SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server 2017 powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server 2017 brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

Do you have a comment or suggestion to improve SQL Server? We’d love to hear it!

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Correctly escape predefined entities in deadlock XML

If you create a table that has &, ", <, or > in the name, it's not correctly escaped in all instances of deadlock XML.

This causes an error when trying to convert extended event/system health data to valid XML for analysis.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_XML_and_HTML_character_entity_references

85 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • SSIS Script tasks losing code

I have a very strange issue happening that is causing Script Task code to clear out. I have been able to test on 2-3 different machines. We are running SSDT 15.4 preview. The steps to reproduce were as follows.

1. Create a script task inside of a foreach loop container. 2. Create a comment in the script task. 3. Change or add a variable mapping in the foreach. 4. Save package. 5. Open the script task and the comment will have vanished.

As my last attempt for success,I have upgraded to 15.5.1 and the problem still exists.

62 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  16 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Script Tasks losing code in SSDT 17.1 for Visual Studio 2015

I have an SSIS 2016 package with a number of For Each ADO Loops, each with a single script task, which are usually working fine.

However, every so often, a script task will suddenly 'forget' all the code within it. I'm presented with an empty task editor which has reset to C# (if using VB), and lost the ReadOnlyVariable names.
        If I click Edit Script, I get a brand new script created in the editor. This can occur intermittently on reopening the package, or after editing _a different_ script task.

The same thing also occurs with both VB and C#…

55 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

22 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 47

<=-=Jun 26 2017 1:02AM=-=>

I have had the exact same issue, intermittently whenever I open script tasks all my code seems to have vanished and all the “ReadOnlyVaraiables” and “ReadWriteVariables” have also disappeared. It happens for c# and VB script tasks. This is is extremely frustrating and is impossible to develop a project when code randomly keeps disappearing. I’m wondering if this is a bug with Visual Studio 14.0.23107.0 D14REL. Can anyone at Microsoft shed some light on this please?

<=-=Jun 29 2017 10:45PM=-=>

Got the same problem. Seems like the Script Task is cleared when the project/Visual Studio i closed/shut down.

<=-=Jul 18 2017 5:38PM=-=>

Same problem for me, too. Once the original code in Script Task was still present after reloading the solution. But after that they are gone, along with ReadOnly/ReadWriteVariables and ConnectionManagers. I’m using SSDT 14.0.61705.170 (which just came out) with VS 14.0.25431.01 update…

• 50 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  5 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Replication and Availability Groups with per database DTC support

In SQL Server 2017, when using Availability Groups with Per-Database DTC Support enabled, you are unable to configure replication.

The error received is:
            Msg 3933, Level 16, State 1
            Cannot promote the transaction to a distributed transaction because there is an active save point in this transaction.

By design, per db DTC support does not allow save points. However, Replication system stored procedures make extensive use of save points. As a result, this creates a conflict where you cannot have a database in an AG with both Replication and per DB DTC support.

As a workaround, you must disable per…

48 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  4 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Dark Theme

Dark theme for SQL Server 2017 SSMS is missing.

47 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Visual Studio 2017 SSDT adds hardcoded master.dacpac include

Visual Studio 2017 seems to add a hardcoded path to the master.dacpac if I include it in a project of mine. Older versions of the SSDT used the $(DacPacRootPath) variable to get the master.dacpac.

This is really annoying as it breaks the builds on our build server where the master.dacpac is installed in a different folder than on my development machine.

34 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • SMO Enumerations slow with hundreds of databases

SMO Enumeration is notoriously slow, especially if a SQL Server contains hundreds or thousands of databases. This is impacting our project and we have to get around it by creating new objects that are populated by T-SQL.

I know this is a known issue. Can it be revisited?

32 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • SQL Server 2017 Minimal Logging Not Behaving As Documented

According to my interpretation of the docs (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/sql/sql-server-2008/dd425070(v=sql.100)) the following scenarios should minimally log...

Recovery model must be Simple or Bulk Logged
                    Table must be either
                    A heap and insert done with TABLOCK
                    A heap + nonclustered index with TABLOCK and either trace flag 610 or SQL Server 2016+
                    A clustered index with no data and TABLOCK
                    A clustered index with no data and either trace flag 610 or SQL Server 2016+
                    A clustered index with data and trace flag 610 or SQL Server 2016+
                    A clustered index with nonclustered indexes and TABLOCK and trace flag 610 or…

30 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • OPENROWSET T-SQL and MOLAP provider fail on complex DAX statements

Running the OpenRowSet (SQL2016) against a SSAS 2017 on-premise or Azure SSAS will fail with error

OLE DB provider "MSOLAP" for linked server "(null)" returned message "OLE DB error: OLE DB or ODBC error: An unexpected exception occurred.."

T-SQL Statement:

SELECT *
                      FROM OpenRowset('MSOLAP','DATASOURCE=<Servername>;Initial Catalog=<cube>;User ID=<userid>;Password=<password>’,
                      '<DAX STATEMENT>’)

Running the DAX directly against SSAS (2017) returns the correct results, also the OpenRowSet command works fine in SSAS 2016 using the same DAX statement.

Bug maybe due to the properties differences in the OpenRowSet implementation rather than the MOLAP provider (these are the XML properties included in the MDX query to…

30 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • "Edit Query Text" query text doesn't match the actual query in 2017 RTM

In 2016 & prior versions, when looking at a stored procedure's execution plan, if you right-click on the plan and click Edit Query Text, you get the full text of a stored procedure. In 2017, it's clipping out parts of a stored procedure, and formatting the query differently.

30 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • SQL 2017 CU7 - using In-Memory OLTP table variable inside MSTF causes error

The code from attached file causes error as:
                          Msg 3628, Level 16, State 1, Line 39
                          The Database Engine received a floating point exception from the operating system while processing a user request. Try the transaction again. If the problem persists, contact your system administrator.

24 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

• Remove the word "Initial" in SSMS, Object Explorer, Database Properties, Files.

Right-click a database, Properties, Files. There's a column named "Initial Size (MB". The word "Initial" should be removed. It is incorrect to have that word there. What we see here is the current size. This is particularly confusing for tempdb since people tend to think that what you see here is indeed the initial size (size at startup, from sys.master_files), which is *not* correct. Again, you see the current size!

23 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

• Tempdb spill columns in sys.dm_exec_query_stats should account for batch mode operator spills

I am testing against SQL Server 2017 RTM-CU4. As far as I can tell, only tempdb spills associated with row mode operators are tracked in the new columns for tempdb spills in sys.dm_exec_query_stats: last_spills, total_spills, max_spills, and min_spills. Spills for batch mode operators are not included. None of the documentation that I can find mentions this as a limitation, so I assume that this is a bug.

Batch mode execution brings additional challenges around memory grant management and tempdb spills are common for the workloads that I look at. Adaptive query memory feedback is not always sufficient to resolve all…

22 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Identical symmetric keys do not work between SQL Server 2017 and other SQL Server version

hi everybody!

I believe, there is a general product issue in SQL Server 2017. The problem concerns encrypting & decrypting data using the same symmetric key on different servers.
                                I have an issue in SQL Server 2017 CU3 (version 14.0.3015.40). I need to create identical symmetric keys on two servers of different versions, as it is described in MS article:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/relational-databases/security/encryption/create-identical-symmetric-keys-on-two-servers

These steps work well within and between different versions of SQL Servers (2012, 2014, 2016), but not between SQL Server 2017 and any other server.
                                I can create identical symmetric keys on SQL Server 2012, 2014 and 2016. So…

21 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  8 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Fix the Problem of Converting Hijri Dates to Gregorian Dates

Currently Microsoft tsql function called Convert() is not able to convert the Hijri date 'yyyy-02-30' to its corresponding Gregorian Date, here are the details of this issue

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/b86b0cf6-280d-436e-ba92-ff168794c420/error-in-converting-hijri-date-to-gregorian-date?forum=sqlnetfx&prof=required

20 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• sql 2017 "cube processing task" ssis adomd client error

A SQL Server 2017 Cumulative Update (somewhere between RTM and CU5) has broken 'Cube Process Tasks' in Integration Services (SSIS). Packages that run fine on SQL 2017 RTM (containing a Cube process Task) FAIL on CU5 and also CU6 with an error related to ADOMDClientUI. The specific error reported in the SSIS log is "Process Cube:Error: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClientUI, Version=14.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91 or one of its components. The system cannot find the file specified."

19 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  16 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • SSMS 2016 does not remember added SQL Snippets folder

You can add your own snippets in SSMS bij using the Code Snippet Manager.
                                      In the Code Snippet Manager window you have the possibility to add a folder containing customer snippets by using the "Add..." button.
                                      This works fine as long as you're not closing SSMS. After restarting SSMS you have to add the folder again because it is no longer available in the snippets.

15 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Query Store SELECT Performance

Running a query against a large Query Store repository (10 GB) can be really slow if filtering on runtime stats intervals.

It looks like an index is missing on sys.query_store_runtime_stats (runtime_stats_interval_id).

15 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 3

<=-=May 27 2017 6:38AM=-=>

Thank you for taking the time to post this issue! We understand that this could be an important performance improvement.
                                          Performance tuning is of such scenarios is not a trivial task. Change of such feature as Query Store can speed up one scenario and lead to degradation in others. We�ll look more into this particular use case and see what we can do.

• VS 2017 SSDT SSIS Dark Theme fail

VS 2017 SSDT SSIS Dark Theme: Annotations and dataflow row numbers are in white text, therefore invisible.

14 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 4

<=-=Oct 12 2017 11:54AM=-=>

Agreed – it’s pretty much unusable with the dark theme. See attachment of screenshot.

<=-=Oct 12 2017 11:55AM=-=>

Apparently I can’t add an attachment so for a screenshot look here: https://i.imgur.com/X2PfTp7.png

<=-=Oct 25 2017 9:23AM=-=>

I am also getting this. I thought I was going crazy! When I was using VS 2015 my canvas color was black, so the dark theme worked. But now that I have installed windows 10 and VS 2017 fresh, and the white text on cream background is totally unreadable. Is there any way to change the canvas color?

← Previous 1 3 4 5 216 217
                                          • Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Feedback and Knowledge Base