SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server 2017 powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server 2017 brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. SSMS 18.1 Crashes when Opening a Database Diagram

SSMS 18.1 crashes (and restarts) when opening a database diagram without any error message.

I have created several diagrams from scratch thinking it might have to do with old formatting, but this does not appear to be the case.

You can edit a diagram (adding dozens of tables) with no problem. It is the opening of the diagram that results in the crash.

Latest bits for SSMS and SQL Server 2017 installed today.

SQL Server Management Studio 15.0.18131.0
    Microsoft Analysis Services Client Tools 15.0.1347.0
    Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) 10.0.18362.1
    Microsoft MSXML 3.0 6.0
    Microsoft Internet Explorer 9.11.18362.0
    Microsoft .NET…

125 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

67 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I’d like to provide an update on this issue/

Unfortunately, it is proving to be pretty complex to deal with this this ancient technology that is used by SSMS. That’s why it’s being quite challenging for me to find a fix.

I’ll keep working on this, but sadly there is no fix in sight yet.

-Matteo

2. SSMS Crash when dragging table from Object explorer into new query window

Have just installed this version v18.1 and everytime I drag a table from Object explorer into new query window SSMS crashes, I have to kill it.
    I have no add-ins installed, have rebooted since installing.

O/s Win 10 15063.1387

117 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

57 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Porting SMO Library to .NET Core

SQL Server has been ported to Linux for over a year now and it is time the complete SMO library (or what can be) is ported over to cross-platform as well.

Only 9 or so core files have been ported over to .NET Core and this allowed the sqlserver module to port over a small set of cmdlets to PS Core. This does not work for other modules like dbatools that use a wider berth of the library.

There are plenty of other modules in PowerShell (and applications too) that would like to provide cross-platform support for managing SQL Server…

103 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Visual Studio 2017 SSDT adds hardcoded master.dacpac include

Visual Studio 2017 seems to add a hardcoded path to the master.dacpac if I include it in a project of mine. Older versions of the SSDT used the $(DacPacRootPath) variable to get the master.dacpac.

This is really annoying as it breaks the builds on our build server where the master.dacpac is installed in a different folder than on my development machine.

92 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. SSMS 18.0 GA can't be installed

When I'm trying to install SSMS 18.0 GA, I get error: "SSMS can only be upgraded by installing the package of the matching language. Please, use the matching version of the installer, or uninstall the current version of SSMS and run SSMS setup again." And I'm not alone: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/16d0e279-6ff4-4d5f-ad0a-5039235f03b9/ssms-2018-setup-blocked?forum=sqltools

43 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

31 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I’m looking into this issue.

In the meanwhile, could you take a look at the SSMS setup logs (%TEMP%\SSMSSetup\SSMS-Setup-ENU_20190430231104.log). I’m interested in the lines in the range 133-216. Could you share those (tip: have a look at the lines and sanitize them, if you think they may contain sensible information?

Also, if you could share the output of:
    reg query “HKLM\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio” /reg:32 /s

And, finally, to unblock yourself:
    1) Make sure you don’t have any previous version (RC, Preview) of SSMS 18.0 installed (check Add/Remove programs; if you do, uninstall it)
    2) Make sure “C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio 18” does not exist (if it does, the delete it)
    3) Delete the mentioned registry key (e.g. by running from an elevated cmd prompt:
    reg DELETE “HKLM\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio” /reg:32)
    4) Retry setup
    Please, let…

6. SSMS 18.2 default language display bug

Hi, SSMS 18.2 displays the default language for all logins as Arabic, and my default language is us_english.

I'm using language 1033 so this shouldn't display as Arabic. I tried with a few servers - all the same. This is across all versions of the database engine from 2008, 2012, 2014, 2017 etc.

querying sys.server_principals shows this isn't actually the case so this seems to be display bug in SSMS 18.2

33 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    started  ·  Matteo Taveggia responded

Thanks for the reporting the issue.
    This was something that was accidentally changed in SSMS 18.2. It only affects what you see in the UI (still wrong, of course.. and we shall fix it).

7. Restore CTRL-D shortcut for ResultsToGrid in SSMS

In SSMS 18 Preview 4, the default binding have changed to Edit.Duplicate lines, quoting https://feedback.azure.com/forums/908035-sql-server/suggestions/32896594 as a the motivation.

CTRL-D has been bound to ResultsToGrid, for almost 20 twenty years (that is since Query Analzyer came out in SQL 7.) That is engraved in many people's minds.

Yes, I can change the key binding, but so can people who prefer to use it to duplicate lines.

Please restore the original default. It does not serve the community to change existing bindings.

28 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Note: this is a behavior that is only observed in SSMS 18.0 Preview 4.

It turned out that the migration to the new VS2017 Shell in SSMS 18.0 ended up changing the binding for the CTRL+D, which accidentally was a request from a few other users.

Due to popular demand (and also to preserve the old behavior), I’m going to bring back CTRL+D and have it bound to the ResultToGrid in the Query Editor.

I’m going to bind the “Edit.Duplicate” to CTRL-K, CTRL+V, which is consistent with the current VS2017 behavior.

8. SQL Server Management Studio: Restore Database from Device HANGS on clicking "..."

When I wish to restore a database from a *.back file, I go into SSMS, select Tasks->Restore Database, and on the dialog, I click the "From Device" radio button, and then click the "..." button to browse to the *.bak file I wish to restore. This then HANGS for MINUTES before the "select a backup device" dialog appears and allows me to drill down and select the backup file.

I have literally HUNDREDS and HUNDREDS (maybe THOUSANDS) of *.bak files on a big data drive with lots of folders. It seems like it might be trying to iterate over all…

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

28 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is a long outstanding issue (I’m sure we have duplicate reports elsewhere, like 32900767 and 32899099, and 32900224 to name a few).

We think we found the root cause and hopefully a fix will be made available in the next release of SSMS.

Thanks,
    -Matteo

9. SSMS 17.2 (and 17.1) Mirror configuration fails because mirror database is restoring

Attempting to configure database mirroring through the SSMS 17.2 (and 17.1) GUI between two SQL 2016 servers fails with "Database 'Test' cannot be opened. It is in the middle of a restore."

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Too Many Decimal-places in Size (MB) property

The "Size (MB)" property in SSMS reports the size with way too many decimal places if the size is not divisible by 1024. This can make quickly understanding the sizes of your databases in Object Explorer Details frustrating. This is often seen if a database has auto-grown by a percentage value. If a customer wants to see a precise Size value for their database, it is better for them to use a query or possibly the built-in Disk Usage report. Please eliminate the displaying of any decimal values, or at least a maximum of one decimal-place, in the Size (MB)…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Unable to script out ExternalDataSource of type BLOB_STORAGE.

It appears SSMS v17.7 does not know how to script out the external data source. I am getting this error when attempting to script out an existing data source.

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio
    ------------------------------

Unexpected value for enumeration type 5. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&ProdVer=14.0.17254.0+((SSMS_Rel_17_4).180502-0908)&EvtSrc=Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.ExceptionTemplates.WrongPropertyValueExceptionText&LinkId=20476

Attempting to look at Properties in the right click context menu also produces an error

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio

Cannot show requested dialog.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Invalid DataSourceType (SqlManagerUI)

Here is the version information:
    Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio 14.0.17254.0
    Microsoft Analysis Services Client Tools 14.0.1016.251
    Microsoft Data Access Components…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

started  ·  4 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. SSMS 18

When double clicking on an sql file, a new instance of SSMS 18 will start up, but the file never opens. This never happened when I was using SSMS 17.8. I'm running on Windows 10 OS.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is indeed a known issue in SSMS 18.0 (up until Preview 6).

I expect to have a fix in the next Preview.

In the meanwhile, you can workaround it by doing this:
    1) Close SSMS
    2) Edit the following file …\Common7\IDE\Extensions\Application\ssms.Application.pkgdef by replacing
    “DDEApplication”=“ssms.18.0”
    with
    “DDEApplication”=“ssms.15.0”
    3) Save the file

Thanks,
    -Matteo

13. Add support for storing UTF-8 natively in SQL Server.

You can store Unicode data in SQL Server today, but only in UCS-2 encoding. In many environments, UTF-8 is the dominating encoding for Unicode data, and it is the default
    encoding for XML documents.

Today UTF-8 applications must convert between UCS-2 and UTF-8 to retrieve and store
    data in SQL Server, which adds complexity and overhead to applications.

Another issue is that for languages written in the Latin script, UTF-8 is a much more effective storage format, since most for characters in text, only one byte is needed.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

started  ·  1 comment  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. SQL server Import and Export Wizard missing/disabled SSMS 18.0

SQL Server import and export is disabled in SSMS 18.0, is this temporary and available in later versions of 18 or we wouldn't have import export going forward?

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    started  ·  Matteo Taveggia responded

This is indeed an unintended removal. It only affected SQLEXPRESS.
    Thanks for the reporting it.
    We’ll fix it in a future release of SSMS 18.×.

15. Appending datetime to the end of ""Commands completed successfully ... 2018-03-05 09:28:10.1829207"

When I make any change to a stored procedure & compile it (F5),
    besides just returning ...
    "Commands completed successfully."

Could we append a datetime to the end of that please ?
    "Commands completed successfully ... 2018-03-05 09:28:10.1829207"

Buddy

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. SSMS 8.7 - CREATE OR ALTER is not supported for type ExtendedProperty. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo)

in object explorer, triggers, right click, use 'create or alter to', new query editor window, and get this error

===================================

CREATE OR ALTER is not supported for type ExtendedProperty. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo)

Program Location:

at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.SqlSmoObject.ScriptCreateOrAlter(StringCollection query, ScriptingPreferences sp)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.SqlSmoObject.ScriptCreateOrAlterInternal(StringCollection query, ScriptingPreferences sp, Boolean skipPropagateScript)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.SqlSmoObject.ScriptCreateOrAlterInternal(StringCollection query, ScriptingPreferences sp)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.ScriptMaker.ScriptAlterObjects(List`1 urns, Boolean isCreateOrAlter)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.ScriptMaker.ScriptUrns(List`1 orderedUrns)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.ScriptMaker.DiscoverOrderScript(IEnumerable`1 urns)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.ScriptMaker.ScriptWorker(List`1 urns, ISmoScriptWriter writer)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.ScriptMaker.Script(Urn[] urns, ISmoScriptWriter writer)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.ScriptMaker.Script(Urn[] urns)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.ObjectExplorer.ScriptGenerator.ScriptCreateAlter(SqlTextWriter sqlwriter, Server server, Urn[] urns, ScriptingOptions options)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.ObjectExplorer.ScriptNodeActionContext.Script(SqlTextWriter writer)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.ObjectExplorer.SqlScriptMenu.OnScriptItemClick(Object sender, EventArgs e)

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

started  ·  5 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Replication Monitor Crashing with SSMS 17.8.1

I installed SQL Server Management Studio 17.8.1 last night. This is from the About box:

Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio 14.0.17277.0
    Microsoft Analysis Services Client Tools 14.0.1016.262
    Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) 10.0.16299.15
    Microsoft MSXML 3.0 4.0 6.0
    Microsoft Internet Explorer 9.11.16299.0
    Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0.30319.42000
    Operating System 6.3.16299

This build has broken Replication Monitor. When I go to review the details of (for example) Distribution Agent Job Properties, it will crash with "Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AppLocal, Version=14.0.0.0"..... The located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference."

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

It turned out that UserVoice clipped the XML snipped I published (although it is there; you just can’t see).

I’ve updated the steps with instructions on how to download a new version of the .config file, so you don’t have to edit it.

I apologize for the inconvenience.

18. SMO Server class spams AGs with failed blank user logins when used with SqlCredential

When using SMO with a SqlCredential it may hammer the target server with failed connections to a blank username. These can be found in the SQL ERRORLOG. Interestingly SMO still appears to work but this prevents SqlCredentials from being used in production because it would trigger hundreds of thousands of failed logins every day.

The problem is caused because somewhere in SMO it is not detecting the SqlCredential correctly.

This does not happen on standalone servers. It does happen on servers in an AG, even when the SQL principal has sysadmin, and even with the server is a primary.

I've…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

started  ·  2 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Unable to import module on powershell core 6.2.2 on linux

When trying to import the SqlServer module on Linux I receive an error (see attached screenshot)

I think I found the issue in this line $assessmentFormatFile = Join-Path -Path $PSModuleRoot -ChildPath "Microsoft.SqlServer.Assessment.Format.ps1xml"
    in the SqlServer.psm1 file.
    The actual file name is Microsoft.SqlServer.Assessment.format.ps1xml
    the F in the format is lowercase

when changing the filename to match the code the import completes successfully.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. SSMS Extended Events UI Selects Actions on Hover

When selecting events in extended events session properties > events page the events are automatically selected when you hover your mouse over the row. I've attached a gif showing the behavior. I'm not clicking on anything in the gif, just moving my mouse.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

started  ·  1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3
  • Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base