Do you have a comment or suggestion to improve SQL Server? We’d love to hear it!

Add a function that returns the tsql_stack

In sys.dm_exec_requests you have a sql_handle, statement_start_offset, and statement_end_offset. This can be used to give you the currently executing stored procedure / function and statement.

It would be nice if you also could get the complete callstack. This information is available as xml in the extended event action [tsql_stack].

I would like to have a function that takes session_id and request_id as parameters, and returns the tsql_stack.

3 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

AdminMicrosoft SQL Server (Product Manager, Microsoft Azure) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 6

<=-=Sep 20 2017 1:09PM=-=>

So this is generalisation of my item http://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/2781373. Provided that the DMV is implemented so that the current spid and request can get its stack without VIEW SERVER STATE, the function Ola calls for, meet my needs to.

<=-=Jan 3 2018 8:31AM=-=>

Thanks for the suggestion. We’ll keep this item open for future consideration.

0 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...

Feedback and Knowledge Base