Do you have a comment or suggestion to improve SQL Server? We’d love to hear it!

SSMS 17 Tools > Options > Environment > Fonts and Colors missing Display items

In a generic SSMS 17.2 install on a Windows 7 64-bit workstation, if I open Tools > Options > Environment > Fonts and Colors, I only get 3 items in the 'Display items:' list: Plain Text, Selected Text, and Inactive Selected Text. I have no options to change anything else. In my SSMS 2016 install, I have over 200 items in the 'Display items:' pick list. Comparison screenshot here: https://imgur.com/a/XiGMm

I have tried resetting all settings to default in the Import and Export Settings Wizard. No change.

18 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

AdminMicrosoft SQL Server (Product Manager, Microsoft Azure) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

12 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Mitch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, PLEASE fix this. I have the same four options in the 'Show Settings For' dropdown; 'Text Editor' is missing. Thanks!

• PY commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please fix this as it seems to be an issue with SSMS installed on a server. The results are way too small to be shown on a projector and would like to be bigger please

• Rob Wittner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm seeing this problem on more than a half-dozen installs on Windows 10. Install Windows 10, then install Visual Studio 2017 Pro, then SQL Server Express + SSMS. Result: minimal customization options. This has been going on for months. Please fix this!

• Mikael Wedham commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also have had the same issue. And still do. Installed yesterday with same result.
        The things available in Options - Fonts and Colors are:
        [All Text Tool Windows]
        Command Window
        [Watch, Locals, and Autos Tool Windows]
        Autos Window
        CallStack Window
        Importing settings from a really old SSMS where I could change and export works, but I would really like to be able to change the settings myself.
        1. I installed a lot of versions up to ( and including 17.9) on a Clean reset Windows 10 OS.
        2. I have upgraded also on other Machines - only full install package.

Never uninstalled and reinstalled. I reset the entire OS.

• David Austin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What does it take to get this fixed?
        This is a simple bug.
        It's now 5 months later and no update.

• SAinCA commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

SAME ISSUE - brand new Windows Server 2016 Standard. Added SQL 2017 Developer. Added SSMS 17.0 (becuase of this very issue on other boxes), then 17.6. NO TEXT EDITOR FONTS AND COLORS! Updated to 17.7 - SAME! Uninstalled, rebooted, reinstalled 17.7 full - SAME: NOTHING!

Uninstalled - again!

Installed SSMS 16.5.3 - THERE THEY ARE!!!

Installed 17.7 - there they ARE NOT!!!

Why, oh why, oh why, cannot a simple install do what it is supposed to...

PROBLEM HAS BEEN ONGOING SINCE v17 came out. Some of my team are utterly exasperated with this foul up and resigned to zero customization, the worst of which is being STUCK with a glaring white query background. That is no fun...

Please fix this once and for all...

Feedback and Knowledge Base