Do you have a comment or suggestion to improve SQL Server? We’d love to hear it!

SQL Server 2017 on Linux ignores app config file if it exists, or sometimes locks-up if it doesn't (SQLCLR)

Running SQL Server 2017 RC2 on Ubuntu 16.04 in a VirtualBox VM.

I am trying to read from the application config file in a SQLCLR scalar UDF. If the config file -- /opt/mssql/bin/sqlservr.Config (the "C" must be upper-case) -- exists, the first execution will return an error, but additional executions will completely ignore what is in this file and return only one entry: the .NET default ConnectionString.

On the other hand, if the config file does not exist, OR if the name of the file changes, then _sometimes_ the first execution will get that same error, but a second execution will never return. And Control-C will not kill sqlcmd. Hitting Control-Z and then either "kill -1 %1" or "kill -3 %1" will not end the process. Only "kill -9 %1" ends it. Also, "kill -15 pid" does not work, nor does "systemctl stop mssql-server". HOWEVER, I am now not able to reproduce this, even though I could do it consistently for 2 days. Strange.

1 vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

AdminMicrosoft SQL Server (Admin, Microsoft Azure) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...

Feedback and Knowledge Base