Do you have a comment or suggestion to improve SQL Server? We’d love to hear it!

Search box in SSMS Object Explorer

Please add a search box in SSMS Object Explorer similar to what Visual Studio has in the Solution Explorer! It should include autocomplete and the robust filtering abilities (by database, by object type, by schema)

It is extremely slow to constantly have to navigate through the tree to find the objects you want. I just want to type where I want to go.

86 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

AdminMicrosoft SQL Server (Product Manager, Microsoft Azure) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Eric Renken commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Doesn't almost everyone expand out the database list anyway? We use SQL Azure DBs and Elastic Pools. I have about 5,000 DB on one server. I NEED a fast way to search for databases. You basically have it when I click on Databases I can click the filter button and enter a name to value for the name contains. Why can't you just take this to a higher level, so I don't have to click on the filter button and open this big dialog?

• Sam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"Object Explorer doesn’t populate the entire tree in memory, unlike visual studio’s solution explorer"

So? This doesn't seem like a very big problem.

Make it asynchronously load the entire tree when the application starts so you can have a decent search. This is zero reason why doing this is not possible.

Having a great user experience (through search capabilities) is much more important than trying to make decisions performance decisions on your customers behalf.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

seriously! only 12 votes? would a built in function not be so much better than a 3rd party add-on?

Feedback and Knowledge Base