SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server 2017 powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server 2017 brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. SMO Enumerations slow with hundreds of databases

SMO Enumeration is notoriously slow, especially if a SQL Server contains hundreds or thousands of databases. This is impacting our project and we have to get around it by creating new objects that are populated by T-SQL.

I know this is a known issue. Can it be revisited?

37 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

4 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi, thanx for the feedback.
    As Ben points out, if you know which fields on the Database object you need, you can use Server.SetDefaultInitFields to make sure the collection is initialized with all those fields in the first query.

Is there a particular scenario, using the latest SMO NuGet, where use of SetDefaultInitFields isn’t sufficient to speed up the query noticeably?
    If you have an Intellitrace or XEvents trace I could use for reference it’d be a great help.

2. dark theme

please fix the dark theme problem. thankyou

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. SMO NuGet packages do not work reliably due to a GAC dependency on SqlServer.BatchParser.dll

SMO is now distributed via NuGet... https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/relational-databases/server-management-objects-smo/installing-smo

That's fantastic. But there is a problem here.

Distributing builds to client machines will fail during some operations (such as database restore), because there is a dependency on SqlServer.BatchParser.dll, which, even though is deployed, it fails with the error: Microsoft.SqlServer.BatchParser.dll or one of its dependencies cannot be loaded.

From what I can tell, this assembly must be in the GAC in order to load properly, meaning you either need to install Visual Studio 2017 (which seemed to do the trick for some reason?) or install the old SMO MSI installers.

So, currently you…

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Setup + Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’ve released 17224 with a few changes to the layout and targets.
    Now it places the 64bit DLL in runtimes\win-x64\native and uses the $(PlatformTarget) variable to pick up the right binary.

PreserveNewest Microsoft.SqlServer.BatchParser.dll

I don’t see any external dependencies in microsoft.sqlserver.batchparser.dll that would indicate it could be trying to load another native DLL that could be of the wrong bitness. Can you check whether this new package meets your needs for 64bit?

4. SSMS 17.1 Add New Firewall Rule Error Code 401: Add IP when logging into Azure DB for the first time.

The title says it all.
    New SSMS install on new PC, to new DB on new Azure SQL Server.� Prompted to Log in to Azure, OK.
    'New Firewall Rule' dialog Prompts to add firewall rule to Azure, OK. Click OK and get error
    "An error occurred while creating a new firewall rults (HTTP Status Code 401)) (ConnectionDlg)"

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Sorry folks, but we are not able to repro this issue (either using SSMS 17.9.1 or SSMS 18 Preview 7).

Since multiple people out there are reporting this issue, it is obvious that we are missing something that is specific to your environment or configuration.

Could you help us out and try to describe a little better your subscription/environment/account/permissions?

For example, does the following mainstream scenario works for you all:
    1) Connect to Azure Portal
    2) Create SQL server+database
    3) Go to SSMS and connect to
    4) Add firewall rule

If it does, then can you identify what is different between the case where it works and the case where it does not?

Thanks,
    -Matteo

5. SSDT Schema Compare is too slow

I'm trying to put my Microsoft Dynamics GP custom SQL objects into an SSDT database project. To seed the project as well
    as ensure that the objects in my client's database agree with my source code, I ran a Schema Compare.

It took about 90 MINUTES (i.e. 1.5 HOURS) to show me the list of differences. This is most likely due to the ~45,000 "zDP_*"
    stored procs.

Once the list of objects came up, I was able to start checking the boxes. I selected a contiguous range of 8 objects, right-
    clicked, and selected "Include". It took 75 seconds to…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

That’s for the feedback!

We are tried to reproduce this issue, but unfortunately we were not able to repro it. Could you please provide more information for the following:

1. Which version of Visual Studio is used? (More Specific Version will be useful)
    2. What is Source and Target? (Example: SSDT Project / Remote SQL Server DB / Azure DB / Local DB)
    3. What are the SQL Object in the Databases?
    4. How much objects are there in source and much in target?
    5. During Schema Compare does it hangs or crashes?
    6. How complex is the 45,000 Stored Procedure in the database?
    7. If the there is a crash/hang, could you capture a (32bit) dump of the process and share it with us (OneDrive, etc…)?

Here’s the list of the scenarios we tried so far:

Scenario 1:
    1. Imported 45,000 Stored Procedures in the SSDT project as source…

6. SSMS Crash Faulting module name ucrtbase.dll Exception code 0xc0000409

I also have a memory dump if necessary.

Faulting application name: Ssms.exe, version: 2017.140.17199.0, time stamp: 0x59d44f4f
    Faulting module name: ucrtbase.dll, version: 10.0.14393.1770, time stamp: 0x59bf2b5a
    Exception code: 0xc0000409
    Fault offset: 0x000891cb
    Faulting process id: 0x263c
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d39909f6e1ea59
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\140\Tools\Binn\ManagementStudio\Ssms.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\ucrtbase.dll
    Report Id: 07a53298-3a3f-4a67-97f7-5a15f1dd1cb1
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I’m not able to repro this issue in both SSMS 18.0 (current development bits) and SSMS 17.9.1.

I tried to follow the repro outlined by @Mattias’ below. My steps:
    1) Install SSDT 15.8.2
    2) Create simple SSIS package and converted to Package Deployment Model
    3) Added simple “Send Mail” Task (minimal info, but enough to try to connect and send e/mail)
    4) Rebuild and generated .dtsx file
    5) Open SSMS, navigate to SSISDB node
    6) Create new folder F1
    7) Right clicked on Projects and selected “Import Packages…”
    8) Pointed the wizard to the .dtsx file and let it do the conversion (.dtsx → .ispac)
    9) Then, I continued the wizard do to the deployment
    10) No crashes observed: I was even able to run the package.

Could you review my steps and see if I’m doing anything differently? FWIW, my server was SQL2017 (latest CU).

7. SSMS Export to Results Excel

Create an Export to Excel function on the results grid that works. Includes headers and line breaks within columns. Sets up Excel columns with the correct data type (numbers, dates, text, etc)

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. SQL Server Management Studio Needs Folders for Jobs

Expand the Agent's Jobs folder and what a mess you will see especially if you are also using SQL Server Reporting Services.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. SQL Server 2017 17.8.1 Removed Font Options

SQL Server 2017 17.8.1 bug broke the Fonts and Colors selector. There are now only 5 options to select fonts. I would be ok with 1 option, if it was for minimum font size, but now setting All Text Tool Windows is not enough to increase the font size in the Database Explorer, Object Explorer or all menu items I can't read now.

There used to be an Environment Font, and well as 15 other fonts I had to set, and I complained about having to set too many options before, so thank you for getting rid of the options,…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Could you answer a few questions:
    1) Did you install SSMS 17.8.1 on a clean machine, i.e. without any previous version of SSMS 17.x on it?
    2) If not, did you upgrade by installing the Full install package or the Upgrade install package?
    3) If you upgraded, what version you had before the upgrade?
    4) Could you zip up the TEMP\SSMSSetup folder and share it with us?

Finally: did you try to uninstall SSMS and reinstall it? Did it change anything?

10. 5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

need-feedback  ·  4 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. SQL Server Management Studio 18RC1 status bar colors are missing

The status bar color in SQL Server Management Studio 18RC1 is colorless. It should be pink for multi server connections and khaki for singe server connections.

I can go into Tools, Options, Text Editor, Editor Tab and Status Bar and set it but the status bar will reverted to colorless the next time SSMS is opened,

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. SSMS 18.0 quits itself

SSMS 18.0 RC1
    I have now installed RC1 after version 18.0 Preview 7 (uninstalled). When I now show the Registered Servers at View, the SSMS starts to work and quits itself. Is the bug only with me? I haven't found anything about it on the net.
    Preview 7 works properly!

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Could you try to capture a dump of the process when it dies?

1. Download ProcDump (https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/dd996900.aspx)
    2. Unzip the download into a folder of your choosing
    3. Open a cmd prompt (Win+R, type cmd, hit enter)
    4. Run the following command:

\procdump.exe -e -h -ma -w ssms.exe

(It should prompt you to accept a license agreement, click Agree)

5. Start SSMS if not started already
    6. Repro issue
    7. Text should appear in the cmd prompt about writing the dump file, wait for that to finish
    8. Create a new folder and copy the *.dmp file that is written out to that folder
    9. Copy the following files into the same folder
    “C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\mscordacwks.dll”
    “C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\SOS.dll”
    “C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\clr.dll”
    Zip up the folder and share it (OneDrive, etc…)

Thanks,
    -Matteo

13. SSMS 18.4 Cannot Create a new index from the index node of a table.

SSMS18.4 Throws this error when you select "New Index" from the Indexn node of a table. Exception thrown. "To accomplish this action, set property PartitionScheme"

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

I’m not able to repro on any of my servers/databases, so I may be missing something in your repro steps.

My repro:
    1) Connect to SQL2019/2017/2016
    2) Create a database (TestDB) and add a table (2 columns, one pk; table name = TestTable)
    3) In Object Explorer, expand nodes: Databases|TestDB|Tables|TestTable
    4) Right click on “Indexes” node
    5) Select “New Index | Non-Clustered Index…”

Result:
    The New Index wizard pops up as expected
    I even tried to create a dummy NCI and it worked just fine

Could you specify a few things:
    1) What version of SQL you are connected to?
    2) What compatLevel is your DB?
    3) What is the actual error you see when the error pops up if you click the red X (it should give you a callstack, hopefully)
    4) Any other information that could be useful (a backup of a DB that shows the issue, the…

14. Unable to Invoke-SqlVulnerabilityAssessmentScan via PowerShell to run SQL Vulnarability Assessment Tool.

We are looking to call the Invoke-SqlVulnerabilityAssessmentScan to run the SQL Vulnerability scans via PowerShell.. We want to invoke this call for all the SQL Databases in the SQL Instance and want to export the JSON files into a folder.

Here is the command via PowerShell:

Invoke-SqlVulnerabilityAssessmentScan -ServerInstance "<SQL Server Name>" -DatabaseName "<DatabaseName>" -ScanId "Scan_01"

We are getting the following error:

Invoke-SqlVulnerabilityAssessmentScan : Error setting value to 'c_schema' on 'DataSec.VA.Core.Model.RuleDefinition.VARuleSet'.
    At line:10 char:4
    + Invoke-SqlVulnerabilityAssessmentScan -ServerInstance $instance_w ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [Invoke-SqlVulnerabilityAssessmentScan], JsonSerializationException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Newtonsoft.Json.JsonSerializationException,Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.PowerShell.VulnerabilityAssessment.InvokeVulnerabili
    tyAssessmentScan

Could you please help us address this issue.…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

need-feedback  ·  2 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. 4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Missing Index Details option in Query Store does not generate DDL script in SSMS v17.1 (version 14.0.17119.0)

When using SSMS v17.1 (version 14.0.17119.0), Missing Index in Query Store does not generate DDL script when you right click and select "Missing Index Details" option. Instead gives you an error popup DocumentFrame(SQLEditors).

===================================

DocumentFrame (SQLEditors)

------------------------------
    Program Location:

at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.Editors.ShowPlan.ShowPlanControl.OnMissingIndexDetails(Object sender, EventArgs a)
    at System.ComponentModel.Design.MenuCommand.Invoke()
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.Editors.ShowPlan.ShowPlanControl.Microsoft.VisualStudio.OLE.Interop.IOleCommandTarget.Exec(Guid& guidGroup, UInt32 nCmdId, UInt32 nCmdExcept, IntPtr vIn, IntPtr vOut)

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. BugWhenuseMoreThanOneTab

If i use more than one tab, last tab will opened on all another tabs, its worst ever version. 18.1.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. SSMS 18.1 issue

When editing job step details
    (Open a job in Job activity monitor, go to Steps tab and edit job step),
    The SSMS hang and wait ~30-60 seconds before it opens the step details window.

It happnes on every SQL engine I connect to, regardless the engine's version.
    It didn't happen on SSMS 17.9.

My desktop is Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Ability to permanently set Query Options

Every time I use SSMS, I have to go to Query > Query Options and change the options for how results are displayed in grid format. It would be nice to permanently change the settings in the Query Options window, so I don't have to constantly reset them.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

need-feedback  ·  3 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. SSMS Backup Restore device default

SSMS Backup or Restore database from device
    select backup device, add file defaults to C:\.
    If there is a default backup location for the instance it would be nice if SSMS defaulted to that location instead.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4
  • Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base