SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server 2017 powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server 2017 brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Cannot view database properties in SQL Expres instance

I connect with Mgmt Studio to an SQL Express instance on the same machine. I can open a query window. However, in Object Browser, I right-click a database, and select Properties. This fails with:

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio

Cannot show requested dialog.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Cannot show requested dialog. (SqlMgmt)

Full-text is not supported on this edition of SQL Server. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft SQL Server&ProdVer=9.00.1116.00&EvtSrc=Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.ExceptionTemplates.UnsupportedFeatureException&LinkId=20476

BUTTONS:

OK

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. CATCH handler causes "severe error occurred" in SqlClient when error comes from CLR PROCEDURE

This issue was originally uncovered by Christian Wade.

The repro creates a C# procedur which causes an error to occur. When you run the SQL part of the repro in Mmgt Studio, you get the print messages, but not the result sets, and you get the message "A severe error occurred on the current command. The results, if any, should
    be discarded." The happens when I try from a client that uses ADO .Net.

However, if the client is SQLCMD, Query Analyzer or uses OleDb Client, the expected output appear.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 1

<=-=May 9 2005 2:04PM=-=>

This has been fixed. The error thrown within data access will not be caught by enclosing tsql try-catch.

<=-=May 15 2005 12:21PM=-=>

Hm, I don’t really understand. I know that if you have

BEGIN TRY
    SELECT * FROM notexists
    END TRY
    BEGIN CATCH

END CATCH

earlier caused an error, and this was resolved so that the CATCH handler in this scope is not invoked.

However, in this case I call a CLR function which in its turn invokes T-SQL. Thus, the error occurs two levels up the CALL stack, so if you are not catching this error here, this is incorrect.

<=-=Jun 12 2005 11:19AM=-=>

The behaviour in te June CTP is the same.

Since this was resolved as fixed 2005-05-09, I would expect any fix to be present in the June CTP.

<=-=Jun 13 2005 10:24AM=-=>

The expected behavior…

3. log file viewer, wrong date format

Log File Viewer
    Log File Summary
    The date format in main items is correct (02.03.2006)
    The date format in subitems is incorrect (03.02.2006)[month and day in wrong sequence]

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 0

<=-=Mar 2 2006 10:36AM=-=>

Hi Rutishauser,
    Thank you for your feedback. This is a tricky scenario. I tested this by switching my regional setting to English(UK) which follows the EU date format. In the logviewer all date values were in dd/mm/yyyy format except for the dates recorded within the Message field. The message field records the info in the default US format however it is transposed appropriately in the viewer for the Date field. The resolution to this issue is partly by design for the message field while it is not repro for the other fields since all of them display in the machines regional setting format.
    I agree that reading the message field could be confusing at times but the value added by this change, if we were to even consider it would be quite small to the effort and the number of places we need to…

4. Installation of SQL Server 2005 STD 32-bit fails

After uninstalled the SQL Server 2005 Beta. I got an error message at the Workstation Components, Books Online and Development Tools process of the installation of SQL Server 2005 STD 32-bit. The message said "Error : A component that you have specified in the ADD_LOCAL property is already installed. To upgrade the existing component, refer to the template.ini and set the UPGRADE property to the name of the component."

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 2

<=-=Nov 21 2005 11:08AM=-=>

Thanks for the feedback. I am sorry you had problems here. Manually deleting keys from the registry is not supported unless directed to do so by Customer Support Services (CSS). Please retry on a clean machine and see if the problem persists. If so, please attach your log files and reactivate the bug. Thanks, Mike RothKugel

5. Unable to uninstall SQLServer Express CTP Beta2

Problem : Unable to remove the SQL Express version installed with beta2.

Origin of the problem : 'failure of loading some IDE packages(Class design / Test design) in VS2005 RTM'.

Current Environment : VS2005 RTM installed ( I have uninstalled beta2 without using the unintall order)

Logs: Attaching my sqlserver logs

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Dec 6 2005 5:48PM=-=>

Please look at the Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup
    Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup*_Core.log file. It should have a bit of
    information in it saying what the conflict is and some GUIDs indicating
    the product codes of the conflicting programs. The section you are looking
    for will look something like this (and may repeat):

Running: PerformSCCAction2 at: 2004/6/27 13:54:12 Product “{982DB00A-9C4E-436B-8707-18E113BAA44C}” versioned 9.00.823 is not compatible with current builds of SQL Server.Expected at least version: 9.00.849 The Product Name is "Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Analysis Services Beta 2"

In this case, the offending product is �Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Analysis
    Services Beta 2" with a product code of
    “{982DB00A-9C4E-436B-8707-18E113BAA44C}”

If the programs are still visible in the Add/Remove Programs control panel (ARP),
    please remove them in the order specified by the readme file. If they are not in
    ARP, please run the following…

6. SQL Server 2005 Optimizer problem

SQL Server 2005 Query Optimizer Problem

Version: SQL Server 2005 9.00.1187.07 English (US) beta

QEPs and more detail is in the ZIP attachment +http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?icp=sqlserver2005&slcid=us under Relational Server General

The query optimizer appears to me to be getting things
    badly wrong in the
    example below.

Logically identical queries result in vastly different
    execution times
    ranging from 0.1 to 155 seconds.

Of the 3 exists clauses below 158720 rows are returned by
    the first, 0 by
    the second and 2 by the third. The expected execution plan
    predicts similar
    numbers.

SET FORCEPLAN [is] OFF (actually setting it ON/OFF makes
    no difference)

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Sep 16 2005 9:16AM=-=>

Please provide a script to recreate the data. Its hard to understand optimize behavior without the context. Thanks, Ian.

<=-=Sep 17 2005 3:58PM=-=>

I added Terry’s original post to the newsgroup, as this post includes the query plans.

I realise that this is difficult without data, but what puzzles me is that two queries that logically are the same get different plans. I would expect them to be normalised to the same internal representation.

<=-=Sep 19 2005 9:32AM=-=>

There are some valid reasons why equivalent but different queries can result in different plans. For example, the optimizer does not always perform a full exploration in order to reduce compilation time. It is very hard to debug without data, so I will turn over to our Test folks to see if they can explore this space for bugs. You may consider getting a “set statistics…

7. Can't install Evaluation Edition of SQL Server 2005 after removing express.

Had SQL Server Express as part of a default installation of Visual Studio 2005. Removed all then tried to instal SQL Server 2005 Evaluation.
    Failed stating change value in template.ini to UPGRADE from ADD_LOCAL.
    The component it has issues with seems to be Workstation Components.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Feb 16 2006 12:36PM=-=>

Thank you for your feedback. In order to further investigate this issue, we will need copies of the log files under ProgramFiles\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\Log\Files. You can just zip them up and attached them to this bug. Can you also send a snapshot of the screen or error message talking about UPGRADE and ADD_LOCAL?

It looks like you may not have fully removed the Express Edition Tools prior to installing Eval. If you run Eval edition through the UI (not from the command line), do you get a dialog titled “Existing Components” with a checkbox for “Workstation Components”? If so, you need to check this box in order to upgrade your Express level tools to Eval level tools.

-Jeffrey Baker
    PM, SQL Services Lifecycle Platform Team

8. 100% CPU Usage in SQL Server Configuration Manager

When SQL Server Configuration Manager is open, it generates 100% CPU utilisation for much of the time, even when idle. This makes any other application being run at the same time, very unresponsive.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=May 1 2005 1:56PM=-=>

The behaviour I see is different from Mike, and possibly less severe. Nevertheless, it’s clear that the Computer Manager is slurping too much CPU for an idle app.

Interesting obsveration is that if I close down the GUI, WinMgmt.exe is still in the task list, although it no longer takes any CPU.

<=-=May 2 2005 2:57AM=-=>

In my case, I see three copies of wmiprvse.exe running instead of WinMgmt.exe. Each wmiprvse.exe runs under a different user name (NETWORK SERVICE, LOCAL SERVICE and SYSTEM). I believe that this arrangement of processes appears in Windows XP and later whereas WinMgmt.exe is the equivalent process under Windows 2000.

<=-=Jun 14 2005 3:24AM=-=>

The workaround that has been attached to this bug isn’t particularly useful, other than as an indication of where the root cause of the problem lies. As the workaround suggests,…

9. Database Mail

I put the Database Mail Log entry in the "Actual Results" field.

People noticed they were not getting emails, so I used "sysmailhelpqueuesp" and it says the "state" is "NOTIFIED". I checked "sysmailunsentitems" and there are 34 unsent emails. I cannot figure out how to get database mail sending emails again.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=May 31 2006 1:08PM=-=>

Hi Thomas Griffin,

Thanks for your post . This looks like more like support issue and not bug.
    Investigation can get more info if it si a bug, but at this stage this looks more like support issue.

I am closing this bug because there is no repro steps associated with this issue. If you have consistent
    repro steps please feel free to reactivate this bug with repro steps attached.

Please feel free to contact PSS for helping you on this support issue

Thanks,
    Gops Dwarak

10. Cannot find folder "\Maintenance Plans".

Unable to add any maintenance plans.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. CTP 3/2006 Express Toolkit Readme

Can't download ReadmeSqlexp2005Toolkit.htm in MS SQL Svr 2005 SP1 Express Ed. & Tools CTP

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Could not find TAP after installation.

After installation I receive an error when trying to connect to the Internet that says "can not find TAP". I use EnterNET 300 to make a DSL connection.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. RU: SQL Server 2005 (Incorrect adding domain login through Search button)

I've found bug report concerning this problem, where you wrote: "Our testers have been unable to repro the problem." I would like to describe the bug with illustrated step-by-step repro (see attachments).

Link to report: http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/productfeedback/viewfeedback.aspx?feedbackid=72992181-8642-4056-9d40-601d07b55366

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=May 18 2006 9:00AM=-=>

Thank you for your bug report regarding the login dialog. We achknowledge the behavior as you described and we will consider this for SP2.

<=-=Oct 25 2007 6:49AM=-=>

Thanks you for your bug report regarding the login dialog. We could not able to repro this bug in our lab environment.

14. SQL2K5 SP1-CTP fails while upgrading "Database Services"

I attempted to install SP1-CTP, however it fails to upgrade the "Database Services," but possibly for varying reasons?

Attempt 1: Received message about Pending Reboots, message about Full Text .dlls being locked. Stopped Full Text service, selected "Try Again," received "Failed" for "Database Services" component; successful for all other components. Rebooted.

Attempt 2: Received message about Full Text .dlls being locked. Stopped Full Text service, selected "Try Again." received "Failed" for "Database Services" component, "Warning" for "Analysis Services" component.

Attempt 3: Right after authentication-validation, stopped all SQL Server services. No longer received message from Full Text, but still "Failed" for…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Apr 10 2006 12:44PM=-=>

Thank you for the bug report.

It looks like there is an ACL issue in the installation. Unfortunately, that error was not bubbled up to you during the installation of SP1. Can you look at the ACL for D:\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data\ to see why setup could not set permissions?

From the log files:
    -
    Setup failed to modify security permissions on file D:\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data\ for user (my_net_ID). To proceed, verify that the account and domain running SQL Server Setup exist, that the account running SQL Server Setup has administrator privileges, and that exists on the destination drive.

Error 29506. SQL Server Setup failed to modify security permissions on file D:\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data\ for user (my_net_ID). To proceed, verify that the account and domain running SQL Server Setup exist, that the account running SQL

15. 0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Aug 1 2008 7:49AM=-=>

Thank you very much for your feedback. We are investigating.

<=-=Aug 1 2008 10:49AM=-=>

Thank you for your feedback and thank you for bringing this security aspect of SQL Browser to our attention. We will re-evaluate the port assignment in a future release. In the meantime, I will resolve this bug. If you feel that I have done so inappropriately please feel free to re-open.

-Tres London

16. Intellisense doesn't recognize Ctrl+Home as a cursor move

When intellisense displays parameters for a sproc, the window is still displayed even if Ctrl+Home is pressed.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Aug 27 2008 9:42AM=-=>

mjswart,

Thank you for reporting this issue. It seems like the cursor focus locates at IntelliSense UI window so the editor hotkey is not properly handled. I will request the product team further investigation on this issue.

Regards,
    Eric

<=-=Jun 27 2011 3:31PM=-=>

This issue will be resolved with teh next release of Sql Server Management studio.

17. SQL Server 2008 RC0 Installation - System Error

I receive an error when installing SQl Server 2008 on Windows Server 2008 Web Edition x64. The install actually completes successfully, but I'm concerned about the errors I got. Please review the logs and let me know if there are any changes needed.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jul 31 2008 10:29PM=-=>

dbharris,

Thanks for the report. We are investigating. At first glance it’s got to do with setting permissions on files/folders.

-Richard Waymire

<=-=Jun 9 2011 4:33PM=-=>

Hello,

Thank you for your time reporting this issue. We are closing this issue at this time. Please reactivate if you experience it with the latest service pack.

Regards,
    SQL Server

18. CTRL+U

Ctrl+U keyboard shortcut jumps to 'Available Databases' dropdown and does not make text lowercase, as advertised on the Edit -> Advanced menu. There is no keyboard shortcut to make text lowercase.
    Suggestion
    Restore Ctrl+Shift+L shortcut in SSMS 2008.

This is a duplicate of Connect 124981 raised against SQL Server 2005 Community Technology Preview June 2005 - Developer Edition.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 3

<=-=Aug 5 2008 7:30AM=-=>

I don’t see anywhere that Ctrl+U is advertised as the keyboard shortcut for “make lowercase”… here is what my advanced sub-menu looks like:

http://www.aaronbertrand.com/voodoo/CtrlU.gif

<=-=Aug 5 2008 11:25AM=-=>

That looks like the SSMS 2005 menu. My SSMS 2008 RC0 Edit, Advanced menu definitely has ‘Make Lowercase’ – Ctrl + U.

<=-=Aug 11 2008 7:09AM=-=>

Hi Bob,

Thank you for reporting the problem. You could select the text and choose Ctrl + Shift + L to make the highlighted text in lowercase. To switch back to upper case you can hit the Ctrl + Shift + U key combination.

Thanks,
    Karthik

SQL Server Manageability Team

<=-=Aug 11 2008 4:28PM=-=>

Unfortunately that appears to be the shortcut for ‘Delete Line’, so does not have the desired effect. Instead of changing the highlighted text to lowercase, the whole line is deleted.

<=-=Dec 23 2010 10:42AM=-=>

I also…

19. Floating Headers Not Working

Floating Headers does not work in Reporting Services

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Aug 4 2008 2:36PM=-=>

Hi Craig,

Thanks for providing this feedback. We didn’t see any attachment coming through, but we think we know how to resolve your problem.

First, the Repeat row headers and repeat column header options on the tablix dialog only works if there is a row header area or column header area in your report. This applies the same way for fixed headers.
    You can identify a row header area and column header areas by the double dashed lines that separate these areas from the body of the tablix.

You can still use fixed rows for areas that are not tablix headers, by setting the FixedData option on tablix members in the row hierarchy: If needed, turn on Advanced mode in the grouping pane, select the appropriate member and set the FixedData option using the property grid. We are looking to surface additional UI on…

20. xp_cmdshell

Hi, I have discovered a very strange problem in MS SQL Server 2005. When we reset the credentials of

"##xpcmdshellproxy_account##" through the command

EXEC spxpcmdshellproxyaccount 'SHIPPING\KobeR','sdfh%dkc93vcMt0'

it works always but when you try doing it from Enterprise manager it doesn't works

In fact in my situation the ##xpcmdshellproxyaccount## was already running under an accound which had sysadmin privilages on sql server and also Administrative privilages on OS but when I tried running it through another user which was a non sysadmin, the xpcmdshell failed with error code 1385.

Here is…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Aug 12 2008 7:33PM=-=>

Hi,

Thank you for your feedback. We will look into your reported issue and reply shortly.

<=-=Aug 13 2008 8:33AM=-=>

The message 1385 returned from xp_cmdshell indicates that the proxy account does not have permission to connect to the local machine. Using the “net helpmsg 1385” command in a command window results in:

Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer.

The sp_xp_cmdshell_proxy_account procedure will make sure the proxy account has the SeBatchLogonRight while management studio will only directly manipulate the CREDENTIAL DDL. In the case where only the DDL is used the SeBatchLoginRight will need to be manually assigned to the new proxy account.

Thanks for identifying this issue. We are investigating to see if this can be resolved in a future release.

<=-=Aug 17 2008 10:41PM=-=>

Hi you are very much correct on the…

• Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base