SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server 2017 powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server 2017 brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Defect in DacFx extracting a DacPac with nullable persisted computed columns

We are having issues with schema compare with visial studio 2017 (15.8.5) whereby comparing a dacpac with a null-able persisted computed column on a table is presententing a difference when in my opinion it shouldn't.

Please see attached scenarios for examples where this issue is apparent.

I have added the defect to github.com for your convenience so that you can run through the scenarios:

https://github.com/fenngineering/sql2016-nullable-computed-column-defect
    Thanks

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

completed  ·  2 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. UTF-8 in SQL 2019: Invalid UTF-8 bytes get (Msg 682, Level 22, State 148) Internal error. Buffer provided to read column value is too small.

When inserting some invalid UTF-8 byte sequences, you can get either a mysterious (and changing) extra byte, OR in some cases you can get the following error (and are then disconnected):

Msg 682, Level 22, State 148, Line XXXXX
    Internal error. Buffer provided to read column value is too small. Run DBCC CHECKDB to check for any corruption.

For these tests, the database does not need to have a "_UTF8" Collation as its default Collation.

The first test shows that inserting a value of 0xE4A9, a partial / invalid UTF-8 sequence, into a VARCHAR(2) via a CTE works just fine:

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. UTF-8 in SQL 2019: NVARCHAR to VARCHAR(MAX) can get Msg 8152 "String or binary data would be truncated"

In SQL Server 2019 CTP 2, you can receive a "String or binary data would be truncated" error when converting (implicitly or explicitly) an NVARCHAR value into VARCHAR(MAX) if the Unicode string contains and Code Points that require 3 bytes in UTF-8 AND the size (in bytes) of the NVARCHAR value is not large enough to contain the UTF-8 version of the string once the 2-byte UTF-16 characters become 3-byte UTF-8 characters. Hence, this is only a potential problem when Code Points U+0800 through U+FFFF (decimal 2048 - 65535) are present in the NVARCHAR value.

This does not affect VARCHAR(1…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. SSRS export to CSV does not respect Row Visibility

The SSRS CSV renderer does not respect Row Visibility. So if a row in a tablix is suppressed with a Visibility expression, it does not export to other formats like PDF or Excel, but the row DOES export to CSV, so the data does not match up to what is on the report in other formats. BAD!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. SSMS v17.6 crashes on job schedule properties dialog

1 . Connect to a server instance you wish to establish logshipping from
    2. Right-click on the database you wish to logship and choose ‘Tasks’ -> ‘Ship transaction logs…’
    3. Configure primary database settings then click ‘add’ under the secondary config…
    4. Connect to the intended secondary, set options for initialize secondary database (I usually use ‘yes, generate…’)
    5. Click the ‘copy files’ tab, set a location, and then hit ‘schedule’
    6. This error will show up:

7. If you click the ‘restore transaction log’ and hit the ‘schedule’ button there, the same error shows up:

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. SQL 2017 SSRS / Analysis Services management packs for SCOM?

Although SQL Server 2017+ (Windows and Linux) management packs for SCOM exist, there seems to be no SQL Server 2017 Reporting Services (Native mode) or SQL Server 2017 Analysis Services management packs for SCOM available yet. When will this be rectified? (See MP wiki screenshot - all other SQL versions have AS/SSRS management packs).

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Option to disable Reporting Services 2017 telemetry

It does not appear to be possible to disable telemetry that is part of Reporting Services 2017 (version 14.0.600.689) via Microsoft.ApplicationInsights.dll. The cookies ai_user and ai_session are set and requests initiated to MS-owned cdn web pages.

Options that exist for the independently distributed ReportViewerControl (available via NuGet) do not appear to apply to Standalone SSRS 2017.

I am also using a custom Forms authentication setup.

See also https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/e6fd0eb7-2e6a-4818-a1bc-d18d3be89e73/how-to-disable-telemetry-for-ssrs-2017?forum=sqlreportingservices.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. SQL Server 2017 on Linux System Databases Rebuild Option

For the longest time I've been running SQL Server 2017 GA in Ubuntu 17.10. But, recently, after a recent apt update/upgrade to the OS, it stopped working.

I can't find any documentation to rebuild the system databases as the message I'm getting from the log in the image provided.

It would be nice to have an option as "/ACTION=REBUILDDATABASE".

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Setup + Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Query returns all rows when subquery fails

If subquery fails with
    "Msg 207, Level 16, State 1, Line 16
    Invalid column name"
    all data is returned from the outer query.

if object_id('justnow','U') is not null drop table justnow
    if object_id('string','U') is not null drop table string
    go

select getdate() somedate
    into justnow
    go

select 'xyz' txt
    into string
    go

select *
    from justnow
    where somedate in (select somedate from string)
    go

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  2 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Exception calling "Deploy" with "3" argument(s): "Object reference not set to an instance of an object."

I'm getting this error when deploying a dacpac using the nuget version of DacFx.

The dacpak in question is very simple - one sproc, one table, a pre and post script (both empty).

This deploys fine if I use either sqlpackage.exe (17.4.0 GA DacFx) or Visual Studio Data Tools 2017 (latest version). It is just an issue with the library.

(Full stack trace and sample Powershell code in attachment)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Why must one perform a full backup to add to an AG, when the wizard does a full backup?

When adding a database to an availability group, one must perform a full backup, before meeting the prerequisites.
    However, once you do this, the wizard just performs another full backup anyway.
    This seems redundant.
    Why not just let the wizard do this, and not make it a requirement, as it's going to happen anyway?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We take a number of inputs into consideration when triaging issues. Business impact (severity of the issue) as well as Votes (or likelihood of a customer being impacted) are just two of the factors we consider when triaging.

We do not simply use votes alone.

15. Delete key doesn't work in SSMS 2012 (RC0) Object Explorer to rename an object

Delete Key seems to be not working in Object Explorer (2012 RC0).

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Enable batch mode for all queries

As of SQL 2014 batch mode is tied to whether the query reference any columnstore index in any way or not. It is not tied to actually retrieving data out of a columnstore index. For example you can make any query at all use batch mode by joining to a zero-row columnstore dummy table:

LEFT JOIN ZeroRowsCsDummyTable on 0=1

The optimizer deletes that join and there is zero performance impact. Real speedups can be observed in many query by mechanically slapping this onto queries.

So apparently the engine supports batch mode in all queries and it is profitable to use…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We have rolled out the public preview of batch mode on rowstore starting with SQL Server 2019 CTP 2.0 and coming soon to Azure SQL Database. We still won’t have this run for * all * queries given that it isn’t appropriate for all workload types, but we will expand the query optimization search space based on heuristics. Described here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/relational-databases/performance/intelligent-query-processing?view=sql-server-2017#batch-mode-on-rowstore

17. SSMS install location

SSMS should not be "magically apple installed" to wherever it pleases. it should ask me where the #$@% I want it to live. How the hell do you drop such a simple and basic feature? Rationalize all you want about how nobody *needs* it, or it has a small footprint so it's ok, or ... or ... - but it's stupid.

Simple stuff MS, stop turning into Apple and find your way again... atm you're lost on every simple thing and customers like my enormous company are starting to fall away... (We dropped dozens of sql server installs this year)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Intellisense for REPLACE function is useless

Please have a more helpful Intellisense description for the REPLACE function...

You need to come up with something better than REPLACE(expression nvarchar(1), expression nvarchar(1), expression nvarchar(1)) RETURNS nvarchar(1)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. SSMS 17.2 Temporal Syntax Intellisense Issues

Applies to SSMS 17.2 with SQL Azure 12.0.2000.8 RTM Engine Edition 5

In a simple query such as "SELECT * FROM Users FOR SYSTEM_TIME AS OF '2017-08-24';", SSMS is incorrectly flagging "AS" with error "Incorrect Syntax near 'AS'. Expecting ID."

In another simple query such as "SELECT * FROM Login INNER JOIN Users FOR SYSTEM_TIME AS OF '2017-08-24' ON (Users.GUID = Login.UserGUID);", SSMS additionally incorrectly flags "FOR" with error "Incorrect Syntax near 'FOR'."

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. SSMS 2016 loses Snippets

Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio 13.0.16106.4
    Microsoft Analysis Services Client Tools 13.0.1700.441
    Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) 10.0.14393.0
    Microsoft MSXML 3.0 4.0 5.0 6.0
    Microsoft Internet Explorer 9.11.14393.0
    Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0.30319.42000
    Operating System 6.3.14393

Occasionally, my code snippets are simply gone and I have to re-add them.

I keep my custom snippets in a folder outside SQL folder paths (they're synced to github for my team). I add them using the Code Snippets Manager's Add button to add the folder.

Works fine, until one day they're just not there anymore. Didn't update, didn't do anything. They're just gone.

It's…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base