SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. SQL Server 2017 MERGE statement assertion error when database is in simple recovery model.

This appears to be identical to an earlier issue with MERGE statements in SQL Server 2014 and 2016, and to feedback closed for SQL Server 2016:

https://feedback.azure.com/forums/908035-sql-server/suggestions/32901826-sql-server-2016-merge-statement-fails-when-runni

When running a MERGE statement against a data warehouse database in simple recovery model, we receive the following fatal error: SQL Server Assertion: File: <pageref.cpp>, line=1496 Failed Assertion = 'ISOFF (BUFMINLOGGED, mbuf->bstat) || pageModifyType != PageModifyTypeContents || GetPagePtr ()->IsTextPage ()'.

We are running SQL Server 2017 Standard Edition with CU6 (14.0.3025.34).

A workaround for the assertion error is to set trace flag 692 which disables fast load.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

6 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 'Windows API call "RegGetValueW"' error when displaying version in SQLLocalDB Utility 2016 and newer

When using the "v" switch for the SQLLOCALDB command-line utility, it can only display versions 2012 and 2014. Starting with SQL Server 2016, the utility can no longer display installed versions of SQL Server Express LocalDB.

In a command prompt, if I run the following:

C:&gt;sqllocaldb v

It returns the following (and I have versions 2012, 2014, 2016, and 2017 installed, running on Windows 10 Home Edition):

Microsoft SQL Server 2012 (11.0.7462.6)
    Microsoft SQL Server 2014 (12.0.5214.6)
    Windows API call "RegGetValueW" returned error code: 0.

The SQL Server 2017 version of SQLLOCALDB.EXE is being used, as indicated by the first…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  4 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. SSMS Crash Faulting module name ucrtbase.dll Exception code 0xc0000409

I also have a memory dump if necessary.

Faulting application name: Ssms.exe, version: 2017.140.17199.0, time stamp: 0x59d44f4f
    Faulting module name: ucrtbase.dll, version: 10.0.14393.1770, time stamp: 0x59bf2b5a
    Exception code: 0xc0000409
    Fault offset: 0x000891cb
    Faulting process id: 0x263c
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d39909f6e1ea59
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\140\Tools\Binn\ManagementStudio\Ssms.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\ucrtbase.dll
    Report Id: 07a53298-3a3f-4a67-97f7-5a15f1dd1cb1
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I’m not able to repro this issue in both SSMS 18.0 (current development bits) and SSMS 17.9.1.

I tried to follow the repro outlined by @Mattias’ below. My steps:
    1) Install SSDT 15.8.2
    2) Create simple SSIS package and converted to Package Deployment Model
    3) Added simple “Send Mail” Task (minimal info, but enough to try to connect and send e/mail)
    4) Rebuild and generated .dtsx file
    5) Open SSMS, navigate to SSISDB node
    6) Create new folder F1
    7) Right clicked on Projects and selected “Import Packages…”
    8) Pointed the wizard to the .dtsx file and let it do the conversion (.dtsx → .ispac)
    9) Then, I continued the wizard do to the deployment
    10) No crashes observed: I was even able to run the package.

Could you review my steps and see if I’m doing anything differently? FWIW, my server was SQL2017 (latest CU).

4. Support compression on TDE enabled database transaction log backup from log shipping.

With SQL 2016, it becomes possible to compress TDE enabled database backup using explicit option of MAXTRANSFERSIZE if it is greater than default 64K.

However for log shipping, it seems impossible to compress LS generated transaction log backup if database is TDE encrypted. This is because the system stored procedure spaddlogshippingprimary_database does not offer parameter @maxtransfersize, therefore compression is not kicked in.

Is this a bug or by design? Will it be fixed in future release?

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Microsoft.SqlServer.Types - Unable to find an entry point named 'SetClrFeatureSwitchMap' in DLL 'SqlServerSpatial110.dll'.

When trying the use EntityFramework to save changes to an Entity with a Geo-Spatial datatype I get this error.

Unable to find an entry point named 'SetClrFeatureSwitchMap' in DLL 'SqlServerSpatial110.dll'.
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Types.GLNativeMethods.SetClrFeatureSwitchMap(Int32 clrFeatureSwitchMap)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Types.SqlGeometry.IsValidExpensive()
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Types.SqlGeometry..ctor(GeoData g, Int32 srid)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Types.SqlGeometry.Construct(GeoData g, Int32 srid)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Types.SqlGeometry.GeometryFromText(OpenGisType type, SqlChars text, Int32 srid)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Types.SqlGeometry.STGeomFromText(SqlChars geometryTaggedText, Int32 srid)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Types.SqlGeometry.Parse(SqlString s)

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 53

<=-=Jan 14 2016 2:35AM=-=>

I think this is caused by new dlls from SQL Server 2012 SP3. One system with Microsoft.SqlServer.Types.dll file version 2011.110.5058.0 works, another with 2011.110.2011.60 breaks with this error.

<=-=Jan 14 2016 4:36AM=-=>

Cause tracked down to version Microsoft.SqlServer.Types.dll v11.0.0 (file version: 2011.110.2011.60 ) which comes as part of MS SQL Server 2012 SP3.
    SP2 is fine and has Microsoft.SqlServer.Types.dll v11.0.0 (file version: 2011.110.5058.0 ) so I removed SP3 from my system but it was still in my GAC (check C:\Windows\assembly and look at properties of the file)
    so had to do the below to overwrite it. That solved it for me.

>gacutil /i “path_to_the_older_nonbroken_version_of_\Microsoft.SqlServer.Types.dll” /f

<=-=Jan 14 2016 5:31AM=-=>

I think I may have got the version of the SP3 dll wrong, it was 11.0.6020.0

<=-=Jan 14 2016 6:15AM=-=>

Sorry confused myself. Version which is broken for me is Microsoft.SqlServer.Types.dll File version = 2011.110.6020,…

6. Cannot join database to AG using GUI if replica SQL Instance is not running on default port 1433

I am running a cluster of 2 nodes where the SQL service is not running on the default port 1433. When I try to add a database to the AG using GUI I get stuck at �Connect to Existing Secondary Replicas� window. I click on Connect but the �Connect to Server� login form has the server name with no port specified and I cannot modify it as it is grayed out.

Similar issue when the replica has multiple IPs and you specify the SQL instance to listen to a certain IP. When connecting to existing Secondary replicas you might get…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Visual Studio SQL Server Project Create Certificate

CREATE CERTIFICATE [MyCert]

FROM BINARY = 0x1234....

WITH PRIVATE KEY (BINARY = 0x1234..., DECRYPTION BY PASSWORD='Pass1',ENCRYPTION BY PASSWORD='Pass2');

I get the following Visual Studio compiler error : SQL46005: Expected EXECUTABLE but encountered BINARY instead.

This syntax works on SQL 2012 and I have the database project targeting the correct version.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 3

<=-=Dec 28 2016 7:28PM=-=>

Thank you for submitting this feedback. We have reproduced the behavior for certificate objects that you’ve described and are now investigating the appropriate resolution. We will update this Connect item as additional information is available.

Thanks again!
    Steven Green
    SQL Server tools team

<=-=Feb 21 2017 12:04PM=-=>

I have this issue as well. It makes creating a homogenous test environment amongst our development team more difficult.

<=-=Feb 21 2017 12:09PM=-=>

Ref: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/04dd415c-047e-421d-97fe-038328b54a9a/create-certificate-from-binary?forum=ssdt

8. sys.dm_exec_sql_text.dbid is not always populated

Books Online says about this column.

"ID of database.

For ad hoc and prepared SQL statements, the ID of the database where the statements were compiled."

However, it seems that dbid is NULL when the text is not from a stored procedure. This bug should be fixed, as the current state makes it very difficult to answer questions like "which are the 5 most expensive queries in this database".

Surely, it is not the documentation that is wrong, is it?

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. RING_BUFFER_SECURITY_ERROR - extended events

In the extended events, this error is happens constantly. I've searched the web with no luck in determining the cause of these RINGBUFFERSECURITY_ERROR errors. It's in versions 2008 R2, 2012 and 2014. Any help in determining the cause of this would be appreciated.

other details" Error code: 0x139F NLShimImpersonate ImpersonateSecurityContext

you can use this query to list the errors out:

SELECT CONVERT (varchar(30), GETDATE(), 121) as runtime,
    dateadd (ms, (a.[Record Time] - sys.msticks), GETDATE()) as [NotificationTime],
    a.* , sys.msticks AS [Current Time]
    FROM
    (SELECT
    x.value('(//Record/Error/ErrorCode)[1]', 'varchar(30)') AS [ErrorCode],
    x.value('(//Record/Error/CallingAPIName)[1]', 'varchar(255)') AS [CallingAPIName],
    x.value('(//Record/Error/APIName)[1]', 'varchar(255)') AS

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 7

<=-=Jun 20 2016 1:47AM=-=>

I can see similar issue on SQL Server 2014 – (12.0.2000.8) and I would be more than happy to know what’s the reason of ring buffer flooding by this event.

<=-=Sep 22 2017 2:47AM=-=>

I’m seeing this on SQL Server 2016 SP1 CU4

10. fn_hadr_backup_is_preferred_replica fails for Cluster Type = "NONE" Availability Groups

The function fnhadrbackupispreferred_replica fails when executed for a database that is a member of a clusterless Availability Group. As this function is used by Maintenance Plans to determine replica preference, it is not possible in RC2 to use maintenance plans that do not ignore backup preferences.

Can reproduce on SQL Server 14.0.900 with SSMS 17.2 and 17.3.

For example, if wideworldimporters is a member of an Availability Group with Cluster Type = "NONE":

SELECT [master].sys.fnhadrbackupispreferred_replica('wideworldimporters');

Msg 41005, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
    Failed to obtain the Windows Server Failover Clustering (WSFC)…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 3

<=-=Oct 4 2017 8:49PM=-=>

Confirmed this is present in 14.0.1000.169

<=-=Oct 31 2017 1:55AM=-=>

The problem still continues with CU1,
    When I run the query “SELECT [master].sys.fn_hadr_backup_is_preferred_replica(‘dbname’)” it throws the exception “Could not process the operation. Always On Availability Groups does not have permissions to access the Windows Server Failover Clustering (WSFC) cluster. Disable and re-enable Always On Availability Groups by using the SQL Server Configuration Manager. Then, restart the SQL Server service, and retry the currently operation. For information about how to enable and disable Always On Availability Groups, see SQL Server Books Online.”.
    There is no cluster, this is clusterless topology.

11. SQL Server Utility Explorer missing from SSMS v17.0

SQL Server Utility Explorer missing from SQL Server Management Studio v 17.0.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. SSMS 17.2 query window freezing

Writing complex queries with databases containing a large number of objects causes SSMS to hang.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 4

<=-=Aug 22 2017 11:30AM=-=>

Probably the same underlining issue, reported here:
    https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/3035441/ssms-2016-freezes-locks-for-minutes-when-large-sql-code-block-is-commented-out
    https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/Feedback/Details/776332
    I even created a video for Microsoft to see it, how it freezes and how CPU usage is high when it freezes, providing database, code and steps to reproduce and inviting them to collaborate with me to duplicate it, if they want, but to no avail. According to Microsoft, Jason, it is all just your imagination! :)

<=-=Aug 22 2017 11:53AM=-=>

I have had several co-workers try to reproduce the problem, it seems that older versions do not manifest this problem. I believe this bug was introduced recently.

<=-=Aug 22 2017 12:02PM=-=>

I have a dozen of databases (copies of each other, dev, test and so on) and they have approx. 8500 custom objects and when large code block gets commented and certain threshold is reached, my SSMS freezes for several minutes…so frustrating, and I…

13. SSMS don't show normal 'tables' context menu for Temporal Tables

When right-click in temporal tables on SSMS, the context menu for tables (with Select 1000 top lines, ...) don't show.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. SQL Server 2016 SP1 CU1. Internal Query Processor Error: The query processor could not obtain access to a required interface.

When i try to use partitioning function in a join's redicates over a columnstore table a get the error:

Msg 8601, Level 17, State 46, Line 28
    Internal Query Processor Error: The query processor could not obtain access to a required interface.

The bug can be reproduced at least on

Microsoft SQL Server 2016 (SP1-CU1) (KB3208177) - 13.0.4411.0 (X64)   Jan  6 2017 14:24:37   

Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation
    Developer Edition (64-bit) on Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard 6.3 &lt;X64&gt; (Build 9600: )

You can reproduce the behaviour. Just use the script from "Steps to Reproduce".

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. CDC capture job stops after a while in SQL 2017

I created a new simple database with one table in SQL 2017 (NOTE! An upgraded one from 2014). After a while and doing some CRUDs the capture job fails and stops. Here are details :

Table definition :

CREATE TABLE [dbo].[Table_1](

[Id] [INT] NOT NULL,

[name] [NVARCHAR](1000) NULL,
    [image] [VARBINARY](MAX) NULL,

CONSTRAINT [PKTable1] PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED
    (

[Id] ASC

)WITH (PADINDEX = OFF, STATISTICSNORECOMPUTE = OFF, IGNOREDUPKEY = OFF, ALLOWROWLOCKS = ON, ALLOWPAGELOCKS = ON) ON [PRIMARY]
    ) ON [PRIMARY] TEXTIMAGE_ON [PRIMARY]
    GO

Job Error (after 10 retries)

Date 12/27/2017…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. msodbcsql on Linux does not work with CP932

Latest version 17.5.2.1 of msodbcsql on Linux does not work with CP932.
    It worked with 17.4.1.1 before upgraded to 17.5.2.1

We want to use the latest version of the driver, but Japanese charctors corruption is one of the big blokking issue to keep update.
    If this issue can't be fix, we can't upgrade anymore. It means we can't use new feature and fix, also supportability issue also happen because of old version in the future.
    That's why we really urge to have a chance to verify if the charactors also work before the relase new version.
    Here is the detail…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Cannot use external editor with SQLCMD

SQLCMD returns the error below when the ED command is run to launch an external editor. Repro steps from a Windows command prompt below:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>sqlcmd -?
    Microsoft (R) SQL Server Command Line Tool
    Version 14.0.3026.27 NT
    Copyright (C) 2017 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>SET SQLCMDEDITOR=notepad.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32>sqlcmd
    1> ED
    Sqlcmd: Error: Internal error at ExecProcess (Reason: The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect).
    2>

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. SSMS, table designer, no intellisense on dataType

When creating a new table using the graphical designer, I used to be able to be able to type letters and it would select the datatype that matches the closest (effectively dropping me down to the listItem). Additionally, after I name a column and I press the tab key to get to the dataType column, an audio alert is triggered as if the tab key created some error.

This behavior started happening in 18.3.1, I have rolled back to 18.2 to get the desired behavior.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Unable to deply Tabular model in 1500 compatibilty, but in 1400 works

I can't deploy my model to SSAS 2019 RTM in compatibility level 1500. If I change to 1400, I can deploy it without problems to the very same instance of SSAS 2019.

Error is from events log: The description for Event ID 22 from source MSOLAP$TABULAR cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Can't create DACPAC of a SQL Server 2019 DB with External ODBC Datasources

when trying to extract a DACPAC for a SQL Server 2019 database with external datasources that use the new ODBC functionality in Polybase you get the following error (this happens both in Visual Studio 2019 and SSMS 18.3.1):

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio

Could not extract package from specified database.
    Error 0: An error occurred while attempting to reverse engineer elements of type Microsoft.Data.Tools.Schema.Sql.SchemaModel.SqlExternalDataSource: Unsupported external data source type '6'.
    (Microsoft.SqlServer.Dac)

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Unsupported external data source type '6'. (Microsoft.Data.Tools.Schema.Sql)

BUTTONS:

OK

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories