SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server 2017 powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server 2017 brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. SSMS 17.3 Font and Color setting limit changes to 4 areas

After upgrading to ver. 17.3 of SSMS 2017, I am unable to enlarge the default font size used for grids or the object explorer (Environment Font). After running a search I several posts in the SQL Server Forum, but after trying the fix mosts sided, which was uninstalling 17.3, then install 17.2 and do the upgrade to 17.3. This was ineffective for me and others.

Under "Show settings for:" instead of listing all the options that should be listed, I see only the following. This is obviously a bug. Has anyone found a solution that fixes this problem?

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

5 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. new TRANSLATE function syntax not recognized by SSMS 17.3

The new TRANSLATE function is not recognized as valid syntax by SSMS 17.3 intellisense, though it executes just fine against SQL Server 17 instances. The TRANSLATE syntax is underlined in red with the warning "'TRANSLATE' is not a recognized built-in function name"

Tested against SQL Server 17 RTM.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  6 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. SSMS v17 - Object must implement IConvertible. (mscorlib)

When a query is selected with the mouse/keyboard, and then "Analyze Query in Database Engine Tuning Advisor" option in the context menu is selected the following error appears.

"The argument type 'server type = Sql, server name = KSHQ-DB, timeout = 30, database = KSH_Cloudcare, protocol = NotSpecified, workstation = , integrated security = True' cannot be converted into parameter type 'Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Common.SqlConnectionInfo'. (mscorlib)
    Object must implement IConvertible. (mscorlib)"

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. SSMS Install with SQL Server 2016 causes Device Manager conflict on VS location sensor driver

If you take (as an example) a clean machine, with no VS or SQL Server yet, install SQL Server 2016 (say community but doesn't matter), Device Manager is fine, no conflicts (no VS location sensor driver yet)...Then you install SSMS (production/GA version 16.5.3), you get a Device Manager conflict (yellow exclamation mark/can't load driver error) on a new sensor entry called "Microsoft Visual Studio Location Simulator Sensor".

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Incorrect GrantedQueryMemory(KB) Value on SQL Performance Dashboard or SSMS17.9

The inbuilt SQL Dashboard within newer versions of SSMS displays report for GrantedQueryMemory(KB) column for current request sub report. The value displays the wrong number as output displayed is in bytes while column says KB.

I have verified using the dmv "sys.dm_exec_query_stats" which lists this number in no.of pages which later is converted to KB

When checking within rdl file we can see that conversion is made with expression as =8192 * Fields!granted_query_memory.value which gets this value in bytes.

Therefore we might need to change that expression to = 8 * Fields!granted_query_memory.value

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. SSMS pop-up windows/forms on same screen where SSMS window is active.

When right clicking in the object explorer on an element, i.e., "Tables" and wanting to perform an action such as filtering tables by going to Filter > Filter Settings, the filter settings form can appear on the other screen than where SSMS is currently active -- which is quite distracting.

I believe this is due to the initial position of SSMS on startup. If you move the SSMS window to another screen, the opening of forms/windows etc. will remain on the original screen and not follow the main SSMS window.

Watch this clip: https://d.pr/v/v7dq8v
    Notice that you can only see…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Locate backups in azure container fails when Shared Access Signature contains sip parameter

1. I have a SAS created as here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/relational-databases/lesson-1-create-stored-access-policy-and-shared-access-signature, but i added ip restrictions (IpRange argument in GetSharedAccessSignature ), so that sas contains paramter sip=x.x.x.x-y.y.y.y
    2. When I use this SAS in SSMS 17.4 to restore the backup, then in the "Locate Backup File In Microsoft Auzre" popup i cannot see any files. The reason is that SSMS issues invalid rest call, as it does not include the sip parameter, and that is the reason why the call is not authorized.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. SSMS - Grid Results Background Colour

Please can you fix the issue with the grid results background colour being ignored in SSMS? If you try and change the colour, it always stays at white. This bug has been around since SQL 2005!!! Surely it's just one line of code, "background.color=xxxx"? - How can you let this bug drag on for at least 11 years!! The dark themes in Visual Studio work perfectly, why can't we have this is SSMS?

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. After SSMS Update to v17.8.1 I get Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AppLocal

Don't really use replication server, so I didn't think this fit into that category, but the update to SSMS certainly messed up something....

After updating my SSMS from v17.7 to v17.8.1, I get the following error. I also have Visual Studio Professional v15.7.5 and SQL Server 2017 Developer Edition. Yesterday, uninstalled SSMS, repaired VS v15.7.5, and reinstalled SQL Server 2017 Developer, which took forever, but everything seemed to run fine. I was up and running and then I usually restart my machine when I leave and when I logged in this morning, I'm getting this error again (I'm assuming the…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. SQL Management Studio Copy Database Wizard Broken

Copy Database Wizard is not working for local copy operation. v17.5 There are previous bug reports when trying to copy a SQL201x -> SQL2017 DB using management studio 17.x . However, it appears you cannot copy a SQL2017-SQL2017 DB as well using the same wizard using the SMO option when copying without taking the DB offline. ERR: Property HasMemoryOptimizedObjects is not available for Database '[test]'
    File attached

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. SQL Object Scripting "Check for object existance" doesn't work as desired in SSMS

Ever since SSMS 2012, using this option has produced undesirable code. It worked fine in SSMS 2008 and 2008R2 and I would like some way to restore that functionality.

When scripting out a view, I want the script to be:

IF (view exists) DROP VIEW;

CREATE VIEW blah blah blah;

I want two steps: Drop and Create. And I want the generated script to run correctly whether or not the view is already there. (this applies similarly to triggers, stored procedures, functions, indexes, etc... anywhere you can script for 'drop and create').

I loathe the current behavior of using either…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. SSMS 18.1 still missing status bar colors

I posted this bug in the early betas and requested it again to be fixed after GA release but in 18.1 there is still no change.

The query status bar in SSMS 17 and older has been khaki for single server connections and pink for group connections. There is no color for either type in SSMS 18 and going into options and setting it to khaki and pink values is not retained after closing the app. This is very important indicator as a quick confirmation that I'm not in a milti-server query window before executing.

Tools -> Options -> Text…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. SSMS 18.0 doesnt opens, splash screen ends with a Sound

SSMS 18.0 doesn't opens, splash screen ends with a sound.
    Repair setup doesn't fix it.
    Issue is fixed after reinstalling SSMS. but reappears after some days.
    Windows Event Logs doesn't show any errors, pls confirm from where to find any logged errors for SSMS.

Windows 10 Enterprise 1809 OS Build 17763.437
    Visual studio Enterprise 2019 16.1.1
    Visual studio Enterprise 2017 15.9.12

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Make this uservoice usable

- Searching removes the "top ideas" option
    - no subproduct or labelling (SSIS, SSRS, etc)
    - Search is useless "ssis text qualifier embedded" I want all keywords not results like "VS 2017 SSDT SSIS Dark Theme fail" which contains

Unless it's by design?

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. SSMS Intellisense shows useless parameter names for functions like REPLACE, SUBSTRING

For functions like REPLACE, SUBSTRING, etc., the Intellisence shows the parameters as Expreession1, Expression2, etc. instead of useful parameter names like Expression, Pattern, Replacement. g (max. 5000 Zeichen)

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello

In both SSMS 17.9.1 as well as SSMS 18 Preview 6, both REPLACE and SUBSTRING functions show meaningful hints.
    For REPLACE we show – expression_to_be_searched , search_expression, replacement_expression .. etc.
    For SUBSTRING, we show expression, starting_positionm length etc.

If you are using older versions of SSMS, please update to the latest version as we are currently not supporting any versions older than 17.9.1.

thanks,
    Dinakar

16. SSMS error with SHOWPLAN_TEXT

When you enable the parameter "SET SHOWPLAN_TEXT ON; " The first query execution goes well and produces a query plan in text format, but the second one causes an error at the level of "mscorlib "

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. SSMS should not given an error when newsequentialid() used as a "default value or binding"

In SQL Server Management Studio 2008 RC0, when you enter "newsequentialid()" as the "Default Value or Binding", SSMS gives a dialog box that says "Error validating the default for column XYZ. Do you want to cancel your changes?"

This error message occurs whether or not you have set the RowGUIDCol property on the xolumn.

I have seen similar feedback items, mostly for SQL 2005, but there seems to have been no resolution in several years. I hope this can get fixed for SQL 2008.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Vulnerability Assessment reports lists users created WITHOUT LOGIN

I ran CREATE USER lilleman WITHOUT LOGIN in an SQL 2016 database. I then ran Vulnerability Assessment in that database, and this users was listed as oprhaned and to be removed. That seems wrong to me. The report should only list users that are expected to be mapped to a login but that are not.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. SSMS 18.0 refuses to start

SSMS 18.0 refuses to start after one or two days when it's installed. I have to uninstall and install it again. The day it is installed it starts fine. But on the next day the splash screen appears for one second - and then silence.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. SQL Server Management Studio 18 is not opening just a splash screen pops up.

SSMS 18 is worked for few days (4-5) and from today just a splash screen pops up.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base