Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more here.

SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Microsoft Q&A or Stack Overflow

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. CDW says "Object reference not set to an instance of an object"

It appears that CDW does not handle a source server specified on the form .\INSTANCE correctly.

On my machine I have a default instance of SQL 2000, two more named 2000 instance and one named 2005 instance.

Connected to the 2005 instance, I select a database and from the context menu I pick All Tasks->Copy Database. In the Source Server dialogue ".\NELJ�" is pre-filled, this is my 2005 instance.

I advance to the Destination Server, where (local) is filled in. As this is SQL 2000, that is a not a legal target, so I change to an SQL 2005 instance.…

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 0

<=-=Feb 21 2006 4:04PM=-=>

Hi Erland,
    Thank you for your feedback. We will evaluated this for a fix in a future release. As you mentioned that you have a workaround and can get past, so I guess it is not a blocking issue.
    Thanks,
    Ramesh Singh

<=-=Mar 28 2006 5:08PM=-=>

Quick update. We are placing this bug report under consideration for SP2.

<=-=Jun 29 2006 10:54AM=-=>

Hi Erland,

I just wanted to let you know that this problem has been fixed.

Thanks again for all your useful comments.

Oscar Naim
    SQL Server
    Program Manager

2. When scriptiong a DB file with ANSI format, non-ASCII letters are incorrectly replaced by ?

When scripting a database with output to file with ANSI format, non-ASCII characters such as ��� are replaced by ?, although these characters appear into the ANSI code page.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 1

<=-=Mar 6 2006 1:32PM=-=>

Hi Erland,
    Thank you for your feedback. I have marked this to be reviewed for SP2 along with many other scripting issues.
    Thanks
    Ramesh Singh

<=-=Jun 26 2006 6:14AM=-=>

Thank you for providing feedback. This bug will be addressed in Future Service Pack

Thanks,
    Alok

3. OPENXML causes system assertion failure

Running a SPROC with OPENXML causes an assertion failure.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 4

<=-=May 22 2006 4:04PM=-=>

Thank you for the report. This has been verified as a bug in the OpenXML implementation in SQL Server 2005 and a fix is being investigated. In the meantime, a workaround is to store the OpenXML results in a temp table and reference the temp table from the query. In the original query from the repro, this could improve performance since it would prevent the OpenXML clause from being evaluated multiple times. Here’s a rewrite of the original repro that gives the expect results:

CREATE PROCEDURE [dbo].[OpenXMLBug]
    AS
    BEGIN
    SET NOCOUNT ON

DECLARE @h int DECLARE @xmldoc varchar(8000) — Get from Zillow Web Service DECLARE @Latitude varchar(20) DECLARE @Longitude varchar(20)

set @xmldoc = ‘<?xml version=“1.0” encoding=“utf-8”?>47.552557-121.994862’

EXEC sp_xml_preparedocument @h OUTPUT, @xmldoc

SELECT * INTO #ox FROM OPENXML SELECT TOP 1 @Latitude = CAST) FROM #ox as a INNER JOIN #ox as b…
  4. expired shared schedules can't be edited in Management Studio

Expired shared schedules can't be edited in Management Studio

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=May 26 2006 2:26PM=-=>

sorry… this is a duplicate of http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/productfeedback/viewfeedback.aspx?feedbackid=b1d109db-c4e7-43d2-a967-953be1979df6

<=-=May 31 2006 1:00PM=-=>

Hi furmangg,

Thanks for reportingthis and we will consider this for our next service pack.

I hope you must be already using hte workaround of using sp_update_schedule or SMO Jobscheudle object to update the expired schedule.

Thanks,
    Gops Dwarak

<=-=Nov 3 2007 11:17PM=-=>

For SQL Server 2008, we made following fixes in SSMS and Report Manager:
    1) Users can edit shared schedules in SSMS where end date 2) RM validates that end date start date before creating a schedule.
    Thanks for reporting this issue.

5. Bug in Report Builder (VS 2005) custom color expression

when you click on a custom color in the expression builder it transposes the HEX values for the color

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=May 11 2006 4:04PM=-=>

A fix has been coded and will appear in the next service pack.

-Albert

<=-=Jan 24 2007 7:12PM=-=>

Service pack for which product? I don’t think it’s obvious where the problem resides. VS 2005 or SQL2K5 Report Builder?

<=-=Nov 1 2007 8:54PM=-=>

This was resolved in the report server project in SQL Server 2005 SP2 as well as the local mode report designer Visual Studio 2005 SP1.

6. report models list renders funny when Report Builder is maximized

There's a very annoying formatting problem with the list of report models when you maximize the Report Builder window after scrolling it the first time you pick a model.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. tuples with All member are excluded from an Analysis Services dataset in Reporting Services report

If the tuple (that defines a row) explicitly contains an All member, that row is excluded from the dataset that Reporting Services sees when the report is run.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 3

<=-=Feb 7 2006 5:56PM=-=>

It sounds like you added a table without groupings and just added the fields.
    A table without any groups means you are showing detail data in the table. Subtotal (aggregate) rows are not detail data. Hence, those rows do not show up when running the report for instance in preview.

If you add groupings on the table based on the dimensions (e.g. Product), and use the Aggregate() function accordingly in the group headers/footers, the table will show the appropriate aggregated measure values from the AS flattened rowset in the correct scopes.

As you have identified, if you change the data source type from “Analysis Services” to “OleDB” you will get a different behavior: aggregate rows show up as detail rows. However, I would think that in most scenarios treating aggregate rows as detail rows in a report is incorrect and you should really understand…

8. SQLServerXADataSource IntegratedSecurity not working with JBoss application server

When setting the IntegratedSecurity in the XA datasource on JBoss to true, Microsoft's JDBC driver doesn't resolve the 'true' setting to boolean value but throws an error:

java.lang.NoSuchMethodException: com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerXADataSource.setIntegratedSecurity(java.lang.String)

This is only the issue when using the XA datasource, non XA datasources work normally.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. SSMS : Grid alignment, column width seems arbitrary

This varies from database to database, and seems to depend in some cases on how large your results pane is, but if I have SSMS in grid mode, and I run three identical queries, the varchar columns in each result can have very different widths.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 19

<=-=Jul 21 2008 8:00AM=-=>

Hi Arron,
    Thanks for the feedback. This is something we’ll look at post SQL2K8.

Cheers,
    Dan Jones
    Group Program Manager
    SQL Server Manageability

<=-=Mar 11 2010 3:21AM=-=>

Hi Aaron,

Thanks again for reporting this! Your feedback is very valuable to us. During every release, we make sure to review all customer suggestions to help guide our decision making.

Unfortunately, after taking a look at the suggestions and priorities, we will not be addressing this suggestion for our next release.

Given this decision, I am going to go ahead and resolve this suggestion as won�t fix. If you have any questions or comments, feel free to either reactivate the bug or shoot me an email at harahma@microsoft.com

Thanks,
    Hasibur Rahman
    SDE, SQL Team

<=-=Oct 8 2014 8:17AM=-=>

This issue is still present in SSMS for SQL Server 2014 RTM.

<=-=Jan 13 2016 9:40AM=-=>

10. Cannot import multiple tables with identity columns

When using the import/export wizard to import more than one table and selecting the options to delete all rows first and allow inserting of identity columns, the process will fail with the error saying that duplicate records cannot be inserted. Some tables might be imported correctly but I can never tell which tables.

I saved the import task to an SSIS package and inspected it. I only saw the "GO" statements in the prepare SQL task. For example, if I am importing three tables, I will see three "GO" statements. If I add the necessary "TRUNCATE" statements in the prepare…

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Client Hangs if connected and servers goes offline

The Managment Studio Hangs when you are connected to a SQL Server via the Object Explore and the SQL Server goes offline (is stopped, crashes, restarted, etc).

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Aug 3 2006 5:07PM=-=>

Hi mrdenny,

I have looked at this issue and agree that this can be a problem. Although it is hopefully rare. Still, I am thinking we might want to look at how we might be able to handle the ‘unavailable’ issue a little more gracefully. I will put this on the list of items we will consider for the next general release of SQL Server.

Thanks for letting us know where we can improve the user experience.

Terrence Nevins
    SQL Server Program Manager

<=-=Oct 11 2007 9:40AM=-=>

This request was closed from a work item and recreated as a defect correction request. We will evaluate the request and assign it to a developer if appropriate. Thanks for your feedback!

Buck Woody, SQL Server Program Manager

12. Import data wizard don't write TRUNCATE instructions if there are too many tables selected

If I generate a SSIS package with Import Data wizard getting more than 400 tables from an Access database and writing to an existing SQL Server database with the same structure, I don't have the TRUNCATE TABLE instructions for all tables on the SQL task before the the Data Flow Task.
    If I create many differente SSIS packages with the same wizard, each one with a maximum of around 30 tables, every package have the TRUNCATE TABLE instructions required

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 2

<=-=Dec 12 2006 2:05PM=-=>

Hi Marco,

thanks for reporting this issue.
    We are aware of this problem and it should be addressed in one of the future releases.

<=-=Jul 9 2007 10:34AM=-=>

The problem will be fixed in SQL Server 2008 release. Thank you for reporting the problem

13. Import Data from Access to SQL Server didn't make right conversion if table already exists

I recently tried to import an Access database to SQL Server. The SQL Server database was already defined with same tables and column names, but due to a recent restyiling some int fields on Access becomed tinyint on SQL Server.
    Existing data were in tinyint domain, but SSIS package generated by Import wizard fails because tinyint was expected and int is not convertable to tinyint. I needed to add a derived column and to change the column mappings in destination adapter, but it wouldn't be required in DTS due to implicit conversion between data types.
    I would expect a similar…

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Oct 12 2006 2:05PM=-=>

[Bulk edit]
    Thanks for reporting this issue, unfortunately we are not able to implement your suggestions (or fixes) in the Yukon timeframe; however we have considered this feedback useful enough that we have either:
    1) Closed this bug as a duplicate of a (similar) parent tracking item in the next verison of our product, Katmai
    or
    2) Moved this bug into Katmai as a parent tracking-item and grouped other similar bugs underneath it.

Either way, we are listening to your ideas and considering them for the next version. In some circumstances we have actually made a few changes in SP2 to address some of these issues too.

<=-=Oct 12 2006 2:08PM=-=>

Sorry – this bug was actually moved to SP3, not Katmai

<=-=Jul 2 2007 6:37PM=-=>

Thanks for reporting this issue, we have made several improvements to the Import/Export wizard and we believe this…

14. Setting SMTP ConnectionManager Runtime Expressions

Using Variable to set the Expression for the SmtpServer. Then setting the variable as a runtime parameter, the connection string does not get evaluated to the runtime setting of the variable. It continues to use the value set statically on the variable within the package.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jul 21 2006 3:04PM=-=>

Thank you for using SQL Server Integration Services.
    We are investigating this issue.
    For now, One work around is to create a property expression on the entire connectionstring property rather than just the smpt server.

<=-=Jul 24 2006 9:09AM=-=>

I have attempted to set the connectstring property, using expressions and user variables, but it fails to validate that the expression is valid. Do you have an example of an expression setting the connection string where the smtp_server would be a user variable? If so, I will give that a try. Thanks.

<=-=Nov 16 2006 7:32AM=-=>

Not Able to Repro on RTM build
    DTExec /F package.dtsx /SET “\Package.Variables[User::SMTPServer]”;“GOODSMTPServer”

SSIS: RTM Dev ENG

<=-=Nov 16 2006 7:33AM=-=>

Not Able to Repro on RTM build
    DTExec /F package.dtsx /SET “\Package.Variables[User::SMTPServer]”;“GOODSMTPServer”

SSIS: …

15. xml schema collection does not properly validate an xsd:dateTime

An xml schema collection will produce an error when it tries to validate an xsd:datetime that does not end with Z. As far as I can tell from the XML Schema rec' the Z is optional. Other schema validator accept as valid xsd:datetime without a Z at the end.

CREATE XML SCHEMA COLLECTION TimeTest
    AS
    '<xsd:schema xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema&quot;
    targetNamespace="TimeTest">
    <xsd:element name="date" type="xsd:dateTime"/>
    </xsd:schema>'

DECLARE @x xml(TimeTest)
    SET @x='<date xmlns="TimeTest">2002-10-10T12:00:00</date>'

/*
    Produces this error

Msg 6926, Level 16, State 1, Line 3
    XML Validation: Invalid simple type value: '2002-10-10T12:00:00'. Location: /:date[1]
    /

-- works as expected
    DECLARE @x xml(TimeTest) …

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 6

<=-=Sep 8 2006 3:52PM=-=>

Dear Dan

Thanks for your feedback. You are indeed correct that XML Schema allows values with and without timezone to be validated and processed and that our other validators support it. However, since the SQL Server architecture does not support such a complex datetime type yet, we had to make an implementation decision on whether to support only values with or without timezone in the SQL Server 2005 release. After consulting several hundred beta customers we decided to require the timezone.

Current workarounds include:
    1. Change the schema type to xs:string (you will lose operational semantics)
    2. Store the XML data without a schema constraint, perform the schema validation on the mid-tier or use the SQLCLR to write a function that passes the XML and XML Schema to the validator.
    3. Make sure that the generated values associate a timezone.

We are working on…

16. Flat File Connection Manager HeaderRowsToSkip not modifiable at runtime?

I have been working with flat file connection managers for a while now, and I have found it very useful to set properties on all types of SSIS objects using expressions that are set to SSIS package variables.

We have recently moved towards using a centralized application configuration infrastructure, so we are now loading up all application configuration information from our own system -- it's actually based off of the 2.0 ConfigurationManager.

I have developed a custom control flow task that will retrieve all of the SSIS variable information from our own application configuration system and set all of the…

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Unable to create query plan for Pivot query

I am generating a query for counting male and female with each age range.

If in pivot I will set the count on [age] field I will get the result
    But if I will set count on [gender1] field ( i add gender field again with gender1 alias in main query)

I get erros like

query processor could not produce a query plan. For more information, contact Customer Support Services

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 2

<=-=Sep 20 2006 5:05PM=-=>

Thanks for your feedback. This issue is planned to be fixed in the next Service Pack – SP2.

<=-=Jul 12 2007 11:16PM=-=>

Why this is changed from closed to active? I have checked on my laptop On SQL Server 2005 with sp2, its working fine.

18. Well-formed xml can cause .query to raise an error

SQL Server will accecpt xml as being well-formed but then later when the .query function is used on it, it will claim it is not well-formed and raise an error. There doesn't seem to be a way to defensively code around this, so it can lead to latent errors that could be quite hard to debug. There are also a number of other kinds of errors and unexpected behavior it generates.

The documentation for SQL Server 2005 says that xml is stored in UTF-16 encoding. In fact the doc's make a point that xml is stored differently than NCHARs, which…

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 3

<=-=Jul 19 2006 4:04PM=-=>

Hi Dan

Thanks for reporting this issue. As we discussed, you are correct that SQL Server’s XML support is only UTF-16 safe (meaning that we roundtrip UTF-16 encoded data) but it is not UTF-16 aware which leads to the observations you report in your feedback.

We have forwarded the report to the development team and will investigate how we can provide UTF-16 aware processing. In the meantime, I appreciate your feedback and would like to encourage you to enter a vote to indicate how important the issue is for you.

Thanks and best regards
    Michael

<=-=Oct 19 2007 3:15PM=-=>

Just as an update, since SQL Server still only supports UCS2 and not UTF-16 string operations natively, you will continue this behaviour.

Until we find the time to address this issue, you may want to get the data into the …

19. You can not change a dataset names capitalization in SQL Reporting Services 2005

When you want to change the letter capitalization of a dataset name in SQL Reporting Services 2005 an error occurs.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=May 10 2007 4:52PM=-=>

I apologize for the long delay in getting back with you. We appreciate your feedback and are looking into this issue. We have no feedback right now but we will continue to investigate this issue further as part of the next release.

Andrew Harding

<=-=Nov 3 2007 11:24PM=-=>

This has been resolved in the SQL Server 2008 Report Designer.

20. Cannot Browse Cube

When try to browse the cube, AS hangs indefinitely.

We have identified what triggers this bug as using named sets in the MDX script that refer to calculated members that have been assigned to using (not that complex) MDX script assignments.

We have been forced to create the named sets in our AS client tool (and this performs worse).

Can provide a sample cube if required.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 9

<=-=Jul 7 2006 7:12AM=-=>

I believe I’m having the same issue. I’ve used the sample code for ActivityViewer (in samples) and it shows that there is a transaction that stays open when attempting to browse. This might not be the same exact issue, but seems pretty close.

I’ve already my problem in MSDN boards: http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=528778&SiteID=1 .

<=-=Jan 11 2007 10:57AM=-=>

After adding Sharepoint Services 2007 to my development server (windows 2003 sp1) which also has sql server 2005 installed. Analysis services hangs indefinitely when trying to browse any cubes on that server. Foodmart cubes also hang. Starnge thing is that cubes can be browsed from other servers or pc’s. I have uninstalled and reinstalled SQL server 2005 client and server components AS still hangs when I try to browse any cubes.

<=-=Aug 5 2007 8:56AM=-=>

I think I’m having the exact same issue with this. It’s easier if…

• Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base