SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server 2017 powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server 2017 brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Dark Theme for SQL Server Management Studio 2017 (SSMS 2017)

Dark Theme works well in Visual Studio and should be included in SSMS. It helps reduce eye strain after long periods of development and debugging.

713 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

unplanned  ·  47 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Dark Theme

Dark theme for SQL Server 2017 SSMS is missing.

256 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add a built-in table of numbers

There are several SQL problems that can be solved with a table of numbers or dates.
    This is a simple one-column table with numbers from 1 and up. Typical common problems
    solved by with such a function:

o Show me sales for all months, including months for which there were no sales.
    o Iterate over all characters in a string in a set-based statements.
    o Any other query which you need to drive with a consecutive seres.

It's easy to construct and fill such a table. However, there are a couple of problems
    with it:
    1) If you query needs…

134 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 278

<=-=Feb 1 2008 7:18PM=-=>

Thanks for the valuable suggestion.

This seems more like adding the sequence support which we’re seriously considering for the next major release.

Meanwhile, would using identity column help?

<=-=Feb 2 2008 2:11AM=-=>

It does not seem that you understood the request. This definitely has nothing to do with
    IDENTITY. I am less versed about sequences, but I don’t think they will cut it either. If you think
    it does, maybe you could provide an example? Take this problem: For the Orders table in
    Northwind, write a query that lists the number of orders for all days in 1997. The result set should
    include all 365 days, and list zero for days without a number.

This is a typical problem where you need a table of of numbers (or dates). While it’s easy to
    create such a table, I argue in this request that…

4. Search box in SSMS Object Explorer

Please add a search box in SSMS Object Explorer similar to what Visual Studio has in the Solution Explorer! It should include autocomplete and the robust filtering abilities (by database, by object type, by schema)

It is extremely slow to constantly have to navigate through the tree to find the objects you want. I just want to type where I want to go.

92 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Object Explorer doesn’t populate the entire tree in memory, unlike visual studio’s solution explorer. It wouldn’t know if database “MyDatabase” existed until you expanded the Databases node.
    There are third party plugins that provide this type of functionality, I believe, by downloading a bunch of data in the background and exposing a search.

5. Add support for ANSI standard row value constructors

The ANSI standards for SQL define a concept of row value constructors. These make it possible to write, for instance,

WHERE (col1, col2) NOT IN (SELECT col1, col2 FROM SomeOtherTable)

SQL Server does not currently support this constructions

79 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 176

<=-=Nov 13 2007 12:37AM=-=>

Hello

Thank you for your feedback. We’re certainly considering row value constructors for a future release of SQL Server.

- Sara Tahir
    Microsoft SQL Server

<=-=Aug 11 2010 8:03AM=-=>

I think row constructors would be a great and important addition to T-SQL. Just wanted to point out a few more cases that I’d love to see implemented:

- Assignment
    -
    —————————————————————————————————-

UPDATE dbo.T1
    SET (c1, c2, c3) = (@p1, @p2, @p3)
    WHERE keycol = @key;

— Logically equivalent to:

UPDATE dbo.T1
    SET c1 = @p1,
    c2 = @p2,
    c3 = @p3
    WHERE keycol = @key;

— Or with a subquery:

UPDATE dbo.T1
    SET (c1, c2, c3) = (SELECT T2.c1, T2.c2, T2.c3
    FROM T2
    WHERE T2.keycol = T1.keycol)
    WHERE keycol = @key;

— Logically equivalent to:
    UPDATE dbo.T1
    SET c1 = (SELECT T2.c1
    FROM T2
    WHERE T2.keycol = T1.keycol),
    c2 =…

6. Add language and optimizer support for ISO <distinct predicate>

SQL 1999 and later include the <distinct predicate> IS [NOT] DISTINCT FROM.

The definition of distinct is (quoting from the 2003 standard) "informally, not equal, not both null." This is consistent with where SQL Server (following the standard) already uses the keyword DISTINCT. Adding <distinct predicate> to T-SQL would simplify coding of joins, in particular, and as of 2008, MERGE statements in a variety of typical scenarios.

Example:

SELECT T1.this, T2.that
    FROM T1 JOIN T2
    ON T1.entry IS NOT DISTINCT FROM T2.entry

Currently, this must be written as

SELECT T1.this, T2.that
    FROM T1 JOIN T2
    ON (
    T1.entry = T2.entry …

79 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 289

<=-=Aug 9 2007 9:12AM=-=>

Benefits:
    Improved Readability, therefore Maintainablity, therefore reduced manpower $ and time expenditure.

<=-=Aug 27 2007 6:13PM=-=>

I definitely see the value of this. Thanks for proposing it. We’ll try to squeeze it in to SQL Server 2008 but things are really tight in terms of room for changes like this. It has to compete with many other things, including a bunch that have a larger impact on query performance, or that don’t have an easy workaround. This issue has a workaround, though it is not pretty and programmability would be enhanced a lot with the proposed enhancement. I’ll see what I can do.

Best regards,
    Eric

<=-=Oct 17 2007 2:06PM=-=>

Things do not look good for this enhancement for Katmai. It probably will not make it into the release. We’ll make a final assessment in a couple of weeks. Before we can consider this,…

7. Add built-in support for regular expressions in T-SQL

LIKE is very limited in what it can differentiate. The CLR has much more robust handling for regular expressions, but it's hard to get to from T-SQL.

Could we add built-in functionality in T-SQL to do regular expression pattern matching?

48 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 54

<=-=Sep 4 2007 12:29PM=-=>

If this is considered for a future version of SQL Server, please implement it according to the ISO SQL standard. In other words, implement the SQL Standard , which provides regular expression support through the operator [NOT] SIMILAR TO, which in the standard remains separate from LIKE.

<=-=Sep 5 2007 7:05AM=-=>

Like Steve, I would also like to stress that any implementation should be as per ANSI (SIMILAR predicate). The CLR functionality is not a relevant design consideration.

<=-=Oct 15 2007 8:43AM=-=>

This is a request we’ve heard a lot, and it’s of obvious value. I can’t promise when we’ll get to it—-it’s doubtful for this release—-but this is certainly on our radar.

Cheers,
    -Isaac

<=-=Mar 24 2010 2:54PM=-=>

Hi,
    I have resolved this request as duplicate of feedback item below:

https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/261342/regex-functionality-in-pattern-matching?wa=wsignin1.0

Umachandar, SQL Programmability Team

<=-=Mar 24 2010…
  8. Ability to upgrade SQL Server Management Studio directly from About menu

I think it will be really cool to update the management studio directly from the about menu when it is open and also it for checking for new versions and notify us.

Thanks in advance

46 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Setup + Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have a “Check for updates link” in the Tools menu today, and SSMS prompts you to upgrade when it detects a new version unless you have turned off auto-check for updates. We have no plans to further automate these updates. We are pushing more updates through WSUS for enterprise installations.

9. The Scalar Expression function would speed performance while keeping the benefits of functions.

SQL Server scalar User-Defined Functions (UDFs) have a performance problem that could be solved with an enhancement to the SQL Server database engine. Because SQL Server must execute each function on every row, using any function incurs a cursor like performance penalty.� However, since many UDFs are simple, they can often be converted to a single expression.� This suggestion proposes that a new type of UDF, the Scalar Expression UDF, be added to SQL Server.� Doing so would often eliminate the performance penalty paid when using scalar UDFs and allow them to be used more widely.� Using UDFs has the…

43 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 407

<=-=Oct 11 2007 4:28AM=-=>

ANS SQL 99 actualy defines a syntax (section 11.49) for function definition that can be used for an inline scalar function (body consisting of a single RETURN statement) – inlining being an implementation rather than a definitional issue. There are other database products (e.g. IBM DB2 UDB) that already support this, so going the ANS way would assist portability.

The enhancement is clearly necessary.

<=-=Oct 11 2007 8:45AM=-=>

In other programming languages, this might be a macro expansion, where an include file contains the macro, which expands into inline code at compile time. (I believe that this was discussed as a possibility in the very early days of Yukon.) In any case, however implemented, Inline Scalar UDF would be a major improvement over the speed-bump that exists now.

I was going to post this myself, but happily add my vote to the existing…

10. Window Functions (OVER Clause) - Reuse of Window Definitions with WINDOW Clause

This item is related to: https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=254391, only the former suggestion wasn't standard whereas the current one is. Therefore the current is preferred.

With several window functions that rely on the same window definition (or part of it), there's a lot of repetition of code. Standard SQL has a clause called WINDOW that allows naming a window definition or part of it, making it reusable.
    For example, instead of:

SELECT empid, ordermonth, qty,
    SUM(qty) OVER ( PARTITION BY empid
    ORDER BY ordermonth
    ROWS BETWEEN UNBOUNDED PRECEDING
    AND CURRENT ROW ) AS run_sum_qty,
    AVG(qty) OVER ( PARTITION BY empid
    ORDER BY…

33 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 173

<=-=Sep 27 2010 2:23PM=-=>

Hi Itzik,
    Thanks for your feedback on WINDOW clause. We will consider it for a future version of SQL Server.

Umachandar, SQL Programmability Team

<=-=Mar 21 2011 8:27PM=-=>

I’m currently migrating an established application from another database platform to SQL Server. There’s a big, powerful chunk of the app missing due to the absence of the WINDOW clause functionality.

I wouldn’t even want to think of how to implement this type of processing in SQLCLR, if that’s even possible.

And if WINDOW is standard SQL, shouldn’t it be included in the Microsoft product? Competitors have it.

<=-=Mar 2 2012 1:18PM=-=>

Reuse of Window Definitions with WINDOW Clause
    This has been rolled up into our “Window Aggregates Enhancements” DCR for future consideration. Thank you for reporting it. All the information you provided has been captured for future reference.

Thanks,
    Marc Friedman

<=-=Nov…
  11. Please create a redistributable command-line equivalent for SSMS -> Extended Events -> Export

We've created a .NET C# based export for XEL to CSV using QueryableXEventData but it takes 4 minutes to export a 1GB file. In SSMS, clicking Extended Events -> Export -> CSV takes 45 seconds for the same file.

Unfortunately, interative SSMS is required, so the process cannot be automated. Please create a command-line executable so we can automate the export at the delicious speeds of SSMS.

Also, if the NULL can be removed from output in both SSMS and the command line tool, that would be far better.

30 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Table of Contents in SSRS

Reporting Services should allow the dynamic creation of a table of contents for a given report.

The intial version should at least be able to state the page number of given objects (table, chart etc), with 'grouping' level links in subsequent releases.

Interactive versions should contain hyperlinks to the given page.

It should offer various styles as to how this may be achieved i.e. roman numerals for sections, filler dots for proportional width fonts between item and page number

25 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 25

<=-=Jun 15 2010 3:54AM=-=>

I completely agree.

I’ve googled and can’t even find a work around to create a professional style report with a table of contents.

Would be extremely useful.

<=-=May 26 2011 8:15AM=-=>

Agreed. This needs to be built into the product.

In addition to what was said above, I would request that this table of contents page end up as page 1 when you export to PDF and end up as page 1 when you print. (The document map doesn’t print, and it only appears in the bookmarks tab in Adobe Reader.)

A hack of a workaround is mentioned here. I�m not wild about it. We have to deploy a custom assembly� we have to store this info in a database table� we have to account for storing the page count per report per parameter combination per user (in case there�s data level user security).…

13. full justification in reporting services 2008 needed

full justification is a basic need in a reliable reporting solution, advanced formatting options like in crystal reports would make a better product but justification is mandatory.

25 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 527

<=-=Jan 27 2009 11:47AM=-=>

Thank you for providing this feedback. We will consider adding this functionality in a future release of SQL Server. If there are other rich formatting requirement that you have, please do add details to this item for those additional features also.

<=-=Dec 3 2009 11:21AM=-=>

When is this justify text going to be out? You commented on 1/27/2009 and it’s nearly a year since this has been resolved. How come the Silverlight team and accommodate the top requests within a few month but SQL team cannot do the same?

<=-=Mar 23 2010 12:37PM=-=>

In many cases a reporting tool is the best option to provide formatted data to clients, shareholders, and other individuals where the appearance of the report is as important as the accuracy of the data. It has to look good, not just be correct.

This is a serious deficiency, and while …

14. Allow Developer Edition to Emulate Feature Set of Different Editions

Since developer edition of SQL Server supports the Enterprise Edition feature set, it is easy to develop solutions that use Enterprise-only features when the solution will be deployed to Standard, Workgroup or Express edition.

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. OVER clause enhancement request - DISTINCT clause for aggregate functions

SQL Server 2005 introduced only partial support for the OVER clause. It is our strong belief that a more complete implementation of the OVER clause should be prioritized highly in consideration for future enhancements in SQL Server. A more complete implementation of the OVER clause can help in solving many common business problems with simpler, more intuitive, and faster solutions than available today and also substantially reduce the need for cursors.
    The following paper details the feature enhancement requests:
    http://tsql.solidq.com/OVER_Clause_and_Ordered_Calculations.doc
    The current feedback item addresses the OVER clause enhancement request - DISTINCT clause for aggregate functions, discussed in the paper…

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 577

<=-=Dec 13 2007 3:33PM=-=>

Dear Itzik.

Thanks a lot for your feedback… and the strong voting support for this feature. Indeed, as you know, I am very much in favor of extending our functionality in this area. For a variety of reasons we did not get this into SQL Server 2008, but we are certainly looking into it for a future release.

Keep the votes and comments coming…
    Michael

PS: My apologies for the late official reply…

<=-=Mar 10 2009 4:37PM=-=>

I am a big fan of the ranking functions and partition by clause. I used them extensively. It was a fantastic inclusion in 2005. However, I can’t tell the number of times I wished DISTINCT worked with the count function. I can’t believe it wasn’t included in 2008!! So I’ve added my vote to get this in ASAP.

<=-=Sep 15 2009 7:08AM=-=>

yes this would be…

16. Dark Theme in SSMS 2017

I am new here. Using SQL server for maybe 1 year and I am really sad because you don't have the dark theme... I hope you will be available it soon, thanks :)

i can do something like this: https://www.sqlshack.com/setting-up-the-dark-theme-in-sql-server-management-studio/, but it not as good as original :/

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. The optimizer should considering materialising results of CTEs

If you refer to a CTE multiple times in a query, SQL Server will in practice compute the CTE for every appearance. This means that in some situations as a user it is better for me to materialise the result into a temp table, and then run a query on a temp table. On the other hand there are situations where this adds extra overhead, and causes the entire batch to run slower.

Below is an example with a query where a CTE/temp table is self-join three times. The idea of the query is to show the change in order…

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 25

<=-=Jan 30 2011 2:35PM=-=>

Adam Mechanic and I have asked for hints to force materialization (218968 and 483181); however, I’d settle for auto-magic from the optimizer!

<=-=Jan 31 2011 9:30AM=-=>

Thanks for the feedback, Erland. This is a known issue and we’ll consider it for a future release. It’s not something we’ll be able to do anything about for Denali RTM though. We appreciate your suggestion!

Best regards,
    Eric Hanson
    Program Manager
    SQL Server Query Processing

<=-=Feb 3 2011 11:26AM=-=> Thanks Michael! -Eric <=-=Jan 31 2012 10:21AM=-=>

We closed this as a duplicate. -Eric

18. Provide a hint to force intermediate materialization of CTEs or derived tables

When working with SQL Server CTEs or derived tables, the query optimizer is free to in-line the inner queries, thereby changing the physical processing characteristics of the query. This is generally a good thing, but in some cases we (database developers working with the product) can make a better decision that the query optimizer and need to override it. In many cases this is handled (join and query hints), but one place that we currently have no control is intermediate materialization of derived tables. There are many cases in which materializing the inner set first produces a much better plan,…

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 174

<=-=Oct 12 2006 2:21PM=-=>

Dear Adam,

Thanks for your feedback. I think this idea has quite a bit of merit. You would like a way to tell the query processor to evaluate query subexpressions in a constrained order. There is no perfect workaround right now. You could use a multi-statement TVF, but that is hard to program and hard to read. Your workaround requires an extra sort. We’ll consider this as an improvement for a future release.

Regards,
    Eric

<=-=Feb 4 2010 8:40AM=-=>

SELECT x.EmployeeID,
    (
    SELECT COUNT_BIG(*)
    FROM HumanResources.Employee AS e
    WHERE e.ManagerId = x.ManagerID
    ) AS theCount
    FROM HumanResources.Employee AS x
    WHERE x.ManagerID IS NOT NULL;

is also 4 logical reads – no materialization needed.

In general, I’m not so sure about the need for this. If I truly need to materialize an intermediate result (which is typically quite small) I’m happy using a…

19. Relax restriction that table parameters must be readonly when SPs call each other.

I was excited when I heard that Katmai would have table parameters, but I was
    equally disappointed to hear that they would be readonly. Today programmers
    employ various tricks to pass table data between stored procedures - or give up
    and use cursors to call procedures row by row.

While only readonly table parameters is useful when passing data from client to
    server, they are of little use when stored procedures call each other.

For a longer discussion why read-write table parameters are essential, see
    http://www.sommarskog.se/tableparam.html where I discuss the topic in more
    detail, and argues more strongly than the…

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 337

<=-=Oct 1 2007 2:40AM=-=>

I could not agree less.This is more of ‘SHOULD HAVE’ and every T-SQL developer would love SQL server even more should this be implemented.

<=-=Oct 4 2007 2:22PM=-=>

I agree. Microsoft, if you’re listening, please implement this!

<=-=Oct 10 2007 7:33AM=-=>

I think it is very important.

Alex Kuznetsov,
    SQL Server MVP

<=-=Oct 22 2007 2:25AM=-=>

I agree. It would be a very nice and powerfull feature in SQL server 2008.

<=-=Oct 22 2007 5:57AM=-=>

Unless there is a very good reason not to, I urge you to implement it, it would be very useful.

<=-=Nov 4 2007 11:40AM=-=>

TVPs should definitely not be limited to being read-only. Without updateability, they will be perceived as an “impaired” new feature. As lead author in the upcoming Programming Microsoft SQL Server 2008 book by MS Press, I urge the SQL team to support…

20. Should be possible to create a filtered index on a deterministic persisted computed column

On a client site the other day, I came across a situation (unfortunately too common) where a column in a table was being used for two purposes. It could either hold an integer value or a string. Only about 100 rows out of many millions had the integer value. Some of the client code needed to calculate the maximum value when it was an integer. First step I tried was to add a persisted computed column like so:

CREATE TABLE dbo.LousyTable
    ( ColumnWithMixedValues varchar(20),
    SomeOtherColumn varchar(10),
    MixedValueColumnAsInt AS
    CASE WHEN ISNUMERIC(ColumnWithMixedValues) = 1
    THEN CAST(ColumnWithMixedValues AS int)
    ELSE NULL
    END…

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 158

<=-=Dec 4 2009 10:01PM=-=>

I think this goes further than computed columns, as a filtered index can’t be used for something as simple as WHERE num % 2 = 0 (with no computed columns in sight). I really want to see filtered indexes become more useful.

<=-=Dec 7 2009 10:29AM=-=>

Greg,

Thanks for your feedback. I agree we should allow filtered indexes on persisted computed columns, and should support more complex filter expressions, at some point in the future. We restricted the functionality for the first version but we’ll consider this for a future release. The documentation should be more precise about the restrictions on predicate expressions. I’ll follow up on that.

Best regards,
    Eric

<=-=Dec 8 2009 8:56PM=-=>

I was AMAZED when I could not create a filtered index on computed column.

But I as APPALLED and DUMBFOUNDED when I could not create a filtered indexes on…

← Previous 1 3 4 5 168 169
  • Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base