Do you have a comment or suggestion to improve SQL Server? We’d love to hear it!

Put Debugger back into SSMS 18

The SSMS Debugger is critical for debugging complex T-SQL Queries, please return it to SSMS 18

160 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: oidc
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Joe shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

46 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: oidc
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Petr Pařík commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I totally agree. The debugger is a killer feature. I have not seen other RDBMS with such a thing. I wonder what was the reason for removing it. Anybody knows if MS plans to reintroduce it?

• Dan McGivney commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

SSMS debugger is critical to developing and troubleshooting complex stored procedure. Debugger is a must in t-sql .

• MHOA commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

SSMS 18 and 18.1 don't have function Debugger, I will rollback to 17.9.1 !!!

• weeeezzll commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use the debugger many times every single day to support dozens of SQL instances, hundreds of applications, and thousands of users. I could not do that without the debugger. The TSQL debugger turns a hours long support issue into a minutes long one. Virtually all of our business logic sits in stored procedures on SQL server. Some of our business processes exist entirely inside of SQL server with no outside application code. Just data pushed from PLCs to tables and jobs that tie it all together in a workflow.

This environment would be virtually impossible to support without a TSQL debugger in SSMS.

• JediSQL commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Visual Studio 2019 Community Edition has a SQL debugger that, according to a developer on my team that uses the SSMS debugger, is the same as the SSMS debugger.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Reminds me of when MS decided to change the Outlook icons to a 3rd graders icon.

Is it just me, or has MS started going backwards on everything?

• Maurice Pelchat commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with most comments, when you write procedural, imperative code you need a debugger. What is the solution we have now, guesswork, print trace, writing trace data to table? Sorry, this is even not possible with function (scalar or table).

Really a bad idea.

BTW Visual studio is a resource hog, so I don't want to add it to my computer for that kind of work.

• Ed commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Removal of the debugger renders stored procedures and triggers unsupportable.

I was forced to downgrade until I can find a functional alternative that does not require complex administration on the server to enable remote debugging in visual studio.

• Amanda commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My team works with a lot of complex t-sql procedures, and the debugger is a huge productivity win for troubleshooting. Deprecating this feature without providing a viable alternative was a bad move. I will not be using SSMS18, since the debugger is so critical to my workflows. Please add it back in an upcoming SP.

• Gigi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

bad, bad, bad idea. Remove debugger, who was the genius that had this idea?
    ADS is not actually an alternative to SSMS for administering and deploying on Sql Server, maybe in future, but when? In 5 years? And in the meantime?
    Maybe Visual Studio, but is not the speedest choice...
    The only way is SSMS 17.9... :-(

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It renders SSMS pretty much useless for me and my team ... presumably that is a conscious MS strategy - do we all now have to use VS?

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base