SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server 2017 powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server 2017 brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. SSMS Default Data Source

We are all the time using the SQL Server Import and Export Wizard. However, every time we use this wonderful tool, we have to choose the SAME datasource over and over. Could you make an enhancement to remember the last one used and to have that be the default the next time you go to use it? Thanks!

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Titel

DISCOVER_CSDL_METADATA provides duplicate names and PowerBi Desktop reports an error while Loading Live Connecion OLAP Cube Schema

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Unwanted data deletion while inner query is taking longer time to execute

Hello Team,

While trying to delete the duplicate items using below sample query, we observed that some unwanted data is getting deleted from the table where we are trying to remove duplicates.
    In ideal situation, below query(Step#3) should run in single session and whatever is happening outside this session, should not get impacted because of this delete statement.
    However, if inner query is taking longer time to execute(lets say 5 minutes), whatever data is getting inserted into this table between start and end of the inner query, will also get deleted when outer delete statement executes.

I have the alternate…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 0

<=-=Jul 18 2017 11:25AM=-=>

Hi Prashant,

Based on the scenario you described – you’ll want to look at different isolation levels (non-default isolation levels).

For example, snapshot and serializable isolation levels will prevent dirty reads, nonrepeatable reads and phantom reads.

Best Regards,

Joe Sack, Principal PM, Microsoft

4. Application Role Insert failure after database upgrade to SQL 2016

After restore a 2012 Database (that is using an application role) to a SQL 2016 environment the application role is broken and will not allow Inserts. The user gets an error "The INSERT permission was denied".

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Organize yellow the showplan tooltip in a way that makes sense

Please see the image attached. The showplan tooltip displays information in seemingly arbitrary order. Please order the rows so that they are logically grouped.

For example, actual and estimated values should always be next to each other. Even better would be to have two columns for them.

Also the labels are inconsistent. Sometimes, it says "Actual X" and sometimes just "X" (e.g. "Number of Executions" vs. "Actual execution mode". They all should say "Actual/Estimated" in a consistent way.

This improvement should take very little time to implement so it seems worth it. Right now finding anything there is just really…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Add a feature to get OS-level stack traces from SQL Server to help with low-level query profiling

For advanced query tuning it is sometimes very helpful to watch the actual OS-level stacks of SQL Server threads. I will attach an image of one to show what I mean. From the function names it is possible to tell in what exact operations SQL Server is spending its time. For example, one might see that a lot of time is spent in the expression service.

Right now stacks can only be obtained in a cumbersome way: PerfView or Process Explorer running on the production machine.

It would be very convenient to be able to have SQL Server directly provide…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Shift-Tab should snap to full tab stops in the text editor

Shift-Tab should snap to full tab stops in the text editor. Right now, it does not. If you enter 5 spaces, set tab width to 4 spaces and press Shift-Tab 4 spaces are deleted. This leads to a single stray space and causes misalignment with the rest of the file.

It's not very useful to have a command to delete 4 spaces. It would be better to always snap to full tabs. Here, just 1 space should be deleted resulting in 4 spaces left.

Start with: =====
    Current behavior: =
    Expected: ====

Visual Studio 2017 does it correctly so maybe…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Visual Studio 2015 crash when editing Name of ADO.NET Source component (SSIS)

When i try to changa name of ADO NET Source component in my Data Flow diagram. And then press CTRL+S to save this changes. Visual Studio crash. I cant find any detail about the problem except this:
    Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: devenv.exe
    Application Version: 14.0.25420.1
    Application Timestamp: 57685d85
    Fault Module Name: DTS.dll
    Fault Module Version: 2015.130.4001.0
    Fault Module Timestamp: 5813fa15
    Exception Code: c0000005
    Exception Offset: 0007c9f6
    OS Version: 6.3.9600.2.0.0.272.7
    Locale ID: 1051
    Additional Information 1: 5861
    Additional Information 2: 5861822e1919d7c014bbb064c64908b2
    Additional Information 3: 1318
    Additional Information 4: 13181ae637ac2592fac0ca2dd662cdcc

Read our privacy statement online:
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=280262

If the…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 2

<=-=Oct 5 2017 7:19AM=-=>

We are having the same issue with SSDT 17.2 Build number: 14.0.61707.300. As soon as we open a package in our project, devenv crahshes with following details:
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: devenv.exe
    Application Version: 14.0.25420.1
    Application Timestamp: 57685d85
    Fault Module Name: ACEWSTR.DLL
    Fault Module Version: 16.0.4266.1001
    Fault Module Timestamp: 55ba1594
    Exception Code: c0000005
    Exception Offset: 0000ee37
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Information 1: 0a9e
    Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
    Additional Information 3: 0a9e
    Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

This only occurs with SSIS projects using ADO.Net connectors.

9. OVER CLAUSE() with identical PARTITION BY and ORDER BY field lists

I am using ROW_NUMBER() to create numbered rows within a CTE, and using the main select to choose a row to report. I have 3 records written for each CodeKey value, each with a different variable containing a value (I used 'A', 'B' and 'C' containing the fieldname concatenated with the CodeKey value). When I select the ROW_NUMBER result, I get the summarization of all records within the CodeKey group, rather than the 1 field value associated with that row.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Back Up and Restore options missing from Tasks menu in SSMS

Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio version 14.0.17119.0 (17.1)

When I create a database containing only numbers and periods in the name, e.g.: "5.0.17195.1" the Back Up and Restore options do not appear in the Tasks menu (right-click database > Tasks).

Background: We have an automated process that deploys databases in our quality environment based on build numbers. Anecdotally, this was not a problem in previous versions of SSMS (2012, 2014). We have since updated the process to use underscores instead of periods, but this still feels like a UI bug since nothing prevents us from creating a database with periods…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. In-line comments are not working in SSDT 17.x

Using inline comments ("--") is not working in SSDT 17.0 or 17.1 for measures in tabular models. Adding "--" before any line of code is commenting out all following code despite the presence of line breaks . Block commenting still works.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Inconsistent results using OUTER APPLY, GROUP BY until ordering is forced via OPTION (FORCE ORDER)

Please see attached for the problem query.

The basic gist is a subquery produces rows per employee, where each employee has an AccountCode and a short term incentive payment amount (STIP) - these values are resolved via OUTER APPLY queries on the original Employees table.

The requirement is now to show the total payment per account - so a simple GROUP BY over that result set with a SUM in the SELECT should be enough.

When I run the query over the entire result set vs filtering to 1 specific account code, I get the same number of rows for…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Directional relationship Error in SSAS Tabular reports as Memory Error or Unhandled Exception

We are using the on Premise SSRS Report Server. We are connecting to a SQL2016 Tabular model (its is a very simple model we are using for training) Date Table, Sales table, Suppliers Table. The links are Dates M-1 Sales M-1 Supplier.

When building some simple charts in PowerBI Desktop everything seems fine. You can build a chart showing Sales By Month for 2016 and add some calc measures so you get YTD values

But if you then build a chart showing total sales and try and use a field from Suppliers as a category you get a broken visual…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Can't attach anything

Despite this Microsoft Connect form saying attachment was successfully uploaded, the attachment never appears, even weeks later.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. ODBC Driver 13.1 for SQL Server Inconsistent Metadata

I'm submitting this as a bug, I think, related to the ODBC Driver 13.1 for SQL Server, but it could be related to the Database Engine; to that end, I'm putting this into the "SQL Engine" category.

Four-part names when using a linked server from SQL Server 2016 to SQL Server 2016 using the MSDASQL provider with the "ODBC Driver 13(.1) for SQL Server" driver sometimes (inconsistently) generates an error: 'The OLE DB provider "MSDQSQL" for linked server "LinkedServerName" supplied inconsistent metadata for a column'.

The same four-part name query works using the deprecated SQL Server 2012 Native Client and…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 0

<=-=Jul 26 2017 7:44AM=-=>

I’m not sure how, but this was created under “ConnectAnonymousUser” after I clicked “Submit”.

<=-=Jul 26 2017 7:49AM=-=>

I’m not sure how, but this was created under “ConnectAnonymousUser” after I clicked “Submit”.

<=-=Jul 26 2017 8:00AM=-=>

<=-=Oct 6 2017 2:38PM=-=>

Thanks for reaching out. The issue you are seeing is within the MSDQSQL OLEDBODBC bridge driver. Back in 2011 we announced SQL Server 2012 Native Client deprecation. However, we later announced that didn�t apply to SQL Server 2012 Native Client driver for linked server scenarios (among other things). So we recommend you keep using linked server in your scenario. You can read the details of the announcement here: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/sqlnativeclient/2017/08/15/ole-db-supportability-guidelines/

We’ve also announced a new OLEDB Driver that will be shipping in the near future. You can find the…

16. Restoring a database giving a false error

When i'm restoring a SQL 2016 database on a different SQL 2016 instance through the GUI, the restore goes without errors. But on completion, the next error occurs:

Restore of database 'name prohibited' failed. (Microsoft.SqlSever.Management. RelationalEngineTasks)

Additional information:
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlError: Cannot resolve the collation conflict betweel "SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS"and "Latin1_General_CI_AS" in the equal to operation (Microsoft.SqlServer.SmoExtended).

The database is online, but in single user mode.

We did get the database to work correctly by detaching and re-attaching the database.

We're working on VMware virtualization with SSD.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. SMO Restore Timeout

The default timeout - 10 minutes - cannot be changed. Setting another value, like 0, for the ConnectionContext.StatementTimeout property has no impact.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. SSMS 17.1 Drag and drop to open .sql files on two monitors often opens the file on the wrong monitor

Drag and drop to open .sql files on two monitors works inconsistently when having one set of tabs in the main application, and one set of tabs on the other monitor. Dragging an .sql file to one set of tabs often causes it to be opened in the other set. This seems to be largely dependent on the last place a file was previously opened.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Trigger When Sql Data Sync Group Changes

Please add the ability to create a trigger in an SQL Data Sync Group so that when there is a change in the rows, I can send a push message via Notification Hubs.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Make GO a first class language keyword

GO is implemented inconsistently by various tools and so it isn't possible to just take a .sql script and run it via any api (such as the .net sql client) first you need to parse it for GO and then split it into batches.

Some tools also support GO xx to execute the script xx number of times.

The GO keyword is treated as a keyword which helps lead to confusion.

- Detail

Currently clients can send either RPC or SQLBatch requests to SQL Server - if the client pre-parses the query it can split the text into multiple requests…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Setup + Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base