Do you have a comment or suggestion to improve SQL Server? We’d love to hear it!

SSDT for Visual Studio 2017 - Include as part of the VS 2017 Installer

Can we please pass over the SSDT components to the Visual Studio team so this can be included as part of the Visual Studio 2017 installation process?

The VS team can then build out the installer in a way that SSDT is always compatible with their latest build and installer. We've been stuck with the break fix break fix loop with SSDT and incompatibility with VS upgrades for too long now. The SSDT team doesn't respond quickly enough, the latest example being SSDT 15.6/VS 2017 15.7.x installation issue, why are we waiting so long for an installer update?

159 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

DiggaTheWolf shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree. I made the mistake of installing SSDT 8.2 on VS 2017 and now I can't uninstall it. No matter how many times or ways I try uninstalling SSDT and VS, when I reinstall vs I still see SSDT 8.2. This prevents me from installing older versions of SSDT. Back to 2015. Sigh....

• Henry Wyckoff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"The SSDT team doesn't respond quickly enough" -- I'd argue that the SSDT team doesn't respond at all. Their official blog hasn't been touched since April 2017 and they have been completely radio-silent for over a year.

• Todd Chittenden commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And these comments are only related to SSDT. What about SSRS and SSAS project types? Why do they have to be separate downloads? Why can they not be part of the Visual Studio install system? I should be able to check them off, as part of the 'Database Workloads"

• Dany Deroy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I work so hard the past 3 month to migrate from SSDT2008 to SSDT2017. And god, sometime I felt ashamed. We just stick with the version that work. No update because we never know what will break, again. I'm pretty sure that a good portion of the team have to work on fixing the installation and what was broken in the last release. So, no new tool or optimisation. Just fixing bugs.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

After spending a month at work trying to install this software. I highly recommend you avoid installing SSDT because it will trash your install. I've now spent days trying to fix this bug ridden install. Going back to 2015 SSDT.

• Curtis Gregson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I concur. I just started trying to get SSDT configured on a machine with VS 2017. Experiencing nothing but problems.
    After reading all the various comments and feedback, it probably better to give up now rather than bang my head against the wall. I don't have time to monkey around with this.. I have 'real' work to get done. It's June 2018 and SSDT for VS2017 is still sketchy, what is Microsoft doing??

• Philip XP Talbot commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So fed up with having to dance about trying to get SSDT working with VS all the time. Don't you guys actually test your stuff before release. At least if the SSDT components were handled by the VS team then this should put a stop to the installation nightmare.

Feedback and Knowledge Base