoredprocedures.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Don%27t%20Deadlock%20Yourself&referringTitle=Additional%20Resources

<=-=Dec 15 2009 4:02PM=-=>

There’s a good discussion of the SQLCLR equivalent here:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/psssql/archive/2009/12/15/how-it-works-are-you-handling-cancels-correctly-in-your-sqlclr-code.aspx

It would be interesting to take a similar approach in SSAS sprocs by the engine throwing a ThreadAbortException that we could catch.

<=-=Mar 15 2010 7:28PM=-=>

Thank you for filing this feedback item. We will investigate the reported behavior and update this item when we have more information to report.

Sincerely,
    The Analysis Services team

14. Analysis Services DrillThrough Error

We are facing strange DrillThrough error in our cube.

We have cube which has calculated measures, Drill through and 2 roles for securing the data.
    When users click on drill through report we are getting following error

===================================

The selected action cannot be completed because of the following error.
    Internal error: An unexpected exception occurred.
    This error may have occurred because the definition for the action is not valid. Verify the definition using the Actions view. (Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio)

Program Location:

at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Browse.ActionsAwarePivotTable.OnAction(MenuCommand menuCommandSender, CommandHandlingArgs args)
    at Microsoft.DataWarehouse.Design.CommandHandlingInfoMap.HandleCommand(MenuCommand menuCommand)
    at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Controls.PivotTableControl.Microsoft.DataWarehouse.Interfaces.ICommandTarget.InvokeCommand(MenuCommand menuCommand)
    at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Browse.CubeBrowser.BrowserStateSwitchManager.ConnectedAndActiveStateCommandTarget.InvokeCommand(MenuCommand menuCommand)
    at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Browse.CubeBrowser.Microsoft.DataWarehouse.Interfaces.ICommandTarget.InvokeCommand(MenuCommand menuCommand)

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Mar 15 2010 7:28PM=-=>

Thank you for filing this feedback item. We will investigate the reported behavior and update this item when we have more information to report.

Sincerely,
    The Analysis Services team

<=-=Mar 24 2011 5:30PM=-=>

Hello,

We would like to know if you have upgraded to a more recent product version. If yes, do you still see the same issue?

Sincerely,

<=-=Jun 6 2011 3:40PM=-=>

Hello,
    We wanted to check with you if you are still seeing this issue with newer product version.

Sincerely,

15. Copy-Paste does not working properly in SQL Server Management Studio

You cannot copy more than 100000 rows from SQL Server Management Studio query edit window or "Messages" tab that appears after executing T-SQL batch.

It is not a Windows clipboard limitation, because you could easily copy and paste any number of rows from notepad to Word, for example.

There is no limitations on how many rows you could paste into SQL Server Management Studio.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Dec 9 2009 9:20PM=-=>

Just started using 2008 SMS and found the same problem. I looked for a configuration parameter but could not find one. Is this a bug or one of Microsoft’s usual arcane and stupid “improvements”?

<=-=Nov 1 2010 10:25AM=-=>

Hello Andrey,
    Thank you for reporting the problem via connect. Sorry for the delay in responding to this.

Currently we are tracking the same issue through different work item, see this connect request (http://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=479617). For now I am resolving this as duplicate of feedback ID 479617.

If you have any other comments or feeback then feel free to contact me directly at nikhilku@microsoft.com

Thanks,
    Nikhil Kumar
    nikhilku@microsoft.com

16. Certain values for ROWTERMINATOR field in BULK INSERT crash SQL Server 2008 SP1

I've noticed that using ROWTERMINATOR = '0x7c0x0a' consistently crashes SQL server 2008 when executing BULK INSERT statement to load the data. The following error can be found in the System event log:

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Service Control Manager
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 7034
    Date: 11/22/2009
    Time: 8:25:11 AM
    User: N/A
    Computer: WPRDUSMJ00751
    Description:
    The SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER) service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 2 time(s).

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

The complete bulk insert statement is below:

BULK INSERT RXNATOMARCHIVE
    FROM 'c:\rxnorm\rrf\RXNATOMARCHIVE.RRF'
    WITH
    (
    FIELDTERMINATOR = '|',
    ROWTERMINATOR = '0x7c0x0a' …

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 8

<=-=Dec 1 2009 10:47AM=-=>

Victor: Thanks for reporting this issue. I just tried loading file from the following web but it requires me to be a registered user. http://www.nlm.nih.gov/research/umls/rxnorm/docs/rxnormfiles.html

It will be great if you can send us a sample data file containing couple of rows. One question on your row terminator. you are using 0×7c0x0a. I assume it is 0×7c0a (i.e. two bytes?). Also, how did you identify the row terminaton character. We need to look at the server crash situation

thanks
    Sunil

<=-=Dec 2 2009 7:10AM=-=>

Sunil,

I have attached a file that contains first 100 rows from the original file. You are correct, I was trying to use two-byte row delimiter (0×7c0a) but I was specifying it as a sequence of two one-byte notations. I didn’t try much further after I’ve discovered that it crashes the server.

They use vertical bar character to separate the…

17. 2008 R2 Nov CTP - BIDS - text box - action fails to display parameters of destination report

SQL server 2008 R2 NOV CTP
    When an action and destintation report are selected.

It should be possible to view the parameters of the destination report. The parameters are available if report builder 3.0 is used.

Reproduceable with Text box , map layer properties
    It is as if BIDS does not query the RDl correclty?

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. SSAS 2008 crashes querying remote partitions

We're testing the implementation of remote partitions with one master server and one remote server. Both servers are running SSAS 2008 SP1. The measure we are working with is a distinct count measure and all the partitions in the same distinct value range are on the same server, some on the master server and some on the remote server.

SSAS on the master server crashes when querying remote partitions. It appears to be related to data volumes as some queries that only target remote partitions with a smaller number of rows return successfully.

We analysed the dump file and we…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. KJTAP - QXL Ricardo : Formula have error when renaming a column or a table referenced by it

In PowerPivot Addon, if calculated column depending on other calculated exists, the rename of a table or a column reference by this formula goes to error.

If you change the table name, all the DAX formula pointing to referring to column on this table will show errors. An warning when trying to change the name should be great, or an automatic refreash of the table name in formula could be more interesting. Same if you change the column name and have dependencies on the column.

Env : XP SP3 - x86 - Excel 2010 Beta 2 - English OS but…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Hidden Parameter is resetted to default value, allthough it has been updated before by (go to report) action

Hidden Parameter is resetted to default value, allthough it has been updated before by (go to report) action.

This (only) occurs when another, visble, parameter has been changed and refreshed (View Report) by the end-user sing the Report Viewer via a web browster (IE8), thus not when using BIDS! However when the parameter is set to "Visible" the parameter is not resetted to its default value.

I attached two *.rdl files to reproduce the bug. See for futher information in "Steps to Reproduce"

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Dec 1 2009 8:25AM=-=>

This is an extremely important fix for us as the Workaround does not work for us as it contains secure information. Furthermore, we MUST show a snapshotted report.

<=-=Dec 11 2009 10:19AM=-=>

Thanks for reporting this issue and for providing excellent repro cases. We will investigate the issue for a future RS release. One additional workaround you can try is to place all your hidden parameters before any visible parameters. This should keep RS from re-applying the default value when a visible parameter is changed. I’ve attached a modified version of your hidden parameter report with the workaround.

Thanks,
    John
    Reporting Services Team

<=-=Dec 14 2009 11:45PM=-=>

I’ve tested your proposed workaround and it worked in our case. Allthough I can think of other cases in which the hidden parameter is ALSO dependant of proceeding parameters. In that case the proposed workaround, so please…

• Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base