SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server 2017 powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server 2017 brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. SQL Management Studio strips stored procedure comments when connecting with Column Encryption Setting Enabled

When connecting to SQL Azure using the "Column Encryption Setting = Enabled" connection setting (in order to use Always Encrypted), any ALTER PROC statement strips comments and reformats the submitted SQL when saving the SP. When connecting to the same database WITHOUT that connection setting, stored procs can be saved as expected, including comments and user formatting.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. dark mode

Dark Mode is not anymore available in SSMS 18 GA !

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Traceflag 460 causing truncation errors on code paths that are not followed

This is an odd one. I have tested this on both SQL Server 2017 CU12 and CU13 (in a container and on my production boxes).

If you have an IF/ELSE condition, and you are inserting into a table variable in the ELSE, and that INSERT would cause a truncation issue, it will throw an error, EVEN IF THE CODE IS NOT EXECUTED.

I have attached a reprop script that creates a database called "Repro" and runs the code. When TF460 is enabled, the ELSE block with throw an error when inserting into a table variable, even though it is impossible…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Query SQLPlan query_plan_hash / query_hash do not match sys.dm_exec_query_stats ??

Altough I get to see equal values from both sources for the columns query_plan_hash and query_hash , the query does not evaluate them as being equal !

Microsoft SQL Server 2014 - 12.0.2402.0 (X64)
    Aug 13 2014 11:36:34
    Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation
    Developer Edition (64-bit) on Windows NT 6.3 <X64> (Build 9600: )

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

archived  ·  0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Using SQL Server 2005 JDBC driver for J2ee application throws error

I have downloaded SQL Server 2005 JDBC Driver. This driver would be used to get connected to SQL Server 2005 database in a J2ee application. When the application tries to connect to the database using the driver it throws a error.
    Error :
    This driver is locked for use with embeded application.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 1

<=-=Jan 10 2006 5:00PM=-=>

This is not a known issue — can you provide more detailed repro steps, ideally with some code? -shelby

<=-=Jan 10 2006 10:34PM=-=>

We have a J2ee web application that opens number of connections to the database (in this case SQL Server 2005 Enterprise Edition).
    When i try to get connected to SQL Server 2000 with a JDBC Driver for that type i able to get connected to the database and the web application starts working.
    Now when i follow the same procedure for SQL Server 2005 Enterprise edition database with the new SQL Server 2005 Beta 2 Driver(With required changes for the URL) i get error, “This driver is looked for use with embeded application”. It could be that this driver is not designed to open number of connections to the database.

<=-=Jan 11 2006 1:11AM=-=>

Here is the code being used…

6. SQL Authentication issue

I have a SQL 2005 Developer Edition server which was configured to accept connections using both SQL and Windows Integrated authentication and this has worked great for some time now. Recently, however, it has started generating an error 18452 "The user is not assoicated wit ha trusted SQL Server connection," error message whenever I attempt to connect using SQL Server authentication. When I check the server to see if it is still configured to accept both Windows Integrated and SQL Authentication (properties on the server, security page), the entire server authentication section is greyed out and neither "Windows Authentication mode"…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 0

<=-=Jan 9 2006 6:12PM=-=>

Hi Ron,
    Thank you for your feedback. I have seen this issue intermittently; In all the cases it was a domain authentication issue where the client or the server was unable to reach the domain server to verify the authntication.
    These would automatically resolve once the domain server was accessbile for the authentication.
    Thanks,
    Ramesh Singh

7. How to set DSO

Can you please send me instructions how to set server to run DSO?
    Please e mail to decsys@inter.net.il

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Oct 4 2005 6:04PM=-=>

SQL Server 2005 setup installs DSO9 when you pick the backward compatibility option in the feature tree. You can also install it via the redist SQLServer2005_BC.msi. The new version of msmddo80.dll (in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\DSO) should be 8.5.xxxx.

To configure DSO connectivity on the server, copy your AS2000 repository to C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSQL.n\OLAP\Bin. For remote DSO connectivity, share out this folder. The share name should be MSOLAPRepository$ and grant full control to OLAP administrators.

Set the following server configuration properties (using server properties dialog in Management Studio).

Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\OLAP\bin\msmdrep.mdb;Persist Security Info=False

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\OLAP\bin

Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=\\yourmachine\MsOLAPRepository$\msmdrep.mdb;Persist Security Info=False

\\yourmachine\MsOLAPRepository$

Thats it!

<=-=Oct 5 2005 2:08AM=-=>

I did all this and run the attached script, that works fine with AS2K. The…

8. 0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Setup + Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

<=-=Jun 1 2005 9:04AM=-=>

Are you installing/uninstalling SQL Server BI Dev Studio when you hit this problem?

<=-=Jun 1 2005 10:48AM=-=>

it happens when the install order is:

Visual Studio 2005 Beta 2 – full install w/o SQL Express or fullinstall then remove sql exp.
    then install
    SQL Server 2005 CTP — the one that goes with VS B2 bits.

most things work ok….
    then I went to setup a data-binding using a custom type to build a list(of T)
    I ran the “New Datasource” wizard it say the type in the app.
    it let me pick it and then I click finish and up comes the error.
    on the first machine I said “OK VS is broken, uninstall and re-load”
    as I did not have other info at that time.
    that fixed VS, I have not yet ran the BI parts — model builder etc…

then I…

9. Execute SQL Task Query Builder does not support Oracle

Oracle 8i Database on separate server
    Oracle 8i Client installed and works correctly

In the Query Builder of an Execute SQL Task, it is not possible to assemble simple queries because the Builder ALWAYS parses to MS SQL Syntax. The Task is set to use an OLE DB Oracle Provider that works in other parts of the package.

The following Query was assembled and works fine in VS 2003 -
    SELECT USER_TAB_COLUMNS.TABLE_NAME, USER_TAB_COLUMNS.COLUMN_NAME, USER_TAB_COLUMNS.DATA_TYPE,
    USER_TAB_COLUMNS.DATA_LENGTH, USER_TAB_COLUMNS.DATA_PRECISION, USER_TAB_COLUMNS.DATA_SCALE,
    USER_TAB_COLUMNS.NULLABLE, USER_TAB_COLUMNS.COLUMN_ID
    FROM USER_TABLES, USER_TAB_COLUMNS
    WHERE USER_TABLES.TABLE_NAME = USER_TAB_COLUMNS.TABLE_NAME
    ORDER BY USER_TABLES.TABLE_NAME, USER_TAB_COLUMNS.COLUMN_ID

When ever I try to submit this query the parser…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Aug 10 2005 2:04PM=-=>

Thanks for reporting this problem, we have forwarded your feedback to Visual Studio Query Builder team.

<=-=Aug 15 2005 4:52PM=-=>

Unfortunately, this won’t be supported for the OLE DB provider for Oracle. The workaround is to use the .Net provider for Oracle.

10. Multiple computes in stored proc causes internal error

More than one select with a compute in a storedproc only seems to work if the compute line is the same in each select. Running the SQL outside of a proc, its fine.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Dec 4 2005 12:26PM=-=>

Some investigatation indicates that the problem is in SqlClient. The procedure works correctly if you run it from SQLCMD or Query Analyzer.

<=-=Dec 10 2005 11:26AM=-=>

I took the libery to submit FDBK42210 for SqlClient based on the repro in this bug report.

<=-=Jan 3 2008 10:04AM=-=>

Thank you very much for your feedback Erland. Our next opertunity to investigate and address this issue is in the next release for SqlClient. We have assigned the bug to a developer for investigation for the next release.

11. Error message in Japanese when connecting with SQL 2000 SP4 Profiler

When I try to connect with the SQL 2000 SP4 Profiler to SQL 2005 I get the
    attached message. Since I ran into similar issues during the SP4 beta,
    I know what the message means, but else I would need lessons in Japanese.

I traced the connection in the SQL 2005 Profiler, and the message indeed comes from SQL 2005, by this code:

if (object_id('master.dbo.sp_MSSQLDMO80_version') is not null) exec master.dbo.sp_MSSQLDMO80_version else if
    (object_id('master.dbo.sp_MSSQLDMO70_version') is not null) exec master.dbo.sp_MSSQLDMO70_version else select 0

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Database Tuning Advisor does not work.

I know this bug has been already posted by someone else but the answer he got from you is totally unacceptable. Therefore, I�m creating my own one and I�ll be providing some more detailed information so you can correctly evaluate this issue.

The following lists almost all of the Development Apps. that I have installed:

VS2003 .NET Enterprise Architect;
    MSDE.

Express Editions: BASIC, C#, C++, Web Developer, SQL Server 2005.

Visual Studio 2005 Standard (everything);
    SQL Server 2005 Standard (everything);
    Workflow Foundation BETA 1.2.

System Specs.:
    P4 1.7GHz;
    512MB RAM;
    40GB HD.
    During the installation I got the Warning telling…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Stored Procedures missing from query designer in Report project

When using the Report Wizard, if I open the query designer, and go to Add Tables, I can see tables, views, functions, but not stored procedures. I'm not sure if this is by design.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Integrated Helpviewer: window size very small / size and position not saved between two sessions

The size of the integrated helpviewer window (and Community/send feedback window) is very small when opening the first time.
    The size and position of the help window (and Community/send feedback) window is not saved between two seesions, sometimes it is not remembered after closing and opening it.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Oct 6 2006 2:34PM=-=>

Hi Migeold,
    We have postponed this issue to a future release of SQL Server. We will continue to track this issue.
    Thank you.
    Bill Ramos

<=-=Nov 28 2007 5:42AM=-=>

In SQL Server 2008 November CTP the issue is still not solved.
    This problem is very annoying, because each time you open a help window you have to resize it.
    Are you planning to fix it in SQL Server 2008?

<=-=Jan 21 2008 11:37AM=-=>

Hello – I’m not going to be able to get this in for SQL Srever 2008. This does not mean that the information is not relevant or valid; but we are not able at this time to work on this item. Note that this issue may also be fixed as a result of some framework issues we are dealing with.
    Thanks!
    Buck Woody, SQL Server Program Manager

15. Report Designer [VS2005] crashed when an invalid formula is placed

Report Designer crash when a table with grouping is placed in the report, then a Count function is placed in the group header without a scope specified, when switch to preview pane, report preview says error occurred in the internal report, shortly afterwards the entire VS environment crashed

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=May 24 2006 3:16AM=-=>

Report Designer crash when a table with grouping is placed in the report, then a Count function is added to the DataSource without a scope specified, afterwards that formula is inserted in the group header , when switch to preview pane, report preview says error occurred in the internal report, shortly afterwards the entire VS environment crashed

<=-=Jun 8 2006 12:26PM=-=>

Thanks for your feedback, A fix for the crashing issue has been developed and will be available in the next SQL Server service pack.

-Albert

16. Unprofessional! Spelling error in install logs (priveleges)

When SQL server 2005 Developer edition is done installing, the final "Microsoft SQL Server 2005 CTP Setup"screen is displayed with "Setup Finished" displayed. If you click on any of the setup items on the screen, you're shown one of the setup logs. There on the first page of all of them is the glaring misspelling "priveleges". The line I'm looking at in the SQL Setup Support Files log says "MSI (c) (28:74) [10:15:10:547]: Attempting to enable all disabled priveleges before calling Install on Server".

Each separate install log for the different parts of the install has the same misspelling (attempting…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Setup + Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Version number same for SQL Server mobile edition shipped with VS Beta2 as well as VS RTM while the versions are actually differen

The version number of SQL Server Mobile 2005 that came with VS Beta 2 is 3.3600.0.

The version number of SQL Server Mobile 2005 that came with VS RTM is also 3.3600.0.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Dec 1 2005 6:04PM=-=>

Thank you for your feedback,

We will consider solving this issue in a future version of SQL Server or service pack
    Radu Singer

<=-=Feb 1 2006 2:36PM=-=>

It’s not a bug. Use GetFileVersionInfo API to get the version number of the file.

18. SqlServer 2005 sqljdbc.jar file contains invalid manifest file

The sqljdbc.jar file contained in sqljdbc_1.0.809.102_enu.exe contains a manifest file that does not conform to standards. Specifically, the name of the manifest file is manifest.mf (lower case), whereas the spec calls for the thile name to be in all upper case (MANIFEST.MF). Also, there are 3 lines that excede the 72 byte limit on lines (220, 230, and 235). These issues are trapped by the validator in WSAD (Eclipse), and are reported as errors.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Table default order is different for 2-column tables

This sounds crazy...

The default table order (the order things are shown in when you "Show Table Data") is different for a 2-column table than for >2-columns.

In a >2-column table, the table is displayed ordered by the PK (or maybe by column 1, but that is always my PK)

In a =2-column table, the table is ordered by column 2, even though column 1 is the PK. The PK column is scrambled and column2 is in order. The PK association with the column 2 value is correct.

These tables were created with a VB dataset and running the TableAdapter.Update…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Aug 12 2005 8:59AM=-=>

Hi Dave,
    Thank you for your bug report regarding the ordering issue. SQL Server doesn’t really guarentee the order of the results sets unless you explictily use an Order By clause.
    Thank you,
    Bill Ramos

<=-=Aug 12 2005 9:59AM=-=>

I agree that order is not guaranteed. However, it appears that a sort is being done for 2-column tables (a sort that I did not ask for). My concern is the performance hit that could be caused by this extra sort.

20. Diagrams does not take no for an answer

You make changes to a table from a Database Diagrams, and generate a change script which you never run, and
    then you remove the table from the diagram. You then move on to change another table in the diagram, to which the first table has an FK relation. When you generate the change script for the second table, the script includes the discarded change to the first table!

(And of course the change scripts has all the issues with bad transaction scope, constraints being applied NOCHECK etc.)

This bug is essentially a duplicate of a bug reported by Steve Kass…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6
  • Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base