SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server 2017 powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server 2017 brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

Do you have a comment or suggestion to improve SQL Server? We’d love to hear it!

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Ability to upgrade SQL Server Management Studio directly from About menu

I think it will be really cool to update the management studio directly from the about menu when it is open and also it for checking for new versions and notify us.

Thanks in advance

43 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

4 comments  ·  Setup + Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have a “Check for updates link” in the Tools menu today, and SSMS prompts you to upgrade when it detects a new version unless you have turned off auto-check for updates. We have no plans to further automate these updates. We are pushing more updates through WSUS for enterprise installations.

2. Add backup configuration to the setup process for SQL Server.

What I’m asking for (besides you to upvote that User Voice item) is for Microsoft, as part of SQL Server setup, to add two new screens. The first would be called “Backup”—it would offer a dire warning to the effect of:

In order to protect the data in your databases, Microsoft strongly encourages you to take backups of your data. In the event of hardware failure, data corruption, or malicious software, Microsoft support will be unable to help you recovery your data, and you will incur data loss. This box is checked by defaults to enable automatic daily backups of…

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Setup + Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Enable SQL Agent Proxies to run T-SQL Job Steps

It is not possible to run a T-SQL job step under a SQL Agent Proxy. This has an impact on how security is managed since one undesirable answer is to grant more rights than originally specified.

If the cumbersome workaround below is used, it makes the deployment of the job more complex. It is possible to run the T-SQL through Operating System or Powershell steps. Often this means deploying a script to the file system that can be run. As follows:

SQLCMD -Q"EXEC StoredProcedure" -E -S Servername
    SQLCMD -i \\someplace\script.sql -S sqlserverinstance -E

However, this approach is not symmetrical in…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Setup + Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 86

<=-=Dec 27 2010 12:13PM=-=>

Hello Russell

Thank you for proposing a new DCR for SQL Agent. We are always looking forward for the customer feedback. We will consider your proposal in one of our future releases.

Thank you
    Alex Grach

<=-=Jan 25 2011 5:04PM=-=>

This functionality seems essential. Why won’t there be a SQL Agent Proxy? In many scenarios there is a Service Account under which all things run and that service account is normally a domain account – which may or may not have permissions to run SQLCMD or Powershell etc.

<=-=Jan 25 2011 5:08PM=-=>

Besides, if we run SQLCMD and the Sproc or Query errors out, the job agent steps still are marked successful. There is not robust error handling mechanism using SQLCMD from the Job Agent

<=-=Mar 23 2011 1:23PM=-=>

Although it is possible to “simulate a proxy” by granting impersonation rights to a proxy…

4. ALTER COLUMN IDENTITY

Provide an ALTER COLUMN syntax to add or remove the IDENTITY property of a column. This will allow an IDENTITY to be changed without dropping and recreating the table.

This is not only a convenience but is actually important for some scenarios:
    1. Suppose the SELECT INTO was used to create the table. SELECT INTO is fast, but subsequently recreating the table just to setup the IDENTITY negates a lot of SELECT INTO's speed.

2. If the table is involved in replication, it is not possible to drop and recreate it.

A similar suggestion in Microsoft Connect involves the ability…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 27

<=-=Jan 28 2008 6:27PM=-=>

Hello

Thank you for your feedback. The ability to modify the identity property of an existing column will certainly benefit the scenarios you’ve described. We’ll look into ways of enabling these scenarios in a future release of SQL Server.

SQL Server Engine Team

<=-=Jan 28 2008 6:28PM=-=>

Hello

Thank you for your feedback. The ability to modify the identity property of an existing column will certainly benefit the scenarios you’ve described. We’ll look into ways of enabling these scenarios in a future release of SQL Server.

SQL Server Engine Team

<=-=Jan 1 2011 2:09PM=-=>

Any update on this? It seems pretty ridiculous that the only way of changing a column to be an identity column is either to add a new column and drop the existing one (necessitating an update to every row in the table, wasting space from the dropped column…

5. The Deployment Utility (Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Deployment.exe) should return a non-zero exit code on error

It would be extremely helpful if the Deployment Utility/Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Deployment.exe http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms162758%28v=SQL.105%29.aspx would return a non-zero exit code on error.

A little bit of background on what we're trying to do:
    We've automated the generation of the Deployment Script as a part of our build processes using MSBuild:

<Exec Command='"$(AnalysisServiceDeployTool)" Some.asdatabase /s:somelogfile.log /o:SomeOutput.xmla /d'
    WorkingDirectory='$(AnalysisServicesTemp)'/>

The Exec Task relies on the Exit Code* to determine if the task failed or not, however it appears that the Deployment Utility will not give a non-zero exit code on failure, resulting in the Exec task assuming that it was successful.

*This is not a 100%…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 14

<=-=Sep 9 2012 9:55PM=-=>

Thank you for your feedback. We will be investigating your proposed suggestion as part of the planning efforts for the next major release. If we have more questions as the planning process progresses we will get back to you

Thanks
    The Analysis Services Team

<=-=Nov 17 2012 1:33PM=-=>

This is extremely disappointing and very important. You guys know any win32 process should NEVER return 0 on failure. Please make this a priority, it is critical to continuous delivery and automated builds with tabular and multidimensional models. We currently have no way of knowing whether this step of the build was successful or not without inspecting the build log manually on every build!!!

<=-=Sep 22 2016 10:00AM=-=>

Four years later – has anything changed? That this utility simply exits without an error indication when something goes wrong is troubling.

6. Make Latin1_General_(100)_CI_AS the default collation for US English

This description is identical with:
    https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=357973

When installing SQL Server you need to select a server collation. However, Setup permits you to go with a default. This may seem convenient, but it often backlashes, because the default is unsuitable for a number of reasons.

A real-world case: I was contacted by a guy who was fearing for his job, if he could not get some speed out of his database. The query he show me was a simple lookup the PK. The problem was that the application (using Java in Websphere) worked with Unicode, but the table had varchar keys.…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 10

<=-=Aug 6 2008 10:15AM=-=>

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your ideas. As you say this one is somewhat less revolutionary than not having a default collation at all; you’re also right that the major obstacle in doing it is a back-compat. That being said the idea is still being discussed. I will keep you informed on the results of the discussion.

Thanks,
    Krzysztof Kozielczyk

<=-=Aug 6 2008 12:07PM=-=>

I would be intrigued to know, what exactly is this backwards compatibility issue about? The only I can think of is existing scripts for unattended install, but I would expect such scripts to require modifications for new versions of SQL Server anyway. Is there something I have overlooked. I would appreaciate if you could details this, either here, or via private note over email.

<=-=Mar 17 2011 11:24AM=-=>

Hello Erland,

Thank you for submitting this suggestion, but we’re trying to…

7. SSRS Report Builder does not supports custom data source extensions Organization ID: 1277145

Organization ID: 1277145
    Organization Name: SourceCode � K2.net Workflow

We have been unable to setup the required configuration to enable our data provider to work with the report builder. I see from this post that its implementation is scheduled for R2:
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/sqlkjreportingservices/thread/a1742ed2-6b92-4d0c-82cd-15928fa7e7ef

This post shows the same issue we encounter:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlreportingservices/thread/6d79b57f-70d7-4be1-81a8-491f4095749c/

Reponse from microsoft support: [REG:109102761762060]
    This is tentatively schedule for SQL 2008 R2 as well but is in danger of getting cut due to time and complexity. Please file a request for the functionality via our Connect site to keep the demand push on for the functionality.

Please see…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 15

<=-=Mar 23 2011 12:08PM=-=>

Is this going to be implemented?
    Unless I’m missing something, this is something really easy to implement. You just need to implement the IQueryDesigner interface as is available in BIDS. The Custom Query Designer instantiates in it’s own windows so that you don’t even have to handle complex interactions.
    I must admit I can’t see why after being postponed from RB 2 to RB 3, it is still not implemented.
    This would be very helpful for customers using custom data extension to be able to use RB instead of having to install BIDS.

<=-=May 29 2012 9:50AM=-=>

Any update on this?

<=-=Nov 8 2012 5:35AM=-=>

Unless I’m missing something, the workaround has nothing do to with the problem..
    Could someone remove it as this could be misleading for someone reading this information.

8. SQL Server 2008 'Remove Agent History' UI misleading

In SQL Server 2008 SSMS, the SQL Server Agent properties has an option 'Remove Agent History' on the History page indicated by a checkbox. However, selecting this option is a 1 time execution of the sp_purge_jobhistory, which is confusing because the checkbox is predominantly used elsewhere in SQL Server to indicate a permanent setting change, not a single-use action. In fact, on that very same page, there is a check box for 'Limit size of job history log' which is a permanent setting.

Though it appears that the name of the this option has been changed from 2005 to 2008…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 5

<=-=Jul 10 2009 8:23AM=-=>

Thank you for your feedback; this is a known issue and I’ve closed your bug as a duplicate of the work item we are tracking to fix this issue in our next major release.

Thanks,

Amy Lewis

<=-=Jul 29 2009 10:11AM=-=>

I wholeheartedly agree with the above comments. It’s very confusing, especially if one hasn’t consulted BOL, and why would I consult BOL when it seems so evident. Thanks!

<=-=Jan 24 2011 12:27PM=-=>

Thank you for your feedback on this issue. Our team analyzed what it would take to fix this, and, unfortunately, the bug didn’t meet our criteria for the next release. There are several workarounds available. Please refer to the SQL Agent blog for an explanation of the behavior. The link to the blos is here:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sqlagent/archive/2011/01/19/sql-agent-quick-tip-deleting-history.aspx

9. Report parameter defaults not updated during deployment

Parameter defaults do not get updated when re-deploying existing reports. These either have to be updated manually or the reports deleted and re-deployed. The latter regenerates all report ID's (GUID's) and makes traking usage from the ExecutionLog more difficult.

This is explained here http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=100960&SiteID=1 as being by design however I can't envisage parameter defaults and prompts being maintaned by an administrator.

An override mechanism similar to OverwriteDataSources should be added to Reporting Services projects to allow deploymnent from Visual Studio.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 132

<=-=Oct 25 2007 6:20PM=-=>

Thanks for the suggestion. We’ll consider for a future release.

<=-=Aug 14 2008 3:56PM=-=>

Parameter defaults could easily be maintained by an administrator in an ISV scenario, as opposed to an internal IT solution scenario. The ISV ships reports with hidden parameters used to customize behavior, using sensible default settings. Those defaults are changed by the customer’s administrator after the report is deployed to customize the behavior of the report to their needs.

Those customized defaults should not be overwritten when an updated report definition received from the ISV is deployed.

<=-=Sep 12 2008 10:09PM=-=>

A default parameter override check-box should be available. Not all reports have an administrator setting default params. And having to go and set parameters after a deploy is not an optimal use of a report developers time.

<=-=Aug 4 2009 2:33PM=-=>

I agree with TDog3, and so does every…

10. Why is Deploying SQL Server 2008 R2 sooooo FRUSTRATING?!!

I originally posted this here:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlsetupandupgrade/threads

One of the moderators suggested I post this issue here as well.

Why is it that in 2010, developing and deploying applications with Microsoft's latest tools is an exercise in complete frustration? I developed database applications for years using Microsoft's Visual FoxPro, and application deployment was NEVER the MESS it is now! In fact, deployment was always the least of my worries. I could concentrate on programming great applications! Now I cannot for the life of me find a seamless solution for my customers using Microsoft products. Where, I ask, is the progress?

Case…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 19

<=-=Aug 24 2010 6:22PM=-=>

Hello JoelTbay,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us.

As much as I would like things to be different, the truth is that there is no bootstrapper for SQL Server 2008 R2 Express in Visual Studio 2010. As I said in the quote above the reason for that is that SQL Server 2008 R2 shipped too late to be included in Visual Studio 2010. It was not just a couple of weeks either � we lock big releases like Visual Studio a few months before the RTM date, so in order to be included in Visual Studio 2010, SQL Server 2008 R2 would have to be shipped at least six months earlier.

We do understand how bad the situation is and we are investigating our options to get the SQL Server 2008 R2 Express bootstrapper into the hands of Visual Studio developers. However,…

11. [SSAS] Support msbuild as a mechanism for deploying SSAS cubes/models

The Microsoft development ecosystem uses msbuild as its build/deployment mechanism yet the SQL Server team's support is sadly lacking.
    The engine team have gone a long way to supporting msbuild through the provision of .dacpacs & SSDT database projects yet the SSIS/SSAS/SSRS teams are still lagging way behind. The teams that I work on embrace msbuild and Continuous Integration as a way to deploy their projects but getting these BI components work in the same way is very very hard.

Can I also suggest that you adopt the .dacpac/.ispac approach of the DB/SSIS teams respectively by providing a (say) .aspac…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 65

<=-=Dec 7 2012 8:43AM=-=>

Hi Jamie,

Thank you for your feedback, we will look into this issue for a future release.

Thanks,
    Kasper de Jonge
    Analysis services team

<=-=Oct 5 2015 4:49AM=-=>

This is a major gap in our build and deploy automation.

<=-=Nov 22 2016 7:50PM=-=>

As far as I am aware this gap stll exists in TFS 2015, and I haven’t been able to determine whether it still exists in 2017. Is it still the case, now 4 years later, that Microsoft tools are unable to build and deploy Microsoft solutions?

12. Include SSAS Deployment Wizard with SSDT-BI

Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Deployment.exe is currently packaged with SSMS. It would make more sense to package this with SSDT instead or in addition. This is a tool used to do two things:
    * Deploy an SSAS database - in this capacity it makes sense bundled with SSMS
    * Generated a deployment XMLA script - in this capacity it makes sense bundled with SSDT as this is a development task, not a deployment task.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 1

<=-=Feb 10 2017 1:49PM=-=>

Hello,
    Thank you for submitting this feedback. After carefully evaluating all of the suggestion items in our pipeline, we are closing items that we will not implement in the near future due to current higher priority items. We will re-evaluate the closed suggestions again in the future based on the product roadmap.
    Thanks again for providing the product suggestion and continued support for our product.
    Matt Jones

<=-=Aug 23 2017 2:30PM=-=>

And yet this item does not appear to be closed.

13. Power View - decouple from SharePoint or give us a option for standalone SharePoint deployment

Installing SharePoint on a Windows 7 laptop in Farm Mode is tough and getting it to work with PowerPivot for SharePoint was unsupported and even more difficult in 2008R2. In 2012 it appears that this is virtually impossible.

If you want to develop Power View solutions on the go the only workaround is to setup a server VM in VirtualBox and run it with that setup.

The SharePoint requirement also adds a bunch of expense and setup/support time that competeing products don't have. More or less this puts Power View out of reach for small to midsized business.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. ssas deployment wizard xmla data source overwrite option

Hi

SSAS Deployment wizard does not seems to handle different data sources connection strings for different environments which results in creating different xmla for each environment (if data source is not localhost)

Are there any plans to introduce this option? One of the ideas I had was to have 'allow overwritte' option like in SSRS which would solve problem between existing and new data sources but I understand this might not work with ssas very well (XMLA). So maybe there is a way to provide different environment details and correct one will be chosen at run time depending on machine?…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Empty space under Ribbon in Report Builder 3.0 in HighDPI mode

When I setup HighDPI mode I see many look & feel problems in Report Builder 3.0: empty space under Ribbon, window title and scale sign shifts

Compare ReportBuilder_HighDPI.png and ReportBuilder_LowDPI.png

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. SQL Server 2008 Standard Small Business does not install on Windows 2008 Standard

Before dismissing this as a licensing issue and not a bug please understand that this is INDEED a big in that it should NOT be happening this way. More of a licensing bug I guess, but a bug none the less. So here's the problem, we bought "SQL Server 2008 Standard Edition for Small Business" and on the packaging (the actual DVD box) it says it install on Windows Server 2008 Standard.

So, we have a brand new Dell server that has Windows Server 2008 Standard X64 with Service Pack 2 (fresh install). When we install SQL the setup fails…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 1

<=-=Dec 14 2010 12:24PM=-=>

Hello,

Thank you for your feedback. We are investigating the issue you reported and will get back to you as more information becomes available.

Best regards,
    Korhan

Microsoft SQL Server

<=-=Jun 15 2014 4:13AM=-=>

Dear Microsoft,

Do you have any update on this??

We are encountering the same issue here.

17. Reporting Services - Allow for datasets used by parameters to be filtered

I often want to use the same data set for multiple parameters, but with slightly different filters.
    Currently I have to setup 1 data set per parameter. Thats really painful.
    It would be create to be able to define an expression that filters the default values or the available values.

This would also provide an easy way of having multiple parameters from the same dataaset i.e. to provide From and To type scenarios

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. The The sql server hotfixes do not provide a means to specify the extract path and password via the command line.

The sql server hotfixes for example (415861_intl_i386_zip.exe) do not provide a means to specify the extract path and password via the command line.

I believe the hotfixes use the Microsoft Self-Extractor as outlined here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/912203

for more background information see this forum post:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/sqlsetupandupgrade/thread/3eedd618-9dfb-4595-ac03-beca79111e74

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 3

<=-=Jul 21 2010 12:13AM=-=>

Thank you for reporting this issue. We will investigate the provide an update accordingly.

Mohamed El Hassouni [SQL Server]

<=-=Oct 6 2010 8:13AM=-=>

Try using the /x command line parameter for extraction. The Password is not needed to apply hotfix/CUs.

Thank you,
    Mohamed El Hassouni [SQL Server]

<=-=Feb 22 2011 8:45AM=-=>

The whole process for downloading SQL Server CU files is burdensome and labor intensive. We now have to supply a password for each file that now changes every day – all to just extract a hot fix. The whole process needs to be streamlined. Adding the ability to enter a password via command line would be a step in the right direction.

<=-=Jul 28 2014 4:56PM=-=>

Thanks for reporting this. CU packages do not require a password for installation.

Sincerely,
    Ajay Jagannathan
    Senior Program Manager.

<=-=Jul 28 2014 4:56PM=-=>

Thanks for…

19. Subfolder support for Reporting Services BIDS projects

One frustrating limitation of a SSRS Visual Studio project is the inability to define a sub-folder structure for the report components in the solution. There is only a flat folder for the project files, and only two target folder locations defined for deployment - one for Data Sources and another for other deployable files (images, reports, sub-reports, etc), hence unless the deployment target folder is updated between deployment of individual file items, the RDLs, GIFs and any other files (excluding data sources) are all deployed to the same single-level folder.

If this ability were available it would enable better structured…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 38

<=-=Jan 26 2011 4:37AM=-=>

see also https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/487106/allow-sub-folders-in-ssrs-projects

<=-=Mar 22 2011 4:07PM=-=>

I would also love to see a folder structure for the datasets within a datasource or at least be able to move those around without editing the actual code so that they appear in a logical order and not just the order I happened to add them.

<=-=Oct 3 2013 5:14PM=-=>

Thanks for submitting this feedback. This request is similar to request 487106 (https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/487106/allow-sub-folders-in-ssrs-projects), and the requests will be evaluated and addressed togther.

Thanks again for continued support in our products.

20. Database Mail Configuration

I found one cause for issues when job email notifications do not send mail when all other mail tests work fine. When the original DBMail setup stores the default profile in the registry, SQL agent reads it only when it starts up. So, if you have a bad profile name in there the sql agent email notifications won't work and you won't get any log information other than job failure message: "NOTE: Failed to notify 'OperatorName' via email."

This is very frustrating to users.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 3

<=-=Sep 10 2010 10:01AM=-=>

Hello Chuck

Thank you for contacting Microsoft with this issue. We will consider your DCR suggestion in one of our future releases.

Thanks,
    Alex Grach

<=-=Mar 1 2011 6:23PM=-=>

Hello Chuck,
    We are working on fixing this issue. Please let us know if you would be willing to test the fix in your test environment

Thanks
    Sethu Srinivasan [MSFT]
    SQL Server

<=-=Mar 11 2011 10:19PM=-=>

Sure I can help test it.

<=-=Dec 10 2012 3:37PM=-=>

Yes, Daniel Adeniji, reachable via Daniel_Adeniji at hotmail dot com will able to test this out.

We hope that via some type of Inter-Process Communication and automation we should be able to reconfigure SQL Server Agent Email’s Profile.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 10 11
  • Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Feedback and Knowledge Base