Do you have a comment or suggestion to improve SQL Server? We’d love to hear it!

Add COLUMN keyword to the ADD COLUMN SYNTAX (as alternate)

The problem is that it is wierd that
ALTER TABLE
ALTER COLUMN
is the syntax for altering,
ALTER TABLE
DROP COLUMN
is the syntax for dropping, but
ALTER TABLE
ADD COLUMN
is NOT the syntax for adding a column.

0 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

AdminMicrosoft SQL Server (Admin, Microsoft Azure) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  AdminMicrosoft SQL Server (Admin, Microsoft Azure) responded  · 

Upvotes: 24

<=-=Sep 13 2006 10:12AM=-=>

Hi,
    Thanks for the suggestion. Yes there is an inconsistency in ALTER TABLE syntax for adding columns. We will look into fixing this in the next release.

Thanks,
    - Balaji Rathakrishnan
    Group Program Manager
    Microsoft SQL Server

<=-=Nov 14 2007 11:19AM=-=>

Hi,

We are tracking this request as a part of another item and we will consider fixing this in a future release.

Thanks,
    -Vineet Rao

<=-=Aug 29 2008 7:31AM=-=>

Reopened as it was marked closed-fixed, yet it still works the same way in 2008.

<=-=Oct 16 2008 3:07AM=-=>

I find it interesting that SQL Server Compact Edition 3.5 allows a “ALTER TABLE tbl ADD COLUMN col1” command, even if the COLUMN keyword is not documented in the ALTER TABLE syntax (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms174123.aspx).

<=-=Dec 27 2008 8:13AM=-=>

Consistency is everything. I am sure that most people type ‘add column’ like I do, then go back and change it when it won’t execute and curse themselves (and MS).

<=-=Jan 15 2010 1:00PM=-=>

Hi Louis,
    Thanks for your feedback. I have marked this as duplicate of another feedback item in our system. This item was opened using an older bug tracking system and there is some issues in dealing with that cleanly. So as a result, I had to mark this one as duplicate.

Umachandar, SQL Programmability Team

0 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...