SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server 2017 powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server 2017 brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Assign default measure in an SSAS tabular model solution

It would be great to have an option to assign a calculated measure as a default measure. This feature is not available while creating a tabular model solution. Though there is an option while creating a multidimensional cube using SSAS.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. new virtual table: errors. It would analogous to the deleted and inserted tables

If a constraint violation happens in a DML statement and the input was a dataset, the offending data in the source is difficult to find. The statement fails and the datasource has to be searched (and possibly recreated) and checked for the violation.

Thread from the forum.
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/transactsql/thread/3e17f8dc-9685-412b-8e76-94ad41536d5d

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 650

<=-=Dec 20 2012 1:14PM=-=>

Oh god yes. If you do this please be sure to include rows not inserted due to IGNORE_DUP_KEY settings on indexes and constraints.

<=-=Dec 20 2012 1:17PM=-=>

@Rob: No, please do not include those rows! If I’ve added IGNORE_DUP_KEY it’s because I want to ignore them. They’re NOT errors. (Okay, now we can see how difficult this feature would be to implement…)

<=-=Dec 20 2012 1:22PM=-=>

“It could also include a column for the constraint name that was violated.”

An error may be caused by something other than a constraint violation, e.g. a data type violation:

DECLARE @t TABLE (i INT)
    INSERT @t SELECT ‘abc’

… so I’d rather the virtual table have a column with the actual error message. (Which would include the constraint name anyway.) And maybe a column for the error number.

<=-=Dec 20 2012 1:24PM=-=>

Of course the last…

3. Add to the FULL TEXT INDEX a REGULAR EXPRESSION ability

My requirement comes from having to find all records in a table of documents in which there is a field "Title" and "DocumentText" through a FULLTEXT search, but in most cases the search is to find documents that contain an item number. This item code is an alphanumeric variable composition but may be correctly recognized by a regular expression.

Actually I must search through the exact expression LIKE '%item%' with very poor performance.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 3

<=-=Feb 25 2011 10:27AM=-=>

Thanks for your suggestion for improving the Fulltext Search Featureset. This is an often requested feature and is on our radar for improvements in future releases. At this stage unfortunately we can not provide any timeline on its availability.

Best regards
    Microsoft SQL Server Search Group

4. Page Compression for Out-of-Row LOB Storage

Disappointingly page compression does not apply to out-of-row LOB storage for data types such as VARCHAR(MAX) and NVARCHAR(MAX) [and also TEXT and NTEXT].

Would you consider adding this in a future release?

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 10

<=-=Mar 8 2011 9:34AM=-=>

Thanks for contacting SQL Server team with the feedback. We will consider this in a future release. At this time, you can compress Out-of-row BLOBs by storing them as FileStream on a compressed volume. But I do understand that this is not your scenario as the data types you mentioned are not suitable for Filestream

Thanks
    Sunil

<=-=Mar 8 2011 1:30PM=-=>

Sunil, thanks for the feedback. I had considered this option, but we’re using database mirroring as a resiliency solution which, unfortunately, doesn’t support Filestream.

Thanks
    Chris

<=-=Jan 15 2012 11:47AM=-=>

Chris, I updated the title of your request. You are not really saying PAGE compression for out of row or LOB data. What you are saying is that we need the ability to compress this data as well. Also, I added a variance of UNICODE compresion as well.

thanks
    Sunil

<=-=Dec 1 2014…
  5. The Deployment Utility (Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Deployment.exe) should return a non-zero exit code on error

It would be extremely helpful if the Deployment Utility/Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Deployment.exe http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms162758%28v=SQL.105%29.aspx would return a non-zero exit code on error.

A little bit of background on what we're trying to do:
    We've automated the generation of the Deployment Script as a part of our build processes using MSBuild:

<Exec Command='"$(AnalysisServiceDeployTool)" Some.asdatabase /s:somelogfile.log /o:SomeOutput.xmla /d'
    WorkingDirectory='$(AnalysisServicesTemp)'/>

The Exec Task relies on the Exit Code* to determine if the task failed or not, however it appears that the Deployment Utility will not give a non-zero exit code on failure, resulting in the Exec task assuming that it was successful.

*This is not a 100%…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Setup + Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 14

<=-=Sep 9 2012 9:55PM=-=>

Thank you for your feedback. We will be investigating your proposed suggestion as part of the planning efforts for the next major release. If we have more questions as the planning process progresses we will get back to you

Thanks
    The Analysis Services Team

<=-=Nov 17 2012 1:33PM=-=>

This is extremely disappointing and very important. You guys know any win32 process should NEVER return 0 on failure. Please make this a priority, it is critical to continuous delivery and automated builds with tabular and multidimensional models. We currently have no way of knowing whether this step of the build was successful or not without inspecting the build log manually on every build!!!

<=-=Sep 22 2016 10:00AM=-=>

Four years later – has anything changed? That this utility simply exits without an error indication when something goes wrong is troubling.

6. Source Control Disabled by Default in SSMS 17

Your have disabled the Source Control Provider option in SSMS 17 by default. What the hell were you thinking?

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. BULK INSERT with IDENTITY column creates query plan with SORT

The attached sample demonstrates an unnecessary SORT operator when inserting into a table with an identity column even though the ORDER hint is specified on the BULK INSERT statement.

The BULK INSERT time for table bulk101 with the IDENTITY column is 49 seconds

The BULK INSERT time for table bulk102 without the IDENTITY column is 23 seconds.

I don't see the need for the SORT operator.

Also; there is no easy way to DROP/ADD the IDENITY property which really limits any workarounds.

With a billion row table this make a big difference.

Also; if I don't set KEEPIDENTIY, meaning new…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 4

<=-=Jun 6 2008 10:29AM=-=>

Thanks for identifying this. we will consider this fix in the next release

<=-=Jun 20 2015 1:30PM=-=>

In SQL Server 2012 there is still Sort operator used when bulk loading into a table (empty) with Identity property, although data file is sorted and BULK INSERT is executed with ORDER hint.
    This issue was opened in 2008 and it’s still active, could you please fix it finally??
    It was really problematic back in the days when there was no workaround known as the one proposed in this issue, but do we really need to apply workarounds?
    This sort operator is not needed, that’s for sure.

<=-=Sep 26 2017 7:15PM=-=>

Still present in SQL Server 2017. This really should be addressed.

8. MSIT-MSO: Debugging SQL Query fails with an error The EXECUTE permission was denied on the object 'sp_enable_sql_debug'

When i connected to a server on which i have read-only access, and tried to start debugging; debugging failed with the following error. This makes user clueless what kind of access he needs as 'sp_enable_sql_debug' is not documented.

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio
    ------------------------------

Failed to start debugger

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

The EXECUTE permission was denied on the object 'sp_enable_sql_debug', database 'mssqlsystemresource', schema 'sys'. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 229)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&ProdVer=10.00.1442&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=229&LinkId=20476

BUTTONS:

OK

And subsequently it errored out with

---------------------------
    Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio
    Unable to start program 'MSSQL:://msorguat/master/sys/=0'.
    OK

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 60

<=-=Jun 18 2008 10:06AM=-=>

Srikantj,

The minimum security requirement is sysadmin. This is by design from SQL engine security.

Regards,
    Eric

<=-=Apr 23 2010 11:44AM=-=>

How is that by design? Security best practices most definitely do NOT recommend making everyone an sysadmin.

<=-=Sep 9 2010 6:58PM=-=>

I agree with the last comment. If a developer in my shop wants to debug their code in their own database, I shouldn’t be forced to give them the ability to ‘DROP DATABASE master’ in order to accomplish that goal.

Consider this a request for Microsoft to add something, a server role, a database role, or some other facility to grant a user permissions required to run the Debug facility in Management Studio.

<=-=Jan 24 2011 10:05AM=-=>

I agree with the users. sysadmin should be reserved for administration and contains to many rights for a standard developer who needs debugging capability.…

9. Introduce more regular expressions functions to T-SQL

Regular expressions need to be more fully implemented in the T-SQL engine. For instance Oracle's REGEXP_SUBSTR would be nice so I could look for a string like b%e in abcdefg, replace it to get a[new string]fg.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 12

<=-=Oct 19 2007 8:18AM=-=>

Hello,

This is indeed a good suggestion—-so good we’ve gotten it a few times. :) I’m resolving this as a duplicate of Connect item 296631.

Cheers,
    -Isaac

<=-=Mar 26 2010 10:55AM=-=>

Hi,
    I have resolved this request as duplicate of feedback item below:

https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/261342/regex-functionality-in-pattern-matching?wa=wsignin1.0

Umachandar, SQL Programmability Team

10. BCP out to include field columns names

BCP out to include field columns.
    Would be very helpful it the BCP command line tool will have the option to export the field column names

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 41

<=-=Oct 4 2007 10:13AM=-=>

Thank you for your feature suggestion. We are considering the improvement in our next release.

<=-=Jan 23 2012 11:23AM=-=>

It’s been three and a half years, and we’re headed toward our third release since this item was filed, but is this still being considered for “our next release”?

<=-=Feb 22 2012 7:56AM=-=>

One simple workaround to allow automation – (A 3 step job):
    1. Create a file _header.txt that has the column headings
    i.e. copy the first row [with header] of a select * from table, paste into excell, keep only headings and save as .txt

2. bcp out to Data.txt file
    i.e. bcp DB.dbo.table_name out c:\table_name
    Data.txt -Sserver -T -c

3. Concatenate files with the copy command
    i.e. copy /a /Y C:\tbl_header.txt + C:\tbl_Data.txt C:\tbl.txt

Also, you can bcp out of a view which offers tremendous additional functionality… :-)

<=-=May 28 2014 3:54AM=-=>

11. Schema not reported in the ERROR_PROCEDURE function

When an error is raised by the error handler, the name of the trigger/procedure is reported by the ERROR_PROCEDURE() function. However, it does not include the schema.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 35

<=-=May 1 2005 2:08PM=-=>

Good catch, Louis! I will have to admit that I have not thought ot this, but you have certainly hit the nail on the head here.

Then again, this is how the error message looks like without the catch handler:

Msg 50000, Level 16, State 1, Procedure testErrorMessage, Line 4
    blech

Note that only is schema missing – so is the database. And I am not really sure that it’s entirely good to add db.schema ahead of the name – there could be a compatibility issue.

Maybe this is something for the next release.

<=-=Nov 5 2007 9:50AM=-=>

Hello Louis

Thank you for your feedback. Please excuse the delayed response. I wanted to let you know that your feedback has been noted. As Erland pointed out, we would also need to consider whether to report the database name along with the schema. We will…

12. SQL Server doesn't have an ANSI INTERVAL data type

SQL Server does not have an ANSI INTERVAL data type. When we create effectively dated tables we have to simulate a time period by using 2 DATETIME columns (StartDate, EndDate). However, often we don't want to allow 2 rows to have overlapping date ranges and many times we don't want to allow gaps in there either. All of these validations have to be done in SQL. It is cumbersome and probably doesn't perform as well as a data type would.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 76

<=-=Apr 21 2009 9:51AM=-=>

Thank you for your feedback. This is something that we would like to add to SQL Server and we will definitively be keeping it in mind for future releases!

Again, thanks for your feedback!
    -Tobias

<=-=Nov 4 2009 1:15PM=-=>

Please implement ANSI SQL date math.
    DATEDATE —> INTERVAL (equivalent for datetime, datetime2, datetimeoffset)
    DATE + INTERVAL —> DATE (equivalent for datetime, datetime2, datetimeoffset)
    TIMETIME —> INTERVAL (range specified by application)
    TIME + INTERVAL —> TIME
    DATE + TIME —> TIMESTAMP (i.e., datetime or datetime2 in SQL Server; NOT timestamp; equivalent for datetimeoffset)

There is no way (without conversion) to add values of the new date and time types.
    DATEADD is very limiting (only one datepart at a time).
    Conversions so often necessary now to work with date/time data clutter code and impact performance.

<=-=Dec 18 2009 9:25AM=-=>

This sounds like…

13. Allow text to be justify aligned in a report

Text can only be aligned left, center or right. There is no option to justify align text.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 91

<=-=Apr 17 2009 11:15AM=-=>

I am currently slated to release a reporting system for a financial industry client that utilizes all Microsoft technology: SQL Server 2008, SQL Server Integration Services, SQL Server Reporting Services. The final proof was rejected by upper management due to the inability to fully justify text. It’s hard to explain to them that this is not available, when it’s considered a technology that Microsoft has been providing (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc…) for decades. In the financial industry, fully justified text is considered industry standard and I understand their position.

Currently the only solution I can offer them is to abandon Reporting Services and switch to Crystal Reports.

<=-=Jun 18 2009 12:08AM=-=>

I also need even justification of text on both left and right edges of paragraphs.

My client needs this for financial publishing of their mutual fund marketing documents, whch are about 50% statistics…

14. Option to defer foreign key constraint checking until transaction commit

There are various "chicken and egg" scenarios where it would be desirable to defer the checking of referential integrity constraints until commit time on a transaction.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 106

<=-=Apr 20 2006 7:33PM=-=>

As a further example, consider flushing the contents of an ADO.NET dataset to the database server. Currently, the order of the updates is critical. It would simplify code design if you could just a) start a transaction b) send all the updates c) commit them.

<=-=Oct 13 2006 1:35PM=-=>

Hello Greg,

Thanks for the feedback. We are aware of this and looking into it for a future release.

Sameer Verkhedkar
    SQL Engine
    [MSFT]

<=-=Apr 9 2008 5:07AM=-=>

This is a duplicate of feedback id 124624.

The SQL ANSI-92 standard is to defer constraint checking until the commit phase – only 16 years ago now.

It is not a question of performance or faster dev, it is a fundamental to any database to be able to change a record from one consistent state to another consistent state within a transaction,…

15. Deprecation of sysprocesses - DMV's doesn't fully replace all columns

According to BOL sysprocesses system view is on its way out of the product.

The column (there may be others) dbid in sysprocesses can not be determined through the execution DMV's.

sys.dm_exec_requests only shows currently executing sessions, so if a connection is inactive but still has context within a database there is no reliable way of determining this without the use of sysprocesses.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 122

<=-=Feb 12 2007 11:19AM=-=>

Hi,

Thanks for raising this issue. We are aware of this issue and will be fixing it in future releases of SQL Server. Unfortunately, at this point the fix cannot make it in for SP2.

Regards,
    Tomer Verona
    SQL Server Development

<=-=Feb 12 2007 9:31PM=-=>

So long as the functionality of sysprocesses can be fully reproduced using DMV’s before it is deprecated from the product then I don’t see a problem.

Thanks,
    Tony.

<=-=Nov 19 2007 1:57PM=-=>

Hi Tony,

Our goal is to ensure that the replacement covers all necessary functionality before deprecating a feature. In this particular instance, we missed it and we will add it in a future release of SQL Server.

Thanks,
    -Vineet Rao

<=-=Feb 4 2008 9:30AM=-=>

Please let us know if this is to be included in Katmai (CTP6/7) or reopen the issue until a timeline is established.

<=-=Jul…
  16. Query hints not allowed after or inside IF EXISTS()

Hugo Kornelis came up with an interesting problem when combining IF EXISTS() and certain query hints (e.g. to limit parallelism or to suppress warning messages).

Microsoft is already aware of the issue internally, but I thought it would be beneficial to post it here both for visibility of the bug itself, and to expose the workaround I came up with (and any you may come up with, also).

Basically, the problem is this. If I want to take this query, which works fine:

SELECT *
    FROM sys.objects
    WHERE [name] LIKE '%foo%'
    OPTION (FORCE ORDER);

And put it inside an IF…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Additional Query Hint: OPTION (MATERIALIZE (cte_name,...,n)

Sometimes queries would perform faster if one or more table expressions were evaluated individually & "materialized", rather than the optimizer/algebrizer transforming the query.

Providing a query hint which enumerates those CTEs we want materialized would provide a more elegant alternative to temp tables/variables and manually breaking-out the query into steps. Of course, there will be times when a temp table, and appropriate interim indexes, will still be needed. But materializing as a worktable, could improve performance, while keeping the query SQL-esqe. (as opposed to procedural)

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 17

<=-=Aug 16 2009 6:38PM=-=>

Duplicate:

https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=218968

<=-=Aug 27 2009 3:30PM=-=>

Hello Mike,

Thank you for the feedback and sorry for the delay in responding to you! I’m going to resolve this item as duplicate of the feedback item 218968 (see Adam’s comment). You can also vote on that item to increase its visibility internally.

Regards,
    Boris Baryshnikov.
    SQL Server Engine

<=-=Apr 4 2013 4:48PM=-=>

Please consider the ability to specify the materialized table’s PK with the materialization hint else I’m still out of luck for some cases. I am constantly using temp tables to work around the lack of materialization issue. Thanks!

18. Mutiple aggregates in PIVOT

Currently the PIVOT operator is:

PIVOT ( aggregate_function ( value_column )
    FOR pivot_column IN ( <column_list> )
    [ AS ] table_alias

I would like to see this enhanced to:

PIVOT ( aggregate_function ( value_column ) [ ,...n ]
    FOR pivot_column IN ( <column_list> )
    [ AS ] table_alias [ ( column_alias [ ,...n ] ) ]

The resulting columns are ordered such that all of the aggregation function applications for a single pivot column value are consecutive.

This would permit both multiple aggregation functions on a single value column (e.g. both MIN and MAX) or application of aggregation functions on…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 12

<=-=Nov 13 2006 6:46PM=-=>

Thank you for submitting this feature request. This is now under consideration for upcoming version of SQL Server.

—G2

<=-=Mar 10 2011 6:15PM=-=>

Hello Mark,

I have resolved your request as duplicate of one below:

http://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/127071

We will track your feature request as part of that one.

Umachandar, SQL Programmability Team

<=-=Mar 10 2011 11:49PM=-=>

I do not agree that this request is a duplicate of feedback 127071. That feedback is for a dynamic column list (dynamic IN) , where the internal query determines the shape of the output result set. This query is to support multiple aggregates; the shape of the output result set remains static. Specifically I am not suggesting any change in the IN () clause, which is the target of 127071.

A concrete examples that we have face is when dealing with currencies – we need to simultanously aggregate…

19. Dark theme leaves blank spots in query editor on resize

I have the dark theme enabled in SSMS 18, and when I resize the application window, or resize the results panel, huge chunks of my query editor get blacked-out. The text is still there, and the glitch goes away when I scroll around, but it's a pain, and it looks bad when I'm presenting my work.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Dark Theme in DevOps ignores color in textboxes

The Dark Theme for DevOps works nicely in general, but text in textboxes does not show font color/background color.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base