SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. sp_columns returns nothing for table valued function

sp_columns return nothing for a table valued function.

The attached repro script works on SQL Server 2000 but not on SQL Server 2005 with compat set to 80 and 90

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. RU: SQL Server 2005 (Error message when trying to view effective permissions)

When I select login, which is a Windows Group, and press Effective Permissions button in Permissions' page of Server Properties window I receive the error message "Cannot show requested dialog" (see screenshots in attachments).

It's occurs because SSMS sends the following script to server:

EXECUTE AS LOGIN = N'MyMachine\MyWindowsGroup';
    SELECT

permission_name AS [Permission]

FROM fnmypermissions(NULL, N'SERVER')
    ORDER BY permission_name;
    REVERT;

But "Execute as login" statement can not be applied to windows groups! Microsoft must check not only type of login (is it Login or Server role?), but a principal type (for example in sys.server_principals) and disable Effective Permissions…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 4

<=-=Jun 14 2006 6:25AM=-=>

Hi Nikolay,
    Thank you for taking the time to submit this request. We agree that it is a good idea and plan to address this in the Katmai release.
    Thank you,
    Bill Ramos

<=-=Nov 27 2007 4:08PM=-=>

In SQL Server 2008, we have updated Permissions and Securables UI and replaced the effective permission button with a tabbed grid display to enhance the user interaction efficiency.

Thanks,
    Eric Kang, SQL Server Program Manager

3. Instead of Update Trigger on primary table referenced by foreign keys with "Update Cascade"

See Microsoft Technet, Newsgroup for SQL Server 2005 Programming from 4/3/2006 6:30 AM PST under title "Instead-of-Update-Triggers combined with 'Cascade' option: SQL25K?"
    Message was answered by Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, saying "smells like a bug".
    Problem was sent to him with explantion under "Steps to reproduce"; his answer under "Actual Results"; database attached.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 2

<=-=Jun 19 2006 5:01AM=-=>

I submitted this bug description on April 3. Today is June 19. I cannot see any visible reaction on this from the part of Microsoft. Could you please explain. If there is anything I could do in order to advace action on this problem, please let me know.
    Axel Hecker

<=-=Jun 19 2006 5:07AM=-=>

I submitted this bug description on April 3. Today is June 19. I cannot see any visible reaction on this from the part of Microsoft. Could you please explain. If there is anything I could do in order to advace action on this problem, please let me know.
    Axel Hecker

<=-=Dec 20 2007 2:07PM=-=>

Dear Axel,

Sorry for getting back to you so very late. Just in case this still makes a difference to you, we did follow up on the bug and fixed the problem. The fix is available…

4. GRANT CREATE TABLE not sufficient for creating tables

GRANT CREATE TABLE TO <user> not sufficient for that user to create tables!

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 1

<=-=May 8 2006 11:48AM=-=>

by design

<=-=May 13 2006 3:58PM=-=>

To clarify Microsoft somewhat brief response, you also need to grant Peter rights to ALTER the dbo schema:

GRANT ALTER ON SCHEMA::dbo To Peter

<=-=Jul 15 2008 5:45PM=-=>

Issue resolved.

5. Conflicting shortcuts when SQL Server 2000 keyboard scheme is chosen

When you choose "SQL Server 2000" in the keyboard scheme on the options dialog in Management Studio, the CTRL-K shortcut conflicts between three commands. "Display Actual Execution Plan", "Enable Bookmarks" and "Enable All Bookmarks" are all assigned to CTRL-K. Please note that "Enable All Bookmarks" also conflicts with "Select All", which is assigned to CTRL-A.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Apr 7 2006 10:28AM=-=>

Hi SQLDBATx,
    Thank you for your bug report regarding the keyboard shortcuts. There are some conflicts with the keybaord scheme, that I�d like to understand better. When you are in SQL 2000 mode, Ctrl+K should only trigger the command to Include Actual Execution Plan in the Query Result. Likewise, Ctrl+A should only do Select All. When in SQL 2005 mode, Ctrl+K is used in combination with other commands for commenting, changing case, and bookmark operations. Are you saying that Ctrl+K in SQL 2000 mode is getting confused? Please explain the steps you are performing so that we can better understand you issue.
    Thank you.
    Bill Ramos

<=-=Apr 8 2006 2:34PM=-=>

Bill,

Put the keyboard into SQL 2000 mode. Then
    Open the Edit menu, and then the Submenu Bookmarks. Then look at the keyboard shortcuts suggested in that menu.

<=-=Sep 6 2006 1:44AM=-=>

Thank you…

6. DBCC Checkident after restoring replicated database

Production database is transactionally replicated to a secondary database (another server).

Replicated database on secondary server is backed up and restored to the DEV DB server.

When I run DBCC CheckIdent for all the tables after restoring the backup, the command does not seem to recognize that the tables contain rows. So nothing gets reseeded and I get PK errors when trying to insert into these tables because the ID field values start back at 1. The only workaround at this point is to force PK errors by inserting fake rows and then running DBCC Checkident. Once a row is…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Maintenance Plan History view sorts dates incorrectly

When viewing maintenance plan history in SQL Server Management Studio, sorting results by date does not behave as expected. Dates are sorted lexigraphically, instead of date-order.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Reporting Services 2005 crashes with rsExecutionNotFound after a few minutes without using the ASP.NET 2.0 website

This error happens on all pages of an ASP.NET 2.0 website, after a report has been accessed (I'm using StateServer for session state handling) and when the website has been idle for some time.

Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.ReportServerException: L'ex�cution � ent0l045ave23e45pnqa0h35 � est introuvable. (rsExecutionNotFound)

[ReportServerException: L'ex�cution � ent0l045ave23e45pnqa0h35 � est introuvable. (rsExecutionNotFound)]
    Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.ServerReport.GetExecutionInfo() +367
    Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.ServerReport.SetExecutionId(String executionId) +118
    Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.ServerReport..ctor(SerializationInfo info, StreamingContext context) +208

[TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.]
    System.RuntimeMethodHandle._SerializationInvoke(Object target, SignatureStruct& declaringTypeSig, SerializationInfo info, StreamingContext context) +0
    System.RuntimeMethodHandle.SerializationInvoke(Object target, SignatureStruct declaringTypeSig, SerializationInfo info, StreamingContext context) +22
    System.Reflection.RuntimeConstructorInfo.SerializationInvoke(Object target, SerializationInfo info, StreamingContext context) +110
    System.Runtime.Serialization.ObjectManager.CompleteISerializableObject(Object obj, SerializationInfo info,…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Report designer parameters keep getting reset when any other parameter changes

Each time you modify the parameters in a report based on an Analysis Services database, it resets all other parameters to be "multi-value". this can be a pain if you have a large number of parameters and change one of them - it requires you to reset the multi-value setting on each parameter any time ANY parameter changes.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Dataset details disappear in editor

Adding a new dataset without saving changes to existing dataset and then cancelling the new one undoes all unsaved changes to original dataset

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Extra blank line appears in Stored Procedure everytime it is executed and reloaded

After modifying a stored procedure in the management studio I click on execute and it saved. Then, when I close and reopen the same proc my procedure has an extra blank line after the 'go' line. After a few days my procedure has like 1-2 dozen extra lines at the top of the proc!

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. reportserverurl setting on cluster

I installed RS2K5 on cluster, modified web.config and rswebapplication.config according to 'Configuring URL settings and View State Validation' in sql2k5 books online. Web browser seems not happy with the change of rswebapplication.config (refer to following error).

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Apr 14 2006 11:56AM=-=>

This looks like an issue with the documentation. Try removing the ReportServerVirtualDirectory element from the report manager config file and see if the error persists.

<=-=Apr 19 2006 8:23AM=-=>

So you mean we don’t have to edit that config file on clustered nodes?

<=-=Jul 26 2006 8:50AM=-=>

Will fix it in sp2?

<=-=Jan 22 2008 3:04PM=-=>

Hi Runyin, I am getting continuous “Close-the-loop” emails about this bug, which I fixed, resolved, and closed last year. I don’t know why Close-the-loop is generating a report for this bug, but I hope that by sneding you this email it will stop! Hope all is well with you and your fmaily.

13. Report Builder Number Format Somtimes Freezes / Greyed out

Somtimes when you are formatting numbers in Report Builder, the Number Format will be greyed out and you cannot change the number format anymore. You then have to rebuild the report to format the number.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Nov 1 2007 9:56PM=-=>

Jeff, thanks for reporting. We have tried several times to reproduce this but are not seeing this behavior.

<=-=Apr 17 2009 9:52AM=-=>

I have also seen this issue. I can apply number formats to a field with no problem when I create a report, but when I save the report, and re-open it, and try to apply number formatting, the Number tab is missing from the Format dialog box, and the Number option is grayed out on the Format menu.
    The only workaround we’ve come up with is to delete the field and add it again.

Steps to Reproduce: Add two numerical fields to your report, format one as currency (or change the decimal, etc.), and leave the other one alone. Save your report. Reopen it. Try to make the unformatted field display with no decimal places (or as currency.) It can’t be done,…

14. Strings are not trimmed when they flow into a recordset destination

If a recordset is populated, using the Recordset destination, with strings - those strings are padded with whitespace all the way to the full length of the data-flow column

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 4

<=-=May 22 2006 1:30PM=-=>

This was originally found by Alex Levene
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/forums/post.aspx?forumid=148&messageid=281548

<=-=Aug 31 2006 12:55AM=-=>

Why has this been closed? it is a bug.
    What does RESOURCE NOT LOCATED mean?
    Are you not allowed to add comments or something? I’ll just reopen it with another ticket if not!

<=-=Aug 8 2007 9:46AM=-=>

Thanks for your message. This was fixed in Yukon SP2.

15. The correct ContainerStartTime is not accessible in OnPostExecute

Lots of people (including myself) do their own custom logging using eventhandlers. One thing I and many other people want to is track how long a task executed for. To do this you need to be able to access System::ContainerStartTime of the container raising the error. Unfortunately, as soon as you try and access System::ContainerStartTime within the eventhandler you get the instance of that variable scoped to the eventhandler, NOT the one of the container raising the event.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. SQL CLR does not support SMO

Cannot create CLR (assembly) stored procedure that performs some SMO
    operations. When I am trying to register the assembly (after placing my
    library in C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\SDK\Assemblies
    directory)

Will result in following error

Msg 10301, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
    Assembly 'SMOTestLibrary' references assembly
    'microsoft.sqlserver.batchparser, version=9.0.242.0, culture=neutral,
    publickeytoken=89845dcd8080cc91.', which is not present in the current
    database. SQL Server attempted to locate and automatically load the
    referenced assembly from the same location where referring assembly came
    from, but that operation has failed (reason: 2(The system cannot find the
    file specified.)). Please load the referenced assembly into the curent
    database…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 8

<=-=Mar 28 2006 1:48PM=-=>

Hi Siva,

Just a quick update on the status of the issue you contacted us about.
    We have selected your request for consideration in the next version of SQL Server.

Thank you for your support, suggestions, and feedback.

Terrence Nevins
    SQL Server Program Manager

<=-=Feb 24 2010 1:34PM=-=>

This would be a great feature to have on the CLR side. Many times I have encountered issues writing a CLR routine where it would have been very handy to call SMO routines.

Thanks,
    Tim
    SQL Server MVP

<=-=Nov 18 2010 6:01AM=-=>

Is this in scope for Denali? It is a greatly missed feature on our part and would make creating framework based solutions much easier.

17. SQL Server 2005 Diagram Rename

An interesting diagram situation...I have created a diagram in one of my DBs. When I try to rename the diagram from the tree in Management Studio, I receive a "not found" error for sprenamediagram. Chasing things down, I notice that the stored procs for managing diagrams get installed in my DB but not Master. Running Profiler, I see that Management Studio is using Master DB when executing sprenamediagram (hence the error) even though my DB is the default database for the Management Studio connection.

If I manage the diagram (rename in this case) from VS 2005, all works…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 0

<=-=May 11 2006 8:04AM=-=>

Thank you for your defect report regarding the renaming of diagrams. We will address this in a future release of SQL Server.

<=-=Jan 15 2010 8:13AM=-=>

I reproduced this issue, using a SQL2005 DB with Management Studio 2008. When I switched to using Management Studio 2005 (not sure which SP), I was able to rename the diagram.

<=-=Jul 8 2010 6:08AM=-=>

TWIMC

I concur with the seminal post.

My testing shows the same odd behaviour and I guess that it is a bug.

Thank you.

— Mark Kamoski

<=-=Feb 15 2011 5:47AM=-=>

I had the same problem. I discovered that if the name of the database in which the diagram and the rename procedure exist contains a space that I have the error. If I remove the space from the database name, everything works as it seems it should.

<=-=Sep 11 2012 2:15PM=-=>

18. :Quit does not get highlighted as a SQLCMD statement

:Quit does not get highlighted as a SQLCMD statement.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. 0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 0

<=-=Feb 25 2006 1:08AM=-=>

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. The problem was caused by linear regression does not handle parameters appropriately in some special cases. We have fixed this issue for Yukon SP2 and have verified the fix worked appropriately.

20. Maximizing Query Editor results in Pending Checkins window being shown

When the keyboard shortcut, SHIFT+ALT+ENTER, is used to maximize the Query Editor window, the Pending Checkins window shows up. This happens when the app is using the default windows layout and the Pending Checkins window is not visible. {I just installed SQL Server 2005, and have not set up any type of source control integration}

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base