SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server 2017 powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server 2017 brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. ipoint.exe causeses Blue Screen when edit table in SQL 2008 Management Studio

Edit Table causes blue screen in SQL 2008 Management Studio when ipoint.exe is running.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 1

<=-=Feb 13 2009 10:38AM=-=>

Dear customer,

Thank you for reporting this problem. To help us reproduce this problem, please revert back with the mouse type and the IntelliPoint driver version number. Currently we are unable to reproduce this issue with IntelliPoint driver 6.2 installed on the system where SSMS 2008 Designer was launched.

Thanks,
    -Karthik

<=-=May 27 2009 8:31AM=-=>

Intellipoint driver 6.31.230.0. Also installed and running is the Synaptics ThinkPad UltraNav Pointing Device driver version 11.1.21.2. Computer is a Thinkpad T61. Same issue as reported here. Edit Top 200 Rows = BSOD

<=-=Jun 3 2011 12:13PM=-=>

Hi,

Thanks for writing in to Microsoft.

There’s another report of a similar issue with IntelliPoint. Given this, I am resolving this one as a duplicate. We will track the issue using the other bug.

Thank you for your valuable feedback.
    Prachi

2. XML format file causes bulk insert of wrong data into NOT NULL column

BULK INSERT into a table with a NOT NULL column behaves very badly when an XML format file is used and there are missing or all-whitespace data values in the source file. No error is raised and incorrect data values are inserted into the table. (Specifically, when there is missing, whitespace, or otherwise invalid data, the NOT NULL column repeatedly receives the last non-null value of the column.

If a non-XML format file is used, the behavior is not bad.

This bug is similar to Connect item 405579, however the problem is not as localized as that bug report suggest.…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. MDW Report "Disk usage for database" has incorrect value under the "Disk Space Used by Data Files" section

The Management Data Warehouse report "Disk usage for database" shows an invalid value under the "Disk Space Used by Data Files" section. It either shows the literal value "MB MB" or "GB GB" under the "Space Used" column - instead of showing an actual space used value.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Error scriping procedure when there are nested comments before CREATE PROCEDURE

If you try to script a stored procedure where CREATE PROCEDURE is preceded by a comment
    that contains nested / /, you get an error message, "Syntax error in TextHeader of StoredProcedure ".

I saw that this was reported in
    https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=178866
    as well, but it was said to have been fixed in SQL 2008, but this does not seem to be
    the case.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 3

<=-=Feb 26 2009 4:28AM=-=>

Hi,

Thanks for reporting the issue.
    The issue was fixed but the fix got reverted due to performance issues before RTM.
    We will fix this in next release.

Regards,
    Alok

<=-=Jun 27 2011 4:35AM=-=>

Hi Erland,

We took a look at this bug along with several others recently. Unfortunately, triaging it against other critical bugs, I do not think we would get to investigating this in the near future. However, we have taken note of this internally, and when we revisit this functionality in the future, we will try and get this resolved.

You could use many other symbols (quotes, paranthesis, etc.) to demarcate a portion of the comment you want to have nested. For example, you could do:

/* My comment including “nested comment” and blah /
    OR
    /
    My comment including (nested comment) and blah /
    OR
    /
    My comment including…

5. ACCESS_VIOLATION crash when using FOR BROWSE on a synonym for a remote object

Retrieving a browse mode cursor through use of the FOR BROWSE clause in a SELECT statement (or executing a SELECT when SET NO_BROWSETABLE ON is in effect) does not work for synonyms to remote objects. When executing such a query, SQL Server produces a crash dump.

One notable user of such queries is 2005 BIDS. Using a synonym as part of a stored procedure or view in the designer results in the situation that you will be able to preview the data (when BROWSE is not used) but no columns will be created for components as
    metadata retrieval fails.

Reproduced…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Feb 23 2009 11:15AM=-=>

Hi,
    Thanks for reporting the problem. We are investigating the issue and get back to you when we reach a resolution.

Umachandar, SQL Programmability Team

<=-=Mar 24 2010 11:58AM=-=>

Hi,
    Thanks again for reporting the issue. This bug has been resolved as duplicate of another one in our system. We are looking at fixing it for the upcoming public cumulative update for SQL Server 2008.

Umachandar, SQL Programmability Team

<=-=Mar 24 2010 1:05PM=-=>

Resolved as duplicate

Umachandar

<=-=Jun 8 2011 1:34PM=-=>

a similar stack is shown at : http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqldatabaseengine/thread/af2d10db-bc56-43e7-b812-f660ba0052a8/

6. SSMS Shows incorrect restore chain

If you restore to an earlier state and continue your regular backup schedule without performing a full backup after the restore, SSMS shows an incorrect restore chain.

When I run the attached script to recreate the steps followed by the SSMS query I can see that the DatabaseBackupLsn is different. The last differential backup (performed after the Restore) points to the LSN belonging to the earlier backup.

SSMS should either show the correct Full backup (with the same LSN in the column CheckpointLsn) or not show Differential backups that do not map with the CheckpointLsn of the Full backup.

As…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. BSOD When Browsing Table in SSMS 2005 (sp3 Developer) - Similar to issue 258813

Note: I actually have XP Pro sp3.

I am getting a BSOD after I open a particular table in one particular database (only 8 rows) in SSMS, and try to browse it. The crash may occur as soon as I click on the grid displaying the table, or may take me clicking up to 4 times (to select different rows). When Windows reboots, the Windows error reporting claims it's an issue with a Dell driver (I have a Dell Precision M90, 4 GB Ram, Intel Core 2 Duo).

I am able to run DBCC CHECKDB with no errors on this…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 0

<=-=Aug 10 2011 2:57AM=-=>

Hi,

This is regarding connect item 417663. We arre not able to reproduce this issue with SQL Server 2008 Express version and are closing the item. However if do see the issue in 2008 express (or later versions) please do revert back and we will take a relook.

Thank you

Seshagiri
    PM, SSMS

8. Materialized Reference Dimension cannot be updated through Dimension ProcessUpdate

If you have a dimensions linked to a measure group through a materialized reference link and want to refresh it, the ProcessUpdate on the intermediate dimension will not update the materialized reference. Materialized references are refreshed only when the measure group is processed. Non materialized ones works just fine while materialized ones simply show bad data (old, not refreshed) if you leverage the process update on the dimensions.
    This is clear, due to the fact that the relationship is resolved through JOIN made inside the measure group processing and not during dimension processing for materialized relationships, still I think it…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 2

<=-=Feb 27 2009 11:52AM=-=>

Hi Alberto — Thank you for your feedback. We will consider your request in a future version. If you think this issue needs to be addressed immediately, please work with your Customer Support contact to resolve the issue.

9. SqlClient.SqlConnection.Close method does not release server-side resources

SqlClient.SqlConnection.Close method does not release server-side resources. When a Connection is closed, it is returned to the pool but ADO.NET does not close and does not reset the Connection until the connection is reopened. This means that any resources allocated to the connection are left in use on the server (the server state) is maintained until the next reuse or the connection times out (4-8 minutes later). This reduces performance because of resources not being freed by applications that can no longer access the server-side objects.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Mar 6 2009 1:19PM=-=>

Hello,

I just wanted to let you know this issue has been closed accidentally. I reactivated it and we will evaluate it again.

The confusion comes from the fact that the bug has been filed against SQL Server Engine, while it seems to belong to ADO.NET. Please let me know if I�m missing something here?

Thanks,
    Krzysztof Kozielczyk (Microsoft)

<=-=Mar 8 2009 4:33PM=-=>

Hello Bill

This bug describes the same issue that is described in another connect bug being tracked at http://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=383517. Thus we have resolved this bug as a duplicate. Please reactivate if we mis-interpreted this issue and they are not the same issue.

Thanks

10. SQL Server Analysis Services 2005 fails on update process

AS2005 index process fails on measure group with distinct count measure (the only measure in measure group). Error displayed: File system error: The following error occurred while opening the file '\?\D:\MSOLAP2005\PRDCZ\OLAPData\CORALPRODSK.0.db\BORADW STORE CZ 1.600.cub\Sales 1.600.det\Distinct Invoice 2008.220.prt\305.string.data'.

Processing consists of three steps: 1. dimensions update, 2. full process of current year, 3. index process of other partitions. All executed in one xmla command.

Measure group is partitioned by year and each of four partitions contains about 6MIL rows stored in roughly 1GB each. Full process works fine, problem does not occur always, but from time to time (with…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Mar 30 2009 2:09PM=-=>

Radim.
    Please contact product support to follow up on this.

The Analysis Services Team.

<=-=Nov 13 2013 9:13AM=-=>

I have the very similar error on SQL Server 2008 R2 SP2 CU7.
    We have single task to Process Update dimensions with process affected objects turned on.

11. New Query Editor Window in SSMS connected to one server, where as in tool tip text its shows connected to another server

In SSMS when there is query window connected to a server (say server A) and when a new query window is opened, by default it opens with existing connection (server A). Now when we change the connection of this query to another server (say server B). It is still connected to Server A, which can be verified by running command select @@Servername.

However tool tip on top left corner of the query editor window shows it is connected to Server B, which it is not not connected to.

This could me a major issue, because the user may assume that…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. SQL Management Studio hard-codes path to projects folder, changing My Documents location causes issue

I'm in a Active Directory domain on Win2k3. I created a policy to redirect my documents to a network drive. Used SQL Mgmt Studio, and it looks for the project folder on the network.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Apr 19 2006 5:24PM=-=>

Hi David,

Thanks for submitting this issue to us with such great repro steps. Not to mention the details of how you would like us to improve the experience. We have entered this issue into our backlog of work for the next general release of SQL Server.

All of us here, as well as your colleagues, appreciate your contribution to helping us make SQL Server even better.

Thanks again,

Terrence Nevins
    SQL Server Program Manager

<=-=Jul 17 2006 1:58PM=-=>

Hi David,

We were just looking at this bug this morning and are missing some vital information. Do you recall which registry key you needed to change?

Thanks,

Terrence

<=-=Aug 11 2006 3:06PM=-=>

Hi David,

We have checked and double-checked the behavior you have described and so far we have not been able to repro it.

One possible explanation for this behavior might be found…

13. No reference to SQL Server

No reference to SQL Server in Programs after sucessfully installing SQL Server 2005 Beat 2.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Corrupt graphics redraw in Management Studio when resizing window.

When maximising or resizing Management studio the query window and results windows do not redraw correctly.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=May 26 2006 9:40AM=-=>

Hi Dave,

Unfortunately, we were not able to reproduce this problem. Please, feel free
    to reactivate the bug if you have any additional information on the repro.

Thanks,
    Oscar Naim
    SQL Server
    Program Manager

<=-=Apr 7 2011 9:04AM=-=>

I am getting this error due to display fusion program.

15. CopyDatabaseWizard throws an exception on entering Select the Transfer Method page

Copy Database Wizard fails on entering Select the Transfer Method page with the message box (advenced view):

===

This wizard will close because it encountered the following error: (Microsoft SQL Server)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft%20SQL%20Server&ProdVer=9.00.1116&EvtSrc=Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.WizardFrameworkErrorSR&EvtID=UncaughtException&LinkId=20476

===

Object reference not set to an instance of an object. (CopyDatabaseWizard)

Program Location:

at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.CopyDatabaseWizard.ModeOfTransferPage.OnEnterPage(EventArgs e)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.WizardPage.RaiseEnterPage()
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.WizardForm.NextPage(WizardPage nextPage)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.WizardForm.Next_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. 32-bit WINRNR.DLL 5.23790.1830 corrupts heap and stack on X64

When using a DNS name in an ODBC connection string, SQLDriverConnect will fail in WINRNR.DLL (5.23790.1830, srv03sp1rtm.050324-1447) with an invalid tag error while validating the heap. When using a TCP/IP address, the connection succeeds.

This really isn't a SQL server bug but there's not a product category for Win64, SQL Server was the closest.

I've attached the C++ code to demonstrate the bug. It was compiled with VS2005 TFS.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Dec 7 2005 6:36PM=-=>

Built and tried out the code against x86 mdac and snac drivers on x64 machine and the issue does not repro.

My understanding from reading problem description is that this is a 32bit client running on an x64 box. The error is occurring in WINRNR.DLL which is the LDAP RnR Provider DLL so the problem appears related to domain name resolution. The fact that the connection succeeds when the server�s TCP/IP address is used directly further supports this assertion.

<=-=Dec 8 2005 11:19AM=-=>

Modules:
    C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\kernel32.dll version 5.2.3790.1830
    C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\rpcrt4.dll version 5.2.3790.1830
    C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\dnsapi.dll version 5.2.3790.1830
    C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\mswsock.dll version 5.2.3790.1830
    C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\ws2_32.dll version 5.2.3790.1830
    C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\dbnetlib.dll version 2000.086.1830

Call Stack:
    kernel32.dll!RaiseException@16() + 0×4e bytes
    rpcrt4.dll!RpcpRaiseException@4() + 0×21 bytes
    rpcrt4.dll!NdrpUnionMemorySize() + 0×1be bytes
    rpcrt4.dll!NdrNonEncapsulatedUnionMemorySize@8() + 0×2b bytes
    rpcrt4.dll!NdrComplexStructMemorySize@8() + 0×1a9 bytes
    rpcrt4.dll!

17. SQL SERVER 2005 E-LEARNING DISPLAYS Directory Listing Denied

When using the e-learning site the error "Directory Listing Denied
    This Virtual Directory does not allow contents to be listed." appears at various depths on the site.
    Active X and java are enabled.
    This does not occur with Mozilla, but the lessons will not appear using Mozilla.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=May 4 2006 1:32PM=-=>

Thanks for your feedback. Can you reply with the precise URL of the page in question, so that we can be sure that we are looking into the correct issue?

<=-=Jun 5 2006 1:32PM=-=>

We have not been able to reproduce the problem without a precise URL. Feel free to reactivate if appropriate (providing the URL so that we can better investigate).

18. SSIS (Unable to retrieve column information)

Error indicating Unable to retrieve column information when using ole db drivers.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. bug: "autostat" of an index reported by SQL Server Management Studio for 2005

SQL server management studio does not seem to display the "autostat" of an index correctly. The value in SQL server management studio is
    always the reverse of the value from "sp_autostats".

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Mar 24 2006 9:08AM=-=>

Thank you for your bug report regarding the issue with autostat – we will look into this for a future service pack.

<=-=Mar 27 2006 3:48PM=-=>

Quick update. We are placing this bug report under consideration for SP2.

<=-=Aug 10 2006 11:17AM=-=>

Thank you for your bug report regarding the autostate values being reversed. We have reproduced the problem and plan to fix this in the next major release of SQL Server. We have also requested that this behavior be recorded in a KB article.
    Thank you,
    Bill Ramos

20. Managmen Studio: Objects does not displayed in summary after error

Managment Studio.
    In Summary double click Databases, Database, Tables. When try to open table get an error.
    After error Summary does not display any objects (dbs, tables, views etc).

DB was converted from SQL2000.
    On AdventureWorks all OK.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 0

<=-=Mar 23 2006 6:44PM=-=>

Hi gmsalex

We could not repro the problem.

What does it mean "DB was converted from SQL2000?

While trying to repro we copied the Shiloh database to Yukon server by using Copy Database Wizard, and we could not repro it.

Please feel free to activate this bug, if this is consistent repro , with more detailed repro steps of how DB was converted from SQL 2000

Thanks,
    Gops Dwarak

• Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base