SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Login failed for user 'sa' when trying to install SQL Server EE with Advanced Services

I have SQL Server 2005 Express Edition SP1 installed and I try to install SQL Server EE With Advanced Services from this URL
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=57856CDD-DA9B-4AD0-9A8A-F193AE8410AD&displaylang=en

During default setting setup (I only pressed next without changin any settings) I encounter the following problem
    SQL Server Setup could not connect to the database service for server configuration. The error was: [Microsoft][SQL Native Client][SQL Server]Login failed for user 'sa'. Refer to server error logs and setup logs for more information. For details on how to view setup logs, see "How to View Setup Log Files" in SQL Server Books Online.

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?LinkID=20476&ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&ProdVer=9.00.2040.00&EvtSrc=setup.rll&EvtID=29515&EvtType=lib%5codbc

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Setup + Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 0

<=-=Apr 8 2006 2:52PM=-=>

Have you tried running the setup with a non-blacnk password for sa? The fact that it does not work if you sa password is blank, is a feature in my opinion!

<=-=Apr 9 2006 2:13AM=-=>

First attempt I made was with default installation of SQL Server Express, it has windows authentication enabled only. If you do a full install of the advanced services it will ask if you want to use windows or sql authentication and give message that all features does not work if you choose to install with sql authentication.

I have had a password set for ‘sa’ but I’ll try it again.

<=-=Apr 9 2006 4:30AM=-=>

I made some more tests. SQL Server Express is set up to accept sql server and windows authentication logins. I tested with blank and non-blank password, I can login with the management studio with sa.

2. Setup "back" feature retention of selections

When going through setup steps up to the point of selecting the parts you want to install (ie. Engine, Tools, SSIS, etc) if click the "back" button to get to the previous page in order to, say, change the install path, any selections made on what exactly you want to install are forgotten.

This probably would make for an annoying user experience and might be an easy fix to remember what was selected during fwd/bkwd navigation in setup.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Mar 3 2006 2:36PM=-=>

Chad,

Thanks for filing this bug. We can’t do anything about it for the current SQL Server 2005 release, so I’m moving this suggestion to the category of bugs for our next product.

-Jeffrey Baker
    PM, SQL Services Lifecycle Platform Team

<=-=Oct 12 2007 9:25PM=-=>

Chad -

Our Katmai UI will retain settings when you use the BACK button in Setup.

Thanks,

Amy Lewis

3. VS2005 Beta 2 and SQL Server 2005 April CTP (Developer Edition) Setup Failure

SQL Server 2005 Express (April CTP) included within VS2005 Beta 2 DVD fails to install when SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition (April CTP) is already installed.

It was my understanding with previous builds of Yukon and Whidbey that the install for SQL Server Developer should be done first and then the Visual Studio 2005 install should be done subsequently (including the express edition of SQL Server).

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 1

<=-=Apr 20 2005 9:03AM=-=>

The issue is you installed Tools with SQL Developer Edition and the VS install of SQL Express attempts to install Tools as well. This is a known issue. The work around is to uninstall Tools installed with dev, install VS with SQL Express, uninstall the SQL Express tools and reinstall the DEveloper Tools.

<=-=Apr 21 2005 8:55AM=-=>

I’m assuming this won’t be the required work around for the RTM builds?

<=-=Apr 21 2005 1:14PM=-=>

This bug was reopened to ask a question.

I’m assuming this won’t be the required work around for the RTM builds?

Correct, that a workaround will not be required for this scenario and it will be fixed.

4. SP1 install hangs early in process

No prompt or setup screen is generated after running the SP1 exe. Running task manager shows 2 new processes running: hotfix.exe and a cmd.exe. They take zero CPU and will run for days (literally).

c:\windows\hotfix\hotfix.log only contains:

Successfully opened registry key: SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    Successfully read registry key: CommonFilesDir, string value = C:\Program Files\Common Files
    Successfully opened registry key: SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    Successfully read registry key: ProgramFilesDir, string value = C:\Program Files

I don't see any error messages in the event viewer or SQL logs.

If I kill the cmd.exe process before killing hotfix.exe I get a popup
    with title "Product Enumeration" and message…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 1

<=-=Jun 5 2006 8:49AM=-=>

The brief hotfix.log is uploaded.

<=-=Jun 5 2006 3:24PM=-=>

Thank you for your feedback. Please supply us with the setup log files located at windir\hotfix so we can continue to investigate this issue.

Thank You,
    Peter Saddow

<=-=Jun 6 2006 12:03PM=-=>

Hotfix file uploaded

<=-=Jun 20 2006 2:58PM=-=>

Problem is solved:

Hotfix.exe spawns a cmd.exe with command line switch “/C dir \\\c$” to get a directory listing. I have the environmental variable DIRCMD set to “/odg/p” which causes the dir command to pause after each page of directory listings. So, the sp1 installer was waiting forever at the dir’s prompt “Press any key to continue”. Taking the /p off the environmental variable fixed this problem.

Now that has to make you laugh (well, on my end, after the hours on this issue, it’s kinda a sarcastic laugh).

<=-=Sep 13 2006 1:33PM=-=>

Thanks for…

5. SP1 Setup and locked files

From the Readme to SP1, I get the impression that if I don't stop services, the Setup will do so for me. Nevertheless, on every attempt, I've been prompted about locked files related to the Full-text and SQL Browser services.

I've then opened SQL Configuration Manager to stop these services, whereupon I've closed SCM again. Nevertheless, the next reboot message have been about a DLL related to WinMgmt, that is SCM. Not knowing how to close an applicaiton that is not running, I've accepted a reboot.

On one machine I first ran the BOL setup, before I ran the SP1…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 2

<=-=Apr 14 2006 11:48AM=-=>

Thank you for your feedback. We are looking to improve the locking files behavior in SP2. Peter Saddow

<=-=Sep 13 2006 1:26PM=-=>

Thanks for your feedback. This should be fixed in SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 2.

Thanks,
    Peter Saddow

6. RU: SQL Server 2005 (Russian text truncation in setup programm)

RUS : ?????????? ????? ? ???????????
    ENG : russian text truncation in setup programm

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jun 30 2006 3:01PM=-=>

Hi gavrilenko_s,
    Thank you very much for your feedback. We have corrected the issues in SQL 2005 Russian RTM.

Appreciate your help!
    SQLLoc

<=-=Oct 15 2007 1:19PM=-=>

Confirming that this feedback was addressed in SQL Server 2005

7. RU:BOL (Russian text truncation in BOL setup programm)

Russian text truncation in BOL setup programm.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 Next →
  • Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base