SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server 2017 powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server 2017 brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. SOS:Strange "Arithmetic Overflow Error" when do numeric dividing

when do reasonable divide operator for Decimal of Numeric, the error will occur:

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 1

<=-=Apr 18 2006 11:24AM=-=>

Thanks for your feedback, Jethro

I cannot validate the issue you are experiencing. Can you double-check your repro steps please? In addition, please provide us with the following information:

- Server version (output from SELECT @@version)
    - User options (output DBCC USEROPTIONS)

Thanks!

-Mat Henaire
    SQL Server Engine

<=-=Jun 5 2006 4:20PM=-=>

We couldn’t reproduce the problem. Please check the TSQL scripts as well as provide the version and set options that Mat mentioned below.

Thanks,
    Jun

2. Import/Export wizzard not deleting existing data

When using the import/export wizzard to move data from one database to another and selecting all tables, then clicking the mappings button it sets all tables to have there existing data deleted, however the data isn't deleted.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Sep 14 2006 9:36AM=-=>

Hello,

and thank you for reporting this problem. We are investigating the issue and if needed a fix will be provided in a future release or service pack.

Regards,
    Ovidiu Burlacu

<=-=Jul 12 2007 9:45AM=-=>

This problem should be fixed in SQL Server 2008 release. Thank you for reporting the bug

3. Keyboard shortcut issue

While working in SQL Server Management Studio...
    If I place the Line Cut command button onto my SQL Editor toolbar and hover my mouse over it it shows (Ctrl+L) as the shortcut key, however, Ctrl+L actually invokes the "Display Estimated Execution Plan" command. The only shortcut key I know of that will do a Line Cut is Ctrl+K (if nothing else is selected), but the help section on keyboard shortcuts does not explain this, and I believe it should.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 0

<=-=Sep 11 2006 2:57PM=-=>

Hi Joe,
    Thank you for your feedback regarding the keyboard command for Line Cut. We believe that this issue has already been addressed for SP2. Please check out our new release of SP2 later this week.
    Thank you,
    Bill Ramos

<=-=Sep 20 2006 2:45PM=-=>

Sorry for the miscommunication, upon reviewing this issue again, it has not been fixed for SP2. We will consider fixing this issue for a future release. The work around for a single-line cut is to use the key combination “CTRL + X” without selecting any part of the line.

Paul A. Mestemaker II
    Program Manager
    Microsoft SQL Server
    http://blogs.msdn.com/sqlrem/

<=-=Oct 25 2007 7:54AM=-=>

Thanks for this feedback. I have converted this request to either a defect (something is broken) or a Design Change Request (something new to add to the product) and so I’ll close this ticket out. We…

4. AS2005 - Error using UnaryOperatorColumn on a Many-to-Many linked dimension

Hi,
    i made a small debugging environment for a problem i am getting, it has 2 fact and 2 dimension tables:

FactAccount - fact - (AccountKey,Balance)
    DimAccount - dimension - (AccountKey,Code,Name)
    BridgeAccountReport - fact - (AccountKey,ReportKey)
    DimReport - dimension - (ReportKey,ParentReportKey,Code,Name,UnaryOperator)

the dimension usage is as follows:

for BridgeAccountReport
    DimAccount - Regular
    DimReport - Regular

for FactAccount
    DimAccount - Regular
    DimReport - Many-to-Many using BridgeAccountReport as intermediate fact table

DimReport has a self-referencing hierarchy using ParentReportKey.

The idea is to be able to use the same facts recorded at the DimAccount level under different analysis structures recorded in DimReport.

The…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 13

<=-=Sep 15 2006 10:28AM=-=>

Thank you for reporting this issue. We will investigate it and get back to you.

<=-=Dec 4 2006 5:15PM=-=>

I have found the same problem but it is not related to the level, it is related to the operator used. Only the ‘+’ suffers from the bug, if you use ‘-’ on upper levels, calculation works well.

<=-=May 19 2010 11:02AM=-=>

Marco,

Has this been resolved? I’m encountering the same error and am trying to puzzle out a workaround. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Van

<=-=Aug 12 2011 12:33PM=-=>

5 yrs later and not even a workaround?!

<=-=Apr 15 2016 8:32AM=-=>

It seems this issue has been properly addressed with version 2014. I’ve tested the case explained here and all is working fine. I am trying to use the bridge table to implement shared members but have not been successful yet. Can some one…

5. SSAS, MDX: function ORDER with CROSSJOINed sets is arrange items of last set only.

When I try to sort Croosjoined sets by ORDER function, they isn't sorted as expected. Only last set in crossjoin expression is sorted, but not all. In MSAS2000 all sets is sorted correctly.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 3

<=-=Sep 15 2006 10:32AM=-=>

Thank you for reporting this issue. We will investigate it and get back to you.

<=-=Mar 15 2007 5:59AM=-=>

Related problem: The OrderByExpressoin seems to be ignored in queries like this – you can write whatever you want:

SELECT [Measures].[Maal1 Taeller] on columns,
    {ORDER([D Myndighed].[D Myndighed].[D Myndighed] *
    [D Myndighed].[Myndigheds Ident].[Myndigheds Ident],
    [Rubish or something else], ASC)} ON rows
    FROM [NCH DM]

6. AS05: Very slow update of cube, when processing a dimension with flexible relationsships

We have a cube with 18 measuregroups and over 1000 partitions in total.
    We have 6 dimension where some relationsships are flexible, meaning that we have a lot of flexible aggregations.

After an update of a dimension, AS05 will mark all flexible aggregations as invalid. This takes approx. 50 minutes !

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Sep 18 2006 11:21AM=-=>

Thank you for reporting this issue. We will investigate and get back to you.

<=-=Oct 16 2006 3:07PM=-=>

Aggregations based on flexible attribute relationships are treated pessimisticl; that is, if they might be invalidated they are. If an attribute relation can be marked as rigid, aggregations are not rebuilt.

Sorry – we weren’t able to get this into the next service pack. We’ll be taking another look at this (but there is a lot of work we’d like to get done for the next release so it might not get in.)

7. Management Studio drops EXECUTE AS for triggers when modifying a table

When a table is modified using the designer in SQL Management Studio, so that it has to be dropped and recreated (for example, adding a column in the middle), the result is that for triggers (tested only on managed triggers) with EXECUTE AS OWNER or EXECUTE AS N'UserName', this EXECUTE AS attribute is dropped to EXECUTE AS CALLER.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Sep 21 2006 12:25PM=-=>

Also from time to time it seems that for managed stored procedures the EXECUTE AS is also dropped, although I haven’t yet seen a pattern there, so as well it could be developers mistake.

<=-=Sep 22 2006 3:24PM=-=>

Hi Knagis,
    Thank you for your feedback regarding the table designer droping CLR triggers. We already have this issue on file and plan to address this for SP2. Here are some words of wizdom from the duplicate report.

Updated on 3/7/2006 8:58:16 AM by SimonGallagher
    Thanks for the extra info Erland. I always (laziness I know) used the table designer on development databases prior to 2005; and was comfortable doing so after many, many years of using it. I assumed the 2005 would just work…oops! :(

I agree, and practice what you mention as far as changes to Production databases. Everything is done via scripts, that…

8. MDX query referencing non-existent dimension runs forever

If you write an MDX query which includes the uniquename of a member on a dimension which is not present in the cube, the query runs forever. AS should immediately identify the fact that this member/dimension doesn't exist and raise an error.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. SQL Azure Requires a Table to have a Clusted Index

SQL Azure requires all tables to have a clustered index. I have an application that creates tables on the fly to hold small amounts of data, five to ten rows on average. The tables are deleted when the application shuts down. There is no way for me to modify the DDL commands since they're embedded in the application code. The tables are not created with clustered indexes, or any other index. The tables are used like a temp table. There created with a random/unique name that changes every time the application runs. That prevents me from pre-creating the tables.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. SQL Azure Password containing < and > symbols

SQL Azure password Change/Submit has problems processing some passwords contained in less than(<) and greater than(>) symbols (ie <qwerty123>). The problem error appears to only occur when numbers come after letters, or before the initial less than(<) though.

A few examples...
    Error:
    <qwerty123>
    <q1w2e3r4t5y6>
    <q1w2e3r4t5y>
    <123q456>
    <q123456>
    <q1werty>
    <qwert1y>
    <qwerty>1
    1<qwerty>
    <1><qwerty>
    <qwerty><1>

No Error:
    <123qwerty>
    qwerty<1>
    <1>qwerty

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 2

<=-=Nov 11 2009 11:46AM=-=>

IIS provides this level of security because it looks for what may look like a script attack. The pattern is what you are providing, that is throwing the catch.

This is by design – we will likely update the password requirements note to define this for you.

11. Problems connecting to SQL Azure through proxy

We are using the Sidewinder product and it has been configured so we can connect though a proxy and port that will get you forwarded to our Azure server on port 1433. We created an Alias that uses our proxy name and port number but are getting timeout errors when we try to connect from SSMS and from sqlcmd. Does connecting to SQL Azure through a proxy supported? If yes, do you have instructions on configuring or connecting? I've attached snapshots and errors.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Granular access required at Portal

It is my understanding that only one WIndows LiveID may access the Portal that is set up for a customer. This is a single point of failure for managing servers so we had to create a generic LiveID that we can share. This is not a best practice because there is no way to track who is actually logging into the portal. When one person leaves a team, the account and password needs to be changed for security purposes - all the usual problems associated with sharing an account.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. SQL Azure TAP: Timeout issue in SSMS new query connection

When connecting to user db in SQL Azure using SSMS new query connection and leave the connection idle for sometime, then rerun a query, I'm getting this error which is ok:

Msg 10053, Level 20, State 0, Line 0
    A transport-level error has occurred when receiving results from the server. (provider: TCP Provider, error: 0 - An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine.)

But when I re-run the query again, it will restablish the connection but default the db to "master"

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. SQL Azure is Inadequate for our Needs

This is not a bug. However, you don't have a form for submitting other types of feedback and Sudhir Rawat, our Partner Techical Consultant, asked that we post the feedback here. So, I suppose that it is a bug in Microsoft Connect even if it's not a bug in SQL Azure.

Our existing ASP.Net application relies on a CLR module in the SQL Server database. The CLR module offers the following functions:

* Aggregate functions for binary AND and OR
    * XML document merging and manipulation

We use bitflags to indicate assigned permissions. A binary OR aggregate is used in…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 2

<=-=Nov 12 2009 12:00PM=-=>

Hi There,
    Thanks you for your feedback. Appreciate the great level of detail.

- SQLCLR; I understand the SQLCLR requirements and agree with you. we are looking at including SQLCLR in future but I don’t have a specific date for you today.
    - Larger DB SKU; Larger database support is loud and clear. I expect that we will expand the size beyond 10GB however for infinite size scale and elasticity, I’d recommend considering scale-out across to multiple databases. There are well known partitioning and scale-out patterns you can employ and I am happy to help with that discussion any time.
    - Supportability Tools: Supportability is also something we are considering enabling in near future.
    - Management Tools: I expect better support to ship with SQL Server 2008 R2 very soon. I am happy to say there will be better tooling support very…

15. TEST Connect Bug IGNORE

this is a revised test

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. another test

another test

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. 0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. this is my handle!

this is my spout!

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. 0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. this is a test2

Lorem Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base