SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server 2017 powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server 2017 brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. SSMS: Generate Scripts wizard does not respect that "match source" setting

Generate Scripts wizard does not respect that "match source" setting

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. SMSS 17.8 & 17.9 crash on tabular and cube

SMSS 17.8 & 17.9 crashes as soon as I click on a tabular or a cube database. This is always and repeatable.

Problem details show a: System.NullReferenceException.

SQL Server Build 13.0.4522.0 (2016 SP1 CU8 or CU9).

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. SSMS 17.6 - Cannot schedule a maintenance plan while in creation, crashes the SSMS tool.

While creating a maintenance plan, click on the scheduler icon to create a schedule, the application crashes.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Error when adding case sensitive collation database to Availability Databases

When adding a database that has case sensitive collation to Availability Databases (SSMS -> Always On High Availability -> Availability Groups -> Group Name) it will fail with the following error: "The multi-part identifier "a.delimited" could not be bound".

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Bug with SET SHOWPLAN_ALL ON

In Management Studio V17.4 me and my colleague both gets the error "Input string was not in a correct format. (mscorlib)" when we have first executed the SET SHOWPLAN_ALL ON statement and do a simple select like SELECT * FROM sys.objects afterwards

This works in SQL 2016, so something must be broken in SQL 2017

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. SSMS 17.4 - Error when enabling page compression on index through GUI

When trying to enable page compression on an index through the GUI (SSMS 17.4), I get the following error: "Object reference not set to an instance of an object".

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. SSMS Flat File Import is not working for SSMS 18.1 upgrade

When upgrading SSMS 18.0 to 18.1, the Flat File Import is no longer importing csv, tab delimited or other delimited files.

Procedure:

1. Open SSMS 18.1, select any database to import to.
    2. Right click | Task | Import Flat File
    3. When presented by the file browse of the Wizard, navigate to where the attached (test_csv.txt) and load
    4. The attached (flat_file_import_error.png) appears.

note: This looks to be happening in my machine, as a fresh install SSMS 18.1 instead of an update on a different machine works.

Attached:
    flat_file_import_error.png - screenshot of error
    test_csv.txt - sample csv used
    ssmssetup_logs.zip…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Can't Install SSMS 18 with Visual Studio 2019

Installing SSMS 18 GA will fail if Visual Studio 2019 has been installed, as the former requires Visual Studio Tools for Applications 2017, which will not install if the latter is already installed.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Disabled non-clustered index still shows as enabled in a SQL Table

I created a Non Clustered Index on SQL 2017 and 2016. After testing my workload I disabled it using the GUI. But the "Disable" sign still stays and it lets me click on it repeatedly.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. SSMS 18.0 crashes when closing Extended Events Watch Live Data window

SSMS 18.0 crashes when closing Extended Events Watch Live Data window.

I've had this happen on consistently using the repro steps detailed below, with SSMS running on both Windows 10 and Windows Server 2012.

Repro steps:
    1. Create and start an XE session similar to the following:
    -- Create the session
    CREATE EVENT SESSION [FailedQueries] ON SERVER
    ADD EVENT sqlserver.error_reported(
    WHERE ([severity]>(10)))
    ADD TARGET package0.ring_buffer(SET max_memory=(10240))
    WITH (MAX_MEMORY=4096 KB,EVENT_RETENTION_MODE=ALLOW_SINGLE_EVENT_LOSS,MAX_DISPATCH_LATENCY=30 SECONDS,MAX_EVENT_SIZE=0 KB,MEMORY_PARTITION_MODE=NONE,TRACK_CAUSALITY=OFF,STARTUP_STATE=OFF)
    GO
    -- Start the session
    ALTER EVENT SESSION [FailedQueries]
    ON SERVER STATE = START
    GO

2. Select "Watch Live Data" from the context menu for the new XE session.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Reimplement ERD Diagrams in (SSMS18)

ERD Diagrams are basically needed to check the structure (visual) of a database. it was a key component of SSMS. Why would you even remove it and force us to install another 3rd party app, while SSMS is already a bloatware on itself...

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Write-SqlTableData SqlBulkCopy times out even with the Timeout parameter specified as 0

Inside the SqlServer module (21.1.18102) the cmdlet Write-SqlTableData has a -Timeout parameter that I set to 0 and when running a decent amount of data to a table, you get an error below which means to me that the Timeout parameter is not honored. When I code my own SqlBulkCopy object and set the BulkCopyTimeout = 0 it does not timeout on the same import.

Write-SqlTableData : Execution Timeout Expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the
    server is not responding.
    The statement has been terminated.
    At C:\dba\bin\RunGRM.ps1:69 char:3
    + Write-SqlTableData -ServerInstance $ServerInstance -Database ... …

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. SSMS 18 fails to install when log path contains spaces

When executing SSMS-Setup-ENU.exe with the /Log argument that points to a directory path that contains spaces, the install fails.

This appears to be because the quoted log path is not passed correctly to VSTS_setup.exe.

Compare the two extracts from install log files. The first fails, whereas the second succeeds.

[43E0:4374][2019-04-29T14:01:56]i301: Applying execute package: VSTA2017, action: Install, path: C:\ProgramData\Package Cache\BBABC3362FBBB5C3B3543B252A5D7E5C9D9E6B36\redist\vsta_setup.exe, arguments: '"C:\ProgramData\Package Cache\BBABC3362FBBB5C3B3543B252A5D7E5C9D9E6B36\redist\vsta_setup.exe" /q /norestart /log C:\Users\David\AppData\Local\Temp\\chocolatey\\SQL Server Management Studio\SQL Server Management Studio.MsiInstall_6_VSTA2017.log'
    [43A4:43A0][2019-04-29T14:01:56]i000: MainViewModel.OnPackageActionProgress: Percent completed: 50, Overall progress: 50
    [43A4:43A0][2019-04-29T14:01:56]i000: MainViewModel.OnPackageActionProgress: Percent completed: 50, Overall progress: 50
    [43A4:43A0][2019-04-29T14:01:57]i000: MainViewModel.OnPackageActionProgress: Percent completed: 50, Overall progress: 50
    [43A4:43A0][2019-04-29T14:01:57]i000: MainViewModel.OnPackageActionProgress: Percent completed:…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Setup + Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. SSMS 18 preview 6 show error at change job step order

In SSMS 18 preview 6 at trying change a job step order the SSMS threw an error:

Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
    Parameter name: index (mscorlib)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. UTF-8 in SQL 2019: Binary UTF-8 Collations are missing

In SQL Server 2019, CPT 2 there are no binary versions of the new UTF-8 Collations. Why not? There does not seem to be any good reason for this omission.

1) It doesn't matter that the Code Page is the same for all UTF-8 Collations (Code Page = 65001): the same is true for all Unicode-only Collations (Code Page = 0) and there are multiples of those (not sure why though; it would make more sense to have a single "Common" / "Invariant" for "UnicodeOnly_BIN2" and "UTF8_BIN2").

2) It doesn't matter that binary Collations don't truly support Supplementary Characters: they…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. MSSQL 2014 SP2 CU10 KB4057307 fix broke something about a way M2M works with cache

Dear Support,

There is an issue in MSSQL 2014 SP2 CU10 fix of KB4057307: it breaks something in SSAS cache if M2M in cubes are used.

Description of the problem and source of detected problem:
    https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/cecbd6d5-69b8-4410-9c51-a791e6e2cf75/the-mdx-function-failed-because-current-coordinate-is-empty?forum=sqlanalysisservices&prof=required

Symptoms: connecting to the cube, starting to receive messages "MDX function failed because current coordinate is empty".

Solutions:
    1) temporary: clear cube cache (not a solution for production to clean cache during the day)
    2) roll back to CU9.

There is a new CU11 available already.
    Question: is this cache issue that started in CU10 - fixed in CU11?
    Or for solution need to…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  4 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Hi, can anyone tell me when security patches for the meltdown/spectre vulnerability will be made available within the Microsoft update catal

Hi, can anyone tell me when security patches for the meltdown/spectre vulnerability will be made available within the Microsoft update catalog? I would like to push them down Via wsus but cannot do this due to them now being added into the catalog or wsus.

KB4057121 for 2012

KB4057113 for 2008 R2

thanks

Lee

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Fix spelling error in template "Database Mail" > "Simple Database Mail Configuration"

The word "specified" is spelled incorrectly of line 79 of the Simple Database Mail Configuration Template on SSMS 17.4.

The line reads "RAISERROR('Failed to associate the speficied profile with the specified account (<account_name,sysname,SampleAccount>).', 16, 1) ;"

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Option to specify the SSMS 2016 Installation Path

The Installation of SSMS 2016 makes the Path Environment path very long. To get around it we would like to install it on a shorter path, but it looks like there is no option to specify the Installation Path like there was when SSMS was part of the SQL installation in SQL 2014.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This can be done with SSMS 18.
    Please download the Preview 5 and validate if you are able to do this.
    Also note that the install needs to happen via command line to install SSMS in a [non-C] folder.

For instance, for culture = en-us, the install would look like:

SSMS-setup-enu.exe SSMSInstallRoot=“X:/MySSMS”

thanks,
    Dinakar

• Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base