Do you have a comment or suggestion to improve SQL Server? We’d love to hear it!

SSMS - Right-click menu option to "Design" tables configured as Temporal Tables is missing

I am using the new Temporal Table feature on certain tables in my database.

When I navigate to such tables via SSMS Object Explorer, I have found that the "Design" right-click menu option is not present for Temporal Tables. (Or as SSMS labels them, "System-Versioned" tables.)

The "Design" option is, however, still available for NON-temporal tables.

11 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: oidc
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

AdminMicrosoft SQL Server (Product Manager, Microsoft Azure) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 0

<=-=Mar 7 2017 2:10AM=-=>

Thank you for taking time to post this issue!
I can confirm that Design option in SSMS Object Explorer is not available for temporal (system-versioned) tables.
Unfortunately, we do not plan to include a fix for this issue in the upcoming release.
We might include it as an improvement in a future release, though.
How important for you is to have this option available for temporal tables?

8 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: oidc
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Travis Kale commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Considering so many informational items can be discovered through the design tab, this needs fixed. I don't always use the design window to alter the table, I may want to look at the description/extended properties of a column. I don't want to have to write a query to do this.

• Klaus Oberdalhoff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this is a "bug" not a "feature" as i see it.

here an ugly workaround i found by chance:

if using temporal tables i always create the temporal table as mytable_history.

So if you open the tree for that table it shows always at first the temporal table name. If you right-click the mouse on THAT temporal table it SHOWS the select nnn rows and edit nnn rows

So if you create the script it obviously contains the same column names - just with wrong "from" so i just delete that string "_history" and execute that. And VOILA i now HAVE my select on the table i wanted ...

mfg Klaus

• Philip commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature is still not available in v17.8.1 of SSMS.

This is an important feature to add; to be able to design and modify a system-versioned temporal table in the SSMS visual designer would be extremely helpful, and would reduce the amount of time required to make changes to temporal tables.

Feedback and Knowledge Base