Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more here.

SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Microsoft Q&A or Stack Overflow

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. RU: SQL Server 2005 (incorrect translation in "?????? ????????? ?????" report)

RUS: ???????????? ??????? ? ?????? "?????? ????????? ?????": "???? ??????? ???????????? ?????? ??? ???? ??????????????? ??????????? ?????????? ..."
    ENG: incorrect translation in "?????? ????????? ?????" report: "???? ??????? ???????????? ?????? ??? ???? ??????????????? ??????????? ?????????? ..."

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Summary Page Error

When the summary page is displayed the items in the tree are displayed. If all items in the summary page are removed the summary page gets an unhandled exception error from the framework. This disables the summary page.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 1

<=-=Apr 12 2006 2:28PM=-=>

Hi Craig.

I want to let you know that this issue has been entered into the backlog of work for the next general release of SQL Server.

I also want to thank you for taking the time to provide us with the details (including great repro steps) of this bug. We really appreciate it.

Thanks again,

Terrence Nevins
    SQL Server
    Program Manager

3. Can not drop application role from within IDE (Management Studio) if it is created with sp_addapprole

Can not drop application role from within IDE (Management Studio) if it is created with spaddapprole. When i create app role from Management Studio i can successfully drop it from Management Studio. But if i create app role using spaddapprole I can`t drop it from Management Studio. I always get error "database principal owns a schema". But i can successfully drop that role using sp_dropapprole.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 0

<=-=Dec 13 2005 11:08AM=-=>

Hi Sergei,
    Thank you for your feedback. We will address the inconsistency in a future release.
    Thanks
    Ramesh Singh

<=-=Dec 17 2005 12:52PM=-=>

The same issue applies to users created with sp_adduser and similar.

In one way, Mgmt Studio is doing the right thing, because there is a schema, which needs to be dropped, and that’s a different dialog.

But since databases migrated from SQL 2000 has a lot of this, the situation becomes sort of untenable.

Maybe there should be a question “The role owns an empty schema, drop this schema too”? (Obviously, if there are objects in the schema, the schema cannot be dropped.)

Scheduling this for a future release is sort of meaningless, as the problem mainly appears in the transition from SQL 2000.

<=-=Mar 31 2006 7:16AM=-=>

Quick update. We are placing this bug report under consideration for SP2.

<=-=Sep…
  4. Internal Query Processor Error, 8624 (CURSOR)

Converted a previously working database from SQL 2000 Enterprise Ed to SQL 2005 Enterprise Ed. A query which was working fine in 2000 now reports the following error:

Msg 8624, Level 16, State 1, Line 14
    Internal Query Processor Error: The query processor could not produce a query plan. For more information, contact Customer Support Services.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Mar 8 2006 4:20PM=-=>

Hello,

You have hit a fairly generic error condition — the optimizer cannot find a plan, in the time allotted. This is usually because there is a bug in the optimizer causing us to discard or fail to consider good plans. It is rarely because we have more plans to consider than we have time. In order to understand it better I will probably need more information.

In order to find the bug I could use one of the following things, depending on your comfort level:
    1. A machine that you give me access to with your db on it, and allow me to run debug code and test my own fixes;
    2. Send me your database (ideally a mini version that still hits the bug); or
    3. Send me a clone of your database, which is something we will send you a tool…

5. Default Schema

Default schema does not default to dbo. Can not effectively manager SQL server security through Windows Users groups.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 4

<=-=Feb 7 2006 11:00AM=-=>

Thank you very much for your feedback. We are looking to address this issue in a future release of SQL Server.
    Bill Ramos, Program Manager Lead, SQL Tools

<=-=Mar 31 2006 7:56AM=-=>

<=-=Sep 6 2006 1:40AM=-=>

Thank you for providing feedback. This bug will be addressed in Future Service Pack.

<=-=Feb 13 2009 12:28PM=-=>

This error went away for me after I created a table from a sql script. For example: create table dbo.NewTable (x int)

6. Can not precompile local reports

If I publish a website in vs05 and Check "Allow this precompiled
    website to be updatable", everything works.

If I uncheck the box, then the rdlc files get sent to the website
    minus their guts, but with the standard placeholder text you see in
    aspx files that are precompiled.

When you request a local report in your web page, it errors out:

An error occurred during local report processing.
    The definition of the report 'Main Report' is invalid.

The report definition is not valid. Details: Data at the root level
    is invalid. Line 1, position 1.

FYI -others

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=232869&SiteID=1

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. SSMS Status bar hidden in New Query window

As per the attached snapshot, new query windows open with a size that is too big vertically for the client area. The result is that the all important status bar at the bottom is always hidden initially. You have to resize the query window to reduce it's size and once you've done that you need to slide the window upwards to be able to see the status bar. Doing this for every single query window that you open, is very time consuming and irritating.
    The status bar is very important for an SQL developper, as it provides the number of…

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Mar 7 2006 11:16AM=-=>

Hi Patt,

Thanks for taking time to report the issue you have seen .

Below is the invesitgation result from our development team

If the query window is maximized the status bar is clearlky seen

If the query window is not maximied even then the status bar is seen.

The only case when it is not seen is when the Query window is not maximized and user
    moves the query window down the Management Studio application

This is by design.

Thanks,
    Gops Dwarak

<=-=Mar 11 2006 1:49PM=-=>

I was able to reproduce the problem without user intervention. With a resolution of 1152x 864 I maxmized Mgmt Studio, anc changed to MDI, and had “Open new query window on startup”. I then closed Mgmt Studio. When I started SSMS again, that first window had status bar below the edge. Subsequent windows opened correctly.

I…

8. Management Studio Template Explorer (Vorlagen-Explorer) context menu (keyboard) not working

The context menu in the Template Explorer (Vorlagen-Explorer) is not working when pressing the context menu key on the keyboard.
    The context menu of menu bars is shown instead of the context menu of code snippets.
    Right-click with the mouse displays the correct context menu.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Apr 11 2006 9:00AM=-=>

<=-=Apr 11 2006 9:48AM=-=>

<=-=Jan 22 2008 6:46PM=-=>

Hello migeold,

This issue has been fixed in Yukon SP2.

Regards,
    Rajesh

9. SQL Server 2005 Managment Studio very slow startup in intranet environment

when Insalling SQL Server 2005 Managment Studio in intranet environment
    the startup takes a few minutes.
    the application is trying to accsess the internet and has a very long time out.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 2

<=-=Apr 11 2006 10:36AM=-=>

Thank you very much for your feedback. We value your suggestions and we will consider fixing this problem in a future release.

<=-=Oct 12 2006 12:07PM=-=>

We have not addressed this in Service Pack 2. We need to determine how to reduce the startup time without compromising security. Thanks for filing. We’ll keep you posted on the progress.

Paul A. Mestemaker II
    Program Manager
    Microsoft SQL Server Manageability
    http://blogs.msdn.com/sqlrem/

10. Japanese version of SQL Server Management Studio's "Script Table As" menu item is translated inadequately.

Although only English can be selected as "Submission Language", this bug applies to only Japanese version, so I write down following description by Japanese.

???????/??????????????Script Table As?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
    ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Mar 6 2006 1:32PM=-=>

This bug is loc only so we will trancl it in another database, but thank you for finding the issue

<=-=Mar 13 2006 9:00AM=-=>

This is a small inconsistency issue, this should be fixed in the post beta builds

<=-=Aug 23 2007 9:01AM=-=>

Thanks for your feedback. This issue has been fixed in latest SQL build in developement.

SQL Localization

11. Database file sizes usage report reports negative numbers

When displaying the first of the management reports (titled "Datentr�gerverwendung", that is, volume usage) and having a very big transaction log, the third line in the table at the top of the report where the sizes are reported in MB, displays, for example, -1925 MB. I guess that is an signed integer overflow issus.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Apr 11 2006 5:16PM=-=>

Hi Stefan,

It looks as if this is some type of an overflow issue. I guess we never expected Transaction Logs to be this large.
    I have put this in the queue to get fixed in the next general release of SQL Server.

Thanks for finding this issue and reporting it to us.

Terrence Nevins
    SQL Server
    Program Manager

12. Select Login Dialog requires two tries

When choosing a Login to be a Job owner it does not accept the first one you choose and forces you to choose the same one again.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Sep 11 2005 7:40PM=-=>

Hi AKelly,
    Thank you for your bug report. We are able to reproduce the issue and will consider it for a future service pack.
    Thank you,
    Bill Ramos

<=-=Sep 30 2005 5:40PM=-=>

Thank you for your bug report. We are considering fixing this issue in a future service pack
    Radu Singer

13. alert token A-DBN is not correctly assigend in Job steps

The token A-DBN shows always "master" as database name in a job step although I expected to see the database name of the database where I had defined an alert, which should start a job to backup the transaction log for this database.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 5

<=-=May 5 2006 3:32PM=-=>

This looks like regression.

Thanks for reporting this and we will look at this seriously.
    We are planning to get this addressed in our next service pack.

Thanks,
    Gops Dwarak

<=-=May 5 2006 4:28PM=-=>

This looks like regression.

Thanks for reporting this and we will look at this seriously.
    We are planning to get this addressed in our next service pack.

Thanks,
    Gops Dwarak

<=-=Apr 17 2008 5:23PM=-=>

This issue has been resolved with SQL 2005 SP2

<=-=Mar 23 2011 6:26AM=-=>

We have found the same issue in SQL Server 2008 R2 Enterprise Edition 64 bit with CU 5. The value returned by the A-DBN token is msdb and not the database name from which the alert was generated.

<=-=Jul 13 2011 1:22PM=-=>

reproduced this error in SQL Server 2008 64 bit CU6. The value returned by the A-DBN token is msdb…

14. SQLCMD fails to mention reason why -A does not work with SQL Express

When you try to connect with "SQLCMD -A" to an Express instance. This is because by default DAC is not enabled for the Express Edition. However, the verbose message does not mention this possibility, but gives hints that are misleading.

As you would typically use the DAC in emergency situations, it's essential that you quickly learn that this way is closed.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Dialogwindow cannot be moved. It will always be resized

Dialog can not be moved around with the mouse. If you try to hold the dialog on the windowtop the cursor changes to "windowresize" and behaves like it resizes the window at the bottom right corner.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Apr 24 2006 5:32PM=-=>

Hi Klaus,

Thank you for contacting us about the display behavior issues with management studio. I have placed this item in our backlog of items to consider in the next general release of sql server. Having concise and precise repro steps, such as yours, is a huge help for the team. We really do appreciate your time and effort to bring this item to our attention and helping us to deliver an even better SQL Server in the future.

Terrence Nevins
    SQL Server
    Program Manager

<=-=May 22 2006 1:48PM=-=>

Hi Klaus,

We just got finished reviewing this issue for fixing in Yukon Service Pack 2 and determined that it should be placed in the backlog for the next general release of SQL Server.
    We’ll keep you informed of the status going forward as well.

Thanks,

Terrence Nevins
    SQL Server Program Manager

<=-=Dec 12 2007…
  16. CDW fails when table has CLR UDT column

When I run the Copy Database Wizard with the SMO method, and there is a table that has a CLR UDT column, the job fails with:

Transferring columns of data type "" is not supported.

Since the job succeeds if the type is not in a table, I believe that the job should have succeded.

But if it is indeed unsupported to copy a table column with a CLR UDT, the message must be clearer.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 7

<=-=Sep 21 2005 3:08PM=-=>

Hi Erland,
    I’ve flagged this report as a KB article candidate along with the other CDW bugs. We will look into this for SP1.
    Bill Ramos

<=-=Mar 28 2006 5:08PM=-=>

<=-=Oct 12 2006 3:27PM=-=>

Unfortunately, this issue was not addressed in SP2 due to other requisite changes needed to support this in our Smo and DTS stacks. Improving the error message seen also requires an effort similar to addressing the full issue.

The workaround is to use the Attach method of transfer in CDW.

However, the proper transfer of CLR UDT columns via CDW using the Smo method, or via Smo Transfer is under consideration for a future release.

<=-=Dec 10 2006 6:47AM=-=>

There is still one thing you could to do to be nice to the user. If a user…

17. Documentation on CONTENT/DOCUMENT for XML Schema Collections is thin

ms-help://MS.SQLCC.v9/MS.SQLSVR.v9.en/udb9/html/4bc50af9-2f7d-49df-bb01-854d080c72c7.htm
    CONTENT/DOCUMENT for XML schema collections is described, but very briefely. An example showing the difference would help.

On ms-help://MS.SQLCC.v9/MS.SQLSVR.v9.en/tsqlref9/html/9198f671-8e61-4ca4-9c3a-859f84020e62.htm
    DOCUMENT/CONTENT is entirely missing from the syntax.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. CODE that is not samples is poorly formatted

In some places in Books Online there is code that is not intended to be
    samples, and thus do not appear in a grey box with Copy Code. Instead they
    appear on white background. The problem with this kind of text is that it is
    double-spaced which is not pretty.

For instance:

N'SELECT *

FROM T

WHERE a=10'

View source reveals:

<p xmlns=""><code>N'SELECT *</code></p>
    <p xmlns=""><code>FROM T</code></p>
    <p xmlns=""><code>WHERE a=10'</code></p>

I don't really know how the author environment looks like, so it is
    difficult to suggest what is the best alternative. (Normally that would
    be a <PRE> tag that covers…

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Sep 22 2005 4:12PM=-=>

Thanks. We’ll check to see if these items are styled correctly.

<=-=Sep 22 2006 2:21PM=-=>

My most sincere delay in answering this bug. Unfortunately, the formatting is correct. Recently, the user education department switched to a new authoring environment and that environment does not have all the formatting capability that we would like. We are working to resolve this issue and hope to improve the formatting in a future release.

Thank you for your patience.

<=-=Jun 18 2007 3:10PM=-=>

We have just been provided the styles necessary to properly format code that shows results or error messages without being double spaced. While we would like to provide this information in a monospaced font to improve readability, we do not feel that results sets or message text needs to be copied like actual working code snippets. Therefore, this type of text will be in a…

19. BCP fails to fill in value in INSTEAD OF trigger when colunm is computed

You have a view with a column computed through a UDF, and that has an INSTEAD OF trigger inserts data into the underlying table. You use BCP with -h FIRE_TRIGGERS to load data into the view. However, the values for the computed column are set to NULL.

Since this does not happen with BULK INSERT, I rule out that this is "by design".

The behaviour is the same in SQL 2000 SP4 and SQL 2005.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 5

<=-=Jan 12 2006 2:00PM=-=>

Razvan Socol pointed out to me that the bug is not related to UDF specifically, but affects all columns that are computed, and sent me this modified repro:

USE tempdb
    go
    CREATE TABLE sandell (col1 int NULL,
    col2 int NULL,
    col3 int NULL)
    go
    CREATE FUNCTION myudf(c int) RETURNS int AS BEGIN RETURN (SELECT @c+1) END go CREATE VIEW sandell_vy AS SELECT col1 = dbo.myudf(col1), col2=col2+2, col3=col3 FROM sandell go CREATE TRIGGER sandell_tri ON sandell_vy INSTEAD OF INSERT AS INSERT sandell(col1, col2, col3) SELECT col1-1, col2-2, col3 FROM inserted go INSERT sandell_vy (col1, col2, col3) SELECT 12, 98, 23 go SELECT * FROM sandell_vy go EXEC master..xp_cmdshell 'ECHO 9, 2, 98 > C:\TEMP\bulk.csv', 'no_output' EXEC master..xp_cmdshell 'ECHO 76, 23, 87 >> C:\TEMP\bulk.csv', 'no_output' go BULK INSERT sandell_vy FROM 'C:\temp\bulk.csv' WITH (FIELDTERMINATOR = ',', DATAFILETYPE = 'char', FIRE_TRIGGERS) go DECLARE @bcp

20. Deselecting column in Profiler causes Events to be deselected

I first select all events for Locks, see locks1.jpg. I then deselect event column ClientProcessID, because I don't want that in the trace. Oops, the Lock events that has a ClientProcessID are now deselected, see Locks2.jpg.

And if I then reselect the entire Locks category, ClientProcessID is reselected... (Well, that makes sort of sense, but unselecting a column should not affect selected events.)

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 2

<=-=Aug 31 2006 9:45AM=-=>

I’ve just tried this scenario on our current build of SQL 2005 SP2 and it appears to be fixed. I am going to resolve it as such.

Thanks for reporting this to us.

Regards,
    Maciek Sarnowicz

<=-=Oct 18 2007 10:03AM=-=>

This is fixed in SQL 2005 SP2 and SQL 2008.
    Thank you.

Yong Seok Lee

• Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base