SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 2008 RTM, SSMS/SMO: index designer catches SMO exception when changing filter of an index with included columns

When using the index designer to modify an index, changing/adding a filter when included columns are present will cause SMO to throw exceptions.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 0

<=-=Feb 2 2009 5:16AM=-=>

Hi brandon.tucker,

Thanks for reporting this issue. We will fix this in our future release.
    Regards
    Vinod

<=-=Jul 10 2009 11:13AM=-=>

hi,
    Thanks for reporting this issue. This issue is fixed and is available in Katmai_SP1 CU update.

Regards
    Vinod

2. MSFT EMPLOYEE: In SSIS, the fast load opration does not rollback if the destination table is heap

In SSIS, the fast load operation does NOT rollback if it fails during load, when the destination table is a heap. (the Maximum Insert Commit size does not matter)

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jan 21 2009 2:23PM=-=>

Thank your for your submission. We are currently in the process of investigating this issue. We will communicate with you as the status of the case changes. Thank you for your interest and support of SSIS.

<=-=Sep 18 2009 6:48PM=-=>

This has been fixed in SQL 2008 R2. Thanks for your feedback.

3. Connection Pool holds connection-owned resources post close

When a connection is closed in ADO.NET, the connection pool holds the connection open for 4-8 minutes. This means that any resources held by the connection are also held until either the connection times out or the next open executes a reset on the connection. We need a way to force the connection to reset on CLOSE. Ideally, this could be done asynchronously post close or synchronously post close--but it needs to be done PRIOR to the open as it needlessly delays the open.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 1

<=-=Jan 29 2009 10:45PM=-=>

Thanks for your feedback. We are looking at it and will try to add support for resetting the connection in a future release

<=-=Feb 25 2010 8:01PM=-=>

I face the same problem in one of my projects. Has this been solved in 2008? Any updates/patches/Support packs?
    or do any of you know any workaround?

4. Permissions error refreshing Databases in Object Explorer

When refreshing the Databases node in Object Explorer, a database that the current user does not have access to causes the error below. This error prevents subsequent, accessible databases from being listed in the tree.

The error is not produced on the initial connection, but no databases are listed, even if some are accessible.

Workaround is to hit new query, then use the toolbar or a USE statement to select the correct database. The toolbar combo also should not contain databases that are inaccessible.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Reporting Services margins not shown

Per the attached screenshot, I cannot see the margins of the report in the report properties page.
    My display settings are set to "Custom Settings(120 DPI)"

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Dec 2 2008 10:13AM=-=>

Thank you for reporting this issue. We are investigating it.

<=-=Dec 12 2008 11:48AM=-=>

Thank you for reporting this issue. We have reproduced it and will consider fixing it in a future release.

<=-=Oct 24 2013 4:23PM=-=>

Hello,
    Thank you for submitting this feedback. After carefully evaluating all of the bugs in our pipeline, we are closing bugs that we will not fix in the current or future versions of SQL Server. The reasons for closing these bugs are following:
    1. The fix is risky to implement in the current version of the product (service packs)
    2. Scenarios reported in the bug are not common enough
    3. A viable workaround is available
    Thanks again for reporting the product issue and continued support in improving our product
    Mariusz Cichomski

6. SQL Server Configuration Manager cannot change the start mode for a service that is disabled

In SQL Server Configuration Manager, you can change the start mode of a service to disabled. However, once set, you cannot change it to any other mode. Attempting to do so throws a WMI provider error [0x80041004]

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 5

<=-=Jan 9 2009 9:59AM=-=>

Thanks for your feedback, we will consider this for next major releases.

Mingwu Zhang, SQL server Program Manager

<=-=Dec 23 2009 10:18AM=-=>

add need some help i have a problem so how can you help me with the workaround…

<=-=Mar 20 2011 8:49PM=-=>

This issue should have been resolved in a previous service release. If the issue is closed without being properly addressed, please reactivate it. This message is to close the loop on issues which should have been addressed but not communicated back within a reasonable timeframe.

<=-=Nov 28 2011 1:27PM=-=>

This issue still exists in the latest SQL Server 2008 R2. Trying to change the mode in SQL Server Configuration Manager did not work. Why the previous comment by MS indicated that it’s resolved?

7. Intellisense doesn't recognize GROUPING_ID

In SQL Server Management Studio, if you use GROUPINGID in a SELECT query, Intellisense underlines the word in red. Holding the mouse cursor over the word shows the error message:
    'GROUPING
    ID' is not a recognized built-in function name.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Feb 13 2009 5:35AM=-=>

Dear customer,

Thank you for reporting this problem. The client side IntelliSense feature seems to have missed the grouping_id function. The query using this function however should execute without any errors. We will look at fixing this issue.

Thanks again for pointing this out,
    Karthik

8. Reports don't render properly in FireFox (tested in FF v3.0.4)

Reports generated by SSRS don't render properly in FireFox. Some of the nested tables or frames do not display at 100% of the available height or width; only about 2 inches of the report are shown.

According to the W3C validator (http://validator.w3.org/), the HTML code generated by SSRS is full of HTML errors. This might be what's causing the rendering errors.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 7

<=-=Dec 3 2008 11:58AM=-=>

This is a major issue with many users.
    Many knowledgeable users prefer not to use IE because of IE’s long history of security issues.
    It is important that SSRS work properly with FireFox and other mainstream browsers.
    Problems like this contribute significantly to Microsoft’s bad reputation among knowledgeable computer users.

<=-=Dec 11 2008 6:47AM=-=>

You might want to check out this blog post:
    http://weblogs.asp.net/jgalloway/archive/2006/09/01/SQL-Reporting-Services-_2D00_-CSS-fix-for-Firefox.aspx

Also, I found a Mozilla support article that contained this comment (unfortunately, I can’t get to the article directly anymore, and had to get it from Google’s cache @ http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:BK5gXuRq2hAJ:support.mozilla.com/tiki-view_forum_thread.php%3Flocale%3Dtr%26comments_parentId%3D73195%26forumId%3D1+firefox+ssrs+plugin&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=us)

Here is the comment:

Meakyl
    not registered

Ok It seems to work.

I added style=“display:table;” in the ReportViewer control in my aspx file, it will overwrite the display:inline generated by default and it renders fine.

I hope it will do it in your proper context

Meakyl

PS : Thanks…

9. A system assertion check has failed in SQL Server 2008

The schema of this cube is a simple snowflake schema using views. During the processing of the cube the error appeared. I understand that this issue have been planned to be fixed on the latest SP release for SQL Server 2005 but we are using SQL Server 2008.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Dec 11 2008 6:11PM=-=>

Hello,

Thank you for reporting the issue!

This item was resolved as duplicate of a known bug which is fixed for the first public service pack of SQL Server 2008 (cumulative update 3). Normally, MS Connect will re-associate the feedback item with a new defect in our internal database from where the status of the bug will be taken, however, I do not see this happened (may be yet).

Thank you and regards,
    Boris.

<=-=Apr 7 2010 1:25PM=-=>

I’m working with SQL Server 2008 SP1, doing partitioning, I’ve created the table and a schema binding view, but when I try to create an index on this view it sends a similar error as it posted:

Expression: prIAM.GetBuf () != NULL
    SPID: 53
    Process ID: 1904
    Msg 3624, Level 20, State 1, Line 1
    A system assertion check has failed. Check the …

10. Minimum support parameter in Decision trees is faulty

Reproduction of original correspondance with Jamie MacLennan

Hi Jamie,

I was doing some development work for my company and was using the Microsoft Decision Tree algorithm. I am curious to learn more about the minimum support parameter.

Basically we are running into an issue which seems counter-intuitive to the manner in which we had hoped this parameter would work.

We set the min support to be 10 and get a tree which is split to 3 levels. We then set the min support to be 9 and got a tree which had split further, however none of the splits were…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Custom Reports in Management Studio - scroll bar doesn't exceed 48 lines

My customer created a custom report for use within SQL Server Management Studio. The report includes several result sets (if exported to Excel, report has 145 lines of data).

If using the scroll bar of the report within SQL Server Management Studio, you cannot exceed the 48th line. However if you use the "pg dn" button (or scroll wheel on the mouse), you can traverse through the entire result set.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 2

<=-=Jan 2 2009 5:06PM=-=>

Hi Joe,
    Thank you for your feedback regarding report viewer scrolling in SSMS. It would be great if you could include the RDL file so that we can investigate the behavior. For now, we are deferring until the next major release of SQL Server to address this issue.
    Thank you,
    Bill Ramos

<=-=Jun 28 2011 8:44AM=-=>

Hi Joseph,

I am closing this defect as no repro as we have not received the RDL file as Bill had requested. Please re-open this issue with the RDL file.

Thanks,
    Nikhil
    SQL Server Team

12. Generate scripts always appends if include descriptive headers option is set to False

In the scripts wizard, the Descriptive Headers setting overrides the effect of the Append to File setting. If the former is set to False, the wizard behaves just as if the latter was False, too.

With some searching, it became obvious to me, that this is a problem for several other users:

http://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=251068

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1553876&SiteID=17

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 6

<=-=Apr 24 2009 12:07PM=-=>

corphicks,

Thank you very much for your posting and input. We are currently in the process of making code modifications to the Generate Script Wizard and Database Publishing Wizard, both of which are using the engine in which the reported issue may occur. In other words – this is on our plate. I will keep you updated and let you know when we will get to fixing this issue.

I thank you very much again for your input and posting!

13. Worktable from MERGE(or HASH) join has value 0

Generally, MANY-to-MANY MERGE JOIN needs worktable.
    so we can see the i/o values of the worktable from STATISTICS IO.

but SQL Server 2005 and 2008 has no value. it just print 0(zero)
    You muse compare the result with SQL Server 2000.

I have also asked this issue to SQL Server Core Engine team.

I junt want to know why, because I need to teach it to my students ^^

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Drillthrough not working in Excel 2007 when base cube is hidden

This is really an Excel 2007 bug not an Analysis Services one, but I can't find a way to be a member of the Excel 2007 Connect thing, so I'm raising it here. Please forward to the Excel 2007 team if appropriate.

I have a cube with a StandardAction that executes an MDX DRILLTHROUGH statement. This works great and has been working for months. The users are getting access to the cube via Excel 2007 for the first time and I created some perspectives on the cube which only expose what is relevant to them. I don't want them to…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Copy/Paste of tablix renames child elements with same name, compile error

When I copy a tablix into a report with conflicting textbox names, the new tablix renames the textbox using all lowercase to make it unique. When I compile the report, I then get the following error.

Error 9 [rsUnexpectedCompilerError] An unexpected error occurred while compiling expressions. Native compiler return value: �[BC30179] class 'textbox1TextBoxExprHost' and class 'Textbox1TextBoxExprHost' conflict in class 'ReportExprHostImpl'.�. C:\Development\edPlan\SourceCode\Reports\SARCPlan_CA\sarc12.rdl 0 0

To fix, I rename the textbox and problem is solved. So question raised is are two elements with the same name, but differing in case equivalent acceptable, and if not, shouldn't the paste operation rename…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 15

<=-=Dec 30 2008 12:40PM=-=>

Thank you for using SQL Server Reportng Services.
    We are investigating this issue with copy/paste and object names.

<=-=Aug 27 2009 6:55AM=-=>

Even without copying and pasting, we are seeing this behavior (right click, add new row/column).

<=-=Nov 18 2010 8:20AM=-=>

Got the same issue, but with copying a textbox. VS 2008 Pro, SSRS 2008 (R1)

<=-=Mar 3 2014 12:59PM=-=>

Thank you for submitting this feedback. After carefully evaluating all of the bugs in our pipeline, we are closing bugs that we will not fix in the current or future versions of SQL Server. For this bug, it is not reproducing in the most recent version of SSDT-BI for VS2012.

If the issue is a critical business interruption, please call CSS (Customer Support Services).

Thanks,
    Michael Griscom
    SSRS Tiger Dev

<=-=Jul 18 2014 2:59PM=-=>

I am using SSRS in Visual Studio 2012 v.…

16. Occasionally when Performing an "ONLINE" rebuild of indexes on a table the rebuild will block itself and require a SQL restart to

I've performed many (>100) ONLINE rebuilds of indexes successfully. When attempting the "online rebuild" of all of the indexes on on particular table it would not complete. I eventually had to restart SQL to clear the problem.

I used the "Activity Monitor" of the Management Studio and noticed 2 suspended processes. Both had the same SPID and were obviously 2 threads working on rebuilding the same INDEX. Both had large "wait Time" and both were waiting for exclusive access (Wait Type) for the exact same resource. In the middle of the problem I forgot to record the exact Wait Type…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Feb 1 2006 10:20AM=-=>

I will attempt to reproduce your issue in-house. However, if you can, it would speed up the resolution process if you could give me more information about the state of the server when you experience this hang. Can you get me the complete results of “sys.dm_os_waiting_tasks” and “sys.dm_exec_requests” when this occurs?

<=-=Feb 2 2006 8:33PM=-=>

Unfortuneately I was only able to get this to occur one time and I restarted SQL before I collected that type of information. Since it appears to happen so infrequetly (I’ve had 100+ successfuly index rebuilds and only one failure like this) I have the feeling it may be a luck thing to reproduce this. I’ll be certain to collect more info if this occurs again.

<=-=Feb 2 2006 11:17PM=-=>

WOW… I was able to duplicate the problem! Happend again this evening. The table has 5,748,521 records. Attached…

17. SP_ADDUSER adds a user and a schema but SP_DROPUSER drops only the user

The stored procedure SPADDUSER() adds a user and a schema but the stored procedure SPDROPUSER() drops only the user.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. ExecuteSQL task and parameters exhibits strange behaviour

Parameters do not work as they maybe should or at least the behaviour is not documented

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Feb 2 2006 2:12PM=-=>

Although the bug repros with the current settings of the task, I resolved not repro since I did not know how else to resolve it! If you the user would set the BypassPrepare property to true, the task will work. The problem is with preparing statements with ?’s in them. And I believe this is documented. I will work with UE in case this is not documented.

<=-=Feb 23 2006 11:32AM=-=>

Your feedback is appreciated. When using ‘?’ placeholders, “BypassPrepare” property of the task should be set to “True”. The task described in the attachment works if “BypassPrepare” property is set to “True”. Documentation team has been communicated of this behavior.

19. Database Mail

I put the Database Mail Log entry in the "Actual Results" field.

People noticed they were not getting emails, so I used "sysmailhelpqueuesp" and it says the "state" is "NOTIFIED". I checked "sysmailunsentitems" and there are 34 unsent emails. I cannot figure out how to get database mail sending emails again.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=May 31 2006 1:08PM=-=>

Hi Thomas Griffin,

Thanks for your post . This looks like more like support issue and not bug.
    Investigation can get more info if it si a bug, but at this stage this looks more like support issue.

I am closing this bug because there is no repro steps associated with this issue. If you have consistent
    repro steps please feel free to reactivate this bug with repro steps attached.

Please feel free to contact PSS for helping you on this support issue

Thanks,
    Gops Dwarak

20. 0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Aug 1 2008 7:49AM=-=>

Thank you very much for your feedback. We are investigating.

<=-=Aug 1 2008 10:49AM=-=>

Thank you for your feedback and thank you for bringing this security aspect of SQL Browser to our attention. We will re-evaluate the port assignment in a future release. In the meantime, I will resolve this bug. If you feel that I have done so inappropriately please feel free to re-open.

-Tres London

• Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base