Do you have a comment or suggestion to improve SQL Server? We’d love to hear it!

Dark Theme for SQL Server Management Studio 2017 (SSMS 2017)

Dark Theme works well in Visual Studio and should be included in SSMS. It helps reduce eye strain after long periods of development and debugging.

627 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Tauheedul Ali shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

40 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Chris Jordan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Themes that are too light and bright hurt my eyes. I can't believe you guys won't work on a dark theme. How much effort could it really take? A bunch of the work seems to already be done. We just need to go into ssms.pkgundef and comment out that last line. Why not just finish what was started?
    Seriously... how much could it possibly cost?

• Daniel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This was in the preview but taken out? I'd rather have the preview then. This GA is gross.

• Eric Hutton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add to the plan!!! Why roll it out in the prerelease versions for 18, then take it back for GA?!?! I'm going to roll back my installation. Yes, I know you can hack ssms.pkgundef - but I don't have admin privileges on my work machine, so I can't do that... no problems getting permission to install release candidates though... go figure.

• Mark Radcliffe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why is Microsoft ignoring their customers most voted for feature? Sure this is only for a 2017 version but it should have been done in the new version which updated to using a new shell. There is hardly any extra work to be done. Just complete it!

• Chris Bass commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Vladimir
    I never said that it was a replacement and it depends on your way of working. I'm a developer so a lot of the functionality that SSMS offers is wasted on me.

• Vladimir Moldovanenko commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Chris Brass, Azure Data Studio is not replacement for SSMS. It is the latest fad from Microsoft and misses a lot of functionality yet to be its replacement. For example, right click over any table key, index or trigger, the only option available is 'refresh'. Where are all others?
    I have been using SSMS for the last 25 years, it works for the most part and dark mode should just be added to it. For me personally this is not a deal breaker though and lack of it would not make me switch to Azure Data Studio. I will reevaluate Azure Data Studio in couple years when it matures more.

• Chris Bass commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you are using SSMS for Dev work not actual managing the server then have a look at Azure Data Studio.
    Despite its name it connects to sql server and not only has a dark mode ((it has a number of them) but has extensions and an intellisense that actually works.
    I suspect that this is why there will never be a dark mode on SSMS 2017. It's code base is not current

• James Cane commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please, please, please, please, please.

This is low hanging fruit for you guys. The UI colour scheme is really important to user experience, even though it may seem trivial. SSMS should have had a dark mode years ago and it's somewhat shameful that it still doesn't have one in 2019.

• Michael Anderson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

-Noticed that SSMS 18 RC1 was out
    -Got excited and read release notes
    -Interesting but no mention of dark theme
    -Searched Dark Theme or colors, etc -- no luck
    -Noticed User Voice link in release notes -> Hey i'm going to take time and tell them this would be the most meaningful and useful change in my day to day.
    -Clicked User voice -> Highest Voted topic = Dark Theme = Yeah!!
    -Read unplanned = Booo

It's all been said here, just adding to the chorus. All my dev's here would absolutely love dark theme as we do with most other MS products.

• Chris Porter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Every tool in my toolbox from Visual Studio, VS Code, Sublime, Ultraedit, GitKraken, Insomnia, Bash, etc. has a dark mode. The program manager of SSMS that is halting effort on completing dark mode should respond here and not hide behind "Microsoft SQL Server (Product Manager, Microsoft Azure)". This is the highest voted item on the SQL Server feedback system by a good margin. The next 17 items are marked as Under Review or Planned. The next item that is left in Unplanned status is another 109 voted entry for dark mode.

What other indication do you need that Dark Mode is an important feature that your users want/need? We've waited (reasonably) patiently for years and when we finally get it the feature is half completed and buggy. I've been a firm supporter of MSSQL for 20+ years and every time I see dark mode ignored I'm less and less interested in using MSSQL in my solutions. There are many other options and they grow more reverent daily while MS ignores its developers.

GG PM

• David Warner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No improvements in 18.0 RC1 - the Object Explorer tree view and the Results list are still light, and context menus still lack contrast.

• vamshee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Very disappointed to see that MS doesn't support Dark theme in SSMS as a default option.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base