SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server 2017 powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server 2017 brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

Do you have a comment or suggestion to improve SQL Server? We’d love to hear it!

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Fully support position() in xquery

Right now position() can only be used in predict in xquery. However, in lots of scenarios, the position of the xml data is significant.

DECLARE @x xml;
    SET @x = N'<SelectAnswers xmlns="http://MyNamespace">
    <AnswerType Type="selectOne" IsRequired="true">
    <SelectAnswer>Once a month</SelectAnswer>
    <SelectAnswer>Two or three times a month</SelectAnswer>
    <SelectAnswer>Usually every week</SelectAnswer>
    <SelectAnswer>More than once a week</SelectAnswer>
    </AnswerType>
    <AnswerType Type="MultipleChoice" IsRequired="true">
    <SelectAnswer>This is my first time</SelectAnswer>
    <SelectAnswer>Hardly ever/special occasions only</SelectAnswer>
    <SelectAnswer>Less than once a month</SelectAnswer>
    </AnswerType>
    </SelectAnswers>'

-- Suppose you need to get the postion of AnswerType in the xml as AnswerTypeID and the position of SelectAnswer in each AnswerType as AnswerID, you…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 39

<=-=Dec 3 2008 4:28PM=-=>

Thanks for the feedback. The following shows how we would have to approach this.

The nodes() method returns N rows one for each node selected by the expression inside the nodes() method. Each of that node is being set as the context item for the expressions inside the value/query/exist/nodes methods. The definition of the position() function is

http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/REC-xpath-functions-20070123/#func-position

16.1 fn:position
    fn:position() as xs:integer
    Summary: Returns the context position from the dynamic context.

where context position is defined as:

[Definition: The context position is the position of the context item within the sequence of items currently being processed.] It changes whenever the context item changes. When the focus is defined, the value of the context position is an integer greater than zero. The context position is returned by the expression fn:position(). When an expression E1/E2 or E1[E2] is evaluated, the context position in the inner…

2. Introduce more regular expressions functions to T-SQL

Regular expressions need to be more fully implemented in the T-SQL engine. For instance Oracle's REGEXP_SUBSTR would be nice so I could look for a string like b%e in abcdefg, replace it to get a[new string]fg.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 12

<=-=Oct 19 2007 8:18AM=-=>

Hello,

This is indeed a good suggestion—-so good we’ve gotten it a few times. :) I’m resolving this as a duplicate of Connect item 296631.

Cheers,
    -Isaac

<=-=Mar 26 2010 10:55AM=-=>

Hi,
    I have resolved this request as duplicate of feedback item below:

https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/261342/regex-functionality-in-pattern-matching?wa=wsignin1.0

Umachandar, SQL Programmability Team

3. BCP out to include field columns names

BCP out to include field columns.
    Would be very helpful it the BCP command line tool will have the option to export the field column names

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 41

<=-=Oct 4 2007 10:13AM=-=>

Thank you for your feature suggestion. We are considering the improvement in our next release.

<=-=Jan 23 2012 11:23AM=-=>

It’s been three and a half years, and we’re headed toward our third release since this item was filed, but is this still being considered for “our next release”?

<=-=Feb 22 2012 7:56AM=-=>

One simple workaround to allow automation – (A 3 step job):
    1. Create a file _header.txt that has the column headings
    i.e. copy the first row [with header] of a select * from table, paste into excell, keep only headings and save as .txt

2. bcp out to Data.txt file
    i.e. bcp DB.dbo.table_name out c:\table_name
    Data.txt -Sserver -T -c

3. Concatenate files with the copy command
    i.e. copy /a /Y C:\tbl_header.txt + C:\tbl_Data.txt C:\tbl.txt

Also, you can bcp out of a view which offers tremendous additional functionality… :-)

<=-=May 28 2014 3:54AM=-=>

4. Schema not reported in the ERROR_PROCEDURE function

When an error is raised by the error handler, the name of the trigger/procedure is reported by the ERROR_PROCEDURE() function. However, it does not include the schema.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 35

<=-=May 1 2005 2:08PM=-=>

Good catch, Louis! I will have to admit that I have not thought ot this, but you have certainly hit the nail on the head here.

Then again, this is how the error message looks like without the catch handler:

Msg 50000, Level 16, State 1, Procedure testErrorMessage, Line 4
    blech

Note that only is schema missing – so is the database. And I am not really sure that it’s entirely good to add db.schema ahead of the name – there could be a compatibility issue.

Maybe this is something for the next release.

<=-=Nov 5 2007 9:50AM=-=>

Hello Louis

Thank you for your feedback. Please excuse the delayed response. I wanted to let you know that your feedback has been noted. As Erland pointed out, we would also need to consider whether to report the database name along with the schema. We will…

5. SQL Server doesn't have an ANSI INTERVAL data type

SQL Server does not have an ANSI INTERVAL data type. When we create effectively dated tables we have to simulate a time period by using 2 DATETIME columns (StartDate, EndDate). However, often we don't want to allow 2 rows to have overlapping date ranges and many times we don't want to allow gaps in there either. All of these validations have to be done in SQL. It is cumbersome and probably doesn't perform as well as a data type would.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 76

<=-=Apr 21 2009 9:51AM=-=>

Thank you for your feedback. This is something that we would like to add to SQL Server and we will definitively be keeping it in mind for future releases!

Again, thanks for your feedback!
    -Tobias

<=-=Nov 4 2009 1:15PM=-=>

Please implement ANSI SQL date math.
    DATEDATE —> INTERVAL (equivalent for datetime, datetime2, datetimeoffset)
    DATE + INTERVAL —> DATE (equivalent for datetime, datetime2, datetimeoffset)
    TIMETIME —> INTERVAL (range specified by application)
    TIME + INTERVAL —> TIME
    DATE + TIME —> TIMESTAMP (i.e., datetime or datetime2 in SQL Server; NOT timestamp; equivalent for datetimeoffset)

There is no way (without conversion) to add values of the new date and time types.
    DATEADD is very limiting (only one datepart at a time).
    Conversions so often necessary now to work with date/time data clutter code and impact performance.

<=-=Dec 18 2009 9:25AM=-=>

This sounds like…

6. Need a way to set the default encoding for query files in SMSS.

A script saved from SMSS into a .sql file is saved as UTF-16 (unicode) encoding by default. This is a similar issue to the one raised in another feedback entry where the output to CSV is saved as UTF-16. This behavior of SMSS is a departure from the way Query Analyzer (which I used for the last four years) handled these files and it has taken me quite some time to track down the reason things suddenly stopped working correctly.

Many version control systems (specifically CVS, SubVersion, SVN, and Perforce, which I have used) do not properly handle this encoding.…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 168

<=-=Apr 8 2008 10:17AM=-=>

Chris – great feedback. I’m going to keep this suggestion on file (we can’t do this for SQL Server 2008, unfortunately) because I want to evaluate two of the areas you’ve mentioned, Source Control and Project Creation. We have quite a few things I want to do there to make the development experience better.

Thanks again for submitting.

Buck Woody, SQL Server Program Manager

<=-=Jun 13 2008 9:00AM=-=>

We have encountered this same issue today. In our case, Visual Studio 2005 database project will create a new script file as ANSI.

Visual Studio 2008 creates new script files as UTF-8.
    And SSMS creates them as Unicode 1200 (UCS-2 little endian) when doing Script CREATE to file (unless you do New Query, then File → Save, which saves as ANSI!)

So it’s a mess in the project and/or source control…

7. Execute Current Statement

Currently required to highlight query text to run one statement in one instance of a query window. This is a bit of a nuisance. I have used TOAD for SQL Server in the past and I could just position my cursor within a single sql statement and execute the current statement only and not all sql statements within the current query window instance. The latter method seems to be much more efficient for those of us administrators with a bunch of sql statements in one query window and just wishing to run select statements.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 7

<=-=Jun 6 2005 8:24AM=-=>

Thank you for your suggestion regarding executing a statement without having to select it. We will consider this for future releases.
    Bill Ramos

<=-=Oct 11 2006 5:59PM=-=>

This hasn’t made it into a service pack, but we’re still considering this item for a future release of SQL Server.

Paul A. Mestemaker II
    Program Manager
    Microsoft SQL Server Manageability
    http://blogs.msdn.com/sqlrem/

<=-=Dec 3 2007 8:32AM=-=>

Although we won’t be able to provide this functionality for SQL Server 2008, we can consider it for a future release based on overall customer demand.

Thanks,
    Ken Van Hyning

<=-=Aug 5 2009 4:28AM=-=>

Hello,
    Like the OP I’ve used TOAD and been really impressed with this feature. Would really like to have this in SSMS.

I raised a forum thread on it prior to coming here: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqltools/thread/4fcd052d-a2db-4431-b80f-9a2ca278ff8a/

This submisison is now 4 years old – is it worth my…

8. Deprecation of sysprocesses - DMV's doesn't fully replace all columns

According to BOL sysprocesses system view is on its way out of the product.

The column (there may be others) dbid in sysprocesses can not be determined through the execution DMV's.

sys.dm_exec_requests only shows currently executing sessions, so if a connection is inactive but still has context within a database there is no reliable way of determining this without the use of sysprocesses.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 122

<=-=Feb 12 2007 11:19AM=-=>

Hi,

Thanks for raising this issue. We are aware of this issue and will be fixing it in future releases of SQL Server. Unfortunately, at this point the fix cannot make it in for SP2.

Regards,
    Tomer Verona
    SQL Server Development

<=-=Feb 12 2007 9:31PM=-=>

So long as the functionality of sysprocesses can be fully reproduced using DMV’s before it is deprecated from the product then I don’t see a problem.

Thanks,
    Tony.

<=-=Nov 19 2007 1:57PM=-=>

Hi Tony,

Our goal is to ensure that the replacement covers all necessary functionality before deprecating a feature. In this particular instance, we missed it and we will add it in a future release of SQL Server.

Thanks,
    -Vineet Rao

<=-=Feb 4 2008 9:30AM=-=>

Please let us know if this is to be included in Katmai (CTP6/7) or reopen the issue until a timeline is established.

<=-=Jul…
  9. Query hints not allowed after or inside IF EXISTS()

Hugo Kornelis came up with an interesting problem when combining IF EXISTS() and certain query hints (e.g. to limit parallelism or to suppress warning messages).

Microsoft is already aware of the issue internally, but I thought it would be beneficial to post it here both for visibility of the bug itself, and to expose the workaround I came up with (and any you may come up with, also).

Basically, the problem is this. If I want to take this query, which works fine:

SELECT *
    FROM sys.objects
    WHERE [name] LIKE '%foo%'
    OPTION (FORCE ORDER);

And put it inside an IF…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. suppress namespace attributes in nested SELECT FOR XML statements

When using the 'WITH XMLNAMESPACES' Construct, the namespace declarations show up in each nested query of a 'SELECT FOR XML' statement.
    While it does produce a valid XML document, the results are not exactly pretty.

Example query with a subselect:
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    WITH XMLNAMESPACES('http://test.com/customer'; AS rt, 'http://test.com/customer/'; AS rtc)
    SELECT Customer_id AS "@Customer_id"
    , (SELECT sub.Name AS "rt:Name"
    FROM Customer AS sub
    WHERE sub.Customer_id = Customer.Customer_id
    FOR XML PATH(''), type)
    FROM Customer
    FOR XML PATH('rt:Customer')
    (the sub-query is meant as an illustration)
    This query produces:
    <rt:Customer xmlns:rtc="http://test.com/customer/types&quot; xmlns:rt="http://test.com/customer&quot; Customer_id="1">
    <rt:Name xmlns:rtc=xmlns:rtc="…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 178

<=-=Apr 13 2007 1:31PM=-=>

Dear Michael

Thanks for the feedback. We will be looking into your suggestion for a future release of SQL Server.

Best regards
    Michael

<=-=Jun 4 2007 1:43PM=-=>

This would be very useful for our products as well.

<=-=Aug 26 2008 8:55AM=-=>

I just encountered this weird behavior. Although it is valid XML, it makes the resulting document extremely large as well as inconsistent. E.g., the intermediate elements created by the “AS” clause of the subquery don’t have the namespace declaration. I vote for a fix.

<=-=Sep 17 2008 8:20AM=-=>

I also think this should be changed. It makes the XML very difficult to read!

<=-=Jan 29 2009 12:09AM=-=>

The current function realy bloats the returned XML, we’ve used the “old-school” for xml expicit but the sql to construct that is realy messy.
    We’ve used the xml functionality in SQL server for a…

11. "Add Azure Replica" button missing in SSMS 17.9. Present in SSMS 2016

In the New Availability Group Wizard, the "Add Azure Replica" button is missing in SSMS 17.9 but is present in SSMS 2016 (130.0.16106.4). Is this a bug?

I saw this related item: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/7512f490-5b30-49f0-b617-3eabce321015/add-azure-replica-button-missingnot-present?forum=sqldisasterrecovery

Thank you!
    Mike Petrak

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Mike,
    This is not really a bug.

The button was removed from SSMS intentionally because SSMS only supported the “classic” resource provider, which was deprecated. As such, the functionality was not there anymore and there was no point in confusing the users by exposing something that was indeed broken.

We encourage people to upvote this feedback item: this way we’ll be able to prioritize the request accordingly.

12. Assign default measure in an SSAS tabular model solution

It would be great to have an option to assign a calculated measure as a default measure. This feature is not available while creating a tabular model solution. Though there is an option while creating a multidimensional cube using SSAS.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. new virtual table: errors. It would analogous to the deleted and inserted tables

If a constraint violation happens in a DML statement and the input was a dataset, the offending data in the source is difficult to find. The statement fails and the datasource has to be searched (and possibly recreated) and checked for the violation.

Thread from the forum.
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/transactsql/thread/3e17f8dc-9685-412b-8e76-94ad41536d5d

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 650

<=-=Dec 20 2012 1:14PM=-=>

Oh god yes. If you do this please be sure to include rows not inserted due to IGNORE_DUP_KEY settings on indexes and constraints.

<=-=Dec 20 2012 1:17PM=-=>

@Rob: No, please do not include those rows! If I’ve added IGNORE_DUP_KEY it’s because I want to ignore them. They’re NOT errors. (Okay, now we can see how difficult this feature would be to implement…)

<=-=Dec 20 2012 1:22PM=-=>

“It could also include a column for the constraint name that was violated.”

An error may be caused by something other than a constraint violation, e.g. a data type violation:

DECLARE @t TABLE (i INT)
    INSERT @t SELECT ‘abc’

… so I’d rather the virtual table have a column with the actual error message. (Which would include the constraint name anyway.) And maybe a column for the error number.

<=-=Dec 20 2012 1:24PM=-=>

Of course the last…

14. DCR - Attach database with NORECOVERY

might be a small one, but a very important one at least for me... Consider you want to move a database that is on a SAN to a different machine, or even move a file to a different disk. The way to do it (or at least one way...) would be to detach and attach. Easy... Unless... you want to do this on a mirror or a Logship Destination...
    Why? Because sp_attach_db always recovers the DB, and for a mirror or logship destination you would need the DB back in NORECOVERY mode.
    So I really need to see a way…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 20

<=-=Sep 27 2010 9:57AM=-=>

Greetings.
    Thanks for your suggestion. This is on my list of enhancements which I’d like to get into the product.
    We will continue tracking this request and hope to get it in as time and resources permit.

Kevin Farlee
    SQL Server Storage Engine PM

15. QUALIFY - Request for a New Filtering Clause

This entry describes a request for a new query filtering clause called QUALIFY in SQL Server.

As of SQL Server 2008 (including R2) T-SQL supports three standard filtering clauses based on predicates (ON, WHERE, HAVING), and one nonstandard filtering option based on a number/percent of rows and ordering (TOP). Window calculations (e.g., ranking and aggregate calculations that use the OVER clause, and hopefully others in the future) are only allowed in the SELECT and ORDER BY clauses of a query, and therefore you cannot refer to those directly in the filtering clauses that are based on predicates. For example, the…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 371

<=-=Feb 10 2010 1:31PM=-=>

What a great suggestion – this would make writing clearer and more self-documenting code so much easier.

<=-=Feb 15 2010 7:53AM=-=>

I do these kinds of ROW_NUMBER() queries ALL the time. This would be a wonderful option. Please give this serious consideration. It would make my code much cleaner.

<=-=Feb 16 2010 7:12AM=-=>

This would be extremely useful. The OVER clause was really handy, but the CTE is a necessary evil if you want to get the most use out of row_number(). You have my vote.

Thanks,
    Eric

<=-=Feb 17 2010 4:09PM=-=>

Hi Itzik,

Thank you for your suggestion! This does sound like a very useful addition to T-SQL. We will be triaging the request and see if it can make it into a future release of SQL Server.

Again, thanks for your feedback!
    - Tobias, SQL Server Engine

<=-=Mar 2 2010…
  16. Don't list databases unless current user has permission to access them

Currently, when accessing SQL server 2008 using the Management Studio and expanding the dabase list, all databases are listed, even though the current user does not have permission to see most of them.

This also has the effect of not listing anything if one does not remove the additional columns from the "explorer details" window, if the user does not have permission to a database.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. BULK INSERT with IDENTITY column creates query plan with SORT

The attached sample demonstrates an unnecessary SORT operator when inserting into a table with an identity column even though the ORDER hint is specified on the BULK INSERT statement.

The BULK INSERT time for table bulk101 with the IDENTITY column is 49 seconds

The BULK INSERT time for table bulk102 without the IDENTITY column is 23 seconds.

I don't see the need for the SORT operator.

Also; there is no easy way to DROP/ADD the IDENITY property which really limits any workarounds.

With a billion row table this make a big difference.

Also; if I don't set KEEPIDENTIY, meaning new…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 4

<=-=Jun 6 2008 10:29AM=-=>

Thanks for identifying this. we will consider this fix in the next release

<=-=Jun 20 2015 1:30PM=-=>

In SQL Server 2012 there is still Sort operator used when bulk loading into a table (empty) with Identity property, although data file is sorted and BULK INSERT is executed with ORDER hint.
    This issue was opened in 2008 and it’s still active, could you please fix it finally??
    It was really problematic back in the days when there was no workaround known as the one proposed in this issue, but do we really need to apply workarounds?
    This sort operator is not needed, that’s for sure.

<=-=Sep 26 2017 7:15PM=-=>

Still present in SQL Server 2017. This really should be addressed.

18. No error raised when a remote procedure times out

If you call a stored procedure in a linked server, and the provider times out, for
    instance there is a blocking situation on the remote server, SQL Server only prints
    a message, but error is raised, so the condition cannot be caught in BEGIN TRY.

The problem appears both in SQL 2005 and SQL 2008.

As indicated in the repro, there is a workaround by looking at the return code
    from the procedure.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 19

<=-=Apr 8 2008 1:06PM=-=>

You have closed the bug gy design without a comment. Please understand that this about the most efficient way to insult a customer. May the customer has got it all wrong, but at least he deserves an explanation.

So could you please care to explain the “design” for this behaviour? What I failed to mention in my bug report, is that if I run the SELECT statement directly against
    the linked server:

SELECT * FROM REMOTESVR.Northwind.dbo.Orders WHERE OrderID = 11000

you do get an error raised. So why is no error raised when a remote procedure call times out? It is not considered an error?

<=-=Apr 9 2008 11:38AM=-=>

Erland,

Sorry for not responding sooner. This just was bad timing on our part. Dev and test closed the report before I had a chance to communicate with you.

The fact that you can�t…

19. SMSS missing format document

In the development team I am working to, we are using a formatting code convention different from that used in the book onlines, so when we use the Query Designer, we have to manually format the code. Apart from that, there is not an easy way to format the T-SQL code in any kind of code convention, I mean, differently that in VS for c#, I can't find any "Format Document" or "Format Selection" command (even in VS 2005 itself, there is no way to format T-SQL code)

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 5

<=-=Mar 28 2006 4:52PM=-=>

Thank you for your suggestion for formatting t-sql statements. We will consider this for a future release of SQL Server

<=-=May 12 2011 1:27AM=-=>

Hi,

We took a look at this bug along with several others recently. Unfortunately, triaging it against other critical bugs, I do not think we would get to investigating this in the near future. However, we have taken note of this internally, and when we revisit this functionality in the future, we will try and get this resolved.

Thanks for writing to Microsoft.

Thanks,
    Chandraveer

20. Option to defer foreign key constraint checking until transaction commit

There are various "chicken and egg" scenarios where it would be desirable to defer the checking of referential integrity constraints until commit time on a transaction.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 106

<=-=Apr 20 2006 7:33PM=-=>

As a further example, consider flushing the contents of an ADO.NET dataset to the database server. Currently, the order of the updates is critical. It would simplify code design if you could just a) start a transaction b) send all the updates c) commit them.

<=-=Oct 13 2006 1:35PM=-=>

Hello Greg,

Thanks for the feedback. We are aware of this and looking into it for a future release.

Sameer Verkhedkar
    SQL Engine
    [MSFT]

<=-=Apr 9 2008 5:07AM=-=>

This is a duplicate of feedback id 124624.

The SQL ANSI-92 standard is to defer constraint checking until the commit phase – only 16 years ago now.

It is not a question of performance or faster dev, it is a fundamental to any database to be able to change a record from one consistent state to another consistent state within a transaction,…

• Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Feedback and Knowledge Base