SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server 2017 powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server 2017 brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. SSMS Still Forgets Passwords

You closed this same issue many times as, variously, norepro and wontfix. However, this is a serious, long-standing issue for those of us unfortunate enough to have to manage numerous SQL Server deployments.

This is a known, reproducible issue, as you can tell from the many Google results, as well as the comments on the many reports of this bug you've ignored. Below is the description of the bug from my last report, which was closed as wontfix with no explanation.

SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) has a long-standing bug that you refuse to fix. Below are some of the…

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

14 comments  ·  Setup + Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. SSMS 18 fails to install when log path contains spaces

When executing SSMS-Setup-ENU.exe with the /Log argument that points to a directory path that contains spaces, the install fails.

This appears to be because the quoted log path is not passed correctly to VSTS_setup.exe.

Compare the two extracts from install log files. The first fails, whereas the second succeeds.

[43E0:4374][2019-04-29T14:01:56]i301: Applying execute package: VSTA2017, action: Install, path: C:\ProgramData\Package Cache\BBABC3362FBBB5C3B3543B252A5D7E5C9D9E6B36\redist\vsta_setup.exe, arguments: '"C:\ProgramData\Package Cache\BBABC3362FBBB5C3B3543B252A5D7E5C9D9E6B36\redist\vsta_setup.exe" /q /norestart /log C:\Users\David\AppData\Local\Temp\\chocolatey\\SQL Server Management Studio\SQL Server Management Studio.MsiInstall_6_VSTA2017.log'
    [43A4:43A0][2019-04-29T14:01:56]i000: MainViewModel.OnPackageActionProgress: Percent completed: 50, Overall progress: 50
    [43A4:43A0][2019-04-29T14:01:56]i000: MainViewModel.OnPackageActionProgress: Percent completed: 50, Overall progress: 50
    [43A4:43A0][2019-04-29T14:01:57]i000: MainViewModel.OnPackageActionProgress: Percent completed: 50, Overall progress: 50
    [43A4:43A0][2019-04-29T14:01:57]i000: MainViewModel.OnPackageActionProgress: Percent completed:…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Setup + Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Migrating data from say 2017 SQL Web edition to SQL Standard. Any limitations?

For one of our projects we were hoping to use the 2017 MS SQL web edition for pre-production(DEV, UAT, QA etc) and post-QA testing migrate the data, stored procedures/scripts to STD edition in production. Involves one big push initially and then with every release smaller data being pushed. Are there any limitations or compatibility issues we can run into?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Setup + Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. SQL Server 2017 on Linux System Databases Rebuild Option

For the longest time I've been running SQL Server 2017 GA in Ubuntu 17.10. But, recently, after a recent apt update/upgrade to the OS, it stopped working.

I can't find any documentation to rebuild the system databases as the message I'm getting from the log in the image provided.

It would be nice to have an option as "/ACTION=REBUILDDATABASE".

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Setup + Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Sql Server 2016 RC 3 Install errors when previous CTP release was uninstalled

1. Install SQL Server 2016 CTP 3
    2. Uninstall SQL Server 2016 CTP 3
    3. Install Server 2016 RC 3
    4. Error message is displayed during processing of setup.
    5. Setup completes R services fails install. (all other components succeeded)

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Setup + Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 1

<=-=Apr 19 2016 10:43AM=-=>

Hello,
    The error occurred because the CTP3 install had some manual steps to configure R Services & those are separate from SQL Setup. In this case, the user accounts created by CTP3 for the default instance already exists and the new install of RC3 will fail. As a result, you have to repeat the manual uninstall steps for R Services too.
    To resolve the error, you can follow the steps from the link below (section: Uninstalling previous versions of R components):

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/library/mt653951.aspx

Thanks
    Umachandar

6. SQL Server 2016 - Merge statement fails when running db in Simple recovery model.

My ETL process is failing when I try and load data into my fact table using a SQL merge statement. We are using SSIS which calls a SQL task containing a SQL merge statement. The exact same setup and ETL process works in SQL 2012 Standard but not SQL 2016 Developer.

Full error text: DESCRIPTION: SQL Server Assertion: File: <pageref.cpp>, line=955 Failed Assertion = 'IS_OFF (BUF_MINLOGGED, m_buf->bstat) || pageModifyType != PageModifyType_Contents || GetPagePtr ()->IsTextPage ()'. This error may be timing-related. If the error persists after rerunning the statement, use DBCC CHECKDB to check the database for structural integrity, or restart…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 20

<=-=Jan 12 2017 1:22AM=-=>

In version 13.0.4001.0, the problem persists.

<=-=Jan 22 2017 12:45PM=-=>

I believe this has been resolved in SQL 2016 SP1 CU1 specifically KB3205964. :)

<=-=Mar 14 2017 2:03PM=-=>

We have this issue on SQL Server 2016 Standard Edition with CU1 (13.0.4411.0.). Applying the workaround (set DB to FULL recovery) works � the SSIS packages run without issue.

KB3205964 states that the bug was fixed and applied to SQL 2016 Developer, Enterprise and Enterprise Core editions. We are on Standard edition so this looks to be a variation.

The affected SQL Server was an in-place upgrade from SQL Server 2014 Standard to SQL Server 2016 Standard as follows:
    - Original build was SQL Server 2014 (SP2-CU2-GDR) (KB3194718) – 12.0.5532.0 (X64)
    - Performed in-place upgrade to SQL Server 2016 with SP1 (13.1.4001.0)
    - Applied CU1 for SQL Server 2016 SP1 (13.0.4411.0)

Current build of…

7. SSMS Preview December 2015 Data Tier Application Deployment Error

I have a data tier application developed in SSDT 2012, targeting a SQL Server 2008 R2 instance. The DTA has three projects: the db I am developing and two databases referenced by the first one. The project builds fine but when I try to deploy it I get this error:

===================================

An error occurred during deployment plan generation. Deployment cannot continue. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Dac)

------------------------------
    Program Location:

at Microsoft.SqlServer.Dac.DacServices.CreateController(SqlDeployment deploymentEngine, ErrorManager errorManager)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Dac.DeployOperation.<>c__DisplayClass3.<>c__DisplayClass5.<CreatePlanInitializationOperation>b__1()
    at Microsoft.Data.Tools.Schema.Sql.Dac.OperationLogger.Capture(Action action)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Dac.DeployOperation.<>c__DisplayClass3.<CreatePlanInitializationOperation>b__0(Object operation, CancellationToken token)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Dac.Operation.Microsoft.SqlServer.Dac.IOperation.Run(OperationContext context)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Dac.ReportMessageOperation.Microsoft.SqlServer.Dac.IOperation.Run(OperationContext context)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Dac.OperationExtension.CompositeOperation.Microsoft.SqlServer.Dac.IOperation.Run(OperationContext context)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Dac.OperationExtension.CompositeOperation.Microsoft.SqlServer.Dac.IOperation.Run(OperationContext context)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Dac.DeployOperation.Microsoft.SqlServer.Dac.IOperation.Run(OperationContext context)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Dac.OperationExtension.Execute(IOperation…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 2

<=-=Feb 3 2016 10:46AM=-=>

Hello, the solution here is to go into your Database Project Properties and click on the SQLCMD tab. You’ll see that the variable is still listed. Delete this and rebuild. Once you have done this you should now be able to deploy the dacpac via SSMS as expected. As such I am going to resolve this issue. If this does not solve the problem for you please reactivate it and we’ll investigate further.

Regards,
    Kevin Cunnane,
    SQL Server tools team.

8. There is not enough memory on the device running SQL Server Compact to complete this operation.

We have unattended set ups that are running in a windows service using SQL Server Compact Private deployment (No runtime installed on client computer for SQL CE) and we are running into an issue. After an indeterminate amount of time, usually a couple days, some of our installations will start giving us this error after every call to create a new Entity Framework context and the application will not work until we restart the windows service. The machine is not restarted. The machine never seems to recover, and the most important part of course is that not only does the…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. SSIS Parent Package Configuration Fails

If you have several parent configurations setup and one fails to find the variable in the parent, gives a warning, and then does NOT load the rest of the parent configruations. I realize order matters in how your configurations are processed, but I wouldn't expect the rest of my configurations to not work simply because it could not find one parent variable.

The problem only seems to come up when I'm dealing with multiple parent configurations. If I'm loading a variable from a config file and then loading the same variable from a parent variable the process works fine. This…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 0

<=-=Oct 12 2006 2:05PM=-=>

[Bulk edit]
    Thanks for reporting this issue, unfortunately we are not able to implement your suggestions (or fixes) in the Yukon timeframe; however we have considered this feedback useful enough that we have either:
    1) Closed this bug as a duplicate of a (similar) parent tracking item in the next verison of our product, Katmai
    or
    2) Moved this bug into Katmai as a parent tracking-item and grouped other similar bugs underneath it.

Either way, we are listening to your ideas and considering them for the next version. In some circumstances we have actually made a few changes in SP2 to address some of these issues too.

<=-=Oct 12 2006 2:08PM=-=>

Sorry – this bug was actually moved to SP3, not Katmai

<=-=May 29 2007 9:52AM=-=>

Thank you for reporting this issue. It has been resolved for the Katmai release.

10. Installation SQL 2008 failed on XP PRO

Encounter installation error Microsoft.SqlServer.Setup.Chainer.Workflow.ActionExecutionException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

on XP PRO with .NET 3.5 SP1 and Windows Installer 4.5 .

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Mar 26 2009 8:40AM=-=>

This is a dup of a known issue – we are working on getting a KB published. Below is details on a work around. Let me know how it goes.

Issue:

Discovery detects there are SQL 2000 Tools installed on the box but there is no VersionString and Language attributes set in the discovery result.

Both properties VersionString and Language are required for calculate logic in SetFeatureInstallStateAction to match if a product is installed or not.

It seems the discovery code it looks for VersionString and Language in this hive SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\ClientSetup\CurrentVersion

A workaround could be to check if there are really SQL 2000 tools installed and if so fix CurrentVersion and Language registry values under the SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\ClientSetup\CurrentVersion hive.

VersionString=8.00.0194
    Language=1033

Thanks,

Amy Lewis

<=-=Mar 27 2009 2:06PM=-=>

I’ve closed this bug since it is a duplicate of a…

11. RC0 Upgrade Reporting Services Component Failed

Hi,

While upgrading our server from CTP6 to RC0 reporting services component upgrade has failed with folleing error:

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Setup

The following error has occurred:

Invalid class

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?LinkID=20476&ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&EvtSrc=setup.rll&EvtID=50000&ProdVer=10.0.1442.32&EvtType=System.Management.ManagementException.ThrowWithExtendedInfo%2540System.Management.ManagementException

BUTTONS:

OK

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jul 1 2008 9:32AM=-=>

We would like to investigate your issue but we need your installation logs. Can you please attach them?

Logs: ProgramFiles\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log

Thanks,

Amy Lewis

<=-=Jul 3 2008 10:50AM=-=>

I have closed this bug duplicate of another known issue. The source bug is being worked and should be fixed.

Thanks,

Amy Lewis

<=-=May 17 2010 2:25PM=-=>

An update on this issue, as it was closed:

This is a known Windows issue that was fixed in a Windows QFE. Please refer to the following to get the update that fixes the issue:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958655

With this, we are resolving this issue with no fix planned on SQL Server.

Thanks,
    Max Verun
    SQL Server

12. SSIS Variables window is not displayed properly on dual monitor setup

Within BIDS 2008, I have observed problems with displaying the Variables window when using SSIS Designer on a dual-monitor setup. I can reproduce the problem consistently, so if you have problems reproducing it, please feel free to contact me.

Steps to reproduce are provided. In addition, I have attached a Word file with screenshots showing the results of selected steps.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Aug 20 2008 10:50AM=-=>

Thanks for your feedback, we appreciate it.

We were unable to fix this issue in SQL Server 2008 as it was identified very close to RTM date. We have placed this issue in our next major release planning bucket. Please expect an update in a few months.

Thanks,
    SSIS team.

<=-=May 6 2009 5:09PM=-=>

I have experienced this issue with BIDS 2005 as well, and can confirm that the above workaround works in that environment. The Variables window intiially appeared blank, but subsequently, it doesn’t appear at all unless you pin the toolbox as described above. Thanks for the valuable tip!

<=-=May 26 2009 1:17PM=-=>

I have this exact same problem, and the work around works exactly as described.

Thanks!

<=-=Oct 19 2009 2:04AM=-=>

Guys,

I can’t get this work around to work. Any other suggestions ?

I see that MS posted well over…

13. Installation SQL server 2005 Dev. Ed. does not work on Windows 2003 server (sp1) when Active Directory (domain controller)/DNS rol

When the PC with Windows 2003 server (sp1) has a server role of active directory(domain controller)/DNS configure, the setup of the SQL server 2005 developer edition will not work and stops with an error message.

Workaround:
    Remove the DNS/Active directory

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. RU:BOL (Russian text truncation in BOL setup programm)

Russian text truncation in BOL setup programm.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Clickthough is not working with missing parameters Different behaviour of Visual Studio than the Reporting Server.

Imagine you have two reports, one report to display common data, the other one is a click through report with more detailed data. From the first to the second one you setup a clickthrough navigation. In the second report you need to additionally fill in another parameter than the one that is passed through the "Jump to Report" function in the first report. In VS Studio once you naviate through the first report to the second report by clicking the control which is clickthroughable, the second report with the passed parameter is displayed and waiting for input of the additional…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Nov 3 2007 11:30PM=-=>

The server seems to be working correctly, however, we are investigating this for the SQL Server 2008 Report Designer.

<=-=Nov 8 2007 4:37PM=-=>

Reading the bug, it sounds like the request is for Report Manager to show the parameters area when parameters are not satisfied instead of attempting to run the report and throwing an error. This will be fixed as a side effect of a QFE scheduled to be delivered in December, 2007. Please contact product support to recieve this QFE once it is delivered. Thank you for reporting this issue.

16. Installation fails indicating wrong platform when applying SP1 on a computer with SQL Native Client

When I installed only the SQL Native Client on a computer (no SQL2005 engine) and attempt to update it using SP1 (SP1 indicates that a feature that it update is SQL Native Client) it complains that the platform is incorrect:

05/30/2006 10:38:34.469 Attempting to check IA 64 platform
    05/30/2006 10:38:34.499 Result of IA64 check: 0
    05/30/2006 10:38:34.519 Last error: 0
    05/30/2006 10:39:20.242 Setup cannot update x86 products on this computer. To proceed, run the SP1 Setup program for the x86 platform.
    05/30/2006 10:39:20.855 Hotfix package closed

This message is produced despite the bits and the platform being x86.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Feb 12 2009 12:39PM=-=>

I know this issue was opened a long time ago, but it was brought to my attention you may not have received an update regarding this issue. The issue was addressed in SQL Server 2005 SP2.

Thanks,
    Peter Saddow [Microsoft]

17. Login failed for user 'sa' when trying to install SQL Server EE with Advanced Services

I have SQL Server 2005 Express Edition SP1 installed and I try to install SQL Server EE With Advanced Services from this URL
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=57856CDD-DA9B-4AD0-9A8A-F193AE8410AD&displaylang=en

During default setting setup (I only pressed next without changin any settings) I encounter the following problem
    SQL Server Setup could not connect to the database service for server configuration. The error was: [Microsoft][SQL Native Client][SQL Server]Login failed for user 'sa'. Refer to server error logs and setup logs for more information. For details on how to view setup logs, see "How to View Setup Log Files" in SQL Server Books Online.

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?LinkID=20476&ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&ProdVer=9.00.2040.00&EvtSrc=setup.rll&EvtID=29515&EvtType=lib%5codbc_connection.cpp%40Do_sqlScript%40OdbcConnection%3a%3aconnect%40connect%40x4818

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Apr 8 2006 2:52PM=-=>

Have you tried running the setup with a non-blacnk password for sa? The fact that it does not work if you sa password is blank, is a feature in my opinion!

<=-=Apr 9 2006 2:13AM=-=>

First attempt I made was with default installation of SQL Server Express, it has windows authentication enabled only. If you do a full install of the advanced services it will ask if you want to use windows or sql authentication and give message that all features does not work if you choose to install with sql authentication.

I have had a password set for ‘sa’ but I’ll try it again.

<=-=Apr 9 2006 4:30AM=-=>

I made some more tests. SQL Server Express is set up to accept sql server and windows authentication logins. I tested with blank and non-blank password, I can login with the management studio with sa.

18. Setup "back" feature retention of selections

When going through setup steps up to the point of selecting the parts you want to install (ie. Engine, Tools, SSIS, etc) if click the "back" button to get to the previous page in order to, say, change the install path, any selections made on what exactly you want to install are forgotten.

This probably would make for an annoying user experience and might be an easy fix to remember what was selected during fwd/bkwd navigation in setup.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Mar 3 2006 2:36PM=-=>

Chad,

Thanks for filing this bug. We can’t do anything about it for the current SQL Server 2005 release, so I’m moving this suggestion to the category of bugs for our next product.

-Jeffrey Baker
    PM, SQL Services Lifecycle Platform Team

<=-=Oct 12 2007 9:25PM=-=>

Chad -

Our Katmai UI will retain settings when you use the BACK button in Setup.

Thanks,

Amy Lewis

19. VS2005 Beta 2 and SQL Server 2005 April CTP (Developer Edition) Setup Failure

SQL Server 2005 Express (April CTP) included within VS2005 Beta 2 DVD fails to install when SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition (April CTP) is already installed.

It was my understanding with previous builds of Yukon and Whidbey that the install for SQL Server Developer should be done first and then the Visual Studio 2005 install should be done subsequently (including the express edition of SQL Server).

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Apr 20 2005 9:03AM=-=>

The issue is you installed Tools with SQL Developer Edition and the VS install of SQL Express attempts to install Tools as well. This is a known issue. The work around is to uninstall Tools installed with dev, install VS with SQL Express, uninstall the SQL Express tools and reinstall the DEveloper Tools.

<=-=Apr 21 2005 8:55AM=-=>

I’m assuming this won’t be the required work around for the RTM builds?

<=-=Apr 21 2005 1:14PM=-=>

This bug was reopened to ask a question.

I’m assuming this won’t be the required work around for the RTM builds?

Correct, that a workaround will not be required for this scenario and it will be fixed.

20. SP1 install hangs early in process

No prompt or setup screen is generated after running the SP1 exe. Running task manager shows 2 new processes running: hotfix.exe and a cmd.exe. They take zero CPU and will run for days (literally).

c:\windows\hotfix\hotfix.log only contains:

Successfully opened registry key: SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    Successfully read registry key: CommonFilesDir, string value = C:\Program Files\Common Files
    Successfully opened registry key: SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    Successfully read registry key: ProgramFilesDir, string value = C:\Program Files

I don't see any error messages in the event viewer or SQL logs.

If I kill the cmd.exe process before killing hotfix.exe I get a popup
    with title "Product Enumeration" and message…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jun 5 2006 8:49AM=-=>

The brief hotfix.log is uploaded.

<=-=Jun 5 2006 3:24PM=-=>

Thank you for your feedback. Please supply us with the setup log files located at windir\hotfix so we can continue to investigate this issue.

Thank You,
    Peter Saddow

<=-=Jun 6 2006 12:03PM=-=>

Hotfix file uploaded

<=-=Jun 20 2006 2:58PM=-=>

Problem is solved:

Hotfix.exe spawns a cmd.exe with command line switch “/C dir \\\c$” to get a directory listing. I have the environmental variable DIRCMD set to “/odg/p” which causes the dir command to pause after each page of directory listings. So, the sp1 installer was waiting forever at the dir’s prompt “Press any key to continue”. Taking the /p off the environmental variable fixed this problem.

Now that has to make you laugh (well, on my end, after the hours on this issue, it’s kinda a sarcastic laugh).

<=-=Sep 13 2006 1:33PM=-=>

Thanks for…

← Previous 1
  • Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base