SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server 2017 powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server 2017 brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

Do you have a comment or suggestion to improve SQL Server? We’d love to hear it!

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 1

<=-=May 11 2006 11:24AM=-=>

I have tried the steps you outlined below in RS 2005 SP1. They have worked for me: I was able to pass the credentials to main report and they were passed to the drillthrough report. This is a snippet from the master RDL I have used.

Drillthrough =Parameters!ConnectionString.Value click here

Please note that passing connection strings through report parameters URLs is not a secure method, I hope you only use it only for testing.

2. DBComms.error reading input

While trying to connect to SQL Server 2005 using jdbc I get the following exception:

com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException: DBComms.error reading input. Context:Read packet header, Unexpected end of stream, readBytes:-1, negative read result, PktNumber:0, ReadThisPacket:0, PktDataSize:4,096

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 0

<=-=Jan 26 2006 3:48PM=-=>

Hello medusa,

Thank you for your time in reporting this issue. Rest assured, the driver actually does connect to SQL Server 2005 databases! :-) I’m hoping this is just a configuration issue… I’ll need you to turn on some diagnostic logging to help me start looking at this. Could you set com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.TDS.DATA.level = FINEST in your logging.properties file and send to me – davido atmicrosoft. com – the results of the connection attempt? This will generate a dump of the on-the-wire protocol, which should hopefully allow me to tell you why the SQL server you’re trying to connect to is dropping the connection on you.

Thank you,
    —David Olix
    JDBC Development

<=-=Feb 9 2006 11:08AM=-=>

Hello again medusa,

Since we have been unsuccessful in attempting to contact you through this channel for additional information, we are closing this issue here.…

3. Encrypted Database Backup and restore

See theread below
    http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=308381&SiteID=1&mode=1

Thread name Encryption and database restore

Please assign to Laurentiu Cristofor

Basically I have a database created on ony one of several machines with encrypted data in it when I backup and transfer this database to another machine I cannon create the asymetric keys or the symmetric keys encrypted with the asymmetric keys

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Mar 24 2006 6:04PM=-=>

We are trying to repro this issue on one of our machines. On the first machine we restored the attached databases, the keys worked ok.

<=-=Mar 27 2006 6:44PM=-=>

We tried the backups on more machines, but we were not able to repro this issue. On all machines, the keys worked correctly after restoring the backups.

<=-=Apr 5 2006 7:00PM=-=>

Closing as NotRepro, as we have not been able to repro this issue on our machines. If you can get another database with a repro, let us know and we’ll investigate further.
    Thanks
    Laurentiu

4. Transfer Objects Fails - Source Table Does not exist

Set up Transfer object to copy one table from a source db to a destination db. Under the Destination Copy Options, wich should be Source Copy Options, under (Collection) I select the tables I want to copy from the source to the destination. When I run the package I get the following error:

Error: 0xC002F363 at Transfer Test Tables, Transfer Objects Task: Table "FiscalMonth" does not exist at the source.
    Task failed: Transfer Test Tables.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 3

<=-=Aug 23 2005 9:08AM=-=>

Does the table exist at the source? Is the table name correctly spelled? Do you have the package? If so, will you send it with the script to build the table you’re trying to transfer? Is this reproduceable with other tables? What version of SSIS are you using?

<=-=Aug 24 2005 2:12PM=-=>

Which version of SQL Server is being used? Probably if a newer version is used this problem may be solved.

This bug is not reproable as described. I need more info: Which version of sql server are used for source and destination? Are you choosing all tables, or a set of tables? Are you setting copy schema? … It is better to have the package attached. But I could copy a table from a source to a destination just fine.

<=-=Jan 18 2012 12:58AM=-=>

Please re-open.

This error msg shows when trying…

5. Failure to Install SQL Server 2005

Failure on installation process

Skipped: Action "UninstallForRS2000Action" was not run. Information reported during analysis:
    Action: "UninstallForRS2000Action" will be skipped due to the following condition:
    Condition "Action: InstallRSAction was skipped." returned true.
    Running: ReportChainingResults at: 2006/4/9 14:23:13
    Error: Action "ReportChainingResults" threw an exception during execution.
    One or more packages failed to install. Refer to logs for error details. : 1067
    Error Code: 0x8007042b (1067)
    Windows Error Text: The process terminated unexpectedly.

Source File Name: sqlchaining\sqlchainingactions.cpp
    Compiler Timestamp: Thu Sep 1 22:23:05 2005
    Function Name: sqls::ReportChainingResults::perform
    Source Line Number: 3097

---- Context -----------------------------------------------
    sqls::HostSetupPackageInstallerSynch::postCommit
    sqls::HighlyAvailablePackage::preInstall
    led due to cancel code received from…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Setup + Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Project Engineer

Will not install.
    Fails with Error 1706 in Application log as:
    Product: Microsoft SQL Server Native Client -- Error 1706. An installation package for the product Microsoft SQL Server Native Client cannot be found. Try the installation again using a valid copy of the installation package 'sqlncli.msi'.

System Configuration Check

- WMI Service Requirement (Success)

* Check Passed

- MSXML Requirement (Success)

* Check Passed

- Operating System Minimum Level Requirement (Success)
    * Operating System Minimum Level Requirement

* Check Passed

- Operating System Service Pack Level Requirement. (Success)
    Messages …

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Dec 5 2005 6:04PM=-=>

Thank you for your feedback.

In order to further diagnose the problem that you are reporting, we need to have the setup log files. They can be found in the latest .cab file at ProgramFiles\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\Log\Files. FYI, there is a summary error report at ProgramFiles\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\Log\Summary.txt that may help you to diagnose the problem on your own.

Please attach the cab to this bug report.

Radu Singer

7. CONVERT from string to datetime does not always work for ISO8601 format

When trying to convert datetime's fetched from XML we get errors.
    It seems SQL server does not like too much digits after the decimal point for the seconds.
    I have a lot of XML code with datetimes in it created from:

XmlConvert.ToString(DateTime.UtcNow,XmlDateTimeSerializationMode.Utc)

This function seems to generate dateTimes as follows:
    "2006-07-29T15:56:33.6946834Z"
    and SQL server does not like this.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 2

<=-=Sep 27 2006 6:44PM=-=>

Hi
    We are considering improvements to date & time in a future release of SQL Server that will address your feedback.

Thanks,

- Christian Kleinerman

<=-=May 3 2013 4:47AM=-=>

why can’t I vote for this topic anymore? what’s the status?

8. Poor query performance with: set statistics time on (SQL2K5)

The query become very slow when setting statistice time on

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Moving system databases data and log files to separate directories makes Service Pack 1 fail

I have had a lot of problems installing Service Pack 1 for SQL Server 2005 and I have found a bug in the installation. The service pack installation of the "Database Services" component fails and I get the following two error messages in the file SQL9_Hotfix_KB913090_sqlrun_sql.msp.log:

Failed to copy file "D:\SQLDATA\INSTANCENAME\mssqlsystemresource.ldf" to "D:\SQLDATA\INSTANCENAME\mssqlsystemresource1.ldf". Error 2

Failed to copy file "D:\SQLDATA\INSTANCENAME\distmdl.ldf" to "D:\SQLDATA\INSTANCENAME\distmdl1.ldf". Error 2

The problem seems to be that we have moved the data and logfiles for all the system databases to separate directories (mdf-file to D:\SQLDATA\<INSTANCENAME> and ldf-files to D:\SQLLOG\<INSTANCENAME>). We also change registry keys DefaultData and DefaultLog…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Cannot debug script component

Cannot debug a script component, this is contrary to BOL
    Debugging a Script Component
    To debug the code in your Script component, set at least one breakpoint in
    the code. You must close the VSA IDE to run the package. However, when
    package execution enters the Script component, the VSA IDE reopens and
    displays your code in read-only mode. After execution reaches your
    breakpoint, you can examine variable values and step through the remaining
    code.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 14

<=-=Aug 2 2005 10:52AM=-=>

The debugging feature for Script Component, unlike for Script Task, is not available in Yukon release. We will be looking into this for the follow up release. In the meantime, please use debugging strategy similar to what was done in Script transformation in DTS 2000 (i.e. tracing).

Best regards,
    Sergei Ivanov
    Integration Services Development Team

<=-=Nov 25 2011 3:16PM=-=>

This has been around a long, long time and has nothing been done YET?

PLEASE give us debugging in the Script Component!

1 2 165 166 167 169 Next →
  • Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Feedback and Knowledge Base