SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server 2017 powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server 2017 brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. sqlcesa30.dll is not 64-bit compatible, there needs to be a version of this that will run on IIS 64bit

sqlcesa30.dll is not 64bit compatible and I spent days trying to figure out why I got error "%1 is not a valid Win32 application." I finally got a response on the newsgroups and we figured out that I had to switch my IIS to run in 32bit mode no 64bit. There really needs to be a 64bit compatible version of this DLL as most people are slowly switching to 64bit.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 3

<=-=Feb 1 2006 12:52PM=-=>

SQL Mobile is not supported for 64 bit scenario. We are considering this for the future

<=-=Feb 9 2006 6:04PM=-=>

will consider this for next version

<=-=Sep 15 2008 6:44AM=-=>

Thanks for logging the bug. We have taken the feature for the latest release available for SQL Server Compact and the 64-bit release for SQL Server Compact 3.5 Service Pack 1 Server Tools is available for download at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=FA751DB3-7685-471B-AC31-F1B150422462&displaylang=en. The release notes for SQL Server Compact 3.5 Service Pack 1 release are at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;%5bLN%5d;955965

Regards

Ambrish

<=-=Jan 8 2009 6:05AM=-=>

Hi, i had the same problem.
    My DB server is 64 bit, OS is windows Server Sp2 64 bit, SQL Server 2005 SP3 64 bit. I’, trying to install a merge replication system.
    I installed “Microsoft SQL Server Compact 3.5 Service Pack 1 Server Tools 64 bit” as suggested by Microsoft.
    BUT,…

2. SQL Server Agent - Scheduling SQL Server Integration Service Package Fails

I am referring to bug FDBK38067 which I cannot reopen or post a comment to because of technical problems.

I experience the same problems when I try to schedule my package.

The situation is quite similar to the one above.

The package works
    when executing with dtexec but not when being scheduled.

For feedback or further questions mailto:fw@team4.de

Thank you

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Unable to view properties of SQL 2000 full-text catalogs from SQL Management Studio

Attempting to view the "Tables/Views" page of a full-text catalog on a SQL Server 2000 database from SQL Server 2005 Management Studio results in an error message.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 3

<=-=Jan 13 2006 11:40AM=-=>

Thank you for your feedback. We will look into this issue for a future release.
    Anand

<=-=Feb 21 2007 3:50AM=-=>

This bug seems to have been fixed in SP2.

<=-=Jul 14 2008 4:00PM=-=>

according to the comments above, i downloaded the SP2. But still i am not able to find the views in Tables/Views page of Catalog. Why it’s not. Is it really worked for you Richard?

4. multiple same columnames in dsv

A table in the data source view shows same columns multiple. When I do a dsv refresh the message "Item has already been added..." appears. When I want to substitute the table with a named query, the query is fine but when pressing ok the same error appears.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 1

<=-=Apr 20 2006 2:44PM=-=>

Thank you for submitting this problem. Can you please send us a backup of your AS2000 database with meta-data only ? (you can copy paste your database with Analysis Manager and send us the backup of the copy, this will ensure we only get the meta-data). So we can debug the migration wizard and resolve the problem. You can send the .cab file by e-mail to adriandu@microsoft.com. Thank you.

<=-=Apr 21 2006 6:07AM=-=>

.CAB and t-sql for creating the relational database send.

Problem occurs still with SP1

<=-=Apr 26 2006 12:20PM=-=>

Thank you for reporting the problem, we fixed it for SP2.

5. Incorrect statement about partitioned views

ms-help://MS.SQLCC.v9/MS.SQLSVR.v9.en/udb9/html/54ce53c0-844e-4965-9537-db50df448e7b.htm

says: "For a partitioned view that is local to one server, the view is not updatable when a trigger or cascading update or delete is defined on one or more member tables."

This incorrect, see repro.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 0

<=-=Aug 3 2005 11:55AM=-=>

I’ve removed the statement from the topic. Thanks for your feedback.

<=-=Oct 16 2007 10:52AM=-=>

Hello Erland,
    The statement, “For a partitioned view that is local to one server, the view is not updatable when a trigger or cascading update or delete is defined on one or more member tables.” has been removed from the Modifying Data in Partitioned Views topics in both the Yukon and Katmai BOL, so this bug has been closed.

Thank you again for your feedback.
    Laurel

6. When scripting a database, an alias type may be scripted out of order

When scripting a database, an alias data type may be scripted out of order, because the scripter fails to consider the case that the type may be used to declare a variable in a trigger or stored procedure.

It is true that SQL Server does not store any such dependencies (at least as far as I know). Nevertheless, this is an error that the scripter should avoid to make: simply create all user-defined types (alias data types and CLR types alike) before creating any tables or SQL modules. (But after creating rules and defaults.)

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 2

<=-=Mar 6 2006 1:32PM=-=>

Hi Erland,
    Thank you for your feedback. We will review this for SP2.
    Thanks
    Ramesh Singh

<=-=Sep 6 2006 1:41AM=-=>

Thank you for providing feedback. This bug will be addressed in Future Service Pack.

<=-=Sep 7 2006 12:22PM=-=>

Future service pack = > SP2?

<=-=Feb 27 2009 9:24AM=-=>

Hmm… Average rating 4.4 after 2 ratings. What two integers between 1 and 5 average out to 4.4?

7. Replace of char(0) does not work in DB with Windows collation

When trying a replace a NUL character with replace(), this works is the value has an SQL collation, but not a Windows collation.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 15

<=-=Feb 8 2006 4:28PM=-=>

This is due to the fact that 0×0000 is an undefined character in Windows collations. All undefined characters are ignored during comparison, sort, and pattern matching. So searing for ‘a’ + char(0) is really searching for �a�, and searching for char(0) is equivalent to empty string.

The way to handle undefined character is a bit confusing, but this is the way that Windows defined to sort them, and SQL Server conforms with the general Windows API.

In SQL collation, there is no notion of undefined character. Each code point is assigned a weight, that’s why we don’t see a problem there.

Regards,
    Jun

<=-=Feb 11 2006 3:46PM=-=>

So where is this documented?

This bug reported was spawned by a question on a newsgroup where some one was trying to do this. That is, this is not only an academical question.

It may be…

8. Error Processing Cube: The 'root' element at line , column . . .

Error when trying to build cube with linked dimensions:

The 'root' element at line , column (namespace 'urn:schemas-microsoft-com:xml-analysis:empty') cannot appear under Envelope/Body/ExecuteResponse/return because the parent already contains a child element, ''.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Feb 23 2006 1:24PM=-=>

Hi Michael:

Thank you for reporting this issue. Unfortunately, I’m unable to reproduce the problem in our environment. I’d like to check with you if it is possible for you to send me your project file and relational data file so I can try to reproduce the issue in-house?

Best regards,

Wei Fan
    weifan@microsoft.com

<=-=Mar 3 2006 7:08PM=-=>

Hi, Michael, we have been able to reproduce the issue. We will keep you updated on our investigation progress.

<=-=Mar 6 2006 6:20PM=-=>

Fug is fixed. Customer was provided with the workaround as a temporary solution while bug is being fixed. Our internal test suite is updated to include customer scenario.

9. Changes to underlying data is not available when the refresh button is clicked in report designer

If a stored procedure or cube changes while you're in the report designer, the changes will not be available if you hit the "refresh" button in the data designer. You must close and re-open the report to see the new changes in the underlying data.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Apr 10 2006 1:56PM=-=>

Thank you for your feedback.
    We was unable to reproduce this issue. Pressing Refresh Fields button immediately updates list of fields in Datasets window.

<=-=Nov 1 2007 9:51PM=-=>

Closing issue as this seems to be working as designed.

10. Typo in SSIS Log, "OnError" event

SSIS > Logging >Details task.
    On ErrorEvent reads "Used to define actions to perofrm..". Should be "perform"

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 0

<=-=Jun 5 2006 2:04PM=-=>

I fixed the spelling of “perform” in the 3 locations in the Microsoft.SqlServer.Dts.Runtime.EventInfo class reference topic where it is misspelled. Thank you, -Doug

<=-=Oct 15 2007 4:37PM=-=>

I fixed this issue in June of 2006. It appears that you did not receive an acknowledgment at that time. Thank you for reporting this typo. Best regards,

-Doug

11. MARS transaction error when storing images > 409600 bytes

If you attempt to store an image > 409600 bytes in size when MARS is enabled you will get an error that a transation is still active. Attached is a simple C++ program that shows that storing 409600 bytes works, but storing 409601 bytes failes.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=May 22 2006 2:12PM=-=>

We will fix this bug in the next release of SQL Server but not in SQL Server 2005. This is not a regression from SQL Server 2000.

WIth SQL Server 2005 the workaround is to use varbinary(max) rather than image as this type behaves more uniformly than image and is not subject to this bug, or to avoid using MARS.

<=-=Nov 15 2007 1:31PM=-=>

While fixing this problem in SQL Server 2008 we reconsidered the case for fixing it in SQL Server 2005 too and this problem has been fixed in SQL Server 2005 SP2.

12. Close Tab Icon is not being displayed

The icon for closing tabs is missing. The button is there, but no icon

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Sep 15 2005 7:40AM=-=>

Hi David,
    We experianced this problem after upgrading on Windows XP but we can’;t reproduce the problem any more. Can you explain what process you used to install and what version you have installed.
    Thank you,
    Bill Ramos

<=-=Sep 19 2005 6:23AM=-=>

Hi Bill,
    I previously had the July CTP installed on my PC. I uninstalled the July CTP, then installed the September CTP. I installed the Server, the Analysis Server, Reporting Services, and the Managment Tools.

<=-=Sep 19 2005 7:32AM=-=>

Hi David,
    Thanks for the additional information. We will consider fixing this in a futre release.If you run setup again and perform a repair operation – does the problem go away?
    Bill Ramos

13. sysmail_log system table entry points to an incorrect page

On the Index tab, type sysmail_log, and then click on sysmail_log system table in the displayed list. This will bring up a page titled "Troubleshooting Database Mail: Mail queued, no entries in sysmail_event_log or Windows Application Event Log"

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Unclear deprecation of column alias in SELECT list

ms-help://MS.SQLCC.v9/MS.SQLSVR.v9.en/instsql9/html/c10eeaa5-3d3c-49b4-a4bd-5dc4fb190142.htm

Towards the very end:
    Transact-SQL, A string used as a column alias for an expression in a SELECT list:

It isn't clear what exactly is deprecated. SQL Server supports two non-ANSI constructs for column alias:

1. Delimit the column alias within single-quotes. ANSI dictates that if you want to delimit, use double-quotes. And, of course, SQL Server supports square brackets as well.

2. The syntax:
    column_alias = expression
    ANSI SQL supports below two constructs:
    expression AS column_alias
    expression column_alias (this might have been removed from a later ANSI SQL standard)

So, what exactly is deprecated according to BOL? Above…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Nov 4 2005 3:08PM=-=>

The only syntax we are deprecating is ‘column_alias’ = expression. All other syntaxes are still valid:

column_alias = expression
    expression [as] column_alias
    expression [as] “column_alias”
    expression [as] [column_alias]
    expression [as] ‘column_alias’

I have updated the documentation. Thank you for your feedback.

15. SSIS ODBC .NET provider does not work with Pervasive ODBC driver

When creating a read-only odbc link from Pervasive without security the .NET provider does not work at run time from within SSIS. Curiously it seems to be able to run the query at design time, because it will populate the column mappings. Connecting through another ODBC provider (such as the one in Excel 2007) works fine. EDIT: Running the SSIS package in 32bit mode fixes this problem.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 1 =Oct 12 2006 2:05PM= [Bulk edit] Thanks for reporting this issue, unfortunately we are not able to implement your suggestions (or fixes) in the Yukon timeframe; however we have considered this feedback useful enough that we have either: 1) Closed this bug as a duplicate of a (similar) parent tracking item in the next verison of our product, Katmai or 2) Moved this bug into Katmai as a parent tracking-item and grouped other similar bugs underneath it. Either way, we are listening to your ideas and considering them for the next version. In some circumstances we have actually made a few changes in SP2 to address some of these issues too. =Oct 12 2006 2:09PM= Sorry – this bug was actually moved to SP3, not Katmai =Apr 2 2007 1:28PM= Hello Peter. We have recently made available a whitepaper describing connectivity in SSIS. From looking at this…

16. SSIS: Script task breakpoints have no effect if the script task is in an eventhandler

Script task breakpoints have no effect if the script task is in an eventhandler

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 3 =Oct 12 2006 2:05PM= [Bulk edit] Thanks for reporting this issue, unfortunately we are not able to implement your suggestions (or fixes) in the Yukon timeframe; however we have considered this feedback useful enough that we have either: 1) Closed this bug as a duplicate of a (similar) parent tracking item in the next verison of our product, Katmai or 2) Moved this bug into Katmai as a parent tracking-item and grouped other similar bugs underneath it. Either way, we are listening to your ideas and considering them for the next version. In some circumstances we have actually made a few changes in SP2 to address some of these issues too. =Oct 12 2006 2:08PM= Sorry – this bug was actually moved to SP3, not Katmai =Jan 22 2007 2:24PM= Thank you for reporting this issue. It should be fixed in later version of SSIS. =Dec 13…

17. The MDX exponential operator "^" is not documented, even in the latest BOL drop

The exponential operator ^, as in 7^2 = 49, is not included in the operators reference page for MDX (ms-help://MS.SQLCC.v9/MS.SQLSVR.v9.en/mdxref9/html/1cdb8c31-a5f6-4430-b509-f81344f4622a.htm). This may indicate other base operators are missing as well.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Setting SMTP ConnectionManager Runtime Expressions

Using Variable to set the Expression for the SmtpServer. Then setting the variable as a runtime parameter, the connection string does not get evaluated to the runtime setting of the variable. It continues to use the value set statically on the variable within the package.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 1 =Jul 21 2006 3:04PM= Thank you for using SQL Server Integration Services. We are investigating this issue. For now, One work around is to create a property expression on the entire connectionstring property rather than just the smpt server. =Jul 24 2006 9:09AM= I have attempted to set the connectstring property, using expressions and user variables, but it fails to validate that the expression is valid. Do you have an example of an expression setting the connection string where the smtp_server would be a user variable? If so, I will give that a try. Thanks. =Nov 16 2006 7:32AM= Not Able to Repro on RTM build DTExec /F package.dtsx /SET “\Package.Variables[User::SMTPServer]”;“GOODSMTPServer” OS: Win2003 SP1 x64 and x86 SSIS: RTM Dev ENG =Nov 16 2006 7:33AM= Not Able to Repro on RTM build DTExec /F package.dtsx /SET “\Package.Variables[User::SMTPServer]”;“GOODSMTPServer” OS: Win2003 SP1 x64 and x86 SSIS: …

19. xml schema collection does not properly validate an xsd:dateTime

An xml schema collection will produce an error when it tries to validate an xsd:datetime that does not end with Z. As far as I can tell from the XML Schema rec' the Z is optional. Other schema validator accept as valid xsd:datetime without a Z at the end. CREATE XML SCHEMA COLLECTION TimeTest AS '<xsd:schema xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema&quot; targetNamespace="TimeTest"> <xsd:element name="date" type="xsd:dateTime"/> </xsd:schema>' DECLARE @x xml(TimeTest) SET @x='<date xmlns="TimeTest">2002-10-10T12:00:00</date>' /* Produces this error Msg 6926, Level 16, State 1, Line 3 XML Validation: Invalid simple type value: '2002-10-10T12:00:00'. Location: /*:date[1] */ -- works as expected DECLARE @x xml(TimeTest) SET…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 6 =Sep 8 2006 3:52PM= Dear Dan Thanks for your feedback. You are indeed correct that XML Schema allows values with and without timezone to be validated and processed and that our other validators support it. However, since the SQL Server architecture does not support such a complex datetime type yet, we had to make an implementation decision on whether to support only values with or without timezone in the SQL Server 2005 release. After consulting several hundred beta customers we decided to require the timezone. Current workarounds include: 1. Change the schema type to xs:string (you will lose operational semantics) 2. Store the XML data without a schema constraint, perform the schema validation on the mid-tier or use the SQLCLR to write a function that passes the XML and XML Schema to the validator. 3. Make sure that the generated values associate a timezone. We are working on…

20. Modal Windows Displaced Erroneously on multimonitor PC

Provided I use two monitors with my laptop, when I disconnect one of them, some modal windows (e.g. the one for deleting a table/object) is displayed erroneusly with a "negative" offset, id est, it goes where it thinks the 2nd monitor shoul be.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 1 =Oct 12 2006 4:19PM= Hi Giovanni Costagliola, We are going to see if we can repro this in our lab. We’ll keep you informed of our findings. Thanks, Terrence Nevins SQL Server Program Manager =Jul 3 2007 11:29AM= Hi Giovanni, This issue has already been submitted. You can track it using: http://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=154063 Thanks, Dan Lead Program Manager SQL Server Manageability =Jul 3 2007 11:30AM= Sorry – I updated the wrong item. This is the active item. Please ignore my previous comments. =Oct 25 2007 7:53AM= Thanks for this feedback. I have converted this request to either a defect (something is broken) or a Design Change Request (something new to add to the product) and so I’ll close this ticket out. We will consider your information for SQL Server 2008 or a subsequent release. Thanks! – Buck Woody, SQL Server Program Manager =Jun 30 2011 3:33PM= I am guessing…

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base