SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server 2017 powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server 2017 brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. ADD SENSITIVITY CLASSIFICATION statement support for SSDT

Azure SQL Vulnerability Assessment will identify columns in the database that should be classified as sensitive. One can do this in SSMS with a simple ADD SENSITIVITY CLASSIFICATION statement.
    BUT, one CANNOT make such a statement in SSDT database project, even if the target version is Azure SQL V12.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Serious Issue: After Closing, SQL Will Not Open Without Reinstalling Entire Program

I have already tried working with Microsoft Support four separate times on this but nothing thus far has provided anything beyond a temporary fix. I can open SQL once I install the program, but once I close it I need to reinstall the program to open it again. I have been having issues with another unrelated program since April but have been using SQL since late May, so I have no idea if the two problems are related (I suspect they are).

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. SSMS 18.1 SQL Agent Job Step lost focus

SSMS 18.1 SQL Agent Job Steps

When deleting a job step, in previous versions of SSMS, the focus would remain at the place of deletion. eg. delete step 18, the step would be removed, then all steps move up and the new step 18 would be in focus. In SSMS 18 & 18.1 the focus returns to step 1 after deletion is time consuming when modifying jobs with large number of steps.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. There is no Database Diagram in SSMS 15.0.18075.0. Does anyone know what happened? Thanks.

There is no Database Diagram in SSMS 15.0.18075.0. Does anyone know what happened? Thanks.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Migrating data from say 2017 SQL Web edition to SQL Standard. Any limitations?

For one of our projects we were hoping to use the 2017 MS SQL web edition for pre-production(DEV, UAT, QA etc) and post-QA testing migrate the data, stored procedures/scripts to STD edition in production. Involves one big push initially and then with every release smaller data being pushed. Are there any limitations or compatibility issues we can run into?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Setup + Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. ssms 18.x not getting launched

HI Team, I have installed SSMS 18.x when installed and launched it worked fine. After closing the app few time, when I am trying to launch it again its getting started and the window disappears even before launching the app. I could not find the app in the hidden tabs(Alt+Tab) even. I have tried to reinstall the app, even then this is the case. So raising this.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Deployment.exe not in ssms 2018

It appears that the deployment utility for SSAS is not included in the latest release of SSMS 18. Are there plans to include it or is this being ported over to ssdt?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Good afternoon, please add the database diagrams, there are databases in which one works and they have diagrams, help to solve that, thank y

Good afternoon, please add the database diagrams, there are databases in which one works and they have diagrams, help to solve that, thank you

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. cannot start 18 manager

MS SQL Server Management Studio Release 18.0 can only start once after installation. The next time you start, you only see the logo for a very short time and nothing happens anymore.
    The program must first be uninstalled. After a new installation, it starts again only once.
    I'll test the SSMS version 17.9 next week
    It's a new Windows Server 2019 with SQL Server 2017.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. SSMS 18.1

SSMS 18.1 has a bug in restoring databases from UNC folders

Repro:
    - Object Exploere right click restore database
    - Source: Chose Device and Press ...
    - Press Add
    - Enter a UNC path into the field Backup File Location and press Enter

In the older versions (17.x and older) the dialog showed the content of the UNC folder. Now nothing happen.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Cannot disable intellisense

Even with Intellisense disabled, intellisense is enabled when opening a new query window.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. SSMS 18.0 doesn't script CREATE EXTERNAL LIBRARY properly

I've tried to script all objects in a database using Tasks -> Generate scripts. The result was missing content and of course error 39044 during execution of the script on another instance:
    ```
    CREATE EXTERNAL LIBRARY [ml]
    FROM (content = '')
    WITH (LANGUAGE = 'R')
    GO
    ```

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Don't deprecate database diagrams.

I design large scale databases visually with the diagram feature of SQL server. I cannot comprehend how a db designer would tackle a large scale ER model. What is the reason for the deprecation and what is the planned alternative?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. SSMS 508 compliance

Trying to determine 508 compliance for SSMS; any guidance available?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Our 508 Conformance documentation can be found the the following link
    https://celaaatprod.blob.core.windows.net/public/1e153b8b-985d-4b0e-9ef9-5fd4170e0c84/52e451a1-b639-4fbe-94ae-55de5d66e06c/SQL%20Server%20Management%20Studio%2018.Windows.RevisedSection508.docx

This document along with those for other accessibility standards can also be reached by https://cloudblogs.microsoft.com/industry-blog/government/2018/09/11/accessibility-conformance-reports/ and searching for “SQL Server Management Studio”

Thank you for reaching out,
    Erica

15. SSMS - Delete the saved user when logging in

I wish to be able to delete only some saved users from the login screen.
    I know there is a file that I can delete and clear this record, except I did not want to delete all and only those that I no longer use.
    If possible the connections of the instances too.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

If you are referring to the “Connect to Server” dialog, then one thing you can do is something like this:

- Click on the “Server name” combobox (the down-arrow icon)
    - Select the server you want to remove
    - Hit the “DEL” key

You should be able to do the same thing when you select “SQL Server Authentication” and you work in the “Login” combobox.

You need SSMS 18.x for that to work on Logins.

16. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. ssms - index was out of range error on Execute Stored Procedure + Enter

In SSMS 17.9.1, there is an irritating bug. Right-clicking a stored procedure (one which has no parameters) in Object Explorer and selecting "Execute Stored Procedure..." and then hitting the "Enter" key on your keyboard generates an error message: "Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
    Parameter name: index (mscorlib)". If you mouse-click the "OK" button instead of hitting the "Enter" key, it works fine, as it always has.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. SSMS 18 RC1 - Double Click On Job Step Parameter Is Not Valid

In the job properties window if I click on the step of a job to view the contents I get this error:

```
    ===================================

Parameter is not valid. (System.Drawing)

------------------------------
    Program Location:

at System.Drawing.Graphics.GetHdc()
    at System.Windows.Forms.Internal.WindowsGraphics.FromGraphics(Graphics g, ApplyGraphicsProperties properties)
    at System.Windows.Forms.WindowsGraphicsWrapper..ctor(IDeviceContext idc, TextFormatFlags flags)
    at System.Windows.Forms.VisualStyles.VisualStyleRenderer.DrawBackground(IDeviceContext dc, Rectangle bounds, IntPtr hWnd)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.Grid.GridConstants.GetStdBitmap(Bitmap bmp, ButtonState state)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.Grid.GridConstants.get_DisabledCheckBoxBitmap()
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.Grid.GridCheckBoxColumn..ctor(GridColumnInfo ci, Int32 nWidthInPixels, Int32 colIndex)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.Grid.GridControl.AllocateCheckBoxColumn(GridColumnInfo ci, Int32 nWidthInPixels, Int32 colIndex)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.Grid.GridControl.AllocateColumn(Int32 colType, GridColumnInfo ci, Int32 nWidthInPixels, Int32 colIndex)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.Grid.GridControl.InsertColumnInternal(Int32 nIndex, GridColumnInfo ci)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.Grid.DlgGridControl.InsertColumnInternal(Int32 nIndex, GridColumnInfo ci)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.Grid.GridControl.AddColumnInternal(GridColumnInfo ci)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.Grid.GridControl.AddColumn(GridColumnInfo ci)
    at Microsoft.DataTransformationServices.DTSExecUI.Controls.DataSourcesCtrl.InitGrid()
    at…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. SQL Agent job move steps

When using SSMS 18 Preview 6 & 7, there is a bug when you move a step in a sql agent job.
    If I click on one of the move step arrows, either up or down, I get the following error:
    TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio

Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
    Parameter name: index (mscorlib)

BUTTONS:

OK

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. UTF-8 in SQL 2019: Install fails with "Could not find the Database Engine startup handle." if a Unicode-only Collation is selected

In SQL Server 2019 CTP 2.1 it became possible to select a UTF-8 Collation to be the Instance-level Collation. While the Installer UI does a good job of preventing one from selecting an invalid combination of Collation properties, it does allow one to select a Unicode-only Collation (i.e. a Collation that does not have a non-Unicode 8-bit Code Page, hence it reports that the Code Page for such a Collation is "0"). When selecting a Unicode-only Collation, the UI does properly indicate that both the "Supplementary characters" and "UTF-8" options are assumed to be selected (see attached image). These two…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base