Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more here.

SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Microsoft Q&A or Stack Overflow

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Unable to get a list of SQL scheduled jobs for a future date

Currently in SQL 2005(and in 2000), if you've got daily/weekly/monthly sql jobs setup, you cannot get a snapshot of the jobs(that will run) for a future data and time(range).
    To a certain extent, you can get some info by reading system tables(in msdb) such as sysjobs and sysjobshedules - but, this is very convoluted as you have to traverse various options and flags!

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Setup + Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 0

<=-=Sep 28 2006 8:20AM=-=>

You reported that SQL Server provides insufficient reporting about jobs to be run in the future. Your request is sensible, and we will consider it for inclusion in our next release. In the meantime, check out custom reports in our next service pack. You should be able to create a panel that has the information you seek. (Though this would require working through the existing msdb system tables.)

jkh

<=-=Oct 28 2008 12:30PM=-=>

We are considering this for SQL11

Thanks,

Gil

2. Report Builder RC1 - Total on a Grouping

Hi Dev Team,

On a Tablix, when you create a grouping with a filter and ask for a Grouping Total, the system calculate the Grand Total rather than a total of the filter by default.
    When I wanted to add the reference to the Group in the sum function I got an error.
    The Value expression for the text box 'textbox12' has a scope parameter that is not valid for an aggregate function. The scope parameter much be set to a string constant .....
    I check the name and it's setup as a mane of my group.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 0

<=-=Sep 24 2008 5:38PM=-=>

Thank you for providing this feedback. The functionality you are asking about is not available in Reporting Services today. You would need to re-apply the same filter logic to your total directly or apply the filter to your dataset. It is not possible to reference the filter on the group in your total. We do have plans to add features that would support this scenario in the future but they have not yet been implemented.

3. CU1 : Can't validate that SSMS was patched

During CU1 setup, it is clear that SSMS is being patched. However, after the patch is complete, @@VERSION on the server instance patched yields 10.0.1763.0, but Help|About in SSMS still says "10.0.1600.22 ((SQL_PreRelease).080709-1414)". Since I assume that some of the IntelliSense fixes listed in KB 956717 apply to the tools and not the engine, this result is unexpected. How can I tell if the patch to SSMS failed, or if there is a bug preventing the proper updating of the version listed in Help|About?

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 2

<=-=Oct 13 2008 1:39PM=-=>

Thank you for contacting us. You can obtain the version of the Management Tools by running the “Installed SQL Server features discovery report”. However, I can see the version shown on the SSMS About dialog is still 10.0.1600 (or the RTM version). This may be because the file version being read was not updated in the CU package. I will send along to the proper team for further investigation.

Thanks,
    Peter Saddow [Microsoft]

<=-=Jun 10 2011 2:53AM=-=>

Hi

This issue has been fixed, and has been verified internally. This should be available in the next available public release of SQL Server Code-Named �Denali�.

Thanks for writing in to Microsoft.

Cheers,

Sreekar

4. MSFT - Maddog: Two users running same query get different query plans

I've got a strange situation here where two different users are running the exact same query (down to spacing etc.) and they're getting different query plans. The one plan finishes in a few seconds, whereas the other plan times out after 5 minutes. I've verified that the queries are identical, and noticed through SQL Profiler that the plans are only different in the compiled parameters. We've got forced parameterization turned on, so it seems that the 'good' plan was compiled for the same parameters that were used, whereas the 'bad' plan was compiled for different ones - but then SQL…

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 1

<=-=Nov 21 2008 10:34AM=-=>

For this specific query I’d recommend that you put OPTION on it because it runs for a long time, probably a lot longer than it takes to compile. Use a plan guide to do this if you can’t change the application. You are suffering from the well known “parameter sniffing” problem and we are working to fix this in the next release. I may put one of our people in touch with you to understand your requirements better.

Eric

<=-=Nov 21 2008 11:36AM=-=>

A couple of questions -

. Are the different plans active (i.e. cached) at the same time? . Are the different users connecting from the same application?

One possible explanation is SET options which affect plan choice (in as much as they affect semantics). Certain SET options are part of the cache key so different options lead to different plans being…

5. Schema diff script generation for cubes

Analysis Services can't leverage a fraction of the maintenance features that SQL Server relational databases can. Imagine what we could do with a schema diff generation tool like that provided by Datadude (but for cubes of course). Here are a couple of use cases ...
    - Enable common schema elements in distributed cubes across large organizations.
    - Incremental deployments of new cube objects where schema diff scripts are associated with a release.

We work for a huge organization and have a requirement for common cube elements in various cubes across the world. They feed off data marts that also have…

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 3

<=-=May 29 2008 3:12PM=-=>

Thanks Christian for reporting the suggestion.

We are going to take a look at it in the future version of Analysis Services.

The Analysis Services Team.

<=-=May 29 2008 3:13PM=-=>

Thanks Christian for reporting the suggestion.

We are going to look at this for the future version of Analysis Services.

6. Setup : issues with Supplemental Information

On setup's "Complete" dialog, there are a bunch of links offered in "Supplemental Information" at the bottom. I have noticed a few issues that are kind of surprising.

====================

Under Microsoft Update, it says:

For information about how to use Microsoft Update to identify updates for SQL Server 2008, see the Microsoft Update Web site <http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=108409> at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=108409.

This goes to:

http://www.update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/vistadefault.aspx?ln=en-us

Which is just the main page for Microsoft Update, and on most operating systems (Vista & Server 2008), it simply tells you, what are you doing here, go to the control panel. There is certainly…

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jul 30 2008 7:09PM=-=>

Aaron,

All these are FWLinks and can be dynamically adjusted at will. RTM content will be turned on when we RTM.

-Richard Waymire

<=-=Jul 30 2008 7:37PM=-=>

Richard, not all of my observations involve a difference between versions of SQL Server 2008 (the CodePlex link is not Express-specific, and the Microsoft Update link is not SQL Server-specific at all). Are these (and the surrounding text) really going to change by RTM?

Also, while yes you can change the FWLinks, you can not change the text that surrounds them within the supplemental information panel. Why hard-code that?

<=-=Jul 31 2008 4:00PM=-=>

Aaron,

I’m going to move this bug to Next Major Release (too late for SQL Server 2008 for these other issues) and assign this to Peter, who owned the GUI for setup.

-Richard

<=-=Jul 31 2009 9:12PM=-=>

Closing this issue since the…

7. Sql2k8 (dev x64) fails on PassPidBackFromComponentUpdate 0x80070006 (E_HANDLE)

An attempt to install sql2k8 rtm (dev x64) fails with the 0x80070006 error.

2008-08-06 15:03:39 Slp: Running Action: PassPidBackFromComponentUpdate
    2008-08-06 15:03:39 Slp: Pass the flag CuPidDisplayed to the main setup
    2008-08-06 15:03:39 Slp: PID value specified, trying to pass the value to main setup
    2008-08-06 15:03:39 Slp: Error: Action "PassPidBackFromComponentUpdate" threw an exception during execution.
    2008-08-06 15:03:39 Slp: Microsoft.SqlServer.Setup.Chainer.Workflow.ActionExecutionException: The handle is invalid. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070006 (EHANDLE)) ---> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80070006): The handle is invalid. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070006 (EHANDLE))
    2008-08-06 15:03:39 Slp: at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32 errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo)
    2008-08-06 15:03:39 Slp: at Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.BootstrapExtension.PassPidBackFromComponentUpdateAction.ExecuteAction(String actionId)
    2008-08-06 15:03:39 Slp: at…

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 2

<=-=Aug 6 2008 3:28PM=-=>

Found the problem.

This is a MSDN version so the product key is pidded but it is not enabled as read-only. So, when you’re presented with the product key dialog, you can muck it up.

To reproduce, simply select the “Specify a free edition” radio button without changing the shown PID, then reselect the “Enter the product key” radio button (again without changing the PID) and continue with the installation.

I expect this bug exists in all MSDN editions.

<=-=Aug 15 2008 3:40PM=-=>

Thanks for contacting us, we look at addressing this issue in the next major release of SQL Server.

Thanks,
    Peter Saddow [Microsoft]

<=-=Sep 22 2008 7:03PM=-=>

Got this when installing…

<=-=Aug 26 2011 8:51AM=-=>

this issue has beed addressed in future SPs and major versions.

8. Installation wizard does not detect missing Windows 2003 hotfix until very last step

Yes, y'all will probably call this one as "by design", but the design gets an F in terms of usability. After 4 rules checks and making me do the maximum amount of work possible to install a cluster node, the setup routine, on the VERY last step tells me that KB937444 is missing from my machine. If the stupid rule can detect it at the extreme end of the installation routine, after making me launch, run rules check, install pre-requisites, select features, instance name, cluster group, cluster disks, IP address, windows groups, service accounts, provision a user, specify directories, etc.,…

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 5

<=-=Sep 12 2008 6:26PM=-=>

We already have a bug filed for this issue and it is targeted for the next release. I am closing this as a duplicate.

Thanks for your feedback,

Max Verun
    SQL Server

<=-=Feb 3 2010 3:16AM=-=>

I agree entirely.
    I have many problems trying to install SQL2008 standard edition on a 2 node failover cluster. One of those is the Filestream hotfix, although I did not tick this option during the installation.
    Other problems are – the installation does not recognise groups and accounts which already have been created on AD and added to the group policy.
    I have found that SQL2008 installation has been more painful than SQL2005.

<=-=Feb 20 2010 12:53AM=-=>

Actually, the more important question is why did the MSSQL developers make the installation dependent on an optional hotfix in the first place? And worse, a hotfix is not even a…

9. Can't patch 2008 SP1 instance (running 2740) with 2746 (CU5)

I applied the mid-cycle update that was briefly made available via the SP1 CU#4 (KB #973602). This brought my SQL Server 2008 SP1 instance to 10.00.2740. Now when I try to apply CU#5 (10.0.2746, from KB #976761), the setup routine seems to think that the installed product version is 10.0.1600.22. The setup screen itself seems confused, as seen in this screen shot:

http://sqlblog.com/files/folders/19104/download.aspx

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Dec 3 2009 11:36AM=-=>

Hi Aaron,

We need all the setup logs for this. Please attach them to this issue and we will investigate further.

Thanks,
    Max Verun
    SQL Server

<=-=Dec 10 2009 1:12PM=-=>

Max, I do not have the logs anymore, but I can add a bit to the steps to reproduce: install sql 2008 with SP1 (slipstreamed or otherwise). Install Analysis Services without slipstreaming (so leave it at RTM). The CU installer doesn’t know what to do in this case. I agree that it can’t just update both components, but it could be smarter about either (a) telling me in the UI that the components don’t match (it currently seems like it think my database engine is at RTM), or (b) just offering me a choice to update the engine and leave Analysis Services where it is by leaving the box for that component…

10. Error on Instance Configuration page in cluster setup

I prepared a SQL Server 2008 R2 CTP named instance on Node A in a cluster. I copied the configurationfile.ini file from NOde A to NodeB and prepared Node B using the configurationfile:
    Setup /ConfigurationFile=F:\Configurationfile.ini

The configurationfile. ini file includes:
    INSTANCENAME="INSTANCEB"

When I run setup on Node B, the "Instance Configuration" screen selects the "Default Instance" radio button instead of the "Named Instance" radio button.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jan 18 2010 2:34PM=-=>

Hi Janet,

This is currently in our list of bug fixes identified for next major release. For the time being, you need to follow the manual workaround you listed.

Thanks for reporting this issue,
    Max Verun
    SQL Server

<=-=May 6 2011 12:56PM=-=>

Hello,

We are tracking this issue with a duplicate work item and closing this one. Thanks for your time reporting it.

Thanks,
    SQL Server

11. Reporting Services 2008 cannot create HTTP Endpoint with a wildcard SSL cert

Hi,

I work for a software company which provides management software for schools. Each school has a MSSQL Server and we attach SSRS. For our newer customers we are using Server 2008 and SSRS 2008. I have an issue which I cannot fix at the moment.

I am trying to use the SSRS2008 configuration manager to bind my resportserver virtual directory to the wildcard SSL cert we have on this school. We have another client who has a similar setup and this works fine. However on the system in question I cannot get it to work. If I look in…

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 6

<=-=Dec 23 2009 1:11AM=-=>

Has no one got any idea about this? I have had to set SSRS as Http only for now which isn’t ideal as it cannot now be used remotely.

Thanks,
    Pete

<=-=Feb 23 2010 5:23PM=-=>

I had the same problem, although I wasn’t using a wildcard cert. I fixed it by changing the service account from Network Service to Local System. I was surprised that it still worked after changing back to Network Service.

<=-=Apr 7 2010 8:52AM=-=>

I have this problem as well: changing the service account made no difference. I have tried deleting the encryption keys which made no difference.

servicecontroller9a0!04/07/2010-16:41:06:: e ERROR: Error creating HTTP endpoint. System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access is denied. (Exception from HRESULT: 0×80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED))
    at Microsoft.ReportingServices.HostingInterfaces.IRsUnmanagedCallback.CreateHttpEndpoint(RsAppDomainType application, String[] urlPrefixes, Int32 cPrefixes, String virtualDirectory, String filePath, Int32 authType, Int32 logonMethod, String authDomain, String authRealm, Boolean authPersist, Boolean enabled)…

12. Master Data Services Web Configuration Tool Stopped Working after entering in User Name in the Create Application Section

I was able to setup the database successfully. However, when I got to the Create Application screen, the application crashes with the following error message:

Description:
    Stopped working

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
    Problem Signature 01: mdsconfigtool.exe
    Problem Signature 02: 0.0.0.0
    Problem Signature 03: 4aeb8d24
    Problem Signature 04: mscorlib
    Problem Signature 05: 2.0.0.0
    Problem Signature 06: 48ead9ba
    Problem Signature 07: 4206
    Problem Signature 08: a9
    Problem Signature 09: PSZQOADHX1U5ZAHBHOHGHLDGIY4QIXHX
    OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.274.10
    Locale ID: 1033

Read our privacy statement:
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=50163&clcid=0x0409

I've used the Default Web Site for the Site setting. I'm not sure what is causing the config tool…

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Dec 17 2009 3:40PM=-=>

Hi,

We believe that this issue is caused by stale credentials. Both our developers and testers have encountered this issue when using virtual machines that have been left on without regular security maintenance. Can you confirm whether or not this could be the case for you?

Thanks!

13. Subscription option to not send empty reports

When users subscribe to reports, they get copies whether or not there is actually data on the report. When we setup Data Driven, we can address this, but it's not addressable when a user sets up their own subscription.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Drillthrough report parameter setup needs better options in dropdown

In SSRS designer, when you're setting up a drillthrough report (the Navigation tab of the properties of a textbox), and you're defining a parameter mapping, what appears in the dropdown is the list of fields for the appropriate dataset. The list of parameters (formatted as expressions like =Parameters!MyParam.Value) should also appear in the list as they are probably the mostly likely expression you're going to use.

See the attached image.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. No mapping between account names and security IDs was don

I get this error message during AS deployment.
    "The following system error occurred: No mapping between account names and security IDs was done. ."
    I deployed before. There is no more detail. I do not know where I look and what is the reason of this error?

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 18

<=-=Jul 8 2008 5:49PM=-=>

sayginates.

Thanks for reporting the problem.
    The error message you are getting indicates that Analysis Server received the script containing a username that it cannot resolve. Basically somewhere in one of your security roles you have a member that is no longer part of the domain. Or it might be you are trying to use local user and machine name has changed or you are deploying to different machine.
    Unfortunately the error message is not very clear about which exact username Analysis Services has problem with. We are working on getting this fixed.

Thanks.

<=-=Jul 9 2008 1:14PM=-=>

Before filed the problem, I checked roles and their members.
    As I remember, previous AS version shows member name like �??XXXX??� that is not exists. I expected to find out member(s) that is not mapped. However, all members…

16. Unattended install failing with "The credentials you provided for the SQL Server Agent service are invalid."

Attempting to install RC0 on a win2k3 sp2 machine, using a domain account and password for SQL Server, SQL Agent, AS and RS results in the following:

The following error occurred:
    The credentials you provided for the
    SQL Server Agent service are invalid.
    To continue, provide a valid account
    and password for the SQL Server Agent
    service.
    Error result: -2068578304
    Result facility code: 1204
    Result error code: 0
    Please review the summary.txt log for

further details

Error result: -2068578304
    Result facility code: 1204
    Result error code: 0
    Microsoft (R) SQL Server 2008 Setup
    Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation.
    All rights…

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jul 8 2008 7:49AM=-=>

Hi,

As we confirmed, the account used for this does not have logon interactive permission. This is an issue that is fixed after RC0. You need to use the escrow build for the fix for this issue. As such, I am closign this as a duplicate. Please reactivate if you think the escrow build does not resolve this issue.

Thanks,

Max Verun
    SQL Server

<=-=Aug 8 2008 1:49PM=-=>

Manual install of the x86 RTM gives me the same error. Couldn’t get past the Service Accounts configuration. Help!

<=-=Sep 22 2008 5:29AM=-=>

The /AGTSVCPASSWORD parameter requires that the password is supplied without surrounding quotes. All the other /…PASSWORD parameters are happy to accept quotes around the password

<=-=Jul 27 2016 11:53AM=-=>

I had this issue earlier today.. posting it in case it helps someone else.
    I was using a random generated password that…

17. Setup : problems in "Repair" process

If I run a repair and it fails, there are two things I don't like about the "Complete with failures" dialog:

(1) I cannot click < Back to the repair progress dialog. On the "repair progress" screen it said something about failure, and had a Next > button. If I can click next but can't go back to see what that message said, why not have the message on the final screen and just move to it automatically?

(2) There were apparently two errors, as two red x's show up, but only one of them has an associated message.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jul 29 2008 11:24AM=-=>

Aaron,

Thanks for the report. It’s too late to change this for SQL Server 2008, but I will have someone investigate how to improve this.

-Richard Waymire

<=-=Jan 15 2010 12:23PM=-=>

Hi Aaron,

Glad to let you know that we fixed this issue for the next major release of SQL Server. Please be on the look out for its release (after our SQL Server 2008 R2 release).

Max Verun
    SQL Server

<=-=Jan 15 2010 12:23PM=-=>

Hi Aaron,

Glad to let you know that we fixed this issue for the next major release of SQL Server. Please be on the look out for its release (after our SQL Server 2008 R2 release).

Max Verun
    SQL Server

18. SQL Server 2008 R2 bug preparing InstanceID2 for SYSPREP

I prepared two instances on my computer using this command with the attached PrepareImageconfiguration.ini file.

\setup.exe /ConfigurationFile=PrepareImageConfigurationFile.ini

The first instance prepared without problems. During the prep of the second instance, I expected the features to be selected as they were in the first install but they were not. See the attached file for a screen shot of the "Feature Selection" screen.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 2 24 25 26 28 Next →
  • Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base