Do you have a comment or suggestion to improve SQL Server? We’d love to hear it!

Cannot join database to AG using GUI if replica SQL Instance is not running on default port 1433

I am running a cluster of 2 nodes where the SQL service is not running on the default port 1433. When I try to add a database to the AG using GUI I get stuck at �Connect to Existing Secondary Replicas� window. I click on Connect but the �Connect to Server� login form has the server name with no port specified and I cannot modify it as it is grayed out.

Similar issue when the replica has multiple IPs and you specify the SQL instance to listen to a certain IP. When connecting to existing Secondary replicas you might get �Instance Failure� error. This is not always happening; it depends on which IP you get connected to.

Workaround is to join the new database using sql scripts.
Another workaround (not very practical) is to remove the replicas, join the DB on the primary, and then add the replicas again.

7 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

AdminMicrosoft SQL Server (Product Manager, Microsoft Azure) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...

Feedback and Knowledge Base