SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Regex functionality in pattern matching

It would be good to be able to have full regex capabilities when using LIKE or Patindex.

It would also be good to have a regex table function that returned matches.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

4 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 419

<=-=Mar 8 2007 3:20AM=-=>

I agree with the functionality request, but not the suggested approach of enhancing the LIKE, PATINDEX or adding a table function.

This functionality should be implemented by supporting the SQL99 SIMILAR predicate (ISO 9075 feature T141, ISO 9075-2-1999 section 8.6).

<=-=Mar 21 2007 1:23PM=-=>

I echo the wish to not overload LIKE or PATINDEX. Personally I don’t like SIMILAR either, though. How about a REGEX function with REGEX somewhere in the name?

<=-=Aug 20 2007 10:21PM=-=>

Hello,

First of all i would like to thank all of you for sending your feedback to us. We are definitely going to consider adding this capability in the query language in a future release. However, until then have you considered using CLR integration for this purpose. .NET has the capability and it is very simple to use .NET to add this capability…

2. Add backup configuration to the setup process for SQL Server.

What I’m asking for (besides you to upvote that User Voice item) is for Microsoft, as part of SQL Server setup, to add two new screens. The first would be called “Backup”—it would offer a dire warning to the effect of:

In order to protect the data in your databases, Microsoft strongly encourages you to take backups of your data. In the event of hardware failure, data corruption, or malicious software, Microsoft support will be unable to help you recovery your data, and you will incur data loss. This box is checked by defaults to enable automatic daily backups of…

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Setup + Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. SSMS Standard Reports -- Include as .rdl files

Include the standard reports as .rdl files so that they can be modified and saved back into the "Custom Reports" folder.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Enable Network Compression (compress TDS stream)

When transferring data between SQL instances on different servers, network sometimes becomes a bottleneck. If the size of the payload can be compressed prior to transmit perf may increase (given adequate resources to process the compression).

Consider adding the ability to compress the TDS stream for future a SQL Server release.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 80

<=-=Feb 20 2009 10:20AM=-=>

Dear Customer,

Thank you for helping us improve our products!
    The issue of TDS compression has come up already, and we are considering possibilities. As you mention, it is not a something that would provide a benefit in all scenarios. We need to spend some time justifying the need for it and thinking about a safe way to enable without negatively impacting existing use cases. We�ll keep the issue open until make a final a decision, and we�ll keep you updated of the progress.

Meanwhile, please take a look at this link that explains how Windows Server 2008 does TCP compression for SQL Server 2008, which might be sufficient for your scenario – http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd263442.aspx.

Thanks again,
    Zlatko Michailov
    Program Manager, SQL Protocols

<=-=Sep 8 2009 8:34AM=-=>

We typically see this when we want to move large amounts of data between SQL Servers over…

5. Allow Sub Folders in SSRS Projects

I think that it would be great if we could create sub folders under the Reports folder of a SSRS project in BIDS so that if we needed to create folders for our reports on the Report Server we wouldn't have to keep them in separate projects with separate data sources.

I know that we can have multiple projects in a single solution, but this is just a work around. I've got a dozen projects in a single solution in BIDS and when I make changes to reports in different folders that are related but for business reasons are in…

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 309

<=-=Feb 2 2012 2:12PM=-=>

Additionally, having a hidden folder for sub reports would be a BIG improvement. I can do it in Report Builder, but not in Visual Studio. That is BACKWARDS. Give the developer more power than the end user, not LESS! The current limitations are very counter productive.

<=-=Aug 6 2012 3:04AM=-=>

47 votes – and no answer from microsoft in 3 years.

I would like either this – OR to have shared data sources and shared datasets at the solution level as well.

Basically i need a way to have different deployment options (where to deploy to etc) but have shared data sets and sources across multiple projects.

<=-=Sep 13 2012 2:29AM=-=>

I wouldn’t minds but visual studio natively has the facility to create your own folder structure, its been disabled in BIDS!

I ended up having to write an app to…

6. Partition Table using min/max functions and Top N - Index selection and performance

Partitioned Tables performance issues - For select statements using Min and Max functions and Top N with ordering over an index.

Poor performance is being detected for Queries on partitioned tables utilising the min and max functions and select Top N clause with "order by" matching columns of the index.

The candidate index is either not being used or is being used to scan or seek all rows rather than a subset.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 125

<=-=Aug 10 2007 9:17PM=-=>

Hi Microsoft, please confirm this optimizer problem by running the scripts, it is self evident and can be optimised significantly better.

Eg. For a minimum, the optimal plan is to obtain the minimum for each partition using the index and then taking the minimum of all the (partition) results. The same principle can apply to maximum, and for Top N over an index …

The plan should stand out as optimal, because the number of reads over the index is very small, and there will be one set of page reads (usually only one page) for each partition…. you can use the assumption that the number of partitions is significantly smaller than the number of rows (or even count the number of partitions), to estimate the cost (page reads) – which comes out at about N pages where N is the number of partitions.…

7. Add optional checks for more robust development

As programming environment SQL Server has shortcomings that are entirely
    inappropriate for enterprise development. In a modern programming language,
    the compile tries to catch as many errors as possible. The earlier errors
    are found, the cheaper it is to fix them. And nothing is as cheap as a
    compiler slapping the error in your face. Errors normally not caught by
    SQL Server when you create a T-SQL modules are:

o If a query refers to a missing table, SQL Server is completely silent;
    you don't get the error until run-time.

o In fact, when query refers to a missing table,…

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 201

<=-=Aug 23 2007 11:00PM=-=>

The last suggestion (regarding wrong join clauses) was also posted by me in Feedback ID 150032. You can close my suggestion as a duplicate of this one.

Razvan

<=-=Jan 30 2008 2:49PM=-=>

Hello Erland

Thanks for sending in this feedback and for clearly listing the conditions for which detection at compile time would enhance the development experience. We are tracking these as potential enhancements to T-SQL in a future SQL Server release.

SQL Server Engine Team

<=-=Feb 5 2008 1:44PM=-=>

The option to disallow implicit conversions definitely gets my vote. I’d like to see a separate setting for that. Something like: ALTER DATABASE SET IMPLICT_CONVERSION OFF;

<=-=Jun 14 2008 1:46PM=-=>

I developed this idea in an article on my web site. In this article I go into more depth how this feature should work with reagards to missing tables. I have…

8. Make Latin1_General_(100)_CI_AS the default collation for US English

This description is identical with:
    https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=357973

When installing SQL Server you need to select a server collation. However, Setup permits you to go with a default. This may seem convenient, but it often backlashes, because the default is unsuitable for a number of reasons.

A real-world case: I was contacted by a guy who was fearing for his job, if he could not get some speed out of his database. The query he show me was a simple lookup the PK. The problem was that the application (using Java in Websphere) worked with Unicode, but the table had varchar keys.…

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Setup + Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 10

<=-=Aug 6 2008 10:15AM=-=>

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your ideas. As you say this one is somewhat less revolutionary than not having a default collation at all; you’re also right that the major obstacle in doing it is a back-compat. That being said the idea is still being discussed. I will keep you informed on the results of the discussion.

Thanks,
    Krzysztof Kozielczyk

<=-=Aug 6 2008 12:07PM=-=>

I would be intrigued to know, what exactly is this backwards compatibility issue about? The only I can think of is existing scripts for unattended install, but I would expect such scripts to require modifications for new versions of SQL Server anyway. Is there something I have overlooked. I would appreaciate if you could details this, either here, or via private note over email.

<=-=Mar 17 2011 11:24AM=-=>

Hello Erland,

Thank you for submitting this suggestion, but we’re trying to…

9. Provide a hint to force generation of a parallel plan

The SQL Server query optimizer often chooses a serial plan (with a significant estimated cost) where a parallel plan would execute much faster.
    Often, the desired parallel plan costs only very slightly higher than the serial version.

The root cause can usually be traced back to optimizer model limitations, other simplifying assumptions made by the costing component, unavoidable cardinality estimation errors in moderately complex plans,
    or the use of operations that do not allow us to give the optimizer good information about the cardinality and distribution of output values (e.g. CLR functions).

To be clear, the motivation for this suggestion…

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 220

<=-=Dec 21 2011 10:50AM=-=>

Thanks for the suggestion. We will consider this for a future release. There is an undocumented trace flag 8649 to set the cost overhead of parallelism to 0. This may provide some relief, but is not a full solution. You can use it in a query hint in the form OPTION.

Best regards,
    Eric Hanson
    Program Manger
    SQL Server Query Processing

<=-=Dec 21 2011 3:39PM=-=>

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the very quick response. TF 8649 is indeed very helpful – perhaps we’re not so far away from seeing a PARALLEL_PLAN or MINDOP hint as I thought! Very cool, thanks again.

Paul

<=-=Feb 20 2014 1:02AM=-=>

Any update on this? a normal hint would be much better than some undocumented or short term workarounds.

<=-=Jun 8 2014 10:04PM=-=>

Any update? It’s been a couple of years….

<=-=Dec 1 2014 1:26AM=-=>

I have major problem…

10. Assign default measure in an SSAS tabular model solution

It would be great to have an option to assign a calculated measure as a default measure. This feature is not available while creating a tabular model solution. Though there is an option while creating a multidimensional cube using SSAS.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Allow SSRS Parameter Panel to be formatted

The parameter panel layout for a SSRS report cannot be customised in any way. This is a major flaw and often a reason that SSRS is rejected as an end user tool. The parameter panel has changed very little since the initial release of SSRS and looks dated

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 185

<=-=Apr 1 2010 8:04AM=-=>

It would be really nice to be able to use other input controls at the very least. We always talk about “end-user experience” but that concept doesn’t seem to reach to end-users running SSRS reports. Multi-value drop-down lists only go so far for input, particularly with reports that use KPI—ah, wouldn’t it be nice to have a slider!?

<=-=Apr 26 2010 10:59AM=-=>

Thank you for the suggestion and we do agree with you. We are looking at improving the parameter story in our next release. We agree with your idea for using sliders and other more “up to date” features. Look for changes in SQL11 and possibly Dev11.

<=-=Feb 23 2011 9:24AM=-=>

OH YES!

- Placement control, at the very least a “ForceToLeftColumn” for a parameter or a separator
    - Size control. As it is, single-choice dropdowns grow with the contents with…

12. SSMS debugger should show the contents of TSQL table variables

Inability to see the contents of TSQL table-valued parameters or local table variables within the Auto/Local pane seriously impedes the ability to debug TSQL code that depends on them.

There are workarounds, for example this one...

http://stackoverflow.com/a/6748570/533120

...but they are tedious and tend to "eject" the developer from the current "mind-frame" exactly at the moment this ejection is most harmful - when trying to understand a complex bug.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

unplanned  ·  3 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Debugging Stored Procedure in SQL Management Studio

While debugging the yellow cursor-line will become misplaced (see attached image)

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

unplanned  ·  6 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Need VIEW DEFINITION permissions per database

A common question on the newsgroups is "What do I need to do so that users in Mgmt
    Studio only see the databases they have access to?". Surely, they are accustomed to
    this from SQL 2000, where EM would behave this way. Alas, there were issues with
    how EM implemented this. It went and checked every database, and this could be
    costly, particularly if there were many databases on auto-close.

What is possible in SQL 2005, is to revoke or deny the permission VIEW ANY DATABASE.
    However, this is too far-reaching, because now users can only see the system databases …

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 258

<=-=Apr 6 2008 6:30PM=-=>

Hi Erland,

Thank you for your suggestion. We will investigate a solution for a future version of SQL Server (post 2008).

Il-Sung Lee.

<=-=Jun 11 2010 12:51PM=-=>

Surely a change could also be made to SSMS as well? When it parses master.sys.databases it could conceivably filter those results. Whilst not a foolproof method, at least it would work as a quick temporary solution (considering this was posted 3 yrs ago).

<=-=Sep 23 2010 4:12PM=-=>

The problem with changing SSMS is that it doesn’t strictly fix the issue as anyone who is determined to discover the other databases would just directly query the server metadata. As such, I think we need to investigate a solution this for all cases, not just SSMS.

Il-Sung.

<=-=Aug 3 2011 7:12AM=-=>

Has there been any new development for this suggestion? As an organization, we’d like to see this…

15. Add support for OVER (ORDER BY) for CLR Aggregate functions

Currently, there is no way to specify aggregate function processing order - and, indeed, the IsInvariantToOrder property of the SqlUserDefinedAggregate attribute has no effect.

This can be important for string concatenation aggregates, as the strings may have to be aggregated in a specific order. The ability to use a clause such as:

SELECT dbo.StringConcatenate(StringValue) OVER (ORDER BY ID) FROM dbo.MyTable

This would mean that you could support better forms of aggregation, and that other aggregates could be implemented in a more succinct way (for example, a median aggregate could benefit from knowing that input was ordered).

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 36

<=-=Oct 8 2010 11:58AM=-=>

Hi Matt,
    Thanks for your feedback. We will consider it for a future version of SQL Server. Please note however that the syntax you are proposing doesn’t achieve what you are looking for. The ORDER BY within OVER clause controls the ordering of the window and not the order of rows to the aggregate. We support OVER clause (excluding ORDER BY clause since we don’t have it) already for CLR aggregates. So if we extend OVER clause to support ORDER BY it will work with existing CLR aggregates also.
    ANSI SQL:2008 and earlier has a feature called ordered set functions that use a WITHIN GROUP specification. One such aggregate is PERCENTILE_CONT which looks like:

PERCENTILE_CONT( ) WITHIN GROUP (ORDER BY )

Once we support the above syntax for ordered set function, we will consider extending the CLR Aggregate contract to do the…
  16. Enable SQL Agent Proxies to run T-SQL Job Steps

It is not possible to run a T-SQL job step under a SQL Agent Proxy. This has an impact on how security is managed since one undesirable answer is to grant more rights than originally specified.

If the cumbersome workaround below is used, it makes the deployment of the job more complex. It is possible to run the T-SQL through Operating System or Powershell steps. Often this means deploying a script to the file system that can be run. As follows:

SQLCMD -Q"EXEC StoredProcedure" -E -S Servername
    SQLCMD -i \someplace\script.sql -S sqlserverinstance -E

However, this approach is not symmetrical in…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 86

<=-=Dec 27 2010 12:13PM=-=>

Hello Russell

Thank you for proposing a new DCR for SQL Agent. We are always looking forward for the customer feedback. We will consider your proposal in one of our future releases.

Thank you
    Alex Grach

<=-=Jan 25 2011 5:04PM=-=>

This functionality seems essential. Why won’t there be a SQL Agent Proxy? In many scenarios there is a Service Account under which all things run and that service account is normally a domain account – which may or may not have permissions to run SQLCMD or Powershell etc.

<=-=Jan 25 2011 5:08PM=-=>

Besides, if we run SQLCMD and the Sproc or Query errors out, the job agent steps still are marked successful. There is not robust error handling mechanism using SQLCMD from the Job Agent

<=-=Mar 23 2011 1:23PM=-=>

Although it is possible to “simulate a proxy” by granting impersonation rights to a proxy…

17. ALTER COLUMN IDENTITY

Provide an ALTER COLUMN syntax to add or remove the IDENTITY property of a column. This will allow an IDENTITY to be changed without dropping and recreating the table.

This is not only a convenience but is actually important for some scenarios:
    1. Suppose the SELECT INTO was used to create the table. SELECT INTO is fast, but subsequently recreating the table just to setup the IDENTITY negates a lot of SELECT INTO's speed.

1. If the table is involved in replication, it is not possible to drop and recreate it.

A similar suggestion in Microsoft Connect involves the ability to…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 27

<=-=Jan 28 2008 6:27PM=-=>

Hello

Thank you for your feedback. The ability to modify the identity property of an existing column will certainly benefit the scenarios you’ve described. We’ll look into ways of enabling these scenarios in a future release of SQL Server.

SQL Server Engine Team

<=-=Jan 28 2008 6:28PM=-=>

Hello

Thank you for your feedback. The ability to modify the identity property of an existing column will certainly benefit the scenarios you’ve described. We’ll look into ways of enabling these scenarios in a future release of SQL Server.

SQL Server Engine Team

<=-=Jan 1 2011 2:09PM=-=>

Any update on this? It seems pretty ridiculous that the only way of changing a column to be an identity column is either to add a new column and drop the existing one (necessitating an update to every row in the table, wasting space from the dropped column…

18. SSRS: Export tooltips to Excel as comments

It would be nice if exporting a report to Excel resulted in the tooltips travelling with it and appearing in Excel as comments.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 56

<=-=Jan 13 2010 10:03AM=-=>

Hello,

Thanks for writing in with this feature request. While this feature isn’t available yet, we’ve flagged it for consideration for a future release of SQL Server Reporting Services.

Best regards,
    Chris B.
    SSRS Team

<=-=Dec 13 2012 7:57AM=-=>

How shit that you can’t do this already!! How did they never bloody think of this? Multi-billion dollar company, and they can’t think of anything innovative. Even Apple are better than Microsoft.

<=-=Apr 4 2013 12:42PM=-=>

Having worked with multiple companies over the years in the BI space there are two primary export/save as scenarios for the displayed report, Excel or PDF. When exporting to Excel, business clients invariably want all the richness of the report preserved to the extent possible. Lost tooltips is one example, charts rendered as bitmaps with no data behind is another.

We hope SSRS is actually moving to the…

19. Expand synonym to other entities (database, linked server)

Synonyms provide a great layer of abstraction, allowing us to use friendly and/or local names for verbosely named or remote tables, views, procedures and functions. I have often felt that they are lacking, however, in enabling us to abstract a database or a server.

In one system I have a CRMtest database and a CRMproduction database, and it would be nice to be able to change only a single synonym in order to move the main database from test to production. This is much easier than changing 80 synonyms that point to the individual objects inside the CRM…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 310

<=-=Dec 13 2007 9:53AM=-=>

Hi aaron,
    Thanks for your feedback on this. As I replied to another change request from you earlier (on a synonym support for Databases) we are unable to take up this alias/synonym support for databases in SQL Server 2008 due to time/resource constraints. We will definitely investigate this further to see if we can take this up in the next SQL Server release.

thanks
    Srini Acharya

<=-=Jun 6 2008 5:43PM=-=>

The inability to create database synonyms severely restricts the usefulness of synonyms in general. The use of synonyms is substantially complicated when moving from one database to another (e.g., Dev to UAT to Production) because you can’t create a synonym for a database. This would be a very useful feature and would likely increase the use of synonyms in a greater variety of projects.

<=-=Nov 18 2008 3:36PM=-=>

I’d like to see database synonyms…

20. Option to defer foreign key constraint checking until transaction commit

There are various "chicken and egg" scenarios where it would be desirable to defer the checking of referential integrity constraints until commit time on a transaction.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 106

<=-=Apr 20 2006 7:33PM=-=>

As a further example, consider flushing the contents of an ADO.NET dataset to the database server. Currently, the order of the updates is critical. It would simplify code design if you could just a) start a transaction b) send all the updates c) commit them.

<=-=Oct 13 2006 1:35PM=-=>

Hello Greg,

Thanks for the feedback. We are aware of this and looking into it for a future release.

Sameer Verkhedkar
    SQL Engine
    [MSFT]

<=-=Apr 9 2008 5:07AM=-=>

This is a duplicate of feedback id 124624.

The SQL ANSI-92 standard is to defer constraint checking until the commit phase – only 16 years ago now.

It is not a question of performance or faster dev, it is a fundamental to any database to be able to change a record from one consistent state to another consistent state within a transaction,…

• Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base