SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server 2017 powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server 2017 brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

Do you have a comment or suggestion to improve SQL Server? We’d love to hear it!

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. April CTP - Programmability node missing

The Programmability nodes is missing in Object Explorer in SQL Server Management Studio in two clean (after OS install) April CTP installs.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 1

<=-=Apr 20 2005 8:23AM=-=>

Hi Andrew,
    This is very strange since no one here has experianced the problem. Is there something unique about your installation? Was it on a clean machine ore did you do an upgrade from the Feb CTP to the April CTP.
    Thank you,
    Bill Ramos

<=-=Apr 20 2005 12:39PM=-=>

This issue does not appear to be rerpoducible in Yukon April 2005 CTP builds. Thanks for your feedback.

2. Unknown file type error during installation

I am getting unknown file type when trying to install the beta version of SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition. I got the copy at TechEd 205.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jun 20 2005 8:51AM=-=>

Thank you for reporting the problm. We need more information to help us troubleshoot the probelm. When are you seeing the error (e.g. when you put in the CD, during the setup dialogs, when the files are being copied, etc)? Does the error msg tell you which file is an unknown type?

3. Drastic performance drop on Windows Server 2003 and SQL Server 2005

At http://www.internet-ts.net I have setup Personal Site. Album section is full of pictures. Using HTTrack (http://www.httrack.com) to parse site to static HTML into local dir (testing site load) with 8 connections each of them with ~20kb in speed after ~145mb downloaded I have experienced decrease in performances from 100% to 1% and yet having loaded processor 100% 60:40 in favor of SQL Server process versus w3wp process. Issue is tested several times while trying to figure out what cause this issue leaving me without clue. I can test it more if someone has some directions since I have…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Setup + Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

<=-=Oct 19 2005 3:08PM=-=>

Dear acexman,

I would like to investigate your performance problem. But first I have some questions. When you say performance decreased, do you mean from SQL Server 2000, or from an earlier version of SQL Server 2005 (which version). Could you also say a bit about which technologies you are using to access SQL Server — T-SQL, ODBC, ADO, etc.

Could you look at the task manager while the system is running to determine what the memory requirements are for SQL Server and for w2wp, and tell me how they compare with your box’s physical memory size. Also, task manager will give you some idea how much paging is going on.

Then let’s see if we can identify a single query that is performing badly. One way to do this is to look at batch starts and ends in the…

4. Sept CTP - Books Online Help Favorites sticks open

Help Favorites in Books Online sometimes sticks open despite being set to auto hide.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Oct 19 2005 4:12PM=-=>

Thanks for your feedback. I was unable to reproduce this behavior, but I created a new bug for the team that owns the Help viewer so that they can keep an eye on the issue in the next release.

<=-=Dec 14 2005 5:24PM=-=>

Thank you for sending us this bug report. Can you please provide us with more information about how to reproduce this problem? What are the activities you are performing before the tool window opens up? Is the problem occurring with regularity (ie every 5, 10 or 30 min)?

Thank you,
    Filipk.

5. Sept CTP - Reporting Services fails to install

I selected to install ALL options of all folders in the Advanced pane of Setup (which I always do).

There was a complete failure to install Reporting Services!

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Sep 19 2005 7:40AM=-=>

Andrew, Thank you for submitting the bug report. In order to troubleshoot your problem we will need the setup log files. Please reactivate and attach the log files from:
    Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\log\files\*.log. You can zip the files before attaching them.

6. Unknown Error installing - April Microsoft SQL Server 2005 CTP 9.00.1116

Tried several times, simply get unknown error message

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jun 6 2005 8:24AM=-=>

My bad, I just saw the log files. The isssue shows up in the Core log file. There is an issue with WMI on your machine. WMI is required for SQL Server Setup to run. "Article: WMI Service Requirement, Result: Error
    Description: Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) is not functioning properly. Further checks cannot be performed. Action: Please make sure Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) is functioning properly.
    The SQL Server System Configuration Checker cannot be executed due to WMI configuration on the machine HP29674251632 Error:2147749891 (0×80041003).
    "

7. SQL Server 2005 Express with SQL Server Management Studio Express - Community Technology Preview (CTP) disrupts internet connectio

Installing SQL Server 2005 Express with SQL Server Management Studio Express - Community Technology Preview (CTP) disrupts internet connection and stops SQL 2000 Enterprise Manager being able to access remote SQL 2000 databases.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Mar 6 2006 12:12PM=-=>

Hi Stevie J,
    Thank you for your feedback. We are unable to reproduce your problem in our test environments using the steps in the repro provided. If the problem still exists and please review the repro information and supplement as required.
    Thanks,
    Ramesh Singh

8. Report Builder Drillthrough

Into Analysis Services Tutorial cube i defined the Internet Sales Details

dimension (rolap storage) and a drill-through action ( Internet Sales Details

colums to be displayed) following the tutorial steps. Now browsing the cube

with Cube Browser everything goes fine and the drillthrough works as

expected. Plus because i defined Internet Sales Details dimension to be not

visible this dimension is correctly not visible into the cube browser.

However after generating the report model of the cube, when I use this model

into Report Builder not only Internet Sales Details dimension is visible with

all its colums but the drillthrough…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Error message opening template under source control

Microsoft SQL Server 2005 - 9.00.1399.06 (Intel X86)
    Oct 14 2005 00:33:37
    Copyright (c) 1988-2005 Microsoft Corporation
    Standard Edition on Windows NT 5.2 (Build 3790: Service Pack 1)

Visual SourceSafe

We have custom SQL boiler plate templates for our dev group. We store in a version control library. When we open one of the templates from SSMS, we get the error below. The template still opens and we can work and save as something else, which is what we want. However, this exception is thrown everytime.

It is a nuisance. Is this a bug that will be fixed?

TITLE: Microsoft…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. detected incompatible components detected during sql server 2005 express installation

installation does not complete.
    dialog indicates incompatible versions of .net, visual studio, or pre sql server 2005 are installed
    none of these versions are installed (although visual studio and .net 1.1 & .net 1.1 sdk had been installed on this machine and were
    uninstalled... note: the uninstall did not remove 1.x folders from the folder C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework
    so they were manually removed
    version 2.0.50727 verified for mscorlib.dll as specified in SqlServer2005/RequirementsSQLEXP2005.htm#Before_you_install

separately installed .net 2 per install instructions (although the instructions also said that net 2 is installed automatically with ALL versions of sqlserver 2005, it said to perform this step) …

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Dec 19 2005 4:36PM=-=>

Please look at the Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup
    Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup*_Core.log file. It should have a bit of
    information in it saying what the conflict is and some GUIDs indicating
    the product codes of the conflicting programs. The section you are looking
    for will look something like this (and may repeat):

Running: PerformSCCAction2 at: 2004/6/27 13:54:12 Product “{982DB00A-9C4E-436B-8707-18E113BAA44C}” versioned 9.00.823 is not compatible with current builds of SQL Server.Expected at least version: 9.00.849 The Product Name is "Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Analysis Services Beta 2"

In this case, the offending product is �Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Analysis
    Services Beta 2" with a product code of
    “{982DB00A-9C4E-436B-8707-18E113BAA44C}”

If the programs are still visible in the Add/Remove Programs control panel (ARP),
    please remove them in the order specified by the readme file. If they are not in
    ARP, please run the following…

11. Jobs, Steps reviewing : Index was outside the bounds of the array. (SqlManagerUI)

When a job is being created, there is no problem with Steps.
    When reviewing the steps of a job created before, following error occured:
    Index was outside the bounds of the array. (SqlManagerUI)
    ----
    Advanced Information
    Details :

Index was outside the bounds of the array. (SqlManagerUI)

------------------------------
    Program Location:

at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SqlManagerUI.JobSteps.PopulateGrid(JobStepsData steps)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SqlManagerUI.JobSteps.Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SqlMgmt.IPanelForm.OnInitialization()
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SqlMgmt.ViewSwitcherControlsManager.SetView(Int32 index, TreeNode node)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SqlMgmt.ViewSwitcherControlsManager.OnBeforeSelection(Object sender, TreeViewCancelEventArgs e)
    ----
    Meanwhile, when a job is created, there is no problem with the job's execution.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 0

<=-=Feb 12 2006 8:04PM=-=>

Hi,

We tried to repro this problem but we couldn’t. Can you give us more details about the circumstances in which it repros?

Thank you,
    Ciprian Gerea

<=-=Feb 16 2006 5:08PM=-=>

We are closing this bug because we were not able to repro. If you have additional information please do not hesitate to contact us.

Thank you,
    Ciprian Gerea

<=-=Dec 8 2011 7:12AM=-=>

It should not have been closed as not reproducible.

I had the same issue this morning and found out what the issue was.

I had a job on SQL Server 2008 which has a step that was using Powershell as Type.
    Now, from my client machine, which had SQL Server 2005 client installed, I was looking at the job and was not able to go to Steps tab, getting the above mentioned error.
    The reason is that SQL Jobs steps in …

12. SQL 2005 Express fails on Install of Visual Studio 2005 Team Edition ENU

SQL 2005 Express fails on Install of Visual Studio 2005 Team Edition ENU. See attached log files for full dump of install, but actual error that causes failure is 'Error Code: 15151
    MSI (s) (68!BC) [16:47:39:387]: Product: Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition -- Error 29521. SQL Server Setup failed to execute a command for server configuration. The error was [Microsoft][SQL Native Client][SQL Server]Cannot alter the login 'sa', because it does not exist or you do not have permission."

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Feb 15 2006 1:16PM=-=>

Thank you for reporting this issue. Can you please include the log files from ProgramFiles\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Logs\Files? We need these in order to further investigate.

-Jeffrey Baker, SQL Server Lifecycle Platform Team

13. User defined function in SELECT clause incorrectly forces table scan

sql server incorrectly ignores indexes (performs table scan) when user defined function is specified in SELECT clause

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jun 14 2005 10:43AM=-=>

Using the latest server bits and the CTP15 build, I was not able to repro the problem using the repro script.
    Were there any
    . other steps in the repro process?
    . server settings that may be relevant?
    . traceflags on?

<=-=Jun 14 2005 11:51AM=-=>

Not exactly sure which release of Yukon.
    @@version value of instance exhibiting problem is:
    Microsoft SQL Server 2005 – 9.00.1116 (Intel X86)
    Apr 9 2005 20:56:37
    Copyright © 1988-2004 Microsoft Corporation
    Beta Edition on Windows NT 5.2 (Build 3790: Service Pack 1)

The repro script is complete and should reveal the problem (on the version above). No special settings on our instance (accepted defaults thru software installation process); Traceflags??? not familiar with them but don’t think they’re relevant.

If you can’t reproduce, I’ll presume it’s fixed in the latest version.

<=-=Jun 14 2005 4:15PM=-=>

Looks like a resolved issue…

14. SQL Server 2005 Express Edition Install - invalid Setup Bootstrap\setup.in

Install fails with the following message, although the directory is there and has lots of stuff in it.
    TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Setup

The log file path (C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\setup.ini) is invalid.
    * The path may contain invalid characters.
    * The file may exist but not be writable, the folder may not exist, the folder may be located on an unavailable volume or protected with a password, or the path may contain environment variables that are not set (e.g. TEMP). To proceed, make sure that the log file path is valid, writable, and available, and then…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Nov 30 2005 4:21PM=-=>

In order to further diagnose the problem that you are reporting, we need to have the setup log files. They can be found in the latest .cab file at ProgramFiles\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\Log\Files. FYI, there is a summary error report at ProgramFiles\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\Log\Summary.txt that may help you to diagnose the problem on your own.

Please attach the cab to this bug report.

Radu Singer

<=-=Dec 6 2005 5:48PM=-=>

Thank you for your feedback.

We had a developer review your error message and based on the code, he thinks the .ini file contains a [Logging] section with an invalid “Path” value. It appears to be a filename rather than a folder name.

Regardless, using the [Logging] section is not the correct way to do this, the customer should be using the “LOGPATH” command line param to set the…

15. File Import Data Conversion Errors

Trying to import a pipe-delim ASCII file using Import/Export Wizard from SS Mgmt Studio. Not able to change the data types and successfully import the rows. There were integer, float, nvarchar and date/time data types in the source data. Changing the data type on import from nvarchar resulted in failure to completely load the data. However, a small portion of the data did load without error.

The error report generated by the DTS is attached.

I was able to import the data by leaving all data types as NVARCHAR(125). After I imported the data, I successfully modified the table design,…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Feb 24 2006 11:08AM=-=>

Hi
    Thanks For bringing this to our attention.
    However, we need more info so as to proceed with investigation. Can you please provide us a piece of your source file which can reproduce your problem?

Thanks
    Wenyang Hu from Microsoft
    p.s.
    By default, if the source data can not be converted to the destination type (the type you specified), the Flat File will error. However if you do not want it to fail, instead, when it happens put null (or truncated value) in the destination column, you can also do so by modifying the Error Output – in the generated package, edit FlatFileSrc, click “Error Output”, you will be able to change the Error Handling there from “Fail Component” to “Ignore” or “Redirect” for each individual column.

<=-=Feb 28 2006 10:52AM=-=>

Hello, can you please respond with additional informaiton?
    Thank you for your time.

16. SQL Server 2005 Beta 3 Setup has detected incompatible beta components from Visual Studio or SQL Server.

When trying to install SQL Server 2005 developer edition setup gives this error :

"SQL Server 2005 Beta 3 Setup has detected incompatible beta components from Visual Studio or SQL Server. To proceed, use Windows Add or Remove Programs to remove previous SQL Server Yukon components, SQL Server Support Files, .NET Framework 1.2 and 2.0. Then run SQL Server 2005 Beta 3 Setup again. For detailed instructions on uninstalling SQL Server builds, see the SQL Server 2005 Beta 3 readme file.
    "

I Tried to run a cleanup program included in CD , it says that system is clean and…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Dec 19 2005 4:36PM=-=>

Please look at the Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup
    Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup*_Core.log file. It should have a bit of
    information in it saying what the conflict is and some GUIDs indicating
    the product codes of the conflicting programs. The section you are looking
    for will look something like this (and may repeat):

Running: PerformSCCAction2 at: 2004/6/27 13:54:12 Product “{982DB00A-9C4E-436B-8707-18E113BAA44C}” versioned 9.00.823 is not compatible with current builds of SQL Server.Expected at least version: 9.00.849 The Product Name is "Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Analysis Services Beta 2"

In this case, the offending product is �Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Analysis
    Services Beta 2" with a product code of
    “{982DB00A-9C4E-436B-8707-18E113BAA44C}”

If the programs are still visible in the Add/Remove Programs control panel (ARP),
    please remove them in the order specified by the readme file. If they are not in
    ARP, please run the following…

17. Can't Locate "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe"

After installing SQL Server Enterprise Edition it can't find "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe" file, but there is a shortcut in a menu saying that Business Intelligence Development Studio is installed... I couldn't find this file even using normal file search.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jan 5 2006 11:24AM=-=>

We can think of two issues that might have caused this:

1/ A prior installation of Visual Studio was installed on the box. It was then removed, but some registry keys were left. Setup detected what it thought was VS being installed, did not install it’s own version, then created the shortcut (which didn’t work).
    2/ A prior installaton of VS was installed, SQL Setup detected it, created the shortcut, then the VS was uninstalled.

If these do not match your scenarios, can you please attach the log files from Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\Logs\Files

<=-=Mar 1 2010 8:33AM=-=>

I get the same problem. Not sure what registry files are still there when I uninstall everything. I think that I am having the first problem you addressed.

<=-=Mar 1 2010 1:24PM=-=>

Figured it out, after two days of headache.

I had this same…

18. Test - please ignore

this is just a test

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Calendar control always accept date in MM/dd/yyyy format

Calendar control in Report parameter page gives an error when the selected date is in dd/MM/yyyy format.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 2

<=-=May 19 2006 4:52PM=-=>

We need some more information before proceeding with evaluating this issue:
    What tool were you using when this occurred – was it Report Manager or Management Studio. In general, Report Manager uses the input format based on your Accept Language header set by your browser. This header is set in IE using the Tools —> Internet Options —> Lanaguges button. If you are using Management studio, the input language should be senstive to the OS regional settings. Also, can you provide the values you tried in the repsective options based on the tool you used. Thank you.

<=-=May 19 2006 5:32PM=-=>

Microsoft comments: We need some more information before proceeding with evaluating this issue:
    What tool were you using when this occurred – was it Report Manager or Management Studio. In general, Report Manager uses the input format based on your Accept Language header…

20. Create full-text population schedule failed

TITLE: Full-Text Indexing Wizard Progress

Create full-text population schedule failed.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Failed to connect to server .. (Microsoft.SqlServer.ConnectionInfo)

An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 2)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=2&LinkId=20476

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Nov 2 2005 1:48PM=-=>

Thank you for reporting this issue. Unfortunately, we are unable to replicate the error that you have reported. The error, which appears to be related to establishing a connection, might be affiliated with networking protocols and/or operation of the related service and/or permissions/rights with which the user is attempting to complete the operation. Have you verified that connections are permitted to/from the local/remote SQL Server via: Start > Programs > Microsoft SQL Server 2005 > SQL Server Surface Area Configuration? If you could provide more details as to the configuration you are using to create the FT catalog and population, it might help isolate the issue.

• Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Feedback and Knowledge Base