SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. SSMS change connection to multiple servers

In SSMS, I can use the registered servers pane to open a new query window connected to multiple servers. Make it so that I can then right-click in that window, choose "connection / change connection," and then change my connection to a new group of servers, or at least choose multiple single servers. As it is now, "change connection" only lets you point at a single server.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. DCR - Attach database with NORECOVERY

might be a small one, but a very important one at least for me... Consider you want to move a database that is on a SAN to a different machine, or even move a file to a different disk. The way to do it (or at least one way...) would be to detach and attach. Easy... Unless... you want to do this on a mirror or a Logship Destination...
    Why? Because spattachdb always recovers the DB, and for a mirror or logship destination you would need the DB back in NORECOVERY mode.
    So I really need to see…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 20

<=-=Sep 27 2010 9:57AM=-=>

Greetings.
    Thanks for your suggestion. This is on my list of enhancements which I’d like to get into the product.
    We will continue tracking this request and hope to get it in as time and resources permit.

Kevin Farlee
    SQL Server Storage Engine PM

3. MSIT-MSO: Debugging SQL Query fails with an error The EXECUTE permission was denied on the object 'sp_enable_sql_debug'

When i connected to a server on which i have read-only access, and tried to start debugging; debugging failed with the following error. This makes user clueless what kind of access he needs as 'spenablesql_debug' is not documented.

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio

Failed to start debugger

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

The EXECUTE permission was denied on the object 'spenablesql_debug', database 'mssqlsystemresource', schema 'sys'. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 229)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&ProdVer=10.00.1442&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=229&LinkId=20476

BUTTONS:

OK

And subsequently it errored out with

Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio

Unable to start program 'MSSQL:://msorguat/master/sys/=0'.

OK

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 60

<=-=Jun 18 2008 10:06AM=-=>

Srikantj,

The minimum security requirement is sysadmin. This is by design from SQL engine security.

Regards,
    Eric

<=-=Apr 23 2010 11:44AM=-=>

How is that by design? Security best practices most definitely do NOT recommend making everyone an sysadmin.

<=-=Sep 9 2010 6:58PM=-=>

I agree with the last comment. If a developer in my shop wants to debug their code in their own database, I shouldn’t be forced to give them the ability to ‘DROP DATABASE master’ in order to accomplish that goal.

Consider this a request for Microsoft to add something, a server role, a database role, or some other facility to grant a user permissions required to run the Debug facility in Management Studio.

<=-=Jan 24 2011 10:05AM=-=>

I agree with the users. sysadmin should be reserved for administration and contains to many rights for a standard developer who needs debugging capability.…

4. Allow Common Table Expressions in all query expressions

Currently, a Common Table Expression (CTE) is allowed only in query statements (SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, and DELETE). According to the SQL:2003 standard, a CTE (or "<with clause>", as the standards call it) should be allowed in all query expression, which includes subqueries. This would enable us to write, for instance:

IF EXISTS
    (
    WITH tab AS
    (SELECT 1 AS col)
    SELECT * FROM tab
    )
    PRINT 'okiedokie'
    ELSE PRINT 'not ok';

This syntax, which is allowed according to SQL:2003, is not accepted by SQL Server 2005. I have reported this as a bug (see https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=254336), but this has been…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 47

<=-=Nov 14 2007 11:20AM=-=>

Hello,

Thank you for sending your feedback to us. We will consider adding this functionality in a future release of SQL Server.

Thanks,
    Vineet Rao

<=-=Dec 3 2007 1:42PM=-=>

Dear Hugo

Thank you for your feedback. I really like your suggestion and I can see how useful it could be. Unfortunately, we’re at a point in the release cycle for SQL Server 2008 where we’re not able to address this issue as part of the release. We’ll consider it for the next release.

Best regards,
    Eric Hanson

5. SQL Server doesn't have an ANSI INTERVAL data type

SQL Server does not have an ANSI INTERVAL data type. When we create effectively dated tables we have to simulate a time period by using 2 DATETIME columns (StartDate, EndDate). However, often we don't want to allow 2 rows to have overlapping date ranges and many times we don't want to allow gaps in there either. All of these validations have to be done in SQL. It is cumbersome and probably doesn't perform as well as a data type would.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 76

<=-=Apr 21 2009 9:51AM=-=>

Thank you for your feedback. This is something that we would like to add to SQL Server and we will definitively be keeping it in mind for future releases!

Again, thanks for your feedback!
    -Tobias

<=-=Nov 4 2009 1:15PM=-=>

Please implement ANSI SQL date math.
    DATEDATE —> INTERVAL (equivalent for datetime, datetime2, datetimeoffset)
    DATE + INTERVAL —> DATE (equivalent for datetime, datetime2, datetimeoffset)
    TIMETIME —> INTERVAL (range specified by application)
    TIME + INTERVAL —> TIME
    DATE + TIME —> TIMESTAMP (i.e., datetime or datetime2 in SQL Server; NOT timestamp; equivalent for datetimeoffset)

There is no way (without conversion) to add values of the new date and time types.
    DATEADD is very limiting (only one datepart at a time).
    Conversions so often necessary now to work with date/time data clutter code and impact performance.

<=-=Dec 18 2009 9:25AM=-=>

This sounds like…

6. Allow text to be justify aligned in a report

Text can only be aligned left, center or right. There is no option to justify align text.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 91

<=-=Apr 17 2009 11:15AM=-=>

I am currently slated to release a reporting system for a financial industry client that utilizes all Microsoft technology: SQL Server 2008, SQL Server Integration Services, SQL Server Reporting Services. The final proof was rejected by upper management due to the inability to fully justify text. It’s hard to explain to them that this is not available, when it’s considered a technology that Microsoft has been providing (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc…) for decades. In the financial industry, fully justified text is considered industry standard and I understand their position.

Currently the only solution I can offer them is to abandon Reporting Services and switch to Crystal Reports.

<=-=Jun 18 2009 12:08AM=-=>

I also need even justification of text on both left and right edges of paragraphs.

My client needs this for financial publishing of their mutual fund marketing documents, whch are about 50% statistics…

7. SMSS missing format document

In the development team I am working to, we are using a formatting code convention different from that used in the book onlines, so when we use the Query Designer, we have to manually format the code. Apart from that, there is not an easy way to format the T-SQL code in any kind of code convention, I mean, differently that in VS for c#, I can't find any "Format Document" or "Format Selection" command (even in VS 2005 itself, there is no way to format T-SQL code)

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 5

<=-=Mar 28 2006 4:52PM=-=>

Thank you for your suggestion for formatting t-sql statements. We will consider this for a future release of SQL Server

<=-=May 12 2011 1:27AM=-=>

Hi,

We took a look at this bug along with several others recently. Unfortunately, triaging it against other critical bugs, I do not think we would get to investigating this in the near future. However, we have taken note of this internally, and when we revisit this functionality in the future, we will try and get this resolved.

Thanks for writing to Microsoft.

Thanks,
    Chandraveer

8. Need a way to set the default encoding for query files in SMSS.

A script saved from SMSS into a .sql file is saved as UTF-16 (unicode) encoding by default. This is a similar issue to the one raised in another feedback entry where the output to CSV is saved as UTF-16. This behavior of SMSS is a departure from the way Query Analyzer (which I used for the last four years) handled these files and it has taken me quite some time to track down the reason things suddenly stopped working correctly.

Many version control systems (specifically CVS, SubVersion, SVN, and Perforce, which I have used) do not properly handle this encoding.…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 168

<=-=Apr 8 2008 10:17AM=-=>

Chris – great feedback. I’m going to keep this suggestion on file (we can’t do this for SQL Server 2008, unfortunately) because I want to evaluate two of the areas you’ve mentioned, Source Control and Project Creation. We have quite a few things I want to do there to make the development experience better.

Thanks again for submitting.

Buck Woody, SQL Server Program Manager

<=-=Jun 13 2008 9:00AM=-=>

We have encountered this same issue today. In our case, Visual Studio 2005 database project will create a new script file as ANSI.

Visual Studio 2008 creates new script files as UTF-8.
    And SSMS creates them as Unicode 1200 (UCS-2 little endian) when doing Script CREATE to file (unless you do New Query, then File → Save, which saves as ANSI!)

So it’s a mess in the project and/or source control…

9. Add CREATE DOMAIN command

Can't define domains in SQL Server 2005 for data types.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 36

<=-=Feb 17 2006 2:04PM=-=>

Thanks for the feedback. We’ll consider your input for planning of future release of SQL Server.

<=-=Jul 19 2007 1:38AM=-=>

Hello

please consider ALTER DOMAIN, too.
    This should allow minor changes to the domain (like changing the size of a char column) WITHOUT data loss.

Thx
    EH

<=-=Nov 15 2008 7:21AM=-=>

This feature is a standard feature in ISO SQL and is well used in case tool like Power AMC while modeling the datas. Its a feature that can optimize the data model by fixing globally the types of informations across the tables that will result of no implicit cast while using two columns in a join wich can have been differently created in two different tables. Example : column name in table customer as varchar(25) and column name in table employee as nchar(32). This would be avoided by using a NAME SQL

10. Execute Current Statement

Currently required to highlight query text to run one statement in one instance of a query window. This is a bit of a nuisance. I have used TOAD for SQL Server in the past and I could just position my cursor within a single sql statement and execute the current statement only and not all sql statements within the current query window instance. The latter method seems to be much more efficient for those of us administrators with a bunch of sql statements in one query window and just wishing to run select statements.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 7

<=-=Jun 6 2005 8:24AM=-=>

Thank you for your suggestion regarding executing a statement without having to select it. We will consider this for future releases.
    Bill Ramos

<=-=Oct 11 2006 5:59PM=-=>

This hasn’t made it into a service pack, but we’re still considering this item for a future release of SQL Server.

Paul A. Mestemaker II
    Program Manager
    Microsoft SQL Server Manageability
    http://blogs.msdn.com/sqlrem/

<=-=Dec 3 2007 8:32AM=-=>

Although we won’t be able to provide this functionality for SQL Server 2008, we can consider it for a future release based on overall customer demand.

Thanks,
    Ken Van Hyning

<=-=Aug 5 2009 4:28AM=-=>

Hello,
    Like the OP I’ve used TOAD and been really impressed with this feature. Would really like to have this in SSMS.

I raised a forum thread on it prior to coming here: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqltools/thread/4fcd052d-a2db-4431-b80f-9a2ca278ff8a/

This submisison is now 4 years old – is it worth my…

11. Deprecation of sysprocesses - DMV's doesn't fully replace all columns

According to BOL sysprocesses system view is on its way out of the product.

The column (there may be others) dbid in sysprocesses can not be determined through the execution DMV's.

sys.dmexecrequests only shows currently executing sessions, so if a connection is inactive but still has context within a database there is no reliable way of determining this without the use of sysprocesses.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 122

<=-=Feb 12 2007 11:19AM=-=>

Hi,

Thanks for raising this issue. We are aware of this issue and will be fixing it in future releases of SQL Server. Unfortunately, at this point the fix cannot make it in for SP2.

Regards,
    Tomer Verona
    SQL Server Development

<=-=Feb 12 2007 9:31PM=-=>

So long as the functionality of sysprocesses can be fully reproduced using DMV’s before it is deprecated from the product then I don’t see a problem.

Thanks,
    Tony.

<=-=Nov 19 2007 1:57PM=-=>

Hi Tony,

Our goal is to ensure that the replacement covers all necessary functionality before deprecating a feature. In this particular instance, we missed it and we will add it in a future release of SQL Server.

Thanks,
    -Vineet Rao

<=-=Feb 4 2008 9:30AM=-=>

Please let us know if this is to be included in Katmai (CTP6/7) or reopen the issue until a timeline is established.

<=-=Jul…
  12. Data Masking

Data masking (also known as data scrambling, data anonymization and data Obfuscation) is the process of replacing sensitive information copied from production databases to test or
    non-production databases with realistic, but scrubbed, data based on masking rules.

Data masking is the process of protecting sensitive information in non-production databases from inappropriate visibility. After sanitization, the database remains perfectly usable - the look-and-feel is preserved - but the information content is secure.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 7

<=-=Aug 31 2009 1:31PM=-=>

Hi,

Thank you for your feedback. We understand that datamasking is an important feature and we will consider providing the feature in a future release of SQL Server. In the meantime, similar results can be achieved by using the Data Generation Plans feature of VS Team Server Database Edition, creating a SSIS package, or through the use of views and custom CLR funtions that will mask the data.

Il-Sung.

<=-=Jan 10 2013 6:29AM=-=>

Hi,

Has this feature been added in SQL Server 2012?

Thanks
    Rakesh

<=-=May 9 2013 6:00PM=-=>

Hi, unfortunately this did not make it into SQL server 2012 but we are tracking this for future version of SQL Server.

13. Mutiple aggregates in PIVOT

Currently the PIVOT operator is:

PIVOT ( aggregatefunction ( valuecolumn )

FOR pivot_column IN ( &lt;column_list&gt; )

[ AS ] table_alias

I would like to see this enhanced to:

PIVOT ( aggregatefunction ( valuecolumn ) [ ,...n ]

FOR pivot_column IN ( &lt;column_list&gt; )

[ AS ] table_alias [ ( column_alias [ ,...n ] ) ]

The resulting columns are ordered such that all of the aggregation function applications for a single pivot column value are consecutive.

This would permit both multiple aggregation functions on a single value column (e.g. both MIN and MAX) or application…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 12

<=-=Nov 13 2006 6:46PM=-=>

Thank you for submitting this feature request. This is now under consideration for upcoming version of SQL Server.

—G2

<=-=Mar 10 2011 6:15PM=-=>

Hello Mark,

I have resolved your request as duplicate of one below:

http://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/127071

We will track your feature request as part of that one.

Umachandar, SQL Programmability Team

<=-=Mar 10 2011 11:49PM=-=>

I do not agree that this request is a duplicate of feedback 127071. That feedback is for a dynamic column list (dynamic IN) , where the internal query determines the shape of the output result set. This query is to support multiple aggregates; the shape of the output result set remains static. Specifically I am not suggesting any change in the IN () clause, which is the target of 127071.

A concrete examples that we have face is when dealing with currencies – we need to simultanously aggregate…

14. Have SSMS respect a Resource Lock

When I set a lock on the Resource Group where my Azure SQL Server and DB reside - I can still delete the DB using SQL Server Management Studio This action should at least generate a prompt in SSMS indicating a Resource Lock has been set

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

SSMS doesn’t know anything about Azure resource groups at this time. I suspect the lock only applies to the ARM REST API. Perhaps this suggestion should be copied over to Azure SQL Database; they could check for this lock on the server side and fail the TSQL query.

15. Dark Theme in DevOps ignores color in textboxes

The Dark Theme for DevOps works nicely in general, but text in textboxes does not show font color/background color.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. "Add Azure Replica" button missing in SSMS 17.9. Present in SSMS 2016

In the New Availability Group Wizard, the "Add Azure Replica" button is missing in SSMS 17.9 but is present in SSMS 2016 (130.0.16106.4). Is this a bug?

I saw this related item: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/7512f490-5b30-49f0-b617-3eabce321015/add-azure-replica-button-missingnot-present?forum=sqldisasterrecovery

Thank you!
    Mike Petrak

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Mike,
    This is not really a bug.

The button was removed from SSMS intentionally because SSMS only supported the “classic” resource provider, which was deprecated. As such, the functionality was not there anymore and there was no point in confusing the users by exposing something that was indeed broken.

We encourage people to upvote this feedback item: this way we’ll be able to prioritize the request accordingly.

17. SSRS: Moving a rectangle by changing the Location Property needlessly changes child coordinates

Tiny quirk (SQL 2008 R2 SP1 CU3):

In a Report Design with a rectangle (probably other containers as well) containing one or more child controls, moving the rectangle using the mouse or arrow keys leaves the contents intact.

Moving the rectangle by changing the location property, however, manipulates all child coordinates in such a way that thes remain stationary relative to the body, which very likely hides them completely. If there is a conscious decision behind this feature, I'd vote to reconsider, to simplify, and to have movement by property typing behave consistently with movement by mouse.

Curiously, this way,…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 21

<=-=Feb 14 2012 2:56PM=-=>

I’m certain that this has changed since SSRS 2005. It has destroyed my method of moving my rectangles around while keeping the contents intact.

<=-=Apr 11 2012 2:40PM=-=>

Moving a rectangle or other element with the mouse keeps the relative position of child elements intact. It should be the same with using the location property. Quite often, I need to modify the location property to get precise alignments.

<=-=Mar 15 2013 3:15AM=-=>

Still present in 2008R2, within VS2010.

<=-=Oct 15 2013 2:38AM=-=>

Behavior is still present in SQL Server 2012.

<=-=Jan 10 2014 1:33PM=-=>

This bug is extremely irritating when working with complex reports which use rectangles to contain groupings of tablixes, as changing one rectangle seems to somehow affect other rectangles child objects.

<=-=Jul 13 2016 9:35AM=-=>

Still an issue in SQL Server 2014…

18. new virtual table: errors. It would analogous to the deleted and inserted tables

If a constraint violation happens in a DML statement and the input was a dataset, the offending data in the source is difficult to find. The statement fails and the datasource has to be searched (and possibly recreated) and checked for the violation.

Thread from the forum.
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/transactsql/thread/3e17f8dc-9685-412b-8e76-94ad41536d5d

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 650

<=-=Dec 20 2012 1:14PM=-=>

Oh god yes. If you do this please be sure to include rows not inserted due to IGNORE_DUP_KEY settings on indexes and constraints.

<=-=Dec 20 2012 1:17PM=-=>

@Rob: No, please do not include those rows! If I’ve added IGNORE_DUP_KEY it’s because I want to ignore them. They’re NOT errors. (Okay, now we can see how difficult this feature would be to implement…)

<=-=Dec 20 2012 1:22PM=-=>

“It could also include a column for the constraint name that was violated.”

An error may be caused by something other than a constraint violation, e.g. a data type violation:

DECLARE @t TABLE (i INT)
    INSERT @t SELECT ‘abc’

… so I’d rather the virtual table have a column with the actual error message. (Which would include the constraint name anyway.) And maybe a column for the error number.

<=-=Dec 20 2012 1:24PM=-=>

Of course the last…

19. Add to the FULL TEXT INDEX a REGULAR EXPRESSION ability

My requirement comes from having to find all records in a table of documents in which there is a field "Title" and "DocumentText" through a FULLTEXT search, but in most cases the search is to find documents that contain an item number. This item code is an alphanumeric variable composition but may be correctly recognized by a regular expression.

Actually I must search through the exact expression LIKE '%item%' with very poor performance.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 3

<=-=Feb 25 2011 10:27AM=-=>

Thanks for your suggestion for improving the Fulltext Search Featureset. This is an often requested feature and is on our radar for improvements in future releases. At this stage unfortunately we can not provide any timeline on its availability.

Best regards
    Microsoft SQL Server Search Group

20. QUALIFY - Request for a New Filtering Clause

This entry describes a request for a new query filtering clause called QUALIFY in SQL Server.

As of SQL Server 2008 (including R2) T-SQL supports three standard filtering clauses based on predicates (ON, WHERE, HAVING), and one nonstandard filtering option based on a number/percent of rows and ordering (TOP). Window calculations (e.g., ranking and aggregate calculations that use the OVER clause, and hopefully others in the future) are only allowed in the SELECT and ORDER BY clauses of a query, and therefore you cannot refer to those directly in the filtering clauses that are based on predicates. For example, the…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 371

<=-=Feb 10 2010 1:31PM=-=>

What a great suggestion – this would make writing clearer and more self-documenting code so much easier.

<=-=Feb 15 2010 7:53AM=-=>

I do these kinds of ROW_NUMBER() queries ALL the time. This would be a wonderful option. Please give this serious consideration. It would make my code much cleaner.

<=-=Feb 16 2010 7:12AM=-=>

This would be extremely useful. The OVER clause was really handy, but the CTE is a necessary evil if you want to get the most use out of row_number(). You have my vote.

Thanks,
    Eric

<=-=Feb 17 2010 4:09PM=-=>

Hi Itzik,

Thank you for your suggestion! This does sound like a very useful addition to T-SQL. We will be triaging the request and see if it can make it into a future release of SQL Server.

Again, thanks for your feedback!
    - Tobias, SQL Server Engine

<=-=Mar 2 2010…
  • Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base