Do you have a comment or suggestion to improve SQL Server? We’d love to hear it!

Unified Tools Page

PowerShell tools and modules for SQL Server are being kept separate from the other SQL Server tools - the tools for SQL Server are kept in so many different places that it is impossible to find them. For example, I need information on the SQLServer PowerShell module and what it can/can't do, but when I type SQL Server Tools into a search engine (whether Bing or Chrome), I do not get the right results and have to dig for answers. This should be easy. Please consolidate your tools into a fashion where people can find the right tool for the job quickly. Also, please stop assuming that our environments are connected to the internet - who the heck leaves their database server open to the internet? - direct us immediately to (or at least put a big note on the same page) a tutorial for hosting NuGet or other package managers in our environment. Putting this in dev does nothing if we cannot consistently deploy the tools to production tools servers.

1 vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

JM shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
An error occurred while saving the comment
  • AdminMicrosoft SQL Server (Product Manager, Microsoft Azure) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

hello JM

all the tools for Azure Data are listed under Tools section - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/tools/overview-sql-tools?view=sql-server-2017

including SQLServer module. I agree with you that most database servers are not connected to the internet. However, in our experience and in our discussions with customer, typically customers have a process for this. Such as a shared folder/site that hosts all the company approved downloads from servers to OS to tools that the company employees download from instead of every individual having to download the same tool over and over.

Having said that, we have been discussing about a "Tools pacakge" internally. Will share once we have more concrete details around it.

thank you for the feedback.

Dinakar

Feedback and Knowledge Base