Do you have a comment or suggestion to improve SQL Server? We’d love to hear it!

Restore multiple instance support for Reporting services in SQL 2017

Please restore the multiple instance support per server for Reporting Services 2017. SQL Server reporting Services has supported multiple instances on one server in versions SQL 2000 thru 2016 and it was removed by design with the release of SQL 2017. This was a bad move as it will force my company to deploy 6X as many servers to deploy what is a lightweight application server.

I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the PowerBI integration with SSRS, but it also suffers from this bad decision as well.

Best Regards,
James Fuller
James.fuller@amwins.com

173 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

James Fuller shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

33 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
An error occurred while saving the comment
  • Sergio Sanz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please do what all my predecessors (and my self) are asking for.
    I'm administering hundreds of customer's SQL instances in 2008R2-2016 versions, and quite of them are SSRS servers installed in scale out pattern (behind a load balancer) with the same SSRS instances installed on every server.
    This allows to have different ports, configuration, administering, etc for every set of instances, serving to one application.
    With this new one-instance SSRS model we will not be able anymore to do so. Our clients are looking for other options.
    Thank you.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please restore this functionality. It is critical for our testing and deployment environments.

Please restore this functionality. It is critical for our testing and deployment environments.

+1. This was one of the differentiating features of SSRS compared to competing products. If it stays single-instance it will force my company to reevaluate SSRS as a solution.

• Jeff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This will cause my company to consider a different reporting tool. We are doing a new system implementation starting from scratch and we picked SQL Server 2017 because it was the latest and greatest, but this has stopped us in our tracks.

• Petr Pařík commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For us this is show-stopper for upgrade to SQL Server 2017. Our customers use SSRS named instances for separation of projects and for separation of environments (TEST, PROD, ...).

• WLPLaura commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We use multiple instances of SSRS on the same server to isolate our test from production and for applications that require a specific version/patch level of SSRS.

• Peter Row commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You chucked us under a bus when you change the way things work when implementing a custom security DLL if we need non-Windows auth. Now I come to investigate that problem and find you've pulled this stunt, unbelievable!!!!!!!!!

Add it back now, no please, just ******** do! So angry right now.

Please add this back in. We run many instances of SSRS 2016 on one server in a test environment. I really don't want to create a VM for each instance especially with as light of load as ssrs has during testing.

2 Next →

Feedback and Knowledge Base