Do you have a comment or suggestion to improve SQL Server? We’d love to hear it!

Dark Theme for SQL Server Management Studio 2017 (SSMS 2017)

Dark Theme works well in Visual Studio and should be included in SSMS. It helps reduce eye strain after long periods of development and debugging.

316 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Tauheedul Ali shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

19 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Vladimir Rech commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dark mode was a good addition. Althought, in build 15.0.18068 the context menu in Object Explorer Windows kept the fonts in black. So... I can use it...

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Really need all UI components to be dark mode, especially object explorer, query results, and the menus.

• dazga commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Unplanned?! This is one of the most voted ideas for SQL Server. As the main GUI to interact with SQL Server a Dark Theme is most important.

• tslin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is really weird that the response is "Unplanned". There must be something we don't know. It could be either the base application was written poorly that no one dare to touch and make changes or MS just ignore what it is need for most of us out there.

Since windows 10 Oct 2018 update (1809), file explorer has been 95% successfully integrated with dark theme. First I thought, MS is not doing dark theme in SSMS is because they will have to update win32 shell thus it will impact all other components. But that's not it. New file explorer is dark alone by itself. Other win32 applications are still the same. So, what is the reason?

This feature has been requesting again and again by many of us for a long time and we always ended with nothing.

Those, who need fully applied dark theme could give https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/azure-data-studio/what-is?view=sql-server-2017 but the feature are limited compared to SSMS (no table designer, database designer, column properties, etc...) But for light use, you can use it.

I'm currently installing the SSMS 2018 preview and I find it odd that the setup experience is using a dark theme by default, but supporting dark theme in SSMS is still "unplanned"

• Wilmer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is very incomprehensible, given that most of the Microsoft products supports (are "Planned" to support) dark themes. I understand that maybe you will need to update lots of dialogues screens, but you could at least update some of the main components/windows like object explorer, results, messages, etc.

I think that one of the things you could do is open the code for management studio and I'm sure that the community will do the job.

• Paul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Very disappointed the current dark theme was not finished to include Object Explorer and Query Results. Not seeing how that those two things would be so tough to accomplish..

• OzBobWa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please reconsider finishing the dark mode for SSMS. Its so much easier on the eyes than the old fashioned blue/light theme.

• Peter Row commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft - why does windows 10 have a built in option for dark mode? If it's not worth the effort in SSMS why is it worth it in windows? Oh that's right because that's what a lot of people want!!!

The thing that really ****** me off with these unplanned responses you keep giving is that you're 90% done. By enabling dark theme by tweaking the config files the only thing that is wrong is the colours on 2nd level context menus, how hard can it be to fix that? Seriously!

Further more why not just rewrite SSMS using the visual studio IDE code base as that already does context menus correctly. Moving forward you'd then have a shared code base.

• Aaron Nelson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I realize that a true "Dark Theme" would cost tons of engineering hours because of all the dialog boxes. However, would it at least be possible to have some way to enable a "dark~ish theme" that was only applied to the Query Pane / Query Results, Object Explorer, Object Explorer Details, and Registered Servers? Those take the bulk of the screen-real estate on my monitors, and I could deal with all the dialog boxes being light still.

• Ricardo Leka commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft don´t care about create SSMS with Dark Theme, they say is too much work to be done.
        If any one have 2 monitors you can try https://zerowidthjoiner.net/negativescreen the project have a version to multiple monitors users, than you can switch the negative screen in one and use the SSMS there,,, the SSMS become a very nice app on Dark.

• NateJ_CU commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Needs so much more upvotes. The built-in yet unexposed Dark theme is half-baked; 2nd-level context menus don't have the right font color, but a lot of it does work well. Just FINISH THE JOB!

• Daniel Jaquez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be a great feature for those of us with difficulty seeing stuff with light colored background.

• Steven Hibble commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there a technical hurdle for this? I thought SSMS was built on top of Visual Studio, which does have a dark theme - right?

Feedback and Knowledge Base