SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server 2017 powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server 2017 brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Maintenace plan integrity checks fail with "Alter Failed for server xxx"

My maintenance plan integrity check task was failing with "Alter failed for server XXX".

After tracing i found the maintenance plan executes sp_configure 'USER OPTIONS',xxxx followed by RECONFIGURE.
    The reconfigure statement then generates an error causing the plan to fail. This was because the server configuration option "Allow Updates" was set to 1. Changed the setting back to 0 and the reconfigure statement started to work again!

BOL states the "allow updates" setting has no effect which is clearly not true as it causes this bug.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 5

<=-=Feb 3 2006 6:52PM=-=>

Hello,

The “allow updates” option does not have its intended effect in SQL2005, i.e. you cannot update the system tables directly even when this option is ON.

However, you will still get the error (5808) when RECONFIGURE is called after turning on this option. This is the same behavior as SQL2000. This option was meant to take effect with
    RECONFIGURE WITH OVERRIDE only. The same error behavior as SQL2000 has been preserved in SQL2005 although turning on the option does not have any effect on the ability to update system tables (which is
    always disallowed in SQL2005).

It is recommended that you not use this option anymore and remove it from your scripts.

I’m forwarding your question regarding the Maintenance Plans to get it answered by the appropriate people.

Thank you for your feedback.

Sameer Verkhedkar
    [MSFT]

<=-=Feb 6 2006 5:40PM=-=>

Thank…

2. Removed Users are not actually removed in the Schema Properties dialog box

A user removing from the Schema Properties dialog box is not really removed after clicking Ok

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 1

<=-=Nov 4 2005 7:56AM=-=>

Hi Michael,
    Thank you for your detailed bug report. We were able to reproduce the problem and we will address it in a future release.
    Bill Ramos

<=-=Mar 31 2006 7:56AM=-=>

Quick update. We are placing this bug report under consideration for SP2.

<=-=May 30 2006 2:04PM=-=>

Hi Michael,
    Thank you for your feedback. The remove user functionality is more so as to remove a user from the list only when all the persmissions to the user have been revoked. If any permissions to the user are still granted then the remove does not work. There is a distinction between Remove users & Revoke permissions on this dialog. Let us know if this does not resolve your issue.
    Thanks
    Ramesh

<=-=Jun 3 2006 2:25PM=-=>

No, that does not fly.

The function of the dialog must be one of:
    1) Pressing Remove revokes all permissions…

3. The ORIGINAL_LOGIN function is not presented in the "System Functions (Transact-SQL)" topic

The ORIGINALLOGIN() function is not presented in the topic "System Functions (Transact-SQL)", although similar functions (for example SYSTEMUSER) are presented in this topic. This is probably caused by the fact that ORIGINAL_LOGIN() is a new function defined in SQL Server 2005 (it wasn't present in the previous versions of SQL Server).

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Exception - Error Source: Microsoft.VisualStudio.DataTools

The following is observed in the SQLServer 2005 Management Studio Visual
    Editor:

Open table (Right Click option on a table) fails when I try it on a table
    with lots of columns in it > 820 columns! Currently the table has no rows
    (empty table). The same table opens fine with sql 2000 enterprise manager.
    This table has been migrated/imported from sql 2000 without any errors! Other
    imported tables with less number of columns can be opened in the visual
    editor!

Wondering is there a hidden limit in terms of number of columns with
    SQLserver 2005 Management Studio (Grid) Visual…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Mar 25 2006 2:12PM=-=>

Here is a script to reproduce the problem. Run this, and then try to open the table “manycolumns”.

declare sql nvarchar(MAX), @i int select @sql = 'CREATE TABLE manycolumns (x int NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY' select @i = 1 WHILE @i < 1000 BEGIN SELECT @sql = @sql + ', a' + ltrim(str(i)) + ’ int NOT NULL
    SELECT i = @i + 1 END SELECT @sql= @sql + ')' EXEC(sql)

(I ran this on SP1 CTP.)

<=-=Mar 28 2006 4:36PM=-=>

Quick update. We are placing this bug report under consideration for SP2.

<=-=Aug 3 2006 11:12AM=-=>

Hi Kannan,
    Thank you for bug report. The Visual Studio team has fixed this for their next release. We will do the same for our Katmai release. In the meantime, you will need to create a view that contains less columns in the…

5. Object reference not set to an instance of an object. (SQLEditors) when modifying table

Trying to modify a table in SQL Server Management Studio throws an exception.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Apr 20 2006 1:40PM=-=>

Hi Chris,
    Thank you for your feedback. We will investigate this for addressing in a future service pack release of SQL Server.
    Thanks,
    Ramesh Singh

<=-=Aug 27 2007 2:16PM=-=>

Hello Chris,

The table editor functionality was checked for errors and this was found to be working fine in SQL Server 2008. Please check the coming CTP release of SQL Server.

Regards,
    MS SQL Server Team

<=-=Feb 9 2009 2:34PM=-=>

I have seen this too, but only on 64 bit installations. I’m curious if it’s been fixed in sp3.

6. Cannot run a SSIS Package which is under Source Control but not checked out

It's not possible to run a package which is under source control without checking it out.

With multiple developers working on these scripts having to check them out to run them is very disruptive as they are locked regularly.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 3

<=-=Jun 2 2006 2:52PM=-=>

Thanks, we are aware of this problem. As workaround, you may check out the modified file before running it, or start it using Debug > Start Debugging menu, which prompts to check out the file.

We are considering fixing the problem for the next service pack.

<=-=Jul 29 2011 3:41AM=-=>

The Debug >Start Debugging workaround fails if other user has the package checked out with ‘0×80030005 Acces denied message’.

If other user has the file checked out you can remove the writeonly attribute of the .dtsx file and try to run it.

7. RU: SQL Server 2005 (Russian words usage mistmatched.)

RUS: ?????????????? ??????? ????.
    1. "?????? ??????????????:" ?? ?????????? ? "??????", "? ???????? ?????????????????", "???????".
    2. "?????????" ?? ?????????? ? "??????????"
    ENG: Russian words usage mistmatched.
    1. "?????? ??????????????:" mistmatched with "??????", "? ???????? ?????????????????", "???????".
    2. "?????????" mistmatched with "??????????"

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. RU: SQL Server 2005 (russian text truncated in some reports from Summary page in SSMS)

RUS: ?????????? ????? ? ??????? SSMS ?? ??????? "??????".
    ENG: russian text truncated in some reports from Summary page in SSMS

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. SQL FullText service throws errors while stopping service

While stopping SQL Server FullText service on the local machine, or shutting down the server at the local machine, I receive two error pop-ups with the same message:

msftesql.exe - Application Error

The instruction at "0x4999ce21" referenced memory at "0x0073a4c8." The memory could not be "read." Click OK to terminate the program.

The service continues to shut down, or the server continues to shutdown.

However, when I remote into the same machine and reproduce steps, I do not get any errors.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jun 22 2006 11:00AM=-=>

I was able to recreate the same problem on another machine.

<=-=Jul 14 2006 6:37AM=-=>

I can’t believe this was marked as “Resolved” with a resolution of “Won’t fix”!!! If there’s a problem, fix it! Or, at least enter some comments explaining why it won’t be fixed!

<=-=Jul 14 2006 8:06AM=-=>

Could I get a second opinion?
    I’m kind of confused why the resolution is “won’t fix?”

My company has a LAN/OS team responsible for rebooting machines. They will page us as a possible error every time this message appears.

<=-=Oct 9 2006 5:16PM=-=>

(not sure if you have seen this feedback as there have been changes to the system)
    Dear Customer,
    Could you repro the problem on SP1 build? We have fixed an AV in SP1 during msftesql.exe shutdown. Send us a dump when it happens. The dump file should be under…

10. SQL Server Profiler 2005, Script Trace Definition Feature and Milliseconds Filter

When creating a script trace definition for SQL Server 2000, from SQL Server 2005 Profiler, the filter for the duration event is expresed in the value (ms or microsecs) of the instance, not in the precission of the target source.

From SQL2000 instance, script to SQL2005: duration in milliseconds. Wrong
    From SQL2000 instance, script to SQL2000: duration in milliseconds. OK
    From SQL2005 instance, script to SQL2000: duration in microseconds. Wrong
    From SQL2005 instance, script to SQL2005: duration in microseconds. OK

Thank you,
    Eladio Rinc�n.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Cannot upgrade if account contains @ symbol

Cannot upgrade sql server 2000 database to sql server 2005 if the startup account is a domain account with an @ symbol in it...installer returns error code 1069

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 0

<=-=Oct 24 2006 11:35AM=-=>

Thank you for your feedback on Microsoft SQL Server 2005. I wanted to update you on where we are at on this issue. We are tracking this issue for fixing in the next major release of Microsoft SQL Server. We are doing work on setup and configuration of the product that will address this and other simlar issues. Thanks for bringing this particular issue to our attention.

Dan Bien
    Principal Program Manager
    Microsoft SQL Server Service Lifecyle Platform Team

<=-=Oct 12 2007 9:28PM=-=>

Thank you for your feedback on Microsoft SQL Server 2005. I wanted to update you on where we are at on this issue. We are tracking this issue for fixing in the next major release of Microsoft SQL Server. We are doing work on setup and configuration of the product that will address this and other simlar issues. Thanks for bringing…

12. sqlcesa30.dll is not 64-bit compatible, there needs to be a version of this that will run on IIS 64bit

sqlcesa30.dll is not 64bit compatible and I spent days trying to figure out why I got error "%1 is not a valid Win32 application." I finally got a response on the newsgroups and we figured out that I had to switch my IIS to run in 32bit mode no 64bit. There really needs to be a 64bit compatible version of this DLL as most people are slowly switching to 64bit.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Feb 1 2006 12:52PM=-=>

SQL Mobile is not supported for 64 bit scenario. We are considering this for the future

<=-=Feb 9 2006 6:04PM=-=>

will consider this for next version

<=-=Sep 15 2008 6:44AM=-=>

Thanks for logging the bug. We have taken the feature for the latest release available for SQL Server Compact and the 64-bit release for SQL Server Compact 3.5 Service Pack 1 Server Tools is available for download at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=FA751DB3-7685-471B-AC31-F1B150422462&displaylang=en. The release notes for SQL Server Compact 3.5 Service Pack 1 release are at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;%5bLN%5d;955965

Regards

Ambrish

<=-=Jan 8 2009 6:05AM=-=>

Hi, i had the same problem.
    My DB server is 64 bit, OS is windows Server Sp2 64 bit, SQL Server 2005 SP3 64 bit. I’, trying to install a merge replication system.
    I installed “Microsoft SQL Server Compact 3.5 Service Pack 1 Server Tools 64 bit” as suggested by Microsoft.
    BUT,…

13. SQL Server Agent - Scheduling SQL Server Integration Service Package Fails

I am referring to bug FDBK38067 which I cannot reopen or post a comment to because of technical problems.

I experience the same problems when I try to schedule my package.

The situation is quite similar to the one above.

The package works
    when executing with dtexec but not when being scheduled.

For feedback or further questions mailto:fw@team4.de

Thank you

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Unable to view properties of SQL 2000 full-text catalogs from SQL Management Studio

Attempting to view the "Tables/Views" page of a full-text catalog on a SQL Server 2000 database from SQL Server 2005 Management Studio results in an error message.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jan 13 2006 11:40AM=-=>

Thank you for your feedback. We will look into this issue for a future release.
    Anand

<=-=Feb 21 2007 3:50AM=-=>

This bug seems to have been fixed in SP2.

<=-=Jul 14 2008 4:00PM=-=>

according to the comments above, i downloaded the SP2. But still i am not able to find the views in Tables/Views page of Catalog. Why it’s not. Is it really worked for you Richard?

15. multiple same columnames in dsv

A table in the data source view shows same columns multiple. When I do a dsv refresh the message "Item has already been added..." appears. When I want to substitute the table with a named query, the query is fine but when pressing ok the same error appears.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Apr 20 2006 2:44PM=-=>

Thank you for submitting this problem. Can you please send us a backup of your AS2000 database with meta-data only ? (you can copy paste your database with Analysis Manager and send us the backup of the copy, this will ensure we only get the meta-data). So we can debug the migration wizard and resolve the problem. You can send the .cab file by e-mail to adriandu@microsoft.com. Thank you.

<=-=Apr 21 2006 6:07AM=-=>

.CAB and t-sql for creating the relational database send.

Problem occurs still with SP1

<=-=Apr 26 2006 12:20PM=-=>

Thank you for reporting the problem, we fixed it for SP2.

16. Incorrect statement about partitioned views

ms-help://MS.SQLCC.v9/MS.SQLSVR.v9.en/udb9/html/54ce53c0-844e-4965-9537-db50df448e7b.htm

says: "For a partitioned view that is local to one server, the view is not updatable when a trigger or cascading update or delete is defined on one or more member tables."

This incorrect, see repro.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 0

<=-=Aug 3 2005 11:55AM=-=>

I’ve removed the statement from the topic. Thanks for your feedback.

<=-=Oct 16 2007 10:52AM=-=>

Hello Erland,
    The statement, “For a partitioned view that is local to one server, the view is not updatable when a trigger or cascading update or delete is defined on one or more member tables.” has been removed from the Modifying Data in Partitioned Views topics in both the Yukon and Katmai BOL, so this bug has been closed.

Thank you again for your feedback.
    Laurel

17. When scripting a database, an alias type may be scripted out of order

When scripting a database, an alias data type may be scripted out of order, because the scripter fails to consider the case that the type may be used to declare a variable in a trigger or stored procedure.

It is true that SQL Server does not store any such dependencies (at least as far as I know). Nevertheless, this is an error that the scripter should avoid to make: simply create all user-defined types (alias data types and CLR types alike) before creating any tables or SQL modules. (But after creating rules and defaults.)

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 2

<=-=Mar 6 2006 1:32PM=-=>

Hi Erland,
    Thank you for your feedback. We will review this for SP2.
    Thanks
    Ramesh Singh

<=-=Sep 6 2006 1:41AM=-=>

Thank you for providing feedback. This bug will be addressed in Future Service Pack.

<=-=Sep 7 2006 12:22PM=-=>

Future service pack = > SP2?

<=-=Feb 27 2009 9:24AM=-=>

Hmm… Average rating 4.4 after 2 ratings. What two integers between 1 and 5 average out to 4.4?

18. Replace of char(0) does not work in DB with Windows collation

When trying a replace a NUL character with replace(), this works is the value has an SQL collation, but not a Windows collation.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 15

<=-=Feb 8 2006 4:28PM=-=>

This is due to the fact that 0×0000 is an undefined character in Windows collations. All undefined characters are ignored during comparison, sort, and pattern matching. So searing for ‘a’ + char(0) is really searching for �a�, and searching for char(0) is equivalent to empty string.

The way to handle undefined character is a bit confusing, but this is the way that Windows defined to sort them, and SQL Server conforms with the general Windows API.

In SQL collation, there is no notion of undefined character. Each code point is assigned a weight, that’s why we don’t see a problem there.

Regards,
    Jun

<=-=Feb 11 2006 3:46PM=-=>

So where is this documented?

This bug reported was spawned by a question on a newsgroup where some one was trying to do this. That is, this is not only an academical question.

It may be…

19. Error Processing Cube: The 'root' element at line , column . . .

Error when trying to build cube with linked dimensions:

The 'root' element at line , column (namespace 'urn:schemas-microsoft-com:xml-analysis:empty') cannot appear under Envelope/Body/ExecuteResponse/return because the parent already contains a child element, ''.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Feb 23 2006 1:24PM=-=>

Hi Michael:

Thank you for reporting this issue. Unfortunately, I’m unable to reproduce the problem in our environment. I’d like to check with you if it is possible for you to send me your project file and relational data file so I can try to reproduce the issue in-house?

Best regards,

Wei Fan
    weifan@microsoft.com

<=-=Mar 3 2006 7:08PM=-=>

Hi, Michael, we have been able to reproduce the issue. We will keep you updated on our investigation progress.

<=-=Mar 6 2006 6:20PM=-=>

Fug is fixed. Customer was provided with the workaround as a temporary solution while bug is being fixed. Our internal test suite is updated to include customer scenario.

20. Changes to underlying data is not available when the refresh button is clicked in report designer

If a stored procedure or cube changes while you're in the report designer, the changes will not be available if you hit the "refresh" button in the data designer. You must close and re-open the report to see the new changes in the underlying data.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 2

<=-=Apr 10 2006 1:56PM=-=>

Thank you for your feedback.
    We was unable to reproduce this issue. Pressing Refresh Fields button immediately updates list of fields in Datasets window.

<=-=Nov 1 2007 9:51PM=-=>

Closing issue as this seems to be working as designed.

• Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base