SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server 2017 powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server 2017 brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Ability to run specific SQL Agent job steps

Occasionally a user may need to run only specific steps of an agent job, or need the job stop after a certain step.

While SQL Server Agent currently provides the ability to "Start job at step", this is all the flexibility the user has at runtime. Anything beyond that requires the job to be edited.

It would be useful for those with permission only to run (not edit) jobs to have greater flexibility at runtime. E.g. a screen which allows the user to choose which steps to run or skip for that particular execution.

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Multi-threaded rebuilds of Clustered Columnstore Indexes break the sequence of pre-sorted segment ordering (Order Clustering)

In order to get a better performance as well as compression results, we can sort the data in a RowStore engine before creating Columnstore Index to get a better Segment Elimination.

What happens is that if we build a Clustered Columnstore directly after sorted RowStore with (DROP_EXISTING=ON) to get a perfect Order Clustering, we have the order maintained just partially.

To test it, download ContosoRetailDW (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=18279),
    and run the following script:

ALTER TABLE dbo.[FactOnlineSales] DROP CONSTRAINT [FK_FactOnlineSales_DimCurrency];
    ALTER TABLE dbo.[FactOnlineSales] DROP CONSTRAINT [FK_FactOnlineSales_DimCustomer];
    ALTER TABLE dbo.[FactOnlineSales] DROP CONSTRAINT [FK_FactOnlineSales_DimDate];
    ALTER TABLE dbo.[FactOnlineSales] DROP CONSTRAINT [FK_FactOnlineSales_DimProduct];
    ALTER TABLE dbo.[FactOnlineSales]…

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 47

<=-=Jul 3 2014 10:03AM=-=>

This would definitely be a good build. I walked through an initial investigation of clustered columnstore on one of our data sets, and the number of reads was reduced by about 80% for some queries in the workload once I started paying careful attention to segments and loading data in a single-threaded manner to optimize segment elimination. However, this results in slower loading of data, and it would be great to be able to create columnstore indexes in order for segment elimination.

Having an optional ORDER BY clause for the columnstore initial creation, removing the need to first create a clustered index in order to control order and allowing parallelism without breaking order, would be particularly powerful.

<=-=Jul 3 2014 10:30AM=-=>

Neugebauer: thanks. you identified the issue correctly. This is something we are actively looking. One question
    (1) once the index is build, the…

3. SSMS and Grouping by Schema

Let SSMS group tables & other objects by Schema! This makes large databases a lot easier to maintain.

If I have a database with a lot of objects, say 300, organized in a lot of schemas (say 20), it is not easy to keep the overview. In Visual Studio there is a solution: You can group the objects by schema. There is even an outdated SSMS extension: https://ssmsschemafolders.codeplex.com

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Enable SSRS parameter visibility to be set dynamically by expression

SSRS columns can be set to display dynamically based on an expression, but SSRS parameters can only be set to Visible, Hidden, or Internal. My suggestion is to add the ability to control SSRS parameter visibility by expression as well.

25 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Change the way Script Task/Components are handled in SSIS

When having to work with script task or components inside of SSIS it becomes quiet tedious because the loading times are exessive and the functionalities are rather limited.
    I would like to propose a new form of Script Task, a Script Task v2 if you will. Instead of just exposing a subset of VS making this Script Task a proper C#/VB.net proj that compiles down to a dll. That has a Main Class that implements an interface that contains a execute-method.
    These Projects would be added to the SSIS Solution as seperate Projects offering everything from Nuget to properly allowing…

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Traceflag 460 causing truncation errors on code paths that are not followed

This is an odd one. I have tested this on both SQL Server 2017 CU12 and CU13 (in a container and on my production boxes).

If you have an IF/ELSE condition, and you are inserting into a table variable in the ELSE, and that INSERT would cause a truncation issue, it will throw an error, EVEN IF THE CODE IS NOT EXECUTED.

I have attached a reprop script that creates a database called "Repro" and runs the code. When TF460 is enabled, the ELSE block with throw an error when inserting into a table variable, even though it is impossible…

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  5 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Add setting so LEN counts trailing whitespace

Maybe there is a historic reason why LEN('a') and LEN('a ') return the same number.

But that's stupid.

The internet is awash with people like me who were stunned to discover this counter intuitive quirk (Google it).

None of the solutions to this problem are particularly elegant or efficient:
    https://stackoverflow.com/questions/2025585/len-function-not-including-trailing-spaces-in-sql-server/2025587

I'm assuming since this has been baked in for ages, we can't change default behavior.

So how about:
    - Add a parameter to the LEN function to count white space
    - Add an SQL Option that more generally keeps SQL Server's hands off my white space - everywhere

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  6 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Fix the Problem of Converting Hijri Dates to Gregorian Dates

Currently Microsoft tsql function called Convert() is not able to convert the Hijri date 'yyyy-02-30' to its corresponding Gregorian Date, here are the details of this issue

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/b86b0cf6-280d-436e-ba92-ff168794c420/error-in-converting-hijri-date-to-gregorian-date?forum=sqlnetfx&prof=required

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. SQL Server 2017 Installer should recognize Java JDK 9

SQL Server 2017 Installer should recognize Java 9

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Setup + Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Installation option for Lock Pages in Memory

I would like to have an option to set Lock Pages in Memory in the SQL Server command line installation.

Something like this:

/SQLSVCLOCKPAGESINMEMORY

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/database-engine/install-windows/install-sql-server-from-the-command-prompt

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Columnstore REORGANIZE command increases modification_counter on table statistics

Reorganizing a columnstore index can, in some cases, cause the modification_counter on the table's statistics to increase. This is unexpected because while the underlying structure of the table is being changed, the data itself isn't being modified. This can lead to issues where SQL is automatically updating statistics the next time a query is executed against the table in cases where the modification_counter increases a significant amount because of the REORGANIZE. This has been particularly problematic for our large fact table with 150+ billion rows and full scan statistics across 40+ columns.

Attached is a reproduction script with three examples:

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. SQL 2017: "SET FMTONLY ON" doesn't return any resultset on UDF w/ COMPATIBILITY_LEVEL=140

Our application uses at various places the SchemaOnly attribute (see https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.data.commandbehavior(v=vs.110).aspx). Lately, we noticed some strange errors when the application runs against a DB on SQL Server 2017. I boiled the issue down to the attached repro script in T-SQL, that shows clearly that SQL Server doesn' return any metadata, if a table-valued function is called using SET FMTONLY ON with COMPATIBILITY_LEVEL=140. But it works as expected using COMPATIBILITY_LEVEL=130. As I didn't find any word on this breaking change in the docs, I consider this a bug.

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  5 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. SSDT 17.x - Unable to preview SSIS OLE DB Data Source when using Oracle Connector

I have an SSIS packages that queries an Oracle data source. When trying to preview the query in the data source configuration window, it errors out.

Technical Details:
    Visual Studio 2015, Update 3, Version 14.0.25431.01
    SSDT 17.4 (Build 14.0.61712.050)
    Oracle Client 12.1.0
    OLE DB Connector: Oracle Provider for OLE DB
    Error Details:
    ===================================

There was an error displaying the preview. (Microsoft Visual Studio)

===================================

The system cannot find message text for message number 0x80040e51 in the message file for OraOLEDB. (OraOLEDB)

------------------------------
    Program Location:

at Microsoft.DataTransformationServices.Design.UnsafeNativeMethods.ICommandWithParameters.GetParameterInfo(IntPtr& pcParams, IntPtr& prgParamInfo, IntPtr& ppNamesBuffer)
    at Microsoft.DataTransformationServices.Design.DesignUtils.GetQueryParameters(ConnectionManager connectionManager, String sqlStatement)
    at Microsoft.DataTransformationServices.Design.PipelineUtils.ShowDataPreview(String sqlStatement, QueryParameter[]…

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  6 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. CDW from 2016 to 2017 ends with "Property HasMemoryOptimizedObjects is not available for Database"

Hi
    I'm trying to copy a couple of databases from a SQL2016 to SQL2017 using the Copy Database Wizard.
    I'm using SQL Management Object Method in SSMS 17.3
    SSIS Proxy account is sysadmin on both instances and local admin i Windows on both servers.
    When running the job I get the error "Property HasMemoryOptimizedObjects is not available for Database '[DATABASENAME]'. This property may not exist for this object, or may not be retrievable due to insufficient access rights.
    The databases has no Memory Optimization configured.

If I try to use detach/attache methods I can't select any of the databases witch…

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Add columns has_victims and is_intra_query_deadlock to the event xml_deadlock_report

When working with deadlocks I have found that it would be useful to to have some columns added to the event xml_deadlock_report.

* has_victims - SQL Server sometimes generates large number of intra-query xml_deadlock_report - events with no victims, and no errors. It would be useful to be able to filter them out.

* is_intra_query_deadlock - Intra-query deadlocks where the process is aborted (getting an error) are rather serious bugs in SQL Server.
    When working with Microsoft Support you are often asked for stack dumps. You can use extended events to generate stack dumps, but then it would be good…

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. SSRS Emailing Reports Should allow password & encryption for GDPR compliance & Extra Security

When configuring SSRS to email a report on a schedule, it does not allow the files to be encrypted or to be password protected. For GDPR compliance this should be added to protect data that is sent by email or other delivery mechanisms.

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. provide lpad/rpad funtion

In 15 years of sql server development, was the lack of native lpad/rpad string funtions, one of the main pain. Please provide native left padding (lpad) and right padding (rpad) funtions.
    Every main DBMS supports this function, except MS SQL Server.
    I think this an easy subject that has to be changed.

The follwolling DBMS supports rpad/lpad:
    - Oracle
    - Postgresql ()
    - MySQL
    - DB2
    - Informix

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 1

<=-=May 29 2017 1:07PM=-=>

Thanks you for the idea. We will keep it into the backlog but we cannot guarantee when it would be implemented. We have already added several new string functions STRING_AGG, TRIM, TRANSLATE, and it would be good to add more. We are prioritizing functions that might be added so we cannot confirm when we will add this one.

18. Add array-support to SQL server engine

Arrays are a core part of programming, except in SQL-server, where they don't exist.

PostgreSQL has had array support for over 15 years (version 7.1 in 2001) by now...
    https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/arrays.html

And yet, in the year 2016, in the MS-universe, we still can't even parametrize an IN-clause in a SIMPLE & performant way, for example in a table-valued function or when passing a multiple-choice drop-down selection from SQL-Server reporting-services, or the combination of the two...

Instead, there are a multitude of horrible, error-prone, complicated, user-unfriendly, slow & unperformant ways of working around the problem. For example, when you need to prevent…

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 6

<=-=Mar 3 2017 2:00PM=-=>

We are aware that this is important missing feature; however, we have no plans to add this in the near future. We will keep this request in backlog to see how many votes will get.

<=-=Jul 1 2017 7:03PM=-=>

Can’t even remember how many times I’ve wished to have this in SQL server.

If you want to get a somewhat realistic feel of how talked about this feature really is, you can check out the number of votes and more importantly views that this StackOverflow question has:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/1732613/how-to-declare-array-inside-sql-server-stored-procedure

Unfortunately, not many people visit this website and participate in voting here so it’s not a reliable indicator of how much any particular feature is requested. Please consider moving to UserVoice. Visual Studio UserVoice for example has loads more activity.

<=-=Jul 1 2017 11:17PM=-=>

We totally understand that t-sql as a language itself is desigened to…

19. VS 2017 SSDT SSIS Dark Theme fail

VS 2017 SSDT SSIS Dark Theme: Annotations and dataflow row numbers are in white text, therefore invisible.

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 4

<=-=Oct 12 2017 11:54AM=-=>

Agreed – it’s pretty much unusable with the dark theme. See attachment of screenshot.

<=-=Oct 12 2017 11:55AM=-=>

Apparently I can’t add an attachment so for a screenshot look here: https://i.imgur.com/X2PfTp7.png

<=-=Oct 25 2017 9:23AM=-=>

I am also getting this. I thought I was going crazy! When I was using VS 2015 my canvas color was black, so the dark theme worked. But now that I have installed windows 10 and VS 2017 fresh, and the white text on cream background is totally unreadable. Is there any way to change the canvas color?

20. Add Central Management Server support to Azure SQL Database

Registering a new Central Management Server currently requires msdb and as such, we cannot register a Central Management Server in an Azure SQL Database. It would be great to have this feature to help support managing on-premise database instances as well as Azure SQL Servers.

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base