SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server 2017 powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server 2017 brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

Do you have a comment or suggestion to improve SQL Server? We’d love to hear it!

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Incorrect arrow width in execution plans (SSMS 17.4)

When showing execution plans in SSMS 17.4, the arrow width is incorrectly based on the ""Number of Rows Read"property (for operaotrs that report it), instead of Äctual Number of Rows". This makes execution plans confusing and misleading when the plan uses scans with pushed-down predicates.

Example:
    SELECT * FROM Person.Person AS p
    WHERE p.Title = 'xx'
    ORDER BY p.EmailPromotion;

On SSMS 17.4, the execution plan shows a thick arrow going into the sort and a thin arrow going out of it. The thick arrow is based on the 19972 rows read withing the clustered index scan operator, but since none…

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: oidc
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello Hugo, the thickness now takes into account the actual rows read by the operator, if available, which as per previous user community feedback, is a more accurate measure of the operator weight in the plan, and it makes it easier to pinpoint problem areas. In some cases, the problem operator had the narrowest line as actual rows is zero, but actual rows read was > 0.

2. Add CTRL+D duplicate line shortcut to SSMS Editor

Visual Studio has the ability to highlight a line and use the CTRL+D shortcut which quickly duplicates a line or block of code.
    If SSMS had this it would save time for power users

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

While SSMS 18.0 Preview 4 had this suggestion honored, it turned out that CTRL+D had been historically bound to ResultToGrid.

As such, we won’t be honoring this request anymore.

The binding for Edit.Duplicate, instead, is going to be CTRL+E, CTRL+V.

User can still rearrange the key bindings as they need.

3. Add obvious link to this User Voice on Connect

It was a challenge for me to find this forum. Connect mentions it but has no hyperlink (or if it does, I couldn't find it). Please hyperlink this forum on Connect.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

It’s there, but Connect doesn’t show it underlined or “blue”. It’s hyper-linked on the word “UserVoice”. Since Connect will be going away any day, we’re not going to fix this.

Once Connect goes away for good, it will redirect you to a better documented page, clearly telling SQL users where to go (here) to file bugs.

4. SSMS for Mac OS X

This was suggested by other members of the community some time ago and was closed as won't fix. Given the recent announcement for SQL Server support on the Linux Platform, SSMS for Mac OS X would be well received by the community.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. SSMS 18 GA crashes on start

I have been using runas.exe to run SSMS as different user.
    I have been using SSMS 18 previous preview version but this only happen on SSMS 18 GA.
    Once SSMS crashes for some reasons, it can never be restarted--i open SSMS (even with current user) the logo flashes and that's it.

reboot OS won't help.
    repair by installation file won't help

the only way is to uninstall and reinstall ssms 18.

Could you help me troubleshoot?

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Refresh Objects List as soon as the object is created/deleted

It's been quite annoying to manually refresh the objects list (Databases, Tables, and so on) every single time you create an object through T-SQL code. Especially since F5 is reserved for executing query. Will be great to be updated automatically.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Hide database names from unauthroized users in SSMS

If a user is not authorized to see a database can I exclude that database from even appearing in Management Studio for that user

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. SQL Management Studio 18 Screen Refresh Problem

When using SSMS 18, and switching between query tabs, sometimes the screen does not refresh/repaint and it continues to show the content of the previous tab.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. SQL Server Management Studio for Mac and Linux Machines

With the proliferation of SQL Server market, number of SQL Server end users access it from Mac and Linux machines with non Microsoft products .It would be nice if SSMS is available for non windows platforms also.It will increase user efficiency and increase market for SQL Server.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. SSMS 18 panes not refreshing

If I have multiple tabs open with different queries and switch between them the panes are not switching or refreshing properly unless I minimize SSMS then reopen it.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. SQL Server Management Studio v18.0 not launching

I have installed SQL Server Profiler 18. I have then launched the app, and launched SQL Server Management Studio v18.0 from "Tools", on the navigation bar. The first time I launched it, everything worked as expected. As I closed it and tried to reopen, the splash screen appears, but nothing else happens.
    I have tried repairing the installation, without success. And have uninstalled and reinstalled it, which allowed me to open the app again, but now it's back to no activity past the splash screen. Please, let me know of any paths for log files I may provide to help…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. [BUG] Cannot run SSMS 18GA on SQL server machine

After installing SSMS 18GA i cot little problem that is more write here https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/76236e43-dc82-4586-bf7f-b01ff6374462/ssms2018-installed-but-will-not-run?forum=sqltools&prof=required

more and more user have this issue especially on machine where SQL instance is installed :/ in any other machine SSMS works fine.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This would appear to be the same issue reported in 37502512. Let’s use that one to track it.

Thanks for reporting it.

Matteo
    p.s. This system does not have a way to roll-over the Upvotes when something is a duplicate, so if you want your vote/comment there, please add it again. I am already investigating the issue because it is serious enough, so I do not need more votes to bring it to my attention :
    )

13. Some submenus have dark text on dark background in SSMS 17.4. Can't read the text.

I enabled and selected the dark theme in SSMS 17.4 Some submenus are showing dark text on a dark background and it's hard to read the text.
    Example: Open 'Script Table as..', the submenu is all dark and the text is hardly visible.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Make SQL Server Management Studio available for MAC

An OP suggested on MSDN forums the possibility of making SSMS available for MAC now that Visual Studio is available on MAC.

This Connect item has been created to know if there is enough demand for SSMS to be cross-platform so SSMS Team can consider this as future project

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. 64-bit version of SSMS.exe (SQL Server Management Studio)

When will Microsoft release a 64-bit version of SSMS.exe (SQL Server Management Studio)?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

declined  ·  2 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. SSMS 18 closes immediately after starting

SSMS18 closes immediately after starting. I have installed it on my newly purchased Windows 10 laptop. Installation was successful. I used it for many days. Suddenly it started giving the issue, ie it starts and closes. Since it is new everything - new laptop, new Windows 10, newly installed SSMS18, I was hesitant to uninstall and reinstall or touch the registry as some sites suggested. BTW - It worked momentarily, after I applied a Windows update. Right now the issue persists.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. In SSMS GA I am not seeing static Data Masking under databasename->Task. where to find it.

In SSMS GA I am not seeing static Data Masking under databasename->Task. where to find it.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. SSMS 18.0 GA not working

Uninstalled fine working preview 7, then installed GA + Restart. Welcome screen appears than full stop. Hit repair button + Restart. Same full stop. Hit uninstall button and Windows started updating (2019-02 Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.7.2 for Windows 10 Version 1809 for x64 (KB4486553) + additional stuff VS C+ etc – see xml file) + Restart. Same full stop. I returned to Preview 7
    Computer: Windows 10.0.17763.2.0.0.256.48 with SQL 2017 and .net 3.5.30729.4926 and 4.7.03190 461814

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. SQL Server Management Studio Dark/Black Theme

On the March 2016 Refresh you add the light theme and now we have two themes blue and light.
    You could add the Dark/Black theme like on Visual Studio 2013/2015.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 15 16
  • Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Feedback and Knowledge Base