Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more here.

SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Microsoft Q&A or Stack Overflow

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Support .NET Standard with DacFx

The preview for the new consolidated Microsoft.SqlServer.DacFx library targets .NET Core 2.2 and .NET Framework 4.6.

We use DacFx within a class library project in a solution that contains both .NET Framework and .NET Core applications.

Instead of targeting .NET Core and .NET Framework independently, please consider having DacFx target .NET Standard 2.0. This would make it significantly easier to leverage it from both .NET Framework and .NET Core in the same solution.

Thanks!

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Cannot open Maintenance Plan steps in SSMS 18 Preview 4

Maintenance plans were created with earlier versions of SSMS (17.x and lower) and trying to open any step of the maintenance plan results in the follow error message,

"The task with the name "AG Replica DB Differential Backups T-SQL Statement Task" and the creation name "Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.DatabaseMaintenance.DbMaintenanceTSQLExecuteTask, Microsoft.SqlServer.MaintenancePlanTasks, Version=15.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91" is not registered for use on this computer.
    "

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Batch mode window aggregate arithmetic overflow bug

The following query performs a windowed SUM over a columnstore table with 1500 total rows, each of which has the value 0 or 1, and it overflows the INT data type. This appears to be a bug in the batch mode window aggregate operator.

SELECT a, p, s, v, m, n,
    SUM(CASE WHEN n IS NULL THEN 0 ELSE 1 END)
    OVER (PARTITION BY s, v, a ORDER BY p) AS lastNonNullPartition
    FROM (
    SELECT a, p, s, v, m, n,
    RANK() OVER (PARTITION BY v, s, a, p ORDER BY m) AS rank
    FROM #t /* A columnstore table…

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. SSMS 17.3 Font and Color setting limit changes to 4 areas

After upgrading to ver. 17.3 of SSMS 2017, I am unable to enlarge the default font size used for grids or the object explorer (Environment Font). After running a search I several posts in the SQL Server Forum, but after trying the fix mosts sided, which was uninstalling 17.3, then install 17.2 and do the upgrade to 17.3. This was ineffective for me and others.

Under "Show settings for:" instead of listing all the options that should be listed, I see only the following. This is obviously a bug. Has anyone found a solution that fixes this problem?

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. SSMS 18.9 intellisense is not working

SSMS 18.9 intellisense is not working. It does not find any column in any table. Both on a new install and a upgrade from 18.8 .

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. when i switched between tabs, new tab still show previous tab text. Please fix asap

when i switched between tabs in SSMS 18.4, new tab still show previous tab text. Please fix asap

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. SSMS 18.x freezes when view job properties

We use multiserver administration forour SQL Agent jobs and when attempting to view any jobstep properties of managed jobs while connected to a target server using SSMS 18.x, the program freezes for up to two minutes.

SQL Server Management Studio 15.0.18142.0
    Microsoft Analysis Services Client Tools 15.0.1389.0
    Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) 10.0.14393.0
    Microsoft MSXML 3.0 6.0
    Microsoft Internet Explorer 9.11.14393.0
    Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0.30319.42000
    Operating System 10.0.14393

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. SQL server Import and Export Wizard missing/disabled SSMS 18.0

SQL Server import and export is disabled in SSMS 18.0, is this temporary and available in later versions of 18 or we wouldn't have import export going forward?

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. new TRANSLATE function syntax not recognized by SSMS 17.3

The new TRANSLATE function is not recognized as valid syntax by SSMS 17.3 intellisense, though it executes just fine against SQL Server 17 instances. The TRANSLATE syntax is underlined in red with the warning "'TRANSLATE' is not a recognized built-in function name"

Tested against SQL Server 17 RTM.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  6 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. SSMS v17 - Object must implement IConvertible. (mscorlib)

When a query is selected with the mouse/keyboard, and then "Analyze Query in Database Engine Tuning Advisor" option in the context menu is selected the following error appears.

"The argument type 'server type = Sql, server name = KSHQ-DB, timeout = 30, database = KSH_Cloudcare, protocol = NotSpecified, workstation = , integrated security = True' cannot be converted into parameter type 'Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Common.SqlConnectionInfo'. (mscorlib)
    Object must implement IConvertible. (mscorlib)"

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. SSMS Install with SQL Server 2016 causes Device Manager conflict on VS location sensor driver

If you take (as an example) a clean machine, with no VS or SQL Server yet, install SQL Server 2016 (say community but doesn't matter), Device Manager is fine, no conflicts (no VS location sensor driver yet)...Then you install SSMS (production/GA version 16.5.3), you get a Device Manager conflict (yellow exclamation mark/can't load driver error) on a new sensor entry called "Microsoft Visual Studio Location Simulator Sensor".

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. 18.2 Tabbing Bug Not Updating Query Window Text

If I have multiple query tabs open at a time, switching between tabs causes a lag in actual displaying the content of the new tab.

For example, if I have two tabs open with different queries on each tab. If I switch from one tab to another, the content doesn't appear to change in the query window, but if I highlight the text, then it'll change. This has been happening since the 18.0 GA release and I was hoping subsequent updates would fix it, but they have not. I have attached three files.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. SSMS Data Model Designer (17.9, 18.1, 18.2) crashes SSMS

Hi there,

I am designing a data model using SSMS. I've used all 3 versions mentioned above, and for reasons unknown to me, they all crash upon opening an existing model. I corrected the issue once by starting a new data model and deleting the old model, but that's very inconvenient, and loses any notations I made on the original diagram.

The data model designer was also crashing in 17.9 and 18.1 after removing an existing table and trying to add an existing table.

I've also noticed that I cannot re-add a renamed table without exiting SSMS and re-opening it.…

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  6 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Incorrect GrantedQueryMemory(KB) Value on SQL Performance Dashboard or SSMS17.9

The inbuilt SQL Dashboard within newer versions of SSMS displays report for GrantedQueryMemory(KB) column for current request sub report. The value displays the wrong number as output displayed is in bytes while column says KB.

I have verified using the dmv "sys.dmexecquery_stats" which lists this number in no.of pages which later is converted to KB

When checking within rdl file we can see that conversion is made with expression as =8192 * Fields!grantedquerymemory.value which gets this value in bytes.

Therefore we might need to change that expression to = 8 * Fields!grantedquerymemory.value

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. SSMS pop-up windows/forms on same screen where SSMS window is active.

When right clicking in the object explorer on an element, i.e., "Tables" and wanting to perform an action such as filtering tables by going to Filter > Filter Settings, the filter settings form can appear on the other screen than where SSMS is currently active -- which is quite distracting.

I believe this is due to the initial position of SSMS on startup. If you move the SSMS window to another screen, the opening of forms/windows etc. will remain on the original screen and not follow the main SSMS window.

Watch this clip: https://d.pr/v/v7dq8v
    Notice that you can only see…

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Please get SSDT versioning under control

The versioning for SSDT is currently insane. The version that ships with VS 2017 is labeled 15.1.6180.210, however the latest from the download page is labeled Release number: 15.6.0 and Build number: 14.0.16162.0?

The version for 2015 is labeled release number: 17.4 and build number: 14.0.61712.050

How is anyone supposed to know which version is which? 2015 is labeled version 17 and 2017 is labeled version 15? The build number for 2017 is 15.x but the newest version is 14.x?

Are you purposefully trying to make our heads explode?

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. SQL needs Group_Concat function

The pivot, ranking and numbering T-SQL enhancements are excellent. However, mySQL has one useful command that MS SQL does not -- GROUP CONCATENATE. During a GROUP BY, GROUP_CONCAT is similar to SUM except it concatenates all the combinations of the particular field for a particular aggregation. The coding workaround is a pain.

The original suggestion was from 2006 and was closed by Microsoft in 2007. It'S time to revise this decision.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Locate backups in azure container fails when Shared Access Signature contains sip parameter

1. I have a SAS created as here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/relational-databases/lesson-1-create-stored-access-policy-and-shared-access-signature, but i added ip restrictions (IpRange argument in GetSharedAccessSignature ), so that sas contains paramter sip=x.x.x.x-y.y.y.y
    2. When I use this SAS in SSMS 17.4 to restore the backup, then in the "Locate Backup File In Microsoft Auzre" popup i cannot see any files. The reason is that SSMS issues invalid rest call, as it does not include the sip parameter, and that is the reason why the call is not authorized.
    7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. SSMS 18.7 broke Query Store Tracked Queries

SSMS 18.7 - Navigate to Query Store - Tracked queries. Double clicking on Tracked Queries causes SSMS to crash. Right clicking on Tracked Queries gives the following error: (Verified on two different computers)

Object reference not set to an instance of an object. (SqlWorkbench.Interfaces)

Program Location:

at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.ObjectExplorer.ToolsMenuItemBase.UpdateMenuCommandStatus(MenuCommand menuCommand)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.ObjectExplorer.DefaultMenuHandler.UpdateMenuCommandsStatus(MenuCommand menuCommand)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.ObjectExplorer.DefaultMenuHandler.GetMenuItems(ArrayList items)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.ObjectExplorer.DefaultMenuHandler.GetMenuItems()
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.ObjectExplorer.ExplorerHierarchyNode.ShowContextMenu(Point windowPos)

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Incorrect Expensive Queries link on Performance Dashboard in 18.6 [Korean]

The links except for [By CPU] in the expensive queries on Performance Dashboard don’t work correctly in 18.6 [Korean].

The cause of this problem looks that the @OrderByCriteria value is NULL in the parameter below. When I click the [By Logical Reads] link, @OrderByCriteria should be N'Logical Reads', not NULL. Please review the links.

,@params=N'@OrderByCriteria NVarChar(max)',@OrderByCriteria=NULL

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base