Do you have a comment or suggestion to improve SQL Server? We’d love to hear it!

binary or string data would be truncated => error message enhancments

if you have that error (in production), it's not obvious to see which column or row this error comes from, and how to locate it exactly.
it's even more complicated if it's coming from a trigger, for example, and not the original insert/update.

I have seen that oracle meanwhile gives clear information which column the error is raising, which actual data length was passed, and the column's max size.

1,136 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

AdminMicrosoft SQL Server (Admin, Microsoft Azure) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

93 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Ricardo Russi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just this week i spent hours to detect what column originates truncation of data in some stored procedure. Will be awesome had information about the column that originates problem of that kind. Thanks in advance.

• Soar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

pls fix this problem,the sql server given message is no help for solove the error.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

20 years later, nobody uses columns any more... datatypes.... what are those? I use quantum dataflops in a mrfusion reactor...

Seriously though. The fact that this is being worked on is fantastic

• DWalker07 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yay! I opened the original item (in Connect) many, many years ago. Glad to see this is getting some traction. Thank you.

• JoeD commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yay, it's being planned! Can't wait for SQL Server 2023 to get it!

• Chris Bailiss commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Still makes me laugh/cry that this hasn't been resolved given the length of time SQL Server has been around. Think what all those DBA's and Devs could have done in that time had this been resolved ten or twenty years ago!

• Manjuke Fernando commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It’s good that if the table,column and the data which is causing can be hinted. I guess it’s bit complex that the actual validation isn’t possible during query parsing in case we are inserting multiple rows. But this feature is a must since as Engineers it leaves clueless for us as well.

• bob kennelly commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

yes this is a must feature as right now i have to generate hundreds of TryConvert queries one every field in advance of doing a data migration in order to know specifically which field is causing the current "generic" error message, many thanks in advance!

• Chris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So as-of July, 2018, at least 1080 users were frustrated enough with this issue to search & find this topic, sign-up and vote as something that should be fixed. Assuming that they were able to find their way to the new Azure voice feedback site...

The number of hours wasted by the community diagnosing this is ridiculous compared to both the time required to alleviate the problem and the MS development time for other non-essential features.

• DWalker07 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Small point.. The error message actually says "String or binary data would be truncated". The headline has the phrases backwards.

• Kirk Riz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please. It would eliminate having to write C# script in SSIS to get the information

• Robin Wilson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be so helpful and save so much time. Obviously SQL Server knows which column hit the error but the details of the caught error are not passed back to the user leading you to have to keep removing columns until you figure it out.

• Jane commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Amen! Much better ways to spend our time than chasing this when it happens.

• [Deleted User] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hard to believe this is STILL an issue. It has been irritating sql developers forever and it is clearly obvious that the engine can tell which column(s) are causing the issue. Such a useless generic error message that could be turned into such a helpful thing so easily.

• Bob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

a more "Oracle Like" error message would be greatly appreciated. I just spent 1/2 day tracking one of these down. What a pain.

• LeftCoastJames commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This issue has plagued me since my introduction to SQL Server some 20 years ago (SQL Server 6.5). An enhancement is loooong overdue. Just knowing what column overflowed would be sooo much better.

← Previous 1 3 4 5

Feedback and Knowledge Base