Do you have a comment or suggestion to improve SQL Server? We’d love to hear it!

"A severe error occurred on the current command. The results, if any, should be discarded." with MERGE and OUTPUT

Getting error on Windows 8.1 and

Microsoft SQL Server 2012 (SP2-CU7) (KB3072100) - 11.0.5623.0 (X64)
Jul 9 2015 12:03:12
Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation
Developer Edition (64-bit) on Windows NT 6.3 <X64> (Build 9600: )

0 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

AdminMicrosoft SQL Server (Product Manager, Microsoft Azure) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 1

<=-=Sep 30 2015 8:10AM=-=>

I can reproduce this on any SQL 2012 server I try(4 servers). How is it that you cannot? Are you even trying on SQL 2012? it works on 2014.

<=-=Sep 30 2015 2:29PM=-=>

Hi Vladimir. Sorry, the comment I entered for some reason did not show, so I am reposting it: “This issue does not repro on SQL 2014. If possible, please upgrade to SQL Server 2014. Otherwise, please contact Microsoft Support (CSS) in order to request a hotfix.”

<=-=Oct 1 2015 5:11AM=-=>

1. I clearly logged this issue against 2012, see version in details, not against 2014.
2. According to https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle?c2=1044, mainstream support ends only on 7/11/2017, couple years away
3. I am sure you can reproduce on 2012 and therefore should acknowledge it. So this connect item status is not correct. It is reproduced, and if you choose not to fix, then use your “Won’t fix”.
4. we have couple hundreds of manufacturing factories running SQL Server and it’s not as simple as you suggest.
5. We would push for 2014 upgrade but only when you fix cardinality estimator. See https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/Feedback/Details/1199725

<=-=Oct 2 2015 8:19AM=-=>

I am sorry for the confusion – I have reached out to our SQL 2012 servicing team. We have identified the problem in SQL 2012 (which, as I previously noted, was fixed as part of SQL 2014 RTM). There are some additional changes involved in order to fix it in SQL 2012, so we cannot provide a fix soon without high risk.

I have reactivated the defect, so we can track this issue and hopefully address it in future.

On a separate note, we will investigate the CE issue for which you have filled a separate connect.

<=-=Oct 2 2015 9:09AM=-=>

Thank you.
Particularly for looking at cardinality issue. It’s a serious problem for us and we cannot be asking our 200+ customers that use SQL Server to upgrade to 2014 due to this issue. Some have upgraded but we keep db compatibility at 2012 for these.

I like the fact that Microsoft improved cardinality estimator in 2014(I have seen it produce better results) but as sr. database architect for software company I cannot sign off on our customers using 2014 mode due to issues like this. I cannot afford using QUERYTRACEON for this.
I do not know of other issues with CE but this issue I know and it is a major stumbling block for us.

0 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...

Feedback and Knowledge Base