SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. SQL 2019 15.0.2070.41: Out of memory, page allocation fails when using Scalar-valued function in Where -clause

Instance crashes to OOM using Scalar-valued functions when Scalar UDF Inlining is turned ON and function is used on WHERE -clause. Not dependent on SQL memory as it always consumes all memory available to instance.

Simple function (i.e returning date) fails when used on WHERE clause and page allocation from MEMORYCLERKSQLOPTIMIZER allocates all memory even with fresh database when TSQL-SCALARUDF_INLINING is ON.

Working query with function:
    declare @dt as datetime='2019-12-01'
    declare @dt2 as datetime='2019-12-20'
    declare @d as datetime = dbo.datereturn(@dt2,'ENDOFDAY')
    select * from TABLE where field_date between @dt and @d

Broken query with function in WHERE -clause:
    declare…

25 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. SQL Management Studio strips stored procedure comments when connecting with Column Encryption Setting Enabled

When connecting to SQL Azure using the "Column Encryption Setting = Enabled" connection setting (in order to use Always Encrypted), any ALTER PROC statement strips comments and reformats the submitted SQL when saving the SP. When connecting to the same database WITHOUT that connection setting, stored procs can be saved as expected, including comments and user formatting.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Schema not reported in the ERROR_PROCEDURE function

When an error is raised by the error handler, the name of the trigger/procedure is reported by the ERROR_PROCEDURE() function. However, it does not include the schema.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

archived  ·  2 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Delete rows from a temporal history table

I can see why deleting records is not possible for a temporal history table. However I have to implement a system which can due to GDPR compliancy. Currently I'm using a transaction to disable system versioning, delete the necessary records and enable it again. However turning system versioning back on causes timeouts when dealing with tables with millions of records.

Is it possible to add an option, which can even be defaulted to off, to allow deleting records from a temporal history table?

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Increase Ram Memory Limit in SQL 2014/2016 Standard to 256GB and Core support.

Hello, SQL Standard's RAM limit of 128GB is aging fast. Please allow both versions to support 256GB of ram. MS SQL Enterprise often prices Microsoft out of the market with newer tools due to performance limitations (ram limits, core limits etc) and feature limits (which are not better with 2016 R1 such as columnstore indexes).

Please "adjust" every few years the limitation. A bump from 128GB to 256GB for 2014/2016 Standard Ram support would be helpful while not extreme.

The same with cores which are extremely limited in standard. "24 cores" is rare, please bump this to "4 sockets or…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

archived  ·  1 comment  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. UserVoice indeaquate for SQL Server requests/needs.

For SQL Server support/requests/wishlist/complaints, this Uservoice site is grossly inadequate!
    The problem is that for such a long-lived platforms like Office and SQL Server, requests for familiar/repeated items over time (like "Source Control" for one very good example) yield worthless or long-irrelevant results because the response from MS for requests on/about previous versions of the platform/product/tools are simply ignored or left open - many from 5+ or 10+ YEARS AGO.

Seriously, I have a problem with something like the current version of SSMS, on "Source Control" and any search here turns up topics for discussion that are still open and…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

archived  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. sergvasiltsoff@hotmail.com

Seems we have strange error 41332 "Memory optimized tables and natively compiled modules cannot be accessed or created when the session TRANSACTION ISOLATION LEVEL is set to SNAPSHOT" but "WITH (SNAPSHOT)" table hints works (except snapshot isolation level) for memory-optimized tables.
    Looks a bit strange for me and blocks some implementations.
    Repro is very simple - we need a memory optimized table (durable or not) and attempt to select data using "snapshot" isolation level.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

archived  ·  0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Indexed Views - Option for Delayed Seperate Index creation Process - Akin to Full Text Indexing

Indexed Views would be a fantastic feature � if I could ever use them!
    Unfortunately Microsoft�s implementation of these has so many restrictions on their creation � that I can�t use them in the real world.
    I need highly normalised narrow tables in order to support data integrity and prevent update anomalies.
    I would like to join these automatically by the system, into entity based views that are easy to understand for users � and fast for them to query � without the huge hassle, expense and risk of data anomalies, inherent with creating and maintaining a data warehouse and…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

archived  ·  1 comment  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Changing the report parameter name doesn't change the parameter name in related cascaded parameter datasets

When you create an analysis services report with multiple parameters using the Visual Studio report builder, first of all it FORCES you to use cascaded parameters (bad assumption). Then, if you go to the report parameters and change the name of one of the parameters, it does not change that parameter name in all the datasets that it created for your other parameters that have a dependency on it. As a result, the report won't build and you have to manually update the MDX query in each parameter dataset.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. SSRS 2008 export formulas to Excel

As per books online - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143380.aspx , support for exporting RDL expressions to Excel as formulas has been dropped in SQL 2008.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

archived  ·  0 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Cannot debug script component

Cannot debug a script component, this is contrary to BOL
    Debugging a Script Component
    To debug the code in your Script component, set at least one breakpoint in
    the code. You must close the VSA IDE to run the package. However, when
    package execution enters the Script component, the VSA IDE reopens and
    displays your code in read-only mode. After execution reaches your
    breakpoint, you can examine variable values and step through the remaining
    code.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. SSMS 18.6 Crashes on Startup

18.6 will launch past the splash screen and then immediately crash with no error message. I have removed SSMS, Visual Studio, and SQL Complete and reinstalled only SSMS 18.6 fresh and the issue persists. I also could not run 18.5.1.

I have tried every method from stackexchange and various blogs and nothing is successful. The only way I can run SSMS is to install 17.9.1. I am happy to provide event viewer error details if someone can help me troubleshoot.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

archived  ·  3 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. The coding for see.exe.dwn

upload the main data to a backup backup sever so it is accessible only through the code I will upload I the next data set.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. RID Lookup to Heap with non-unique index should not have Compute Scalar

There are sometimes good reasons for a table to be a heap. Example, when no single index gets more than 20-25% of accesses. In theory, the RID Lookup to a Heap is less expensive than the Key Lookup to a clustered index. Then it is better for 100% of query plans to involve the Lookup to heap, instead of 75-80% having a Key Lookup.
    But I noticed that there is a Compute Scalar operation following the Index Seek (Nonclustered), but before the RID Lookup when the index is not unique. In actual execution, this doubles the true cost of the…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. dark mode

Dark Mode is not anymore available in SSMS 18 GA !

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Why has operator precedence changed in 2005?

There is an old connect item (id 127183, I cannot find its status), and a question on here (https://feedback.azure.com/forums/908035-sql-server/suggestions/32912443-unusual-operator-precedence). The problem/bug/feature is that something like SELECT -100/-100*10 gives an unexpected result (0 rather than 10). This is due to the fact that the unary - operator is given the same precedence as the binary - operator. This behavior is (somewhat) documented, but still unexpected, as most (all?) other programming languages give unary operators a much higher precedence. In SQL Server 2000, unary operators did have a higher precedence. Why was this changed? And will it be changed back?…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

archived  ·  0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Power BI report name with umlauts not in capital letters

When deploying a report from Power BI Desktop (optimized for Report Server) from January 2019 all letters in the report name are changed to lower letters if there is a german umlauts in the name. So "My Test ÄÖÜ" is changed to "my test ÄÖÜ". When viewing the report with the browser even the folder name is changed to lower letters. The umlauts remain in capital letters.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Traceflag 460 causing truncation errors on code paths that are not followed

This is an odd one. I have tested this on both SQL Server 2017 CU12 and CU13 (in a container and on my production boxes).

If you have an IF/ELSE condition, and you are inserting into a table variable in the ELSE, and that INSERT would cause a truncation issue, it will throw an error, EVEN IF THE CODE IS NOT EXECUTED.

I have attached a reprop script that creates a database called "Repro" and runs the code. When TF460 is enabled, the ELSE block with throw an error when inserting into a table variable, even though it is impossible…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Get-SQLAgent in the sqlserver powershell module (21.0.17199) fails against SQL Server 2005

get-sqlagent -ServerInstance "ASQL2005ServerName"

That simple command will throw this error:

format-default : An exception occurred while executing a Transact-SQL statement or batch.

+ CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [format-default], ExecutionFailureException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Common.ExecutionFailureException,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.Format

DefaultCommand

I profiled the code that the cmdlet executes against the server. The offending statement is this:

declare @ServiceStartMode int = 2

Providing a value in a declare statement was not introduced until SQL Server 2008. A corrected version might look like this:

declare @ServiceStartMode int
    SET @ServiceStartMode = 2

I realize that SQL Server 2005 is old and might not even be supported anymore.

I also…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Why is Deploying SQL Server 2008 R2 sooooo FRUSTRATING?!!

I originally posted this here:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlsetupandupgrade/threads

One of the moderators suggested I post this issue here as well.

Why is it that in 2010, developing and deploying applications with Microsoft's latest tools is an exercise in complete frustration? I developed database applications for years using Microsoft's Visual FoxPro, and application deployment was NEVER the MESS it is now! In fact, deployment was always the least of my worries. I could concentrate on programming great applications! Now I cannot for the life of me find a seamless solution for my customers using Microsoft products. Where, I ask, is the progress?

Case…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

archived  ·  0 comments  ·  Setup + Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 41 42
  • Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base