SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server 2017 powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server 2017 brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

Do you have a comment or suggestion to improve SQL Server? We’d love to hear it!

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add new stored procedure breaks object explorer

Created a new query but it did not show in the ojbect explorer even aafter refreshing.
    I finally closed Management Studio and now I cannot open object explorer - fatal error parsing xml (see attached). I know sproc is there, I can see it via query.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 1

<=-=May 19 2005 9:24AM=-=>

Hi Julie,
    Thank you for your bug report regarding adding stored procedure. I have several questions:
    1. Can you attach the error report that you got?
    2. When you say in step 1 of the report, Create a new query, did you do a CREATE PROCEDURE statement inside of the Query Editor, or did you start from the “New Stored Procedure” command of the Stored Procedure node in Object Explorer
    3. Did you actually Execute the query to save the stored procedure, or did you just Save the query file.
    Thank you,
    Bill Ramos

<=-=May 24 2005 2:24PM=-=>

Hi Julie,
    We still haven’t been able to reproduce this problem. If you could be more specific about the commands you executed and the types of objects you tryied to create, we could try to preproduce this later. For example, there was some confusiong over what…

2. Install Path display disappears when changing install options

After clicking "Advanced Options" under the SQL 2005 install, and then changing the options to include all DTS runtime and no Books online, the Install path display disappears (no longer showing what directory it will be installed to), in addition the button that allows me to change this path also becomes inactive.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. SSIS Expression Language fails to evaluate a DATE function after installing SQL 2005 SP1

I have a Data Flow which includes a Derived Column task. The task uses an expression to check a date value for the year 2079. It uses the YEAR() date function within the the CONDITIONAL operator. The package fails to evaluate the date function. Here is the error I am trapping:

An error occurred while evaluating the function.

The "component "Update Max Date Value to NULL" (346)" failed because error code 0xC0049067 occurred, and the error row disposition on "input column "WeekEndingDate" (455)" specifies failure on error. An error occurred on the specified object of the specified component.

The ProcessInput…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=May 5 2006 11:24AM=-=>

I am unable to reproduce this. Could you perhaps hook up the error output of the derived column and redirect error rows, and then see what value(s) of LastWorkedDate it’s failing on?
    Thanks!

<=-=May 22 2006 4:20PM=-=>

Hello
    We tried but couldn’t repro this with the existing info. Pls reactivate if it still reproduces for you and let us know some more details then (pls refer to Microsoft Comments above). Thanks!

4. Problem with sys.sql_modules catalog view.

When you access this view to look at the definition of an object that is greater than 8000 characters, it appears to only return the 8000 characters stored in the row itself. The field is listed as nvarchar(max).

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 2

<=-=Dec 9 2005 7:03AM=-=>

I have determined that the problem dealt with a limitation of the SQL Query Editor. The editor will only display a maximum of 8192 characters in text mode. I used BCP to get my object script out of the database in its entirety.

<=-=Jan 10 2006 12:28PM=-=>

We do have the limitation of 8k for text results, and 64k for grid results. But the users can work around this by editing the trigger from the context menu and the trigger text will get displayed in a query window.

<=-=Oct 15 2007 1:32PM=-=>

There are duplicates on the same issue and we will track and address it with Connect ID 126437.

Thanks,
    -Eric

5. SQL Server 2005 JDBC Driver Beta 2 - executeBatch() does not work on PreparedStatement / Statement

calling executeBatch() respective executeBatch(String sql) does not work on a PreparedStatement / Statement. There is no exception but no records will be stored in the database.
    The code worked with the previous JDBC driver of SQL Server 2000 on a SQL Server 2000 database.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Dec 1 2005 11:56AM=-=>

I cant repro this bug with the b2 drop or the latest drops. Can you provide more info?

<=-=Dec 7 2005 11:56AM=-=>

I cant repro this bug with the b2 drop or the latest drops. Can you provide more info? you email me directly to microsoft.com email alias mugunm

6. Surface Area Config dialog (and sub dialogs) text exceeds window space

The text in both the SQL Server 2005 Surface Area Configuration dialog, and sub dialogs such as the Features, runs past its allotted space. In the case of the main dialog, the line after the three bullets cuts off just above center and is unreadable (no scroll bars, non-selectable text). In the case of the Features dialog, only the "Dedicated Administrator" description text runs off the right side of the window (the other descriptions wrap correctly). In the case of the Services and Connections dialog, the last word (linked "Configuration") is wrapped and cut in half (only the top half…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. moving msdb prohibits WMI alerts from being created

Cannot create WMI alerts after moving msdb.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 2

<=-=Apr 17 2006 3:08PM=-=>

Hi Micahfox ,

In general, sp_detach_db and sp_attach_db is NOT recommended way to move a system database.

Our test team validated this scenario by using the recommended way to move database (see topic �Moving Database Files� in BOL) and it works fine.

There was no problem with sp_add_alert once msdb was moved.

The steps followed 1. determine the logical name of the database and current location of physical files

SELECT name AS [logical name], physical_name AS [location]

FROM sys.master_files

WHERE database_id = DB_ID(‘msdb’)

2. change the location of each file from the step 1

ALTER DATABASE msdb

MODIFY FILE (NAME = , FILENAME = )

USE master;

GO

ALTER DATABASE msdb

MODIFY FILE (NAME = MSDBData, FILENAME = ‘C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\msdbdata.mdf’);

GO

ALTER DATABASE msdb

MODIFY FILE (NAME = MSDBLog, FILENAME = ‘C:\Program…

8. Exception when refreshing Object Browser

When refreshing the Object Browser the following exceptions occures:
    System.ArgumentException: Item has already been added. Key in dictionary: '(Icon)' Key being added: '(Icon)'
    at System.Collections.Hashtable.Insert(Object key, Object nvalue, Boolean add)
    at System.Collections.Hashtable.Add(Object key, Object value)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.ObjectExplorer.LazyTreeView.AddIconToImageMap(TreeNode node)

see full log in the attachment.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. New Job window doesn't let you enter space

When creating a schedule for a new backup job, Management Studio doesn't let you to enter a space into the job name and the schedule name textboxes.

When you press space the cursor jumps back to the first position.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Reporting Services preview pane

When you make a report with parameters the preview has issues. After pressing view report, after the report is rendered if you click on the report itself it sometimes refreshes the report or a GDI+ error appears. You need to reopen the report. This is a very common issue, Ive done over 200 reports from basic to very advanced with this issue appearing in 99% of them.

Even after clicking on print preview some things like tables arent aligned to a rectangle as they would when printed out in PDF. Its not that common but it does happen.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Mgmt Studio: File Extensions: Adding new Query Editor extension results in unrecognized original file

This was initially written about in the microsoft.public.sqlserver.tools newsgroup on 2/17/2006 at 1:04 PM under the title "SQL 2005 Management Studio: File Extension: Adding: How to?"

I'm working with GA Management Studio on Windows XP SP2.

I have a file with a UDF file extension (user-defined function). When I open
    the file in Management Studio, I cannot execute the file.

I'm going to Tools-Options, Text Editor, File Extensions. I then add the UDF
    extension with the SQL Query Editor Editing Experience. Click OK, etc. When
    I do so, nothing happens. Restarting Management Studio has no effect. I
    can't execute the…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 0

<=-=Feb 21 2006 5:32PM=-=>

Thanks for the feedback and we will address this in future release

<=-=Apr 24 2006 10:28AM=-=>

We attempted to reproduce the bug you reported but were not able to do so. Following your steps to reproduce yielded the expected results – the second file with the custom extension was recognized as a SQL Query Editor file. Opening the file prompted us for a connection and allowed us to execute the script. If you are still hit this bug please re-activate this bug with the updated steps to reproduce the problem.

12. TOP clause does not work with OPENQUERY()

A select statement with a top clause selecting from an openquery returns all rows instead of the number declared by the top clause.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. SQL Server 2005 IDE Error - Framework 2.0

When I am trying to browse the Database objects, if I select an item on the tree to the left and then click the summary page, I get an error about a .NET Framework issue. At that point, I have to shut down the IDE and come back in or I won't be able to see a list of items based on my selection from the object tree.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Summery window "lost" data

The summery window cleaned itself after delete (when I choose from it more then one object to delete). It show the object count, but no data is shown.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Sep 27 2005 3:00PM=-=>

Thank you for your bug report. Given the steps that you indicated in the report, we are unable to reproduce the problem. If you have more detailed steps that can help us reproduce the problem, please reactivate this report.

15. Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Express raises errors on inline comments.

Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Express raises errors on inline comments on lines like:

CREATE PROCEDURE SampleStoredProcedure
    P1 int, -- Param 1
    P2 int -- Param 2

AS

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=May 27 2006 1:25PM=-=>

This code worked for me:

CREATE PROCEDURE SampleStoredProcedure
    @P1 int, — Param 1
    @P2 int — Param 2

AS

SELECT P1 = @P1, P2 = @P2
    go
    EXEC SampleStoredProcedure 47, 11
    go
    DROP PROCEDURE SampleStoredProcedure

Could you supplement the bug report with a complete repro that demonstrates the problem?

<=-=May 30 2006 2:44PM=-=>

Hi Andy,
    Thank you for your feedback. We are unable to reproduce this in build 09.00.2047 – the SSMSE RTM build that we shipped with SP1.
    Thanks,
    Ramesh Singh

16. Report designer hangs on preview tab with Delay Notification window

When attempting to preview a RDL file in the Visual Studio 2005 Report Designer for SQL Server 2005 Beta 2, the IDE hangs with a "Delay Notication" box appearing. The box goes away and reappears without any resolution. Terminating the devenv.exe process is the only solution.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. OLE DB Connection without DSN

When writing a connection with a DSN using OLE DB provider a client is unable to locate SQL Server 2005 with a DBnetlib.dll error.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Dec 29 2005 8:08AM=-=>

To clarify the above statement: a connection without a DSN does not work, creating a DSN will work, and then once the DSN is deleted new connections continue to work even after client re-boots.

<=-=Jan 4 2006 6:44AM=-=>

Here is an added error message that I’m wondering how to repair. On an Active Directory authenticated network I make a remote connection to xasid9546\ia_team using the SA account in Management Studio and receive this error: Cannot connect to xasid9546\ia_team additional info: a connection was successfully established with the server, but then an error occurred during the login process. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 0 – No process is on the other end of the pipe.) (MS SQL Server, Error: 233)

However, I am able to connect to xasid9546\ia_team using Windows Authentication.

<=-=Jan 4 2006 11:30AM=-=>

There is a fix to one error “0 – No…

18. splash.hta not found

Autorun cannot run splash.hta file when the DVD is inserted.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. SSIS Data Mining Query Task: Prediction Join "erased"

After a given user creates a Data Mining Query Task in SSIS and saves the package or project, when another user opens the package or project, the contents of the "Query" tab in the Data Mining Query Task (the prediction join) is erased.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jun 27 2008 7:03PM=-=>

Hello Paul.

Thank you a lot for reporting the problem to us.

Unfortunately it is too late for the current release of Analysis Services to take any action on this matter.
    We are going to take a look at this in the next release.

Thanks.
    The Analysis Services Team.

20. Management Studio DMX Query crash

When trying to execute an DMX Query within Management Studio 2008 RC0, I get an error is produced:

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jul 25 2008 12:33PM=-=>

Lachender.

Thank you for reporting this problem to us.
    Unfortunately it is very hard to say just based on the information in this case on what is happening with the SQL Management studio. Or whether the problem is with Analysis Services.
    To troubleshot some more we suggest you try and run SQL Server Profiler against Analysis Server.
    See if you get any server errors as responce to your query.

The Analysis Services Team.

• Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Feedback and Knowledge Base