Do you have a comment or suggestion to improve SQL Server? We’d love to hear it!

Restore multiple instance support for Reporting services in SQL 2017

Please restore the multiple instance support per server for Reporting Services 2017. SQL Server reporting Services has supported multiple instances on one server in versions SQL 2000 thru 2016 and it was removed by design with the release of SQL 2017. This was a bad move as it will force my company to deploy 6X as many servers to deploy what is a lightweight application server.

I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the PowerBI integration with SSRS, but it also suffers from this bad decision as well.

Best Regards,
James Fuller
James.fuller@amwins.com

171 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

James Fuller shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

32 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please restore this functionality. It will force my company to explore other products.

• Rahul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please restore this functionality. We like many others use it a lot.
    Without it will force us (and I am sure many others) to explore other options instead of spending more for SQL Server and other licenses.

• Tom Dzembo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Fully concur with comments below. This new direction will result in unnecessary "server proliferation" and wastes computing power. Last I knew, most computers (servers) were architected as "general purpose" devices. This change suggests the need for a dedicated "appliance" to run reports.
    While fixing this, also figure out how to extend the same to the "Reporting Extensions Option" required by MS Dynamics (and possibly other MS products where SSRS use is "embedded" in the install). This option has required the same limitation (1 instance per server) in prior Sql Server versions. Again, it kills our ability to consolidate reporting services when the requirements are crying out to do so.

• Nalli, Mark (ITS) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Restore this functionality!!! Like many others, this will result in excessive VM's, Licensing, and $$$$. Will force moving away from SSRS. If that was what you were after by doing this, then keep it - and bye bye.

• Penguin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This also breaks the ability to use a single reporting server for System Center applications, as SCOM requires (at least required) a separate instance of SSRS because it munted the instance to be specifically for SCOM.

• Jakub Urban commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Insane. no more comments needed.
    Another funny thing is that in the SSRS 2017 documentation, there is not mentioned support to host SSRS databases on SSDE 2017. LOL

• Iain Herdman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Upgrading our three SQL 2014 Enterprise instances to 2017, and want separate SSRS databases to follow the logical structure we have. Feel totally screwed over by the "new" 2017 setup where as far as I can see, you can forget an SSRS instance per SQL instance. Everything in one container? Not likely!
    We have been considering going over to MS Power BI hence the update to SQL Server 2017. With new SSRS functionality working together with Power BI this seemed logical. No longer… looks like we stick with Cognos.
    This is such a major change, how on earth to you make a decision like this without checking with users?
    Please let us make our own choices how to setup our systems!

Cheers
    Iain

• John Zabroski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi,

I believe I have discovered an alternative path forward today: Docker containers.

The following article explains how to use Docker containers to create multiple SSRS instances on the same machine: http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/containers/178448/ - In theory, all you need to do is bind the exposed port for SSRS to a unique port for each container instance.

I had stumbled upon this answer today while trying to figure out how to create repeatable test environment for Microsoft's Powershell Module ReportingServicesTools, and it occurred to me this would be a cheap way to also do multiple instances of SSRS on the same machine.

NOTE: I have not yet tested this, just sharing my clever idea with everyone.

• Barry McCauley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just reployed 3x SQL 2017 instances, before finding this out.

Now destroying them and rebuilding as 2016. Blocking use of SQL2017 across the business now.
    Why, Microsoft, why?
    *shakes fist at the sky*

• Juan Manuel Ramirez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We use multiple instance feature in previous versions of SQL Server, we're unable to upgrade to SQL Reporting Services 2017.

Please restore this feature...

Add my voice to this.
    Not allowing multiple instances in reporting services has prevented a number of my data center customers from upgrading to SQL Server 2017.
    Discouraging customers from upgrading is not a great Microsoft idea.

So will M$ compensate us now for the additional VM's we have to spin up ?
    Who the.. came up with this idea ? Please add it back asap!

We have several databases running inside our sql instance in the app when we change the database connection and call to the report server instance, we change the report server instance that we call to depending on the database our app is looking at. On 2016 we installed a different SSRS instance with all the report databases pointing to the correct report databases and app data.
    We need this restored. Thanks

• John Zabroski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think I'll just push us to us AWS bi tools if this is how Microsoft wants to treat customers.

Bad design. Needs to recheck. Multi instance SSRS is required otherwise I'd have to spin up extra VMs just for SSRS. Not ideal.

• Shawn C commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Under review on "Feb 5, 2018"? Today is Nov 21st 2018.

What do you expect us to do with SSRS? Stop using it? Use if for free?

• Shawn C commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

1. This blocks my deployment of SQL Server 2017 database engine. I need SSRS to be the same version for some apps.
    2. I require total isolation of SSRS instances for security

I assume it's now free to use and I can install anywhere I want with no cost, on all the indivudal app servers instead of a shared BI servers?

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base