SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server 2017 powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server 2017 brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

Do you have a comment or suggestion to improve SQL Server? We’d love to hear it!

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Porting SMO Library to .NET Core

SQL Server has been ported to Linux for over a year now and it is time the complete SMO library (or what can be) is ported over to cross-platform as well.

Only 9 or so core files have been ported over to .NET Core and this allowed the sqlserver module to port over a small set of cmdlets to PS Core. This does not work for other modules like dbatools that use a wider berth of the library.

There are plenty of other modules in PowerShell (and applications too) that would like to provide cross-platform support for managing SQL Server…

97 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: oidc
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

4 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Visual Studio 2017 SSDT adds hardcoded master.dacpac include

Visual Studio 2017 seems to add a hardcoded path to the master.dacpac if I include it in a project of mine. Older versions of the SSDT used the $(DacPacRootPath) variable to get the master.dacpac.

This is really annoying as it breaks the builds on our build server where the master.dacpac is installed in a different folder than on my development machine.

84 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. SSMS 18.0 GA can't be installed

When I'm trying to install SSMS 18.0 GA, I get error: "SSMS can only be upgraded by installing the package of the matching language. Please, use the matching version of the installer, or uninstall the current version of SSMS and run SSMS setup again." And I'm not alone: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/16d0e279-6ff4-4d5f-ad0a-5039235f03b9/ssms-2018-setup-blocked?forum=sqltools

32 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I’m looking into this issue.

In the meanwhile, could you take a look at the SSMS setup logs (%TEMP%\SSMSSetup\SSMS-Setup-ENU_20190430231104.log). I’m interested in the lines in the range 133-216. Could you share those (tip: have a look at the lines and sanitize them, if you think they may contain sensible information?

Also, if you could share the output of:
    reg query “HKLM\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio” /reg:32 /s

And, finally, to unblock yourself:
    1) Make sure you don’t have any previous version (RC, Preview) of SSMS 18.0 installed (check Add/Remove programs; if you do, uninstall it)
    2) Make sure “C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio 18” does not exist (if it does, the delete it)
    3) Delete the mentioned registry key (e.g. by running from an elevated cmd prompt:
    reg DELETE “HKLM\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio” /reg:32)
    4) Retry setup
    Please, let…

4. Restore CTRL-D shortcut for ResultsToGrid in SSMS

In SSMS 18 Preview 4, the default binding have changed to Edit.Duplicate lines, quoting https://feedback.azure.com/forums/908035-sql-server/suggestions/32896594 as a the motivation.

CTRL-D has been bound to ResultsToGrid, for almost 20 twenty years (that is since Query Analzyer came out in SQL 7.) That is engraved in many people's minds.

Yes, I can change the key binding, but so can people who prefer to use it to duplicate lines.

Please restore the original default. It does not serve the community to change existing bindings.

28 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Note: this is a behavior that is only observed in SSMS 18.0 Preview 4.

It turned out that the migration to the new VS2017 Shell in SSMS 18.0 ended up changing the binding for the CTRL+D, which accidentally was a request from a few other users.

Due to popular demand (and also to preserve the old behavior), I’m going to bring back CTRL+D and have it bound to the ResultToGrid in the Query Editor.

I’m going to bind the “Edit.Duplicate” to CTRL-K, CTRL+V, which is consistent with the current VS2017 behavior.

5. SSMS2018 - Installed, but will not run

Original post is here, with additional customer failure report: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/76236e43-dc82-4586-bf7f-b01ff6374462/ssms2018-installed-but-will-not-run?forum=sqltools

Windows 2016 Standard Edition. Brand new Hyper-V image. No prior SSMS on the server. Freshly installed SQL 2014, 16, and 17, Standard and Enterprise as 6 named instances. Restarted multiple times. Repaired the SSMS install. Restarted. I chose to install in a named folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\SSMS18 ..\Common7\ Size on disk: (1,090,367,488 bytes)

All that shows is the splash screen, then nothing. Run as administrator - I am a Local Admin - nothing.

Event Viewer - Nothing.

Uninstalled. Reboot. Reinstalled to default location.

WORKS FOR ME, but NOBODY ELSE on…

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Too Many Decimal-places in Size (MB) property

The "Size (MB)" property in SSMS reports the size with way too many decimal places if the size is not divisible by 1024. This can make quickly understanding the sizes of your databases in Object Explorer Details frustrating. This is often seen if a database has auto-grown by a percentage value. If a customer wants to see a precise Size value for their database, it is better for them to use a query or possibly the built-in Disk Usage report. Please eliminate the displaying of any decimal values, or at least a maximum of one decimal-place, in the Size (MB)…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. SSMS 18

When double clicking on an sql file, a new instance of SSMS 18 will start up, but the file never opens. This never happened when I was using SSMS 17.8. I'm running on Windows 10 OS.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is indeed a known issue in SSMS 18.0 (up until Preview 6).

I expect to have a fix in the next Preview.

In the meanwhile, you can workaround it by doing this:
    1) Close SSMS
    2) Edit the following file …\Common7\IDE\Extensions\Application\ssms.Application.pkgdef by replacing
    “DDEApplication”=“ssms.18.0”
    with
    “DDEApplication”=“ssms.15.0”
    3) Save the file

Thanks,
    -Matteo

8. SSMS Install with SQL Server 2016 causes Device Manager conflict on VS location sensor driver

If you take (as an example) a clean machine, with no VS or SQL Server yet, install SQL Server 2016 (say community but doesn't matter), Device Manager is fine, no conflicts (no VS location sensor driver yet)...Then you install SSMS (production/GA version 16.5.3), you get a Device Manager conflict (yellow exclamation mark/can't load driver error) on a new sensor entry called "Microsoft Visual Studio Location Simulator Sensor".

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

started  ·  0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Add support for storing UTF-8 natively in SQL Server.

You can store Unicode data in SQL Server today, but only in UCS-2 encoding. In many environments, UTF-8 is the dominating encoding for Unicode data, and it is the default
    encoding for XML documents.

Today UTF-8 applications must convert between UCS-2 and UTF-8 to retrieve and store
    data in SQL Server, which adds complexity and overhead to applications.

Another issue is that for languages written in the Latin script, UTF-8 is a much more effective storage format, since most for characters in text, only one byte is needed.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

started  ·  1 comment  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. SQL Server Management Studio 18 GA (15.0.18118.0) not compatible with .NET Framework 4.8

Windows 10 1903 - SSMS 18 does not start.
    Windows Server with .NET Framework 4.8 - SSMS 18 does not start.

AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\AppEnv\15.0\ActivityLog.xml:
    ...Could not load file or assembly <Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Interop.8.0, Version=15.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a>...

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Replication Monitor Crashing with SSMS 17.8.1

I installed SQL Server Management Studio 17.8.1 last night. This is from the About box:

Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio 14.0.17277.0
    Microsoft Analysis Services Client Tools 14.0.1016.262
    Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) 10.0.16299.15
    Microsoft MSXML 3.0 4.0 6.0
    Microsoft Internet Explorer 9.11.16299.0
    Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0.30319.42000
    Operating System 6.3.16299

This build has broken Replication Monitor. When I go to review the details of (for example) Distribution Agent Job Properties, it will crash with "Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AppLocal, Version=14.0.0.0"..... The located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference."

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

It turned out that UserVoice clipped the XML snipped I published (although it is there; you just can’t see).

I’ve updated the steps with instructions on how to download a new version of the .config file, so you don’t have to edit it.

I apologize for the inconvenience.

12. SMO Server class spams AGs with failed blank user logins when used with SqlCredential

When using SMO with a SqlCredential it may hammer the target server with failed connections to a blank username. These can be found in the SQL ERRORLOG. Interestingly SMO still appears to work but this prevents SqlCredentials from being used in production because it would trigger hundreds of thousands of failed logins every day.

The problem is caused because somewhere in SMO it is not detecting the SqlCredential correctly.

This does not happen on standalone servers. It does happen on servers in an AG, even when the SQL principal has sysadmin, and even with the server is a primary.

I've…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

started  ·  2 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Import Flat File Wizard in SSMS 17.3 cannot handle single-column csv files

Have a .csv-file containing a single column (and therefor no column separator like a semicolon).
    Try importing that data into a new table using SSMS 17.3 - right click on a database and choose "Tasks -> Import Flat File...".
    Select the .csv-file and advance the wizard to the preview page. The following error is shown:

===================================

An error occurred while running learn on the input file.

===================================

Cannot find patterns in the input file. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Prose.Import)

------------------------------
    Program Location:

at Microsoft.SqlServer.Prose.Import.BcpSynthesis.LearnWithProse(String inputFilePath)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Prose.Import.BcpSynthesis.<>c__DisplayClass3_0.<Learn>b__0()
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Prose.Import.BcpSynthesis.ExecuteSynthesisOperation(Func`1 operation)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

started  ·  3 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Generate Script on a graph table fails when generating data

Using SQL Server version "Microsoft SQL Server 2017 (RTM) - 14.0.1000.169 (X64) Aug 22 2017 17:04:49 Copyright (C) 2017 Microsoft Corporation Developer Edition (64-bit) on Linux (Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS)"
    When using SSMS 15.3 and generating scripts via the tasks menu. If you choose either Schema and Data or Data only then an error is returned:

Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SqlScriptPublish.SqlScriptPublishException: An error occurred while scripting the objects. ---&gt; System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Cannot access internal graph column 'graph_id_FE108EDF3EAE4BEFB26E7E04C01C5505'.
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection, Action`1 wrapCloseInAction)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection, Action`1 wrapCloseInAction)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj, Boolean callerHasConnectionLock, Boolean asyncClose)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.TryRun(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

started  ·  1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. SSMS 17.3 Import Flat File doesn't import correctly quoted fields which contain double-quoted characters

New Import Flat File Functionality cannot import properly quoted string values which contains escaped double-quoted characters. CSV file specification allows such notation
    ID, Value
    1, "New functionality: ""Flat File Import"""

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Code Issues 49 Pull requests 25 Projects 0 Insights Edit New issue SSMS 18.0 Help About contains incorrect information about operating

I successfully uninstalled SSMS 17.9.1 and installed 18.0 via CLI successfully on Windows 10 1803 Enterprise. Upon clicking Help menu and select About item, it shows me 6.3.17134. 17134 is the correct build number but 6.3 is the major and minor for Windows 8.1/Server 2012 R2.

https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/5810165/56782316-96020600-67b4-11e9-81a6-47b207cf9205.png

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. SSMS 18 fails to install when log path contains spaces

When executing SSMS-Setup-ENU.exe with the /Log argument that points to a directory path that contains spaces, the install fails.

This appears to be because the quoted log path is not passed correctly to VSTS_setup.exe.

Compare the two extracts from install log files. The first fails, whereas the second succeeds.

[43E0:4374][2019-04-29T14:01:56]i301: Applying execute package: VSTA2017, action: Install, path: C:\ProgramData\Package Cache\BBABC3362FBBB5C3B3543B252A5D7E5C9D9E6B36\redist\vsta_setup.exe, arguments: '"C:\ProgramData\Package Cache\BBABC3362FBBB5C3B3543B252A5D7E5C9D9E6B36\redist\vsta_setup.exe" /q /norestart /log C:\Users\David\AppData\Local\Temp\\chocolatey\\SQL Server Management Studio\SQL Server Management Studio.MsiInstall_6_VSTA2017.log'
    [43A4:43A0][2019-04-29T14:01:56]i000: MainViewModel.OnPackageActionProgress: Percent completed: 50, Overall progress: 50
    [43A4:43A0][2019-04-29T14:01:56]i000: MainViewModel.OnPackageActionProgress: Percent completed: 50, Overall progress: 50
    [43A4:43A0][2019-04-29T14:01:57]i000: MainViewModel.OnPackageActionProgress: Percent completed: 50, Overall progress: 50
    [43A4:43A0][2019-04-29T14:01:57]i000: MainViewModel.OnPackageActionProgress: Percent completed:…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

started  ·  2 comments  ·  Setup + Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. bug in scripting multi filegroup database in Azure SQL Managed Instance to SQL2017EntEdtn

bug in scripting multi filegroup database in Azure SQL Managed Instance to SQL2017EntEdtn
    Only primary filegroup and file + log file are scripted. No extra filegroups or files !

Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio 14.0.17289.0
    Microsoft Analysis Services Client Tools 14.0.1016.283
    Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) 10.0.17134.1
    Microsoft MSXML 3.0 6.0
    Microsoft Internet Explorer 9.11.17134.0
    Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0.30319.42000
    Operating System 6.3.17134

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Query tabs are closed in SSMS rather than given the focus after they are restored when reopening an existing solution.

Query tabs are closed in SSMS rather than given the focus after they are restored when reopening an existing solution.

If a solution is saved and closed (either by closing the solution, or closing the entire program) with two or more query documents open, when the solution is reopened and the previously opened tabs are restored, selecting any of the tabs by clicking on it closes the tab instead of switching to it. This continues until only one tab/query document remains.

Running Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio v17.9.1 on Windows 7 Professional SP1

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. SSMS Create Table, New, is missing when using SQL Server Express

When running SSMS us SQL Server Express editing you do not see the New in the shortcut menu (see SSMS.PNG).

The correct shortcut menu display should be like the one in SSMS1.PNG.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1
  • Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Feedback and Knowledge Base